PDA

View Full Version : BABIES AND THE ATRACTIONS

SHEEP
15-01-2003, 15:23
Hi we are going to orlando feb 2nd yipeeee!!! and are taking our 10 and 8 year old daughters and our 14 month old twin girls,as you can imagine we are aware its going to be hectic!,but i am a bit worried about what things we can still do as a family in the parks(never been to the states before)with two small(just toddling)babs.Also any tips on flying with babies would be very gratefully received.
Also i have never driven abroad before,and need to get to Crescent Lakes from Orlando International,so any words of comfort regarding how easy it is would help to settle my nerves :-).
Sorry ive asked so many things!
Thanks in advance
Sean and netball team!

scimoon
15-01-2003, 16:35
Hey Sean, when we took my two girls for the very 1st time to florida one was just 2 the other 5. It was one of best places to visit with young ones, we stayed in a villa which was brillant. Every time we ate out people were so helpful, we didn't even have to pay for meals for them as they ate off our plates in most places. All the parks catered for the young ones too i loved the pushchairs there. My little one decided on the 1st day there she wasn't going to wear a nappy any more to my horror, so it was a trip to walmart for a sheet protector. I must admit that i was really worried about the flight over but the doctor advised me to invest in some(i know the spellings wrong)phenegon. So they both slept there and back, that was stress free for all of us. All in all it was one of the best holidays we have every had, so much so we have been back quite a few times. Driving is so easy there, even i drive to give hubby a break.
so relax and have a great time.
Karen

Harmony
15-01-2003, 16:58
Hi Sean,

Although driving standards are dropping in the States as they are here, I'm sure you will agree with me that the americans are the better drivers. They seem more considerate and less agressive in their driving.

My youngest was 11 when we first went to Florida so have no first hand experience of taking such young children. Many of my renters have taken young children and all had the time of their lives. The americans love children and are very helpful to parents with very young children. I'm sure you'll get more advice from other owners on this forum, but there is also another thread Titled "Travelling with Children" which might be useful to you.

If you are still concerned about anything and you are the Sean I think you are, feel free to give me a call for a chat.

All the best Jeff.

steph_goodrum
15-01-2003, 16:58
There are quite a few tips on the section travelling with young children, which may come in useful.

One recommendation with young children is to give them a drink for take off and landing as the sucking action helps to stop their ears popping.
Another piece of advice is to take your own car seats for the toddlers, the car hire companies charge around $5 a day each but if you take your own you know
a) that they are the appropriate size for your girls and how to make sure they are fitted properly,
b) that they haven't been involved in an accident and are safe.
the airlines are quite happy for you to check them in , so you'll also be able to use them on the way to the airport, just take a black sack to keep them a bit protected and lable it properly.
At the parks make the most of the parent/child swaps on the rides. It may be that for example more than 1 child will want to go on a ride that the younger ones can't so 1 adult will have to wait with the other children, with the parent/child swap you don't have to queue up again, just take the next child or if it is an adult ride that you both want to do then you can swap over whoever is looking after the children. Just ask the attendant when you start to queue as some have separate waiting areas.

SHEEP
15-01-2003, 17:03
Thanks for all of your help i will be rushing to the chemists for phenologen(is that right spelling lol)and jeff it is me,and as to parent/child swop never heard of that before,thanks

athurstance
15-01-2003, 18:14
Phenergan (promethazine) is very popular but if you intend to use it for the flight you need to try it out first. In about 5% of cases it doesn't work and has a quite opposite affect - I know a couple of families this has happened to and its no joke. Piriton syrup is an alternative which doesn't have the same side effects and is also available over the counter.
The down side to children sleeping for 9 hours on the flight over is that they are not likely to want to sleep when you arrive for quite some time.
Mine are older now but have been flying since they were tiny. I find it easier to have them awake on the flight out and let them sleep on the night flight back. That way they adapt very quickly to the changing time zones. Seat back TV is a godsend for the flight out as are gameboy advance for older children. Pack masses of goodies - toys, books, crayons etc and prepare to spend the flight as an 'entertainer' to the toddlers. If you 10 and 8 year old are anything like mine they will relish the opportunity to watch movies and play video games for 9 solid hours without being nagged to do something more heathly.

