PDA

View Full Version : Why Gated?

Nostromo
28-01-2005, 20:40
I would like to know why some people insist on 'gated' villa communities. The Orlando/Kissimmee villa communities seem as tranquil and safe as anyplace, certainly a lot better than some of our UK 'estates'. So, unless it is to protect little kids from traffic, I fail to see the logic behing the request.

PS: It may be just me. A gate reminds me of one of those hypothetical squeaky clean 'perfect' communities right out of 'Twilight Zone' where something is lurking beneath the sheen.

poohbear
28-01-2005, 20:42
last time we were in florida in the newspaper they were moaning about gated communities, because in an emergency it makes it difficult for the emergency services.to get access.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
28-01-2005, 20:53
Personally I've never worked it out either - on indeed why anyone would specifically buy on a gated community. I do not think gated communities are any better or worse than non-gated communities.

There are lots of really nice communities out there to suit all tastes - all of them are quiet and safe.

chrizzy100
28-01-2005, 21:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
I would like to know why some people insist on 'gated' villa communities. The Orlando/Kissimmee villa communities seem as tranquil and safe as anyplace, certainly a lot better than some of our UK 'estates'. So, unless it is to protect little kids from traffic, I fail to see the logic behing the request.

PS: It may be just me. A gate reminds me of one of those hypothetical squeaky clean 'perfect' communities right out of 'Twilight Zone' where something is lurking beneath the sheen.
[/quote]

I'm not a fan of gated...it makes me feel locked in.....and while you are putting in your number people are driving through the gates before you anyway..thats happened a few times we gone through gates with no-one working on them......they are slow to open...sometime they don't open at all...and you're stuck outside......they really are not needed unless you are in an area that is dangerous.....houses in gated get robbed.....mostly because people get careless in gated because they feel over safe.....

28-01-2005, 21:16
We have stayed on both gated and non gated, I think there is a slight increase in security with a gated and they look very pretty, but apart from that??

We were staying on Lindfields once and the villa across the street had an attempt burglary and the burglars had a car - maybe just maybe they would not have try this on a gated community?? The policeman said the burglars know which villas are rental homes as they often don't have mail boxes!!! [msnscared]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
28-01-2005, 21:21
That's not totally true - not every community has mailboxes - in fact most I know do not have the individual mailboxes.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal

We were staying on Lindfields once and the villa across the street had an attempt burglary and the burglars had a car - maybe just maybe they would not have try this on a gated community?? The policeman said the burglars know which villas are rental homes as they often don't have mail boxes!!! [msnscared]
[/quote]

E. Cosgrove
28-01-2005, 21:22
A lot of US homes do not have mail boxes. My BIL lived in Seattle on a very upmarket community, he had to go to the end of the street to collect his mail where there was a central location for mail boxes. It might be because our home is on a community still under development and there is building in the locality but you only have to drive on to the development in the evening or at the weekend and the security car is following you to see what you are up to!![msneek]

ste1010
28-01-2005, 21:24
We stopped on Westridge a couple of years ago and the gate was open the whole time anyway.

28-01-2005, 21:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
That's not totally true - not every community has mailboxes - in fact most I know do not have the individual mailboxes.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I was only quoting what the Sherif told me at the time[msnsad]

Ray&Sarah
28-01-2005, 21:33
There is a gated community near our villa that had the gates open 24/7 for the whole of the week we were there. Made us wonder why the bothered with the gates in the first place.[msnoo][msnsmile]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
28-01-2005, 21:40
I know you were. I just did not want the casual reader of this thread reading too much into it as I do not think it's generally true. I've also not heard of many burgularies on any community so would not want people to get overly concerned or worried.

Sure, crime happens in Orlando, the same as anywhere else in the world but I have to say the villa communities are by far and large very peaceful and crime free. I feel safer in Orlando than I do in the UK.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

chrizzy100
28-01-2005, 21:42
We have stayed on both gated and non gated, I think there is a slight increase in security with a gated and they look very pretty, but apart from that??

