PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Florida from UK

Fran19
26-01-2005, 20:05
Hi to everyone - I have just discovered this site and am SO dismayed at what I have read. My husband and I (and a couple of the kids I think) were hoping we would be able to buy a business in a couple of years and move to Florida for good. We come over to Florida every year and feel the place is like home to us now. I think my husband will be a little upset at the advice I have read but he will stay positive. We know it's not easy to get over but from what I have read it sounds almost impossible!!!! Hope not.

Nostromo
26-01-2005, 20:40
Hi Fran, welcome to the forums. Reading precisely WHAT has dismayed you? If you or your husband have questions about moving to Florida, you can use the relevant forum and I am sure John, Blott and others will be happy to help and offer advice. Then you might discover that things (whatever they are) are not as bleak as you believe.

LiesaAnna
26-01-2005, 20:56
dont be so dismayed others have been and gone and done it!
others have bought businesses over there and moved there, but it doesnt happen over night!

Fran19
26-01-2005, 21:03
Hi Nostromo

Thanks for your message. The messages that I have read seemed to be dissuading and gave the impression that lots of the businesses were not what they seemed, that it was almost impossible to get to Florida permanently and generally not what I expected to read. Probably the rose coloured glasses need to come off!! I think I need to read a lot more and maybe there will be more positive feedback - I'm sure there will be as well as lots of helpful advice. Have only just discovered this site, so will carry on and see what info I can pick up from more experienced!![msnsmile]

Fran19
26-01-2005, 21:05
Thanks LiesaAnna

We realised that they make it very hard as they are quite particular who they take - I don't blame them, just hope we are some of the ones they want!!?!! We know it takes a long time and believe me we will persevere! Thanks for the encouragement.[msnwink]

Nostromo
26-01-2005, 21:09
My suggestion is this Fran: Rather than get upset by other people's attempts to relocate fail, why don't you discuss you specific situation with the admins and others in the '...moving' forum and see what they have to say? It is what applies to you two that matters, isn't it? All the best.:)

Fran19
27-01-2005, 01:31
Thanks Nostromo will do.

esprit
27-01-2005, 03:22
OK, I am one of the few people on this forum who have actually done it. Buying a business is not the easiest or best route to emigrate to the US and no. at the moment, it isnt permanent, your best chance of permanent residence at the moment on E2 is your children marrying an American or getting labour certification, them getting green cards and then citizenship and then sponsorring you, all of which can take years and years. At the moment, there is no right to retire as the visa is based on continuing successful trade and so the only way is to bring in a manager. And you still have to contend with renewing your 1-94 every two years and your visa every two to five years and that now needs to be done in London which means leaving your business.
The situation for older children is desperate, no right to stay after 21 or after 18 unless they remain in education and then a fight for a H1B in these days of capping, or get married and quick.

Businesses, some bad and some good. No real way of knowing until you try it. We on here are not intending to dismay people, but to forewarn them so they can make a reasoned decision. I am not saying dont come, after all I did, I am saying come prepared. I knew all the gen before I came out, but chose to put my head in the sand, it doesnt really help you, it has to come out sometime. All I will say is that the visa situation is getting tighter and tighter, if you really want to come out in spite of everything, I for one wouldnt leave it for two years as it is getting harder not easier.

Seminole
27-01-2005, 20:37
Fran, visiting Florida is far different than living in Florida. Nearly every visa holder I know who started from the perspective of "anything is better than the UK" either failed or had a very difficult time in Florida. Some people thrive and some people realize it was a mistake but the truth is that it is not for everyone. Some things to keep in mind:

1. You will need vastly more money than you think.

2. There is no social safety net in Florida. People regularly go bankrupt over astronomical medical bills. If you have any kind of health problem or someone in your family does, think very long about doing this.

3. Business ethics in Florida may be very different than what you are used to. In fact, they may be non-existent. Employees are often poorly trained and unmotivated. Worker's compensation insurance in Florida, which is mandatory, may easily break your company because the premiums are so high.

4. Education is appalling and your children will lag far behind their UK counterparts. your children will also find that they are "the minority" in school with all of the problems and adjustments that will make.

5. You will work harder than you possibly imagined. Every one tells me "I'm prepared to work hard for a new life" and I am reminded of a Uk visa holder with a university degree who told me that if someone had told him that he would end up cleaning toilets and not see a Florida beach for five years he would never have done it.

As for the positives, well that depends on just how "bad" you think the UK is. The answer is that only thorough investigation and soul-searching will give you the answer to the question.

Nostromo
27-01-2005, 21:01
Although I love sunny (most of the time, anyway) Florida to visit and cannot stand the often cold and damp weather in the UK, I don't think I either of us would contemplate moving there even if the path was easier. Like Seminole says "Better the Devil You Know......."

chrizzy100
27-01-2005, 21:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
Although I love sunny (most of the time, anyway) Florida to visit and cannot stand the often cold and damp weather in the UK, I don't think I either of us would contemplate moving there even if the path was easier. Like Seminole says "Better the Devil You Know......."
[/quote]

It can be very hard here at times......my daughter now has no healthcare cover.....she is too old to be on ours and she has none through work....so all the snow is a worrying time....if she had a crash or fall in the snow.....we would have to hope Mass health picked up the bill.....illness of any sort is not far from your mind all the time even with good healthcare......

dodgey memory
27-01-2005, 21:53
Hooray at long last some votes for the UK. It's very different going some where on holiday to living there. Even with the problems here in the UK it's still my first choice. My 9 year old daughter nearly died in an accident last year. The medical care she received was outstanding, not once did I need to prove that she was entitled to any of it. My American friend was totally in awe and just kept saying that if we were in the states we would have lost our house to fund the treatment.

