PDA

View Full Version : Which Guide?

Nostromo
23-01-2005, 19:21
Looks like the battle lines are being drawn for what the best 'portable version' of these forums should be. (apart form a Laptop, of course). So which guidebook would people consider is the most useful as an adjunct to OV forums?

Cruella DeVilla
23-01-2005, 20:14
We like the Rough guide and Lonely Planet type books and programmes as they tell it how it is, warts and all. The Fodor books are not bad either. I bought a Fodor when I went to New York. Problem is with all the books is they can date quickly as new places, rides etc spring up. So making sure you buy a current one is a good idea.

ORLANDO_MAGIC
23-01-2005, 22:58
I have never bought or indeed read a guidebook on Orlando so i had to vote for other.

Saying that i probably have the best guide you could wish for apart from this site of course

My guide actually lives in Orlando and has done so for over 20 years so thats good enough for me.

Not that it will stop me from picking all your brains in here:D

Nostromo
23-01-2005, 23:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ORLANDO_MAGIC

Saying that i probably have the best guide you could wish for apart from this site of course

My guide actually lives in Orlando and has done so for over 20 years so thats good enough for me.

[/quote]

That's very interesting. Can you elaborate a bit on this wonderful 'guide' of yours or am I missing something?

ORLANDO_MAGIC
23-01-2005, 23:13
Well Nos,its a lady i met just about 5 years ago in a chatroom and we have remained great friends ever since.

After 9 months of talking we decided to meet and so i went to Orlando for the very first time in Feb 2001,and have been lucky enough to have returned at least once a year every since.:D

John

Nostromo
23-01-2005, 23:32
Well Nos,its a lady i met just about 5 years ago in a chatroom and we have remained great friends ever since.

After 9 months of talking we decided to meet and so i went to Orlando for the very first time in Feb 2001,and have been lucky enough to have returned at least once a year every since.

John:D
[/quote]

Lucky you! Well, have a great time as always. Only this time, be ready to make out a full Trip Report upon your return. :)

Ray&Sarah
24-01-2005, 00:17
Bought the Brits guide for the first time we went, now tend to go with the flow whilst there.[msnsmile2]

ORLANDO_MAGIC
24-01-2005, 00:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

After 9 months of talking we decided to meet and so i went to Orlando for the very first time in Feb 2001,and have been lucky enough to have returned at least once a year every since.

John:D
[/quote]

Lucky you! Well, have a great time as always. Only this time, be ready to make out a full Trip Report upon your return. :)
[/quote]

Not sure if you should ask me to write a full trip report Arun as the last one i wrote went on for ageshttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/2005123203645_typing.gif

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/johnny_english/REPORT.html

linda allen
24-01-2005, 02:11
Birnbaum's guide to Walt Disney World is fantastic. We use it every time, and it is updated each year.

Nostromo
24-01-2005, 14:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda allen
Birnbaum's guide to Walt Disney World is fantastic. We use it every time, and it is updated each year.[/quote]

I agree that the Birnbaum Guide is very good. We used the 2000 edition when we went late that year. But the problem with Birnbaum guides seem to be lack of regular updates, in contrast to what you are saying. Last year for instance, I could only find the Birnbaum Kid's guide and not the regular one.

linda allen
24-01-2005, 14:24
Nostramo, We are in possesion of a 2004 guide which we have had since last April. Bryan picked one up in a disney outlet in Los Angeles, maybe you can buy it online at Disney.

Nostromo
24-01-2005, 15:29

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/2005123203645_typing.gif[/img]

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/johnny_english/REPORT.html

I read you report John and it is excellent. As for length, I don't think it is any longer than my own 12-part one, each part covering 2 or 3 days. I did it soon afer my return to the UK, on a daily basis.

PS: Wonder why you used the present tense in your report? Is it to give us that "being there" flavour?

LiesaAnna
24-01-2005, 16:06
when we first went to orlando in 2002 we bought books through Amazon used guides, cant remeber the names but i know i was soooooooo confused! couldnt make head nor tale of where to go and what to do!
but last time we just relied on you guys and the forum! so ta very much!:D

fraser
23-06-2005, 23:59
We use 2 Brit's Guide & the Unofficial Guide to WDW.