[/quote]

You only need a laptop PC and the right program to get the number to open the gates.....a lot of none rental homes have no mail boxes...they know the rentals by the signs on the swimming pools.....you need a gate man if you want to cut down the chance of someone getting in.......

28-01-2005, 21:52
I know you were. I just did not want the casual reader of this thread reading too much into it as I do not think it's generally true. I've also not heard of many burgularies on any community so would not want people to get overly concerned or worried.

Sure, crime happens in Orlando, the same as anywhere else in the world but I have to say the villa communities are by far and large very peaceful and crime free. I feel safer in Orlando than I do in the UK.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I agree totally John[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
28-01-2005, 22:08
the only reason we looked at gated is i just feel safer with my girls walking to the park/basketball court/games room etc, we stayed on florida pines and it was open, altho it was a lovely place, just felt that we needed just that slight touch of security, we drove to Terre Verda to meet up with jadehouse and had to give the name of the people we were visiting and their address, dont think the kids could wander off without someone asking , maybe i dont know, but thats my two pennorth worth!!!!

the decision in finding a villa is very tough so many beautiful villas to choose from!

Cruella DeVilla
28-01-2005, 22:21
The term gated can, according to our builder, just mean a community that is walled in so to speak i.e. fence or fancy wall to block it from the road.[?]

mm69340
28-01-2005, 22:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
the only reason we looked at gated is i just feel safer with my girls walking to the park/basketball court/games room etc, we stayed on florida pines and it was open, altho it was a lovely place, just felt that we needed just that slight touch of security, we drove to Terre Verda to meet up with jadehouse and had to give the name of the people we were visiting and their address, dont think the kids could wander off without someone asking , maybe i dont know, but thats my two pennorth worth!!!!

the decision in finding a villa is very tough so many beautiful villas to choose from!
[/quote]

I was visiting on Emerald Island once and all I had to say was I was here to see someone- no name no nada!

CDV- then Esprit is gated! [msntongue][msnwink]

I think a lot of owners are told this is the definition. A manned gated community is one with a guard on duty!

Ruth
28-01-2005, 22:56
Every home in our community has a mailbox and it is mixed residential and rental community:)

linda allen
28-01-2005, 23:14
We stayed on a gated community which we needed the code to get in or out. Actually as it wasn't manned you could just drive around the gates even if they were closed. Whats the point if they aren't manned? But I bet the owners payed alot in their home owners association costs for these. I have never quite worked out the value of gates.

ctgirlscout
29-01-2005, 02:26
Our community has a manned gate, which is a little more secure than having to put in an access code, but that's not to say that burgleries never happen. We had issues when a neighboring community was being built, and the fence was removed by the builder, of theives coming in from the back through the construction site. I think overall, it may be a little more secure than a non-gated community, but not much. If a thief is determined to hit a particular house, he will find a way.

E. Cosgrove
29-01-2005, 13:38
Thats the same world over, gated, non gated, alarmed, not alarmed if they want to they will find a way, it's just he opportunist criminal you need to beware of...they,re the same world over as well!!!quote]Originally posted by ctgirlscout
Our community has a manned gate, which is a little more secure than having to put in an access code, but that's not to say that burgleries never happen. We had issues when a neighboring community was being built, and the fence was removed by the builder, of theives coming in from the back through the construction site. I think overall, it may be a little more secure than a non-gated community, but not much. If a thief is determined to hit a particular house, he will find a way.
[/quote]

