PDA

View Full Version : Have i done the right thing!!!!

alfie
26-01-2005, 12:53
Im fed up going to Florida and everyone has those lovely WHITE smiles!!! sooooo yesterday went and had it done!! they call it the hollywood smile (veneers) i have temp ones on at the moment and am being fitted with the permanent ones 2 days before we fly...at the moment i look a cross between bugs bunny and donny osmond plus feel like ive been kicked in the teeth by a horse!!![msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

melvazquez
26-01-2005, 13:01
Poor you Alfie!

You know what they say, no pain no gain.:D

Is it the same as they showed on that tv prog '10 years younger' last week? Even more poor you if it is, looked prety painful.

Happy smiling

Mel

alfie
26-01-2005, 13:12
Ahha yes thats the one i saw and what prompted me to go!! thing is they dont tell you about the pain, they state pain free, well it is after all the injections but last night wow felt like i had gone 10 rounds with tyson. My teeth were not that bad but after he had finished the drilling i felt them and Nosferatu came to mind!!spikey little stubbs so no going back...told the kids they cant go to Disney as spent the money on mummy's teeth (only joking)

shenon
26-01-2005, 13:12
let us know if you are happy with them once they have settled down...i'm sure it will be worth it[8D]

Cruella DeVilla
26-01-2005, 13:19
You have done the right thing.
I suffer the pains of the dentist too often! I have Ortho treatment every 8 weeks and my wires are due to come off in 6 months time after 18 months and what a difference, its remarkable the work these Dentsts can do.

:D:D:DThis is all you will be able to do when treatment is finished!

brizzle
26-01-2005, 13:19
Can I ask how much it costs?

Also it reminds me of that episode of Friends where Ross has glow in the dark teeth :D[:P]:D:D

Brizzle.

alfie
26-01-2005, 13:23
lol brizzle

cost £1800 for the 6 front top teeth. The veneers he showed me looked very impressive. This is my local dentist my husband was going to take me to Harley street as he works in the city but they quoted around £500 per tooth!!! I am a total woos when it comes to dentists but they seemed very good (havnt seen the finished result yet) and the temporary ones i have on at present look great!!

Nostromo
26-01-2005, 14:00
Excuse my ignorance here, but I am curious to know what a 'hollywood smile' is? I don't have any dental fillings (never needed them :)) and have only visited the dentist once in the last 20 years and so I'm intrigued. I thought most people were happy with the natural smiles that they've got?

Cruella DeVilla
26-01-2005, 14:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
Excuse my ignorance here, but I am curious to know what a 'hollywood smile' is? I don't have any dental fillings (never needed them :)) and have only visited the dentist once in the last 20 years and so I'm intrigued. I thought most people were happy with the natural smiles that they've got?
[/quote]

Ultra white perfect teeth.:D

Nostromo
26-01-2005, 14:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
[/quote]

[/quote]

And people pay £1800 for that? But won't you get clean, white teeth if you simply brush your teeth twice a day every day? I would have thought it is a lot cheaper and less painful. Everytime I hear the word 'dentist' I am reminded of the film "Marathon Man".[msnscared]

Cruella DeVilla
26-01-2005, 14:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
[/quote]

[/quote]

And people pay £1800 for that? But won't you get clean, white teeth if you simply brush your teeth twice a day every day? I would have thought it is a lot cheaper and less painful. Everytime I hear the word 'dentist' I am reminded of the film "Marathon Man".[msnscared]
[/quote]

For people who smoke, drink coffee etc white teeth are almost impossible. People pay upto 20 thousand pounds for the perfect smile!I watched a tv programme about a Harley Street Dentist and it looked so painful but the teeth afterwards were amazing but they only lasted 15 years and you had to go back and have them redone!

OUCH!

alfie
26-01-2005, 14:53
some people are blessed with a mouthfull of lovely teeth. But, I had new flouride treatment when i was very young at the training hospital which was suppost to make your teeth come through stronger. unfortunately when my adult teeth came through they were stained and pitted - no amount of brushing would get them any better. My daughter had a lot of medical trauma as a baby and therefore when her teeth came through they were mis-shapen and stained for people like us we either put up with it or get them sorted if we wish

melvazquez
26-01-2005, 15:17
I'm off to the dentist in a min - only for a filling to be done, which dropped out just before Christmas.

