PDA

View Full Version : Pop ups with OV

dbrook
29-01-2005, 11:59
Does anyone know if there is some way of blocking pop ups please.

I have been on the OV forum for about 15 minutes and have had 5 pop ups. They really get on my nerves:( Normally there is only one when the OV forum is first loaded and I can cope with that[^] However 5 is getting tiresome and I don't have anything else on my computer only the OV forum:(

Thanks for any help!

Nostromo
29-01-2005, 13:00
Pop-ups? I've NEVER had any (apart from OV's own DM alerts) popups since I joined OV in June 2003. I don't know if my Windows XP had a built-in pop-up blocker, cos I had to disable the one on the taskbar since it was also blocking access to links posted on Outlook Express. Still, I never get any popups on OVF even on my work computer where they are a problem with other sites.

Ray&Sarah
29-01-2005, 13:19
We currently have three pop-up blockers working on our computer, one is from our anti-virus software, one from the google task bar which shows above this window and blueyonder, our internet provider also have a pop-up blocker in place. Consequently we do not get popups which most of the time is great, until you want to view something that is classed as a pop-up and it won't let you.[msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
29-01-2005, 13:45
What pop ups are you getting Diane?
The only ones I ever get are the DM ons as Nostromo states.[msnsad]

Ruth
29-01-2005, 13:51
I have only ever had the pop ups for DMs too. I use a blocker, I can't remember if it is the Norton or the Google one or both[:I]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-01-2005, 14:17
There are no unsolicited popups on the forum. The only popup I can think of it the DM notification, as others have already mentioned.

Sounds like you have a spyware infection Diane - I'd recommend giving your PC a through scan using one of the spyware scanners (www.lavasoftusa.com, www.pestpatrol etc etc).

emm
29-01-2005, 14:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
We currently have three pop-up blockers working on our computer, one is from our anti-virus software, one from the google task bar which shows above this window and blueyonder, our internet provider also have a pop-up blocker in place. Consequently we do not get popups which most of the time is great, until you want to view something that is classed as a pop-up and it won't let you.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

We also have a pop-up blocker. It informs us when it is blocking a pop-up, but if we want to see it we can click and temporarily disable the blocker, which can be quite useful.

Nostromo
29-01-2005, 14:46
I have accessed the OV forum site from at least 7 or 8 different computers, including one from a remote Guest House in Finnish Lapland, but never encountered an 'outside' pop-up while doing it. So Dbrook, it looks like it may be you - or to be precise, your PC.

wilfy
29-01-2005, 15:29
Diane,
download the firefox web browser. It comes with a pop-up blocker.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

bellaepovera
29-01-2005, 15:48
I never get them either from OV..The Dms use to people up for me too but not anymore?? I sure do miss that.

dbrook
29-01-2005, 18:11
I thought it was strange. Thanks for all your advice. I will try the spyware scanner like you suggest John and then consider a pop-up blocker. My anti virus checker is coming up for renewal and I have just noticed I can pay a little more to have pop ups blocked.

Thanks again:D

andrewmckay5
29-01-2005, 18:44
Following on from this there is a very good article (with idiot proof instructions for people like me)
in the current "Webuser" magazine on keeping your PC "fit" as they say. Suggested free downloads for spyware,ad-ware etc.
andrew

Ray&Sarah
29-01-2005, 18:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
Following on from this there is a very good article (with idiot proof instructions for people like me)
in the current "Webuser" magazine on keeping your PC "fit" as they say. Suggested free downloads for spyware,ad-ware etc.
andrew
[/quote]

Sounds like that might be worth purchasing Andrew, will have to get Ray to take a look at it.[msnsmile]

chrizzy100
29-01-2005, 19:27
I use the pop up blocker on yahoo tool bar......Its worked fine over the last 6 months or so......it also has anti spywere....

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-01-2005, 19:53
I'd also recommend the free Microsoft AntiSpam product at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

Julieb
29-01-2005, 21:34
Hi Diane

Have any of your children downloaded MSN Messenger plus? I had a problem with pop ups a few months ago. I tried everything to stop them. I ran spyware and they would go away but soon come back. They drove me nuts! Once I deleted the MSN programme by daughter had downloaded they disappeared.

30-01-2005, 01:33
We have 7 different computers in the house and I have never had any pop ups on the OV [msnsmile]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-01-2005, 01:46
There are none. I know the forum code inside out and it's not our style to put annoying advertising popups on any of our sites as I know how annoying they are to users from my own experience of other websites. I would not do it, no matter how much I might be offered by potential advertisers.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
We have 7 different computers in the house and I have never had any pop ups on the OV [msnsmile]
[/quote]

30-01-2005, 01:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
There are none. I know the forum code inside out and it's not our style to put annoying advertising popups on any of our sites as I know how annoying they are to users from my own experience of other websites. I would not do it, no matter how much I might be offered by potential advertisers.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
[/quote]
[/quote]

I didn't think you would but its good to know[msnsmile]