PDA

View Full Version : 2 way radios for theme parks - rental?

casperdje
18-01-2003, 01:02
Is there anywhere that a family can rent these radios or cellphones
on arrival at a villa if so where from and at what cost? for 2 weeks?
it probably would not justify the cost to buy them and how expensive are they to use thanks
regards david and teresa

honeybee
18-01-2003, 01:42
Hi dave a theresa, these radios cost very little to buy, a decent set cost approx $30, cost nothing to run apart from batteries.

I think in the UK you have to be careful as I think they use the emergency services waveband.

Excellant for the theme parks though as we used them, especially if you are doing a baby/kid swop, you can find where about in the queue they are.
honeybee

fiona
18-01-2003, 02:03
Is that all they are? Was hardly allowed near Wal-Mart on our last visit but I think we might get some next time and leave them out for the guests to use as well. It's cheaper than my daughters phoning on our mobiles - particularly when it's in the florida mall and I can't hear a word they are saying[}:)]

blott
18-01-2003, 04:41
We got ours from Wal-Mart in December for $9.99 each and they're great for finding members of your party (like elusive husbands!) in those giant superstores (including Wal-Mart) too! We just put them in our owner's cupboard/closet without the batteries, ready for next time.

If you're regular visitors to Florida David & Teresa, buy some and take them home with you (although you can't use them in UK because of the frequencies as Honeybee says) but they'll be ready to take with you the next time you visit.

donnapit
18-01-2003, 20:26
Guys

Don't forget that the whole world sometimes seems to be on air using these radios when purchased in the US. Most frustrating when you're in a very busy park and trying to locate someone.

We use our US ones here in the UK and our UK ones over in the US. They're both on different frequencies.

The ones in the UK and dropping in price now, compared to a year or so ago.

Donna

chris
18-01-2003, 21:59
Donna
Please check the regulations. I'm pretty sure in both countries the one purchased in the other country uses a frequency which is not permitted to be used by the general public. You don't want to get locked up or prevent the emergency services functioning properly.

Chris

orlandobabe
19-01-2003, 22:35
We bought one set on one visit-to be used between couples and now bought a another set so we now have one each.

They are great for dropping off older children at the parks if adults want to do something different. It means when you go to pick them up-you can use them in the last 3 miles of the parks to finalise pick up points-and yes we use them between cars when we lose one another!

carole7007
20-01-2003, 14:56
They also come in very handy when Nans and Grandads get lost in the parks. The children were no bother !!!!!

To hinder matters they had switched theirs off, though they say they didn't. We went round looking for them in 3 directions cut search time down, brother found them looking very lost sitting outside a coffee shop Ahhh.

We have two sets, great when in two cars and ideal in the parks, split the sets between the party.

Wal-mart had some on offer that time we were over.

Great time saver

casperdje
21-01-2003, 03:22
this is our 1st in 20yrs with our 2 boys now 15 and 11 so it will be our treasured family holiday does anywhere in uk sell usa euivalent as we will be hitting the parks ...........running from day 2 and don't want to have to shop for them there as this is our one of holiday of a lifetime for 3 weeks! and have no return plans
I think we would probably pass them on to any friends going or even leave them with the villa owner for future guests to use as this would benefit future visitos if they are so cheap

orlandobabe
21-01-2003, 03:51
You could ask someone going out if they could buy and post them to you.

blott
21-01-2003, 03:55
The problem is that I don't think you can get them in UK for use in USA as they use different frequencies. Wal-Mart is open 24 hours and I'm sure you'll want to pay it at least one visit during your trip - you might even pass it on the way to your villa from the airport, depending on where you rental home is located, as it's on Highway 192.

Sounds like you'll need three so if you get the $9.99 ones, then that's only about £20 for your three weeks so you could do either of your suggestions. But I bet you'll want to go back again so you never just know... ;)

steph_goodrum
21-01-2003, 11:32
You could try www.amazon.com (make sure you don't use .co.uk or ebay and order some (I think they'll probably have some as they have ToysRUs site on there and get them delivered to the UK. I got some from ebay, some will ship internationally. They're typically called FRS (Family radio service - I think) radio and as has been said don't be tempted to think that because they work in the other country (UK/US) they are legal as the frequencies allocated to the channels are different in both countries and the ones used by the US are allocated to certain emergency services in the UK. If you use them in the UK you will find they work but you cannot see what interference you may be causing to other people.

Lesley S
21-01-2003, 11:54
As I have had before, we use ours in the UK and so do alot of our rentors, who bought ours in Walmart. We even bought some as a preset this year. We have never had problems, it sho easy to find the other half when they have gone shopping or even if you go to the theme parks over here (ie, Alton Towers or even Blackpool) you can then find them quickly enough.

I would invest in them and then bring them home. If you leave them in the villa, you someone might take them before the owner knows they are there.

steph_goodrum
21-01-2003, 14:06
Jamie and Lesley
What I was trying to point out was that the radios WILL work in this country, nobody is disputing that, but the frequencies they use are not the same as the UK one. The ones that are used in the US are allocated for different purposes in the UK. You could be quite happily chatting away in Alton Towers whilst the Fire brigade is trying to solve some emergency with interruptions from your family and lives could, in the worst case scenario, be put at risk.
This was the reply I got when I asked the question before.
"Further to may last post heres some more research I dug out last year for a similar question.
==================================
I did a little reasearch last year before choosing to buy in the USA.
I,m no expert but have had to legally license channels in the UK for stage and TV use before.

With ref. to Radio Communications Agency UK and Family Radio Services USA.

UK PMR frequencies
446.00625 MHz
446.03125 MHz
446.05625 MHz
446.08125 MHz
446.01875 MHz
446.04375 MHz
446.06875 MHz
446.09375 MHz

And as you can see the US frquencies are totally different.

USA/Canada FRS Frequencies
1 462.5625 8 467.5625
2 462.5875 9 467.5875
3 462.6125 10 467.6125
4 462.6375 11 467.6375
5 462.6625 12 467.6625
6 462.6875 13 467.6875
7 462.7125 14 467.7125

WARNING: USA FRS frequencies are allocated to fire, and police services in the UK.

The UK channels are definatly not licensed for personal use in the USA.
The sub codes make no difference they are only like access codes not channel frequencies.
==========================
Hope this makes sense.