Like Pam Ayres poem 'Oh I wish I'd looked after me teeth!!!

mel

Magical Dreams
26-01-2005, 16:48
If it makes people happy and more confident then thats great!!

I have always looked after my teeth, but still have fillings and one or two missing.

Some people are just lucky with teeth.
Others like old Esther are not so lucky!!

Never mind, there are always people worse off than yourself!!

:D

blott
26-01-2005, 16:52
Good for you! My grandson has been in a brace for a couple of years trying to get his teeth straightened out but his sisters have beautifully straight teeth so teeth are just the luck of the draw I think.

If it makes you feel better and you've got the money, go for it I say!

26-01-2005, 18:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by alfie
Im fed up going to Florida and everyone has those lovely WHITE smiles!!! sooooo yesterday went and had it done!! they call it the hollywood smile (veneers) i have temp ones on at the moment and am being fitted with the permanent ones 2 days before we fly...at the moment i look a cross between bugs bunny and donny osmond plus feel like ive been kicked in the teeth by a horse!!![msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Oh good for you I would love to see the end result.

I had my teeth whitened in Orlando last Aug and was soooo pleased. The dentist was amazing!! Cost me $400 but would love a 'Hollywood Smile'!!!

Nostromo
26-01-2005, 18:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Magical Dreams
I have always looked after my teeth, but still have fillings and one or two missing.
[/quote]

I owe the good condition of my teeth to a slightly cranky old schoolteacher of mine who used to say "look after your teeth well now and they'll look after you later". He was right. Never needed a filling ([msnscared][msnscared]) and do not need a [}:)][}:)]dentist[}:)][}:)].

26-01-2005, 18:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Magical Dreams
[/quote]

I owe the good condition of my teeth to a slightly cranky old schoolteacher of mine who used to say "look after your teeth well now and they'll look after you later". He was right. Never needed a filling ([msnscared][msnscared]) and do not need a [}:)][}:)]dentist[}:)][}:)].
[/quote]

Don't you go for check ups or visit a hygenist?

chrizzy100
26-01-2005, 19:17
I was born with the hollywood smile....my teeth were so white it hurt to look at them.....I got so much stick for it at school......I was glad to get older and have them go a more normal tooth colour....I hate radioactive teeth myself.....I like normal white clean looking teeth....I will have my teeth bleach from the inside after a root filling.....but just to keep them all the same colour....my dentist does that for free after a filling if the tooth goes discoloured....

Nostromo
26-01-2005, 19:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[/quote]

Don't you go for check ups or visit a hygenist?
[/quote]

Some evil person made me use braces in the mid 1960s, but after the last dental appt in 1969 (in India) the one and only time that I saw a dentist in the UK was in Taunton in 1992, simply cos someone told me that it was the done thing. The dentist took one look and said that I was wasting my time and did not need to see him or anyone else. I have brushed and flossed my teeth twice a day everyday (and I mean [i]everyday) for as long as I can remember and never felt the need to sit in that dreaded dental chair, thank goodness.

Lal, I'm afraid I am a sad case who thinks of two thigs the moment I have to be in an unfamiliar place. How I am going to clean my teeth and whether there is going to be a clean loo wherever I am going. Other things come later. As I said, a sad case.[msnembarrased]

christhear
26-01-2005, 19:50
Good for you, spend some money on yourself - My only concern would be that you are having treatment just 2 days before flying. I don't know exactly what is involved but they say that you shouldn't fly within 2 days of having a filling so don't know if same would apply to this. Might be worth checking with the Dentist and maybe worth bringing the next appointment forward a couple of days.

julieanne
26-01-2005, 20:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by christhear
Good for you, spend some money on yourself - My only concern would be that you are having treatment just 2 days before flying. I don't know exactly what is involved <span style="color:red">but they say that you shouldn't fly within 2 days of having a filling</span id="red"> so don't know if same would apply to this. Might be worth checking with the Dentist and maybe worth bringing the next appointment forward a couple of days.
[/quote]

Why shouldn't you fly within 2 days of having a filling?