29-01-2005, 13:40
Town Centre seems well and trully gated, they have proper wrought iron gates about 7 feet high and the same on the pedestrian entrance. I wanted to go for a look round but there was no chance[msnscared]

steph_goodrum
29-01-2005, 15:29
I can understand the perception of security from a parents point of view. Most people dont need to worry about burglaries on their holiday, they are quite rare and the villas are as secure as hotel rooms (more so if like us they have a monitored security alarm for when you are leaving the villa empty, but as a parent if it seems that access is restricted to anyone who is not staying on the development so if you have children of around 10/11 who are just being allowed to go off on their own for a while to the community facilities etc then you feel a bit less apprehensive if you think that outsiders will not be there to approach them.
The reality is though that, the homes we rent out and the development require a large amount of upkeep and maintenance and there could be as many as 20 or more management companies, with associated ancillary staff, cleaners, pool men, general maintenance men, as well as groundcare staff comng and going.
When you add the guests take away orders etc that may be delivered you realise that it is virtually impossible to track everyone who enters and the real security, as at home is parental supervision and responsibility.
Giving the children walkie talkies is a good idea if it gives both sides reassurance that the other can be contacted easily.

E. Cosgrove
29-01-2005, 15:33
What asensible response Steph. I couldn't agree more

chrizzy100
29-01-2005, 18:09
I agree that you can't count on gates keeping your kids safe.....you still have to watch them and be with them and teach them to be careful of strangers.....so if you ask me....there is no difference between gated and ungated.....gates could stop your kids leaving the area....but then if you know they may do that.....don't let them out alone anyway...no matter what......

Sally D
29-01-2005, 19:03
Gated or not it is not something that we take into consideration when we are looking for a villa to rent. I feel safe while in Orlando and although I have 3 children they are with us at all times.

Nostromo
29-01-2005, 19:40
To my mind, the only useful purpose that a gate in a community might serve is prevent small kids from suddenly running out onto the main road. But that is of little practical value in the Orlando-Kissimmee Villa Communities, which are all large and have main entrances well away from the villas and at the end of relatively long drives. Small kids should not be allowed to wander that far on foot anyway, therefore making the whole idea of a gate redundant. Add to that the aforemntioned inconveniences of a gate (including access by emergency services), I would probably considerits presence as a minus point while looking for an ideal villa to rent or buy.

Ray&Sarah
29-01-2005, 19:50
I must admit that when we went villa hunting wether or not the house was on a gated community didn't even come into the equation.[msnsmile]

KJH
29-01-2005, 20:09
I agree Ray and Sarah,

When we used to rent we never looked for gated or not, it was the villas that sold us the home. We have been taking our 3 children since they were about 7 and the main issue is to know where they are and what they are doing. We as parents are responsible for that.

It doesn't change even now they are older. If someone wants to take a child they will find a way regardless of gates etc. Who's going to check the boot of a car leaving.

Kaz

Harry and Jayne
29-01-2005, 20:28
We stayed at The Sanctuary earlier this year which is gated. We arrived around 11 pm. The management company gave us the wrong code!!
We tried for ages but no joy. We did not have an out of hours number for the management co so we sat and hoped that someone else would come along and we could sneak in behind them, but due to the late hour this didn't happen. Eventually I belly crawled under the gates and knocked on a nearby door and woke up one of the residents who was very helpful and gave us the right code. Next day a bolt of lightning stuck the control panel and no one could get in or out. It was eventually fixed but for some reason the code was changed and no one told us. The management company were of no help as they did not know new number. I eventually got new code from the guy next door and had to phone management company to let them know what it was!!! I thought they were supposed to look after me not the other way round. Anyway from this I concluded that they are more aggro than they are worth

Harry

caroline
29-01-2005, 20:43
What a nightmare Harry[:O] - So on your next trip to Florida I guess you'll be looking for a gateless community;)

benfilo
30-01-2005, 00:19
Town Centre seems well and trully gated, they have proper wrought iron gates about 7 feet high and the same on the pedestrian entrance. I wanted to go for a look round but there was no chance[msnscared]
[/quote]

Perahps that's why they're having trouble finishing mine, the builders can't get in[msnscared]
When I was there the ped entrance wasn't locked, did you try it because I got the impression there wasn't a lock on it

30-01-2005, 00:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by benfilo
[/quote]

Perahps that's why they're having trouble finishing mine, the builders can't get in[msnscared]
When I was there the ped entrance wasn't locked, did you try it because I got the impression there wasn't a lock on it
[/quote]

Yes it seemsed to be locked too[msnsad]

benfilo
31-01-2005, 00:56
hi lucy,
I was there in October and must admit I wasn't paying that much attention, excitement due to our first vist to our part finished home, but I remember thinking at the time "anybody could walk in here". But like I said I'm not sure don't even know if the gate is coded or works by remote.