Angela

scimoon
15-01-2003, 18:15
Whatever the spelling it was a god send when we travelled to New Zealand last Year, but don't seem to need it now, must be seasoned travellers

LOL:D

SHEEP
15-01-2003, 18:18
Thanks for the advice,it just scares me as we wont be able to take it in turns to look after the babies as there are "2":),and ive heard you dont get much help from cabin crew as they are so busy?

steph_goodrum
15-01-2003, 20:14
At least there will be 2 of you to take it in turns with the younger ones, the older ones will probably be ok as it will all be quite novel for them, who are you flying with? Some airlines seem to be better at looking after children than others. If you haven't reserved you seats yet it would be a good idea to try and book them in advance so you can make sure you are all sitting together as otherwise you may find they have allocated bulkhead seats for you and the toddlers but the other 2 are somewhere else.
As Angela said lots of crayons, novelties etc but don't give them all to them when they get on the plane or they'll be bored with them in 5 mins, have a few suprises tucked in your bag that you bring out if necessary.

SHEEP
15-01-2003, 20:28
We are flying with Virgin,i have heard they are the best but i still find it hard to believe that there are no facilities for babies other than sky cots which they are to big even though we still pay for them!:DAnyway im sure all the hassle of flying will be worth it,and again thanks for all your reply's.
Sean and girls

Mo
15-01-2003, 21:40
When you call ahead to book your setas, book children's meals too (if your older ones would prefer that). They rarely have enough to go round otherwise.

steph_goodrum
15-01-2003, 23:14
I don't know the no. offhand but I would call Virgin tomorrow to get your seats and meals ordered. You can reserve them up to 180 days before you travel so you may not have a lot of choice left of seats, if they are available and you want to try and get 2 X 2 seats at the back of the plane, rows 61, 62, 63 and 64 have only 2 seats by the windo instead of 3 so you get a little extra space and don't have to climb over as many to get to the aisle. I'm sure someone else will know the no. This has been so the last couple of times we've been on that flight and it may be a different configuration so it's best to ask.

SHEEP
16-01-2003, 00:23
Thanks fo rthe advice i will do!

Carla
16-01-2003, 00:46
Every time that we have reserved seats on a Virgin plane they have changed the seat numbers around. Particularly if flying out from Manchester, but Gatwick does it as well. They have always kept us together, but not in the seats that we were told we would have. Ask them to put a note by your names that you definitely need these seats and should not be changed under any circumstances. Don't know if it will work but you can try. Have a great holiday.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-01-2003, 02:09
Hi Sean

I think I spoke to you prior to booking your villa. So glad that you have booked I'm sure you will have a ball.

Just a note to say that if you have paid for child seats with Virgin then you can take your own car seats onto the plane and strap them in just as if you were the car. The advantages are that the children are familiar with travelling in the seats; you can strap them in more securely than in an airline seat; they are often more comfy than a seat designed for an adult.
(when you call to order you meals and or seats ask about taking your children's car seats aboard)

On the downside they add considerably to your hand luggage and it's not always easy to get yourself the seat and the baby down the aisle.

Another piece of advice is try to relax about the flight I used to get very up tight worrying that the children would bawl their heads off. A Virgin flight to Florida is usually heavily populated with families not suits so you should be fine. If anyone gets upset that there are children aboard then it really is tough they should have chosen another carrier and/or paid to upgrade!

I now see the flight as part of the excitement and enjoyment of the holiday whereas I used to think of it as a necessary evil :) My husband's idea.

With regard to driving as people have said I'm sure you will be fine, take you time, spend time familiarising yourself with the car before you drive out of the compound, it's no different than taking a car on a test drive or driving a new car (Oooooh if only!!!:D)

Honestly, American cars drive themselves....if I can drive one absolutely anyone can.