Cruella DeVilla
26-01-2005, 20:13
I flew the day after my last treatment and had no problems. When I first flew after I had it done, I wondered if I would set of the metal detectors...it did not!:D

christhear
26-01-2005, 20:26
I don't know why you shouldn't fly within 48hours of a filling but its somehting I have been told. Having terrible teeth (caused by taking certain antibiotics as a teenager) I am always at the Dentists. I think its something to do with pressure build up. Whenmy teeth are first playing up I'm never quite sure whether its my ears or teeth that are having trouble. As the pressure effects your ears maybe its the same on the teeth. As I say I'm not medically qualified to tell you why, but its something I've been told and am wary off.

Ray&Sarah
26-01-2005, 21:23
Go for it, if a Hollywood smile is what you want, why not. My 12 year old son has just had a brace fitted, boy was he in pain for a few days, for over a week he lived on soup and ice-cream because it hurt too much to chew. [msnsmile2]

26-01-2005, 21:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by christhear
I don't know why you shouldn't fly within 48hours of a filling but its somehting I have been told. Having terrible teeth (caused by taking certain antibiotics as a teenager) I am always at the Dentists. I think its something to do with pressure build up. Whenmy teeth are first playing up I'm never quite sure whether its my ears or teeth that are having trouble. As the pressure effects your ears maybe its the same on the teeth. As I say I'm not medically qualified to tell you why, but its something I've been told and am wary off.
[/quote]

Its to do ith the air expanding inside before the fillings are completely hard - as crew we were not allowed to fly within 48 hrs of having a filling[msnscared]

Chloe
26-01-2005, 22:01
If you can afford it and it makes you feel good - go for it. We all have different priorities and needs. Chloe

26-01-2005, 22:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Chloe
If you can afford it and it makes you feel good - go for it. We all have different priorities and needs. Chloe
[/quote]

Well said!!!![msnsmile2]

CarolAnn
26-01-2005, 23:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
Can I ask how much it costs?

Also it reminds me of that episode of Friends where Ross has glow in the dark teeth :D[:P]:D:D

Brizzle.
[/quote]
:D I THOUGHT of THAT episode too!!! Tee Hee
Any cahnce of a pic Alfie, before and after?

27-01-2005, 00:08
Before and after pics would be amazing![msnsmile2]

Michele L
27-01-2005, 00:45
Go for it, I think that the UK are way behind with dental cares, just look at every american you meet ( or most of them) they have lovely teeth. we tend to look after our eyes and health and neglect our teeth - we only get one pair of teeth (apart from baby ones). So lets start looking after them!

Michele

Nostromo
27-01-2005, 01:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Michele L
Go for it, I think that the UK are way behind with dental cares, just look at every american you meet ( or most of them) they have lovely teeth. we tend to look after our eyes and health and neglect our teeth - we only get one pair of teeth (apart from baby ones). So lets start looking after them!

Michele
[/quote]

I don't know about moast Americans having 'lovely' teeth, but I agree that Dental care in the UK is among the worst in the West and worse than in many developing countries. Perhaps I should not be saying this of my semi professional colleagues, but I don't think much of the dentists in this country.

chrizzy100
27-01-2005, 01:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Michele L

Michele
[/quote]

You sure don't live here....I've never seen so many bad teeth till I moved to the USA.....yellow teeth..missing teeth....brown teeth.....no teeth....something I never saw at home.....and I've lived in some poor areas in England......

blott
27-01-2005, 01:50
I was just going to say the same. Quite a lot of Americans have appalling teeth and it's because they can't afford to visit the dentist (which is prohibitively expensive for lots of them - no cheap NHS 6 monthly check ups for them) and obviously don't have Nostromo's natural pearlies! Next time you're in a supermarket like Wal-Mart, just try noticing everyone's teeth (you could get arrested! ;)). Also... check out those meeters and greeters who are invariably past retiring age but can't afford to give up work.