31-01-2005, 02:04
I am sure I tried the gates and they were all well and truly locked, It all looked very nice[msnwink]

emm
31-01-2005, 03:26
hi lucy,
I was there in October and must admit I wasn't paying that much attention, excitement due to our first vist to our part finished home, but I remember thinking at the time "anybody could walk in here". But like I said I'm not sure don't even know if the gate is coded or works by remote.
[/quote]

The gates are coded, but the home owners have a 'remote' thing to open them with.

Nostromo
31-01-2005, 11:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by emm

[i]
The gates are coded, but the home owners have a 'reomote' thing to open them with.

What do they do if they went out in a hurry and forgot to take this "remote thing"?

blott
31-01-2005, 14:48
Use the code? ;)

Nostromo
31-01-2005, 15:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Use the code? ;)
[/quote]

Sure, but it brings us back to the point that I am trying to make. If people discover that their remote control is truly 'remote' when they arrive at the gates late at night (pun intended), someone has to get out and punch-in the code to open the gates. A rather irritating ritual, I would have thought. That's why I feel gates at the main entrances of villa communities are superfluous.

31-01-2005, 17:19
I love the entrance to Town Centre its really pretty:D

chrizzy100
31-01-2005, 17:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Use the code? ;)
[/quote]

Sure, but it brings us back to the point that I am trying to make. If people discover that their remote control is truly 'remote' when they arrive at the gates late at night (pun intended), someone has to get out and punch-in the code to open the gates. A rather irritating ritual, I would have thought. That's why I feel gates at the main entrances of villa communities are superfluous.
[/quote]

You can put in the code from the car.....and watch 3 cars nip in before you......which makes the whole thing a joke.....

Nostromo
31-01-2005, 18:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100

No Chrizzy, you missed my point.....I was thinking of a scenario where people had [b]forgotten to take the remote control with them (and hence the 'remote' remote [:o)]), they would then have to get out of the car to punch in the code, right?

blott
31-01-2005, 18:46
Not necessarily. Just like drive through banking or toll roads, you normally just have to open your window to put in a code.

chrizzy100
31-01-2005, 18:55

No Chrizzy, you missed my point.....I was thinking of a scenario where people had [b]forgotten to take the remote control with them (and hence the 'remote' remote [:o)]), they would then have to get out of the car to punch in the code, right?
[/quote]

No..you don't have to get out of the car....unless you have a very low one like mine.......you can punch in the numbers sitting in the car.....

Nostromo
31-01-2005, 19:32

[i]
No..you don't have to get out of the car....unless you have a very low one like mine.......you can punch in the numbers sitting in the car.....

Oh I see! Sorry, looks like I was the one who missed the point! Thanks.
BTW, which make/model is this "very low car" of yours? A Ferrari?

chrizzy100
31-01-2005, 21:16

[i]

Oh I see! Sorry, looks like I was the one who missed the point! Thanks.
BTW, which make/model is this "very low car" of yours? A Ferrari?
[/quote]

No its a Saturn coupe.....[msnsmile2]

benfilo
01-02-2005, 00:44
hi lucy,
[/quote]

The gates are coded, but the home owners have a 'remote' thing to open them with.
[/quote]

hi emm, have you found out what they're building outside the gates yet?

emm
01-02-2005, 01:14
Hello Benfilo

I believe it is a condominium development. But who knows?? [msnsmile2]

benfilo
01-02-2005, 01:37
Hello Benfilo

[/quote]

a bar would be nice, if i could get the gates open that is[msnwink]

emm
01-02-2005, 03:41
Hello Benfilo

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'll lend you my remote 'zapper' so that you can get in. [msnwink]

Katys Grandad
01-02-2005, 10:05
I'm sure there are real security benefits for residents of gated communities when they are truly residential and the comings and goings are largely limited to the people who live there and known service companies. I think I would feel safer in on of those. Very often the 'feeling' safe part is more valuable whatever the reality.