Final tip.....enjoy it all and let us all know how you got on by filing a trip report on this Forum.

Bon Voyage

Sarah

fiona
16-01-2003, 03:55
Best advice I would give is to relax - it's your holiday too, and the more uptight you are the more it transmits to the children, resultant uptight screaming children - or so I found!

There will always be old miseries (or young - actually I think they are even worse if they've not had children yet - and will then be in for a BIG surprise when it's their turn) who mutter. As everyone here says, take plenty to entertain them, food & drink and just enjoy!

We got upgraded to business class on our flights on Saturday night and there was a baby in the seat in front of us. He was very taken with us as I kept playing peepo with my scarf which he thought was very funny. He was as good as gold apart from a little squawk with ear problems on take off and landing. Slept like a log all night. And he was travelling only with his mum - very smartly dressed with what looked like a mink rug for him!!

Florida is a great place for children, so much easier than here. And if they are happy, so are you!

Be prepared for timeouts during the day while doing the parks. You don't want exhausted tetchy children, so do plan these in - maybe a break during the day back at the villa depending on the opening times of the parks?

One point, whatever food you take with you, make sure there is no fruit being taken into the country as they now search everything on the way in, and we've had the third degree with sniffer dogs and everything. It was over the girls eating tangerines on the Virgin flight on the way out. Or so I thought. Completely forgot I had orange squash in the suitcase![:I] Still no problems, and we've been allowed in many times since so can't have been TOO bad:D

SHEEP
16-01-2003, 13:52
Once again thank you all for the advice,we had already booked our seats but im going to book another seat today and then use virgin's sky seat(think thats what its called)so at least one baby can be sat at a time(thanks for that tip:D)and you can be sure when i get back i will bore...i mean tell you all about it:).
Sean and Clan

Kissyme
16-01-2003, 14:50
just a quick note have travelled with Virgin 4 times and have found that children young and old have never been a prob.. my youngest was five the first time we went but there was a family with toddlers sitting behind us, my tip is to get up a walk around the plane at regular intervals as long as this does not disrupt the cabin crew you can actually circum-navigate the whole plane and finnish it up with a look out of the window at the back. My boys always enjoyed that, along with the free ice-cream that appears. I once gave middle boy Phenegan on a trip (very excitable) slept on and off through the flight, but as as miserable as sin when we arrived so it has its down side. Have a great time I know you will

Mo
17-01-2003, 21:35
Sean,

Don't ever think that you will bore us - surely you've learnt by now that we're never happier than when talking about Florida:D:D

Have a really great vacation

Julie

neilandkay
18-01-2003, 04:20
There has been lots of good advice already but a couple more points to think about

When booking your seats, put in a request for a bulkhead seat. These are not reservable but are held for families with babies that need a skycrib. However with 2 infants, you may be able to get one of these seats. There is usually more room, so the babies could play on the floor. Always ask again when checking in. Virgin will always try to accomodate you if they can.

Getting an extra seat for at least one of the infants is a good idea.

Importing Fruit & Meat products is not allowed. However I did check with customs on one return trip to the USA as I had the Dole fruit cups in my bag and some baby food jars with meat in and I was told that they were OK to bring in. (This was not in Orlando though.) If in doubt ask.

Another idea is to take a stock of new toys just for the journey. They don't need to be expensive, just things that they haven't seen before. Someone told me that their toddler once spent hours on a plane playing with sellotape, rolling it round her hands and back again (loved the sticky texture!). If you have bought seats for children on Virgin, you should get a backpack for each child with a seat - you may have to ask for the infant, we had to for our son even though he had a seat.

And don't forget to look after yourselves on the flight too. You don't want to arrive and be totally exhausted that you don't enjoy your holiday.

Have a good trip.

Kay

SHEEP
19-01-2003, 16:20
Again thanks for all of your help,i feel much more confident in dealing with the flight and am sure i will enjoy the holiday more now my concerns have been dealt with,you can be sure i will give a report about the holiday when we return from "Harmony"
Sean and very excited clan:D:D