PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Space Centre

orlandobabe
15-02-2002, 00:03
Now I have never been round for a visit-so I would welcome comments from people who have-but I have seen two shuttles go up-and that if you excuse my americanism-is awesome!

The first and most spectacular was just as dusk was falling and unfortunately we were travelling down from Daytona Beach- but we had a brilliant view and the trail hung in the sky for about 45 minutes. It went all the colours of the rainbow and looked for all the world like the mlten wax in a lava lamp!

The second time was afternoon and we thought that leaving at noon for a 3-30pm lift off was ample! Wrong! The world and his wife-had the same idea. We naively thought we would get really close to Kennedy! Wrong again! After queuing for hours and just as Kennedy was almost in site-we were made to head to Titusville-by someone wearing a unifrm that you just didn't argue with! With 20 minutes to spare-we parked our car on the verge near the holiday inn-and rushed to the edge of the Indian River-where quite a crowd was gathering- and had the most fantastic view of the shuttle going up. One of the greatest free shows on earth! While we were waiting it was fascinating watching pelicans swoop for fish and a manatee put in a surprise appearance!

On account of the crowds-we hungrily headed off towards Titusville and Paul's Smoke House-where there was another good vantage point-and a great steak waiting!

Orlandobabe

athurstance
18-02-2002, 01:00
Kennedy Space Centre is a good day out. We took the bus tour and spend most of the morning on it. Some very interesting stops - I am just awestruck by the size of the Saturn rocket.
We've seen a couple of the IMAC films now which are pretty good. Also there are lots of exhibitions and things to see just walking around the visitor centre.
My only criticisms would be - once our bus broke down and we had to wait 1 hour for a replacement. Not a major gripe since we were at the shuttle pad area and happy enough to wait but heh they can send a man to the moon but not get a spare bus! Also the queues to buy tickets aren't handled very well. They let people queue up at all the booths then just open one. Caused chaos.

steph_goodrum
18-02-2002, 02:24
we haven't been since the new area was opened up, but about 5 years ago when we visited we found plenty to interest us, even our then 11yr old daughter who was only going because we all were, hadn't seen everything she wanted by the time we left.

steph

orlandobabe
25-02-2002, 20:56
BTW-is it worth going to see a landing?

Orlandobabe

garjb
12-03-2002, 05:58
We saw the launch on 1st March 2002, yes it was AWSOME! The sun was just starting to rise - so it was not quite pitch black.

We left the house at 3am, and found ourselves in the carpark of the Hall of Fame at about 4.30. A great place to see the launch and then spend some time with the exhibits.

Garjb

orlandobabe
12-03-2002, 18:05
Gosh! You were keen!

3am-I don't think I would have been persuaded to have left my bed at that unearthly time!

Out of interest -was there many there!

Orlandobabe