Nostromo
27-01-2005, 22:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dodgey memory
Hooray at long last some votes for the UK. It's very different going some where on holiday to living there. Even with the problems here in the UK it's still my first choice. My 9 year old daughter nearly died in an accident last year. The medical care she received was outstanding, not once did I need to prove that she was entitled to any of it. My American friend was totally in awe and just kept saying that if we were in the states we would have lost our house to fund the treatment.
[/quote]

You have my personal thanks for that posting DM. I know that our healthcare is far from perfect, but at least, it is there for everyone. It is a pity that a lot of prople don't realise this. And thanks to you too Chrizzy for such a relevant statement of how dodgy things can get over there too. Some of my US relatives had problems like your daughter had when their kids outgrew their family health cover but did not have adequate cover through their own jobs. They went through a nasy 18-months when their 20+ son decided to "find himself" somewhere in New Mexico before he decided what he wanted to do with his life.

Seminole
27-01-2005, 22:29
When my mother passed away after a three week hospital stay in Florida in 2000, the medical bills exceeded $120,000.

However, there seems to be plenty of money for Iraq.

Nostromo
27-01-2005, 23:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Seminole
When my mother passed away after a three week hospital stay in Florida in 2000, the medical bills exceeded $120,000.

However, there seems to be plenty of money for Iraq.
[/quote]

Back in 1992, I was an Anaesthetist (or Anaesthesiologist, as the Americans call them) in Peterborough and doing a spell in the ICU. We treated a RTA victim for almost 3 months and after teetering on the brink of death several times, she finally walked out of the hospital on her own two feet. A visiting Doctor from New Jersey, who was also involved in this case, calculated that her final Medical Bill in the US would have run to several million dollars, only a small part of which would have been covered by Insurance. In the UK, the total personal cost to the patient over 3 months came to £112, most of it for meals ordered specially as she got better towards the end of her stay.

esprit
28-01-2005, 06:54
GO SEMINOLE!! Always love your posts, they always say what I wanted but never dared. My husband and I have three degrees between us and.... The only thing I disagree with in your post is the kids not fitting in. My 17 year old slotted right in, in the minority yes but his Britishness has always been used by him as an asset. Sure the education system is far lower, but this means he is Einsteinian here compared to average there, which he for one doesnt see as a bad thing. Unless of course he has to go home with his dumbed down US qualifications, that is.

flyrr100
28-01-2005, 15:25
I moved here in the mid 80s. I guess times have changed since then. My greencard took just over a year. I was sponsered by a nice employer. Now I'm a citizen and wouldn't entertain the thought of going back to live in the UK. It's been so long that when I do go back I'm a tourist! Times have definately changed.
It's true though, what all the folks say. Medical coverage is a must. Dental also. If you decide on Florida expect huge insurance bills. Education is ok but you have to really look into where you live, and if you can afford private schools, (No government help there!)
I still love the UK though. But it's the UK I left. And that was 20 years ago. We still drove Cortinas and paid under a pound for a pint. Chelsea had shirts without bill boards on them!
As for marrying for a greencard be very careful. The INS are very strict on people marrying for convenience.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any general or specific questions regarding living in the USA.

Be safe

Nostromo
28-01-2005, 17:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100

As for marrying for a greencard be very careful. The INS are very strict on people marrying for convenience.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any general or specific questions regarding living in the USA.

Be safe
[/quote]

That is an intesting comment Flyrr100. Marrying for a Greencard into the US is very common where I originally come from (Southern India), but I suspect the US authorities are still only scratching the surface. The problem is obtaining proof. Cultural differences and preponderance of arranged marriages in India will mean that the system can be abused on both sides. I know of plenty of examples where a couple, following a marriage of convenience, have lived together for a couple of years in the US and yet lead separate lives by mutual consent. Since India is still a relatively poor country, the temptation to go to the US for a better life is so great that people will try anything.

parrot 2
28-01-2005, 18:08
I would like some information on buying a business in florida if anyone can help :o)

My parents and brother are going through solicitors at the moment to buy one but because i am 27 i cant go on there visas.

I would be interested in buying a business as well with my partner and am going to see a solicitor in may but does anyone know what the minimum investment is ???

I think i would like something to do with food as run my own catering vans over here.

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks

esprit
29-01-2005, 06:17
Minimum investment has to be substantial. No figure but people say around $100,000 and you are erring on the right side. Catering is good, lots of competition but people have to eat and I always say buy into what you know if you can. Look at www.fbba.com, loads of eating houses for sale, also franchises. Quiznos etc. You dont need a solicitor, you need an immigration consultant, but get the money together and find your business first.

Seminole
02-02-2005, 19:46
Julie, medical costs aside, many people are just not prepared for all of the other unconsidered costs of running a Florida business. I think you have personally had to navigate the swamp of workers compensation insurance. The premiums are simply crushing for many small businesses. There appears to be no end in sight because the lack of post-employment financial assistance for workers is so limited that claims or filing lawsuits against their former employers for discrimination etc is often viewed as the only alternative. I am aware of a UK couple who purchased a florist business here only to encounter horrible problems with the employees who viewed them as "foreigners" - claims and permitting the ex-owners to come into the shop and review private records when the UK owners were absent was the tip of the iceberg. They have since sold the business and now have a very different view of Florida.

So there is just no substitute for thorough thorough thorough research and investigation. Double or triple your estimate of financial reserves you think you should maintain. Remember that you are not buying a business in South Africa or Australia but coming into one of the most competitive business environments on the planet.

esprit
03-02-2005, 03:20
I certainly did have workers comp problems, Seminole, huge problems, not something many people in the UK know about.