However, judging by the posts on this thread they are next to useless in rental communities where a significant number of the inhabitants are changing weekly if not daily. If I was renting it wouldn't be that much of a factor for me.

Nostromo
01-02-2005, 11:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
I'm sure there are real security benefits for residents of gated communities when they are truly residential and the comings and goings are largely limited to the people who live there and known service companies. I think I would feel safer in on of those. Very often the 'feeling' safe part is more valuable whatever the reality.

However, judging by the posts on this thread they are next to useless in rental communities where a significant number of the inhabitants are changing weekly if not daily. If I was renting it wouldn't be that much of a factor for me.
[/quote]

We stayed at Orange Tree, a non-gated community for 3 weeks and felt very safe. Some of us went for short evening strolls (including my 75-tear old mother-in-law on her own on one occasion; mind you she did get lost, but the locals quickly escorted her safely back to the villa :)), something which we would have thought twice about in a UK housing estate.

Ray&Sarah
01-02-2005, 12:28
I think you are probably right Katys Grandad, its the feeling safe part for most people.[msnsmile2]
It isn't an issue for us with a gated community but if that works for some great.[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
01-02-2005, 17:41
People who want gated both to buy and rent are losing the chance to buy or rent some lovely homes for no real reason at all..........if the place you love is gated.....then fine.....but don't make it a thing you look for anywhere near the top of your list......

benfilo
02-02-2005, 00:49
Hello Benfilo

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'll lend you my remote 'zapper' so that you can get in. [msnwink]
[/quote]

I've made my fair share of wrought iron gates, do you think they'll notice if I put my own in.

You're right Chrizzy, gates never even came into it when we were picking, but they did look good as a feature

RIS
23-02-2005, 17:00
Rented with and without gates. Then bought on Greater Groves with no gates. Great community. To me the gates issue makes little or no difference.

benfilo
24-02-2005, 01:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by RIS
Rented with and without gates. Then bought on Greater Groves with no gates. Great community. To me the gates issue makes little or no difference.
[/quote]

I agree it didn't influece my purchase, the only thing I will say about our gates are they look good on arrival, a sort of "we're here" feeling, if that makes any sense.

chrizzy100
24-02-2005, 01:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by RIS
[/quote]

I agree it didn't influece my purchase, the only thing I will say about our gates are they look good on arrival, a sort of "we're here" feeling, if that makes any sense.
[/quote]

It just reminds me to much of a really bad holiday camp we went to one year.....wirefences.....towers....and gates......along with little wooden huts....we named it Colditz....that has stuck in my mind forever.....[msnscared]

benfilo
24-02-2005, 01:45
I'm just in the process of making some wrought iron gates for the font of our house, I'll have to get my uniform back off Prince Harry[msnwink]

chrizzy100
24-02-2005, 02:01
I'm just in the process of making some wrought iron gates for the font of our house, I'll have to get my uniform back off Prince Harry[msnwink]
[/quote]

We had big iron gates on our old farmhouse.....but we never closed them.....my step-grandfather made the gates and fences around buildings for a living years ago......my dad still has the moulds somewhere for the griffins on top of the fence poles from one place....but I can't remember what building they were on....I like the look of gates for a holiday....I do know what you mean about 'arriving'....but I could not live full time with them......

benfilo
24-02-2005, 02:16
total opposite for me on holiday I'm not bothered either way, but back home to be honest in our area I'd like to live on a gated community[msnscared]