PDA

View Full Version : Flight Prices

packmanuk
27-01-2005, 23:57
I'm arranging a trip for 15 people to Orlando leaving May 25th and returning June 6th. The prices at the moment seem to be about £500 minimum flying indirect and £550 direct. Thsi seems to be a lot because a couple of days ago you could get a flight for the same dates at around £400. Do you think I should wait and hope prices fall or do people expect them to stay this high. The prices seem just as high for Miami and Tampa as well although until tuesday flights were available for around £380 and then suddenly they jumped to much higher levels just like the Orlando prices.

blott
28-01-2005, 00:10
If you're looking at scheduled flights, the prices often rise the closer it gets to the departure date and getting in early will usually get you the cheaper prices.

With 15 people to organise for, I wouldn't wait long as you may find that there's no availability for that number of passengers on the same flight.

christhear
28-01-2005, 00:35
I suspect you were looking at BA, their sale finished Tuesday night at Midnight, and yes they did actually increase all fares after that. Not sure when they next plan to have a sale, seem to do so every couple of months, but have you got the bottle to wait and see if the flights are available then. You also near to bear in Mind that this is over the peak time for Schools half term in England

Ray&Sarah
28-01-2005, 01:12
If it were me I would take Blotts advice and book up now as you are booking for so many. It would be bad news if you couldn't get the flights nearer the dates.[msnsmile2]

ORLANDO_MAGIC
28-01-2005, 01:22
The Prices Have Been Fluctuating A Lot Recently And It Seems Its The Same At Most Airlines.

I Have Been Checking Flights To Orlando For The End Of March,And Last Week The Average Was Around £450,Then Early This Week The Prices Dropped Significantly To Around £350.00,With Continental And Delta,But When I Checked Again Wednesday And Again Today They Had All Gone Back Up To The Previous Prices,And In Some Cases Even Higher.

What I Don't Get Is This...
A Direct Flight From Manchester To Las Vegas This August Is £732.50 With BMI,Yet If You Go From Heathrow To Manchester Then On To Vegas Its Only £515.00.

Its Weird,And Hard To Fathom.

John

Harry and Jayne
28-01-2005, 01:55
How about this for confusing then... I was looking yesterday for flights begining of March for 4 adults on [name edited]. Got a price for flights with Virgin of just over £1600. I then selected the option to add a mid size car and the price quoted was just under £1600....?????

Harry

Robert5988
28-01-2005, 02:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:How about this for confusing then... I was looking yesterday for flights begining of March for 4 adults on [name edited]. Got a price for flights with Virgin of just over £1600. I then selected the option to add a mid size car and the price quoted was just under £1600....?????

Harry[/quote]

Presumably the car came without full insurance? This is not unusual as the 'kickback'they get from the very expensive insurance allows them to 'discount' the fares.

However nothing suprises me about the computer booking programs. I have found that specifying a indirect flight can work out cheaper than putting start point and destination.

e.g. inputting, say, Manchester - Boston - Orlando can be cheaper than inputting Manchester - Orlando. Even though you are routed Manchester - Boston - Orlando.

Nostromo
28-01-2005, 02:44
I must admit that I too have found the pricing by that particular on-line agent hard to understand, but so far have not encountered the situation where the flight only price was actually greater than flight+car hire. One other thing that I noticed is that certain flights seem to 'appear and disappear' on their database. Maybe it all has to do with internal arrangements like Robert says.

Mo Green
28-01-2005, 04:31
It is all very confusing - looked at flights on the Delta site today for September. Gatwick to Tampa via Atlanta £366.50. Out of curiosity looked at how much Business Class was (I can dream) and exactly same flights were £1246.50. Started me thinking about what it would cost to fly business to Atlanta and drive to Florida. Checked same flights/dates and business Gatwick to Atlanta........£2138.90. Wierd

pieman790
30-01-2005, 14:54
We fly out on 19 May 2005 and return 6 June. We are flying with BMI from Manchester and booked the flights almost 4 months ago. We paid just over £1500 for two kids and 2 adults via Chicago and return via Washington. Agree flights do go up and down as one day the same flights were over £2000 and the next they came down to price we paid. Checked on the BMI web site when they had a sale a few weeks ago and they want almost £2500 for the same flights.

eclipsed
30-01-2005, 19:16
I booked for 11 people, 9 adults and 2 kids inc. minivan for just over £5000.Thats flying with AA via Chicago.I didnt think that was too bad

poet123
02-02-2005, 20:32
We booked with Virgin for direct flights as soon as flights were released for July 2005. I paid £1900 upofront for 4 adults 1 child. I checked the website yesterday and they would now cost £3,900, so for us it certainly paid off to book well ahead!!"! love a bargain!!
Eclipsed, that does seem a good price when are you going?

Ray&Sarah
02-02-2005, 20:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by poet123
We booked with Virgin for direct flights as soon as flights were released for July 2005. I paid £1900 upofront for 4 adults 1 child. I checked the website yesterday and they would now cost £3,900, so for us it certainly paid off to book well ahead!!"! love a bargain!!
Eclipsed, that does seem a good price when are you going?
[/quote]

That doesn't sound like a bad price either, especially for July.[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
02-02-2005, 20:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eclipsed
I booked for 11 people, 9 adults and 2 kids inc. minivan for just over £5000.Thats flying with AA via Chicago.I didnt think that was too bad
[/quote]

Eclipsed, I looked at Poet123's bargain and did a quick calculation. Looks like you have been eclipsed :D (sorry, couldn't resist that one!)

poet123
02-02-2005, 20:54
To be fair my price doesn't include a car , we have paid sep for that from this site as we wanted a 4x4! so maybe its not a "total eclipse!!" nostromo.

E. Cosgrove
02-02-2005, 22:54
I booked 10 people for £3300 with US airways flying over Easter hols. 2 x 7 seater minivans with full insurance from the link on this site cost £456. Total for 10 people under £3800.I think I got a good deal!

Lesley S
02-02-2005, 23:02
We have just booked Virgin flights for June (last 2 weeks) - £351 per adult and £151 per child plus taxes of £81 each.