Ray&Sarah
27-01-2005, 02:02
Agree with you Blott and Chrizzy, there are people over in the US with worse teeth than here, at least our dental service is not as expensive as theirs. Okay it has gone up in recent years but still no comparison with price. Ask anyone who has had emergency dental treatment whilst on their holidays in the US.[msnsmile2]

It is nice to have straight, white gnashers though!:D

CarolAnn
27-01-2005, 11:04
I feel I may now spend a portion of my Florida Holiday at Easter checking out the natives teeth:D
Funny how we nag our children about cleaning their teeth, especially when young, then you pay less attention as they enter their teens
(well I don't stand over mine now, she is in the bathroom at time of posting, cleaning her teeth actually while I am on here!!) But, I guess the real routine is in their teens? Perhaps I should mention the cost Alfie has paid for his gnashers, and suggest she keeps it up!!! Though I do know of a guy who who very careful with his teeth, but has not such great teeth?
BTW Way, no before and sfters then?[msnwink]

alfie
27-01-2005, 12:39
right getting the camera out now, will post the before one now and the afters hopefully wednesday evening when they are finished.

CarolAnn
27-01-2005, 14:29
right getting the camera out now, will post the before one now and the afters hopefully wednesday evening when they are finished.
[/quote]
Great Alfie! :DI will watch out for it!! Good for you by the way! Here Here to those who say why not go for it if you want to:) And wahy not show off the results? Hope it is evrything you want it to be too[msnwink]

alfie
27-01-2005, 15:50
not very computer literate How do i insert a pic??

chrizzy100
27-01-2005, 17:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
I feel I may now spend a portion of my Florida Holiday at Easter checking out the natives teeth:D
Funny how we nag our children about cleaning their teeth, especially when young, then you pay less attention as they enter their teens
(well I don't stand over mine now, she is in the bathroom at time of posting, cleaning her teeth actually while I am on here!!) But, I guess the real routine is in their teens? Perhaps I should mention the cost Alfie has paid for his gnashers, and suggest she keeps it up!!! Though I do know of a guy who who very careful with his teeth, but has not such great teeth?
BTW Way, no before and sfters then?[msnwink]
[/quote]

My kids were always cleaning their teeth at home.....then after moving to the US and staying with friends that dropped off....I'm moaning at them all the time now.....I keep telling my son he'll look like a local soon with big gaps and brown teeth....nasty....

27-01-2005, 18:33
not very computer literate How do i insert a pic??
[/quote]

Click on 'insert file attachment' and choose your file - hope this helps?

alfie
01-02-2005, 14:32
Just a quick update, having the veneers fitted tomorrow ad cant wait, since last posting the pain at night has been unbearable[msncry] it is the temperary 'teeth' he has put on which are like a big plastic tooth shaped solid plastic gum shield, was alright the first day or so but now makes the gums sore. Aparently this is normal for some people.....they didnt tell me this[msnmad] oh well will update tomorrow when done and with some pics hopefully:D

01-02-2005, 17:49
Good luck hope its not too painful[msnscared]

Cruella DeVilla
01-02-2005, 18:28
It will be worth it in the end............promise! My mouth in constantly cut but I only have 6 months to push. The change is remarkable and it will b e the same for you!

melvazquez
01-02-2005, 19:55
Good luck.

Look forward to seeing the end result!!!

Mel

alfie
03-02-2005, 14:29
Right had it done, what do you think??

BEFORE................

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/alfie/200523101812_teeth.jpg

and NOW..............

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/alfie/200523102839_000_3697.jpg

Cruella DeVilla
03-02-2005, 14:30
Nice one Smiler:D:D

alfie
03-02-2005, 14:36
Must admit till i get used to them they feel like tomb stones!! but feel so clean and WHITE [msncool] now i need a tan (will i get one next week i ask myself??)

03-02-2005, 15:45
They look fantastic!!! Very natural looking too!! Well done [clap][clap][clap]

melvazquez
03-02-2005, 19:44
They are really nice. I would say that they were definately worth the pain you went through!

[msnsmile2]

Mel