PDA

View Full Version : US Visa - I've got one, and this is how

Bezza
27-01-2005, 01:53
As it was this forum that prompted me to apply for a visa I thought I'd share my story as I've not seen the whole process explained in detail.

I phoned the embassy on 19th January and asked for an appointment, they asked if I had the Memorandi of Conviction, I said yes (although I hadn't yet) and they proceeded to give the option of several times on Jan 26th - I plumbed for 11:30am. After we confirmed the time of the interview the gentleman at the embassy gave me very exact and helpful instructions on which forms I had to download and take with me.

So, interview arranged, I got on to the two seperate magistrates courts that I needed documentation from - Bedford & Nottingham. For their troubles Nottingham asked me to send them a letter accompanied with a cheque for £8. Bedford however just took the request over the phone and said they'd dig the document out of the attic and send them to me. Sure enough, I received both documents on Monday, so essentially a 2 working day turnaround by the courts. I wasn't expecting them to be so efficient but was extremely grateful that they were.

In between receiving the documents from the courts I received confirmation of my interview at the US Embassy on Friday 21st Jan. Within the envelope was a giro which you have to pay at Barclay's bank. The pricely sum of £60 was the cost of processing my visa.

So, all forms filled in, fee paid, pictures taken (you need a picture of yourself for the application) of to London I went. As I said my Interview was at 11:30 but I arrived at about 10:30 - the queue was massive. We stood around in the freezing cold as one by one all the people with interview's at 10am, 10:30am and 11am were still being processed. Eventually I got admitted to the embassy - it was about 12:30 - so I'd spent 2hrs freezing my nuts off swearing that I would never go to the US again. I'd spend my cash in other, less anal countries. Saying that I would still advise going early just to be doublely sure but it would appear that if you turned up at 11:30, for an 11:30 interview you would severely minimise the time you spend out in the street.

Anyway, once in you take a ticket (like the sainsbury's deli) and you queue up to pay the Embassy another £10 (must be cash) in order that they courier your passport back to you after processing. Once this is done you sit down and wait for about 30-45 mins. Your number gets called, you think you're laughing and nearly out, no such luck. You go to the window, hand in your forms and passport and you sit down again. This is where the real wait begins.

I think after about 3hrs my number got called again (423, it will be etched on my mind forever!). I went down to this room and had my fingerprints taken electronically and the guy asked to look at my Memorandum of Conviction (these are the only things you don't give in on your first visit to the desk). He looked at them, looked at me, looked at them, looked at me, confirmed with me how long I'd been with my current employer and said 'your application will be approved and you will receive your passport back within a week'.

Bingo!! I must say I was mightly tired by now - drained from sitting around doing nothing - but the 5-6 hrs I spent hanging around only to go through that is worthwhile no matter how annoying. I now have a visa that last 10 yrs and I'm already looking forward to my next visit to the embassy in 2015.

I was nervous about applying as I have a conviction for drink driving plus a 'not guilty' for affray after two nutty drugies tried to stamp on my head in the street. But I'm in, and I had no trouble at all. They didn't even ask about my other visits to the US for which I did not us a Visa.

Anyway, I think that's it. But if you have any questions I'll reply as best I can.

agod
27-01-2005, 05:25
well done you, what kind of visa is it? when you say 10 years do you mean that its like a visa waiver, it still only lets you stay for 3 months at a time? but because you had convictions they needed to see you.

esprit
27-01-2005, 06:26
It will be a B2, you cant go in on visa waiver if you have a criminal record. Will be 6 months not 3.

steph_goodrum
27-01-2005, 12:04
Well done Bezza, at least you can look forward to your holidays with one less worry.

Ray&Sarah
27-01-2005, 12:20
Great news Bezza, thanks for the report.[msnsmile2]

kokomo
27-01-2005, 19:50
:DHi, What was your reason for obtaining a 10 year visa? Do you own a villa in us, for work purposes or just pleasure. Also what did you have to apply to the courts for, was this due to your conviction.
What are the qualifications to obtain a B2 visa. Can you apply for a B2 visa if you are retired.

Thanks,

KOKOMO

E. Cosgrove
27-01-2005, 21:23
As I understand it anyone can apply for a B2 which gives a six month stay instead of the normal 3 month on a visa waiver. If you have a conviction you must apply for one, you cannot use the visa waiver scheme. It will usually last for 10 years but in cases of conviction it may last for less especially if the conviction is a recent one.

Robert5988
27-01-2005, 21:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:As I understand it anyone can apply for a B2 which gives a six month stay instead of the normal 3 month on a visa waiver. If you have a conviction you must apply for one, you cannot use the visa waiver scheme. It will usually last for 10 years but in cases of conviction it may last for less especially if the conviction is a recent one.[/quote]

Liz,
Your statement re conviction is not accurate and should be clarified in case loads more people go to all the trouble(as shown above)of getting an unnecessary visa. (Not implying that particular Visa application was unnecessary)

There have been masses of threads on this subject.

You cannot use the Visa Waiver Scheme if you have been arrested - regardless of conviction/not guilty or no proceedings taken against you.

You can be covicted of minor traffic offences(as long as you were not arrested) and still use the Visa Waiver scheme. Fixed penalty notice, pleading guilty by letter, appearing in court, still means you have been convicted.

If it makes people happy to go and get a Visa - fine. However they do not need to.

E. Cosgrove
27-01-2005, 21:59
Point taken, I was really trying to clarify that the visa may not always be for 10 years if you have a recent criminal conviction.

Bezza
27-01-2005, 22:32
The purpose of my Visa is for a mixture of business and pleasure, I'm off to Florida in May for example. Anyway, just to clarify a point I didn't apply for a 10yr visa, I simply applied for a visa and the embassy decided how long it would last. I can't comment on whether this is a standard term or not, I don't know I'm afraid.

DaveMac
27-01-2005, 22:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Bezza
The purpose of my Visa is for a mixture of business and pleasure, I'm off to Florida in May for example. Anyway, just to clarify a point I didn't apply for a 10yr visa, I simply applied for a visa and the embassy decided how long it would last. I can't comment on whether this is a standard term or not, I don't know I'm afraid.
[/quote]

Which kinda of visa did you apply for ?

Bezza
27-01-2005, 22:45
nonimmigrant, you don't have to worry about the B2s etc.