PDA

View Full Version : Mode Of Accommodation?

ORLANDO_MAGIC
23-01-2005, 00:44
OK i know this website is called 'Orlando Villas Forums' but how many of the members have stayed in one when here on holiday?

Sally D
23-01-2005, 00:48
I voted for only stayed in a villa, have been twice before and stayed in a villa in Linfields both times.

Nostromo
23-01-2005, 00:50
I have been to Orlando 5 times between 1991 and 2004 and until the last trip, we did not even consider a villa. I really don't know why. We mostly stayed at Disney Resort Hotels and while these offered certain advantages, they were prohibitively expensive, inconvenient (like having to walk half-a-mile for breakfast) and restrictive. I only made the decision to stay in a villa on the latest trip cos of the large size of our party. I now think it was the best decision that I ever made and have decided that in future we will only stay in villas.

23-01-2005, 00:54
I voted for hotel and villa, my first trip in 1983 was in a hotel in Clearwater plus 3 days in a Disney villa overlooking Lake B before DTD was there!

2nd trip hotel at the top end of I drive and for the 2nd week Sheraton Sand Key in Clearwater.

Since 1987 it has been villas villas villas!!![msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
23-01-2005, 00:58
Stayed in a hotel first but after discovering villas wouldn't choose anything else for a family holiday. Last 2 trips have been part business whilst sorting out our own new property so stayed in hotels. Oct we stayed at Celebration Hotel and I must admit it was rather nice!!

KJH
23-01-2005, 01:28
tried both, would never go back to hotel except when we pop down to Clearwater for a few days

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-01-2005, 01:34
We stayed in a hotel before staying in Mark & Emma Harris' lovely villa (OV ref 4) in November 2000 and after that bought our own villa, closley followed by 2 more and would never ever stay in a hotel in Florida again. Staying in a villa is just another world and so much better than hotels ever could be.

chrizzy100
23-01-2005, 01:58
I had to vote other......because I stay in our villa but it is our soon to be home..... I've never rented a villa in FL........we had a few FL villas in the family years ago to use.....but I'm a suite of rooms at a hotel kinda girl......sorry.......[msnembarrased][msnembarrased]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-01-2005, 02:03
You should have gone to the Orlando Hotels Forum :D:D:D
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
I had to vote other......because I stay in our villa but it is our soon to be home..... I've never rented a villa in FL........we had a few FL villas in the family years ago to use.....but I'm a suite of rooms at a hotel kinda girl......sorry.......[msnembarrased][msnembarrased]
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
23-01-2005, 02:29
We have done both, stayed in a villa and a hotel. No contest villa would win for us every time.[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
23-01-2005, 02:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
You should have gone to the Orlando Hotels Forum :D:D:D
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]
[/quote]

I used to go to a forum which deals with hotels in FL.....but I'm not really up to date with the hotels now......I've not used one there for a few years....but in times gone by we had a great time in hotels which I really love after years and years of using rental homes in England....we first started using hotels after I could not walk...to make sure all the family were not stuck looking after me and cooking and cleaning up after the kids all day.....it was nice to have our meals done the beds made......the rooms cleaned without anyone missing out on the holiday feel...for me to be able to go down for a nice evening dinner without the pain of going in a car or van....to have company by the pool if my family went out without me etc....hotels were a whole new world to me.....so even after my back became better....we still used them....I maybe a fan of hotels......but I still use the villa sites because if people have not already booked a hotel room.....I point them this way.....I may love hotels and they maybe fine for me and my family........but I think villas are better value for a lot of people.....so if they have not booked a hotel I give them a link...if they have booked.....I tell them to think about a villa at a later date......[msnsmile]

Nostromo
23-01-2005, 03:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
We stayed in a hotel before staying in Mark & Emma Harris' lovely villa (OV ref 4) in November 2004 and after that bought our own villa, closley followed by 2 more and would never ever stay in a hotel in Florida again. Staying in a villa is just another world and so much better than hotels ever could be.
[/quote]

Et tu John? [:O][:O][:O][:O]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-01-2005, 03:17
I'm afraid so - it was through Virgin Holidays and had 4 felicitations in their brochure so we were really looking forward to it but we found it horrible and full of Brazilian schoolchildren who used the pool late at night without supervision (VERY NOISY!). Never again!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
We stayed in a hotel before staying in Mark & Emma Harris' lovely villa (OV ref 4) in November 2004 and after that bought our own villa, closley followed by 2 more and would never ever stay in a hotel in Florida again. Staying in a villa is just another world and so much better than hotels ever could be.
[/quote]

Et tu John? [:O][:O][:O][:O]
[/quote]

linda allen
23-01-2005, 03:32
We stayed in a hotel on St pete beach in May for the first week of our holiday. It was lovely, but not very relaxing sharing a room with a 3 and a 2 year old. When we arrived at Orlando for the last two weeks, what a difference. The villa had loads of space and privacy. It didn't matter if the boys were playing early in the morning and making a bit of noise as we weren't disturbing anyone.
Also you didn't have to get ready to go down for breakfast or to the pool, you just had your breakfast by your own pool in your PJs.
We loved it so much we bought our villa[msnsmile2]

ORLANDO_MAGIC
23-01-2005, 03:44
I think that if you have children,a villa is the only way to go,and great value to boot.
I have only ever stayed in hotels because there has only ever been the two of us when im in Orlando.

ringwood1
23-01-2005, 03:59
Had to go for "other" as never stayed in a villa before but have booked one for our next trip in 2 weeks time.

chrizzy100
23-01-2005, 04:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ringwood1
Had to go for "other" as never stayed in a villa before but have booked one for our next trip in 2 weeks time.
[/quote]

I saw the pictures of the villas on the other topic about Orange tree.....and they look very nice.....I've not been in there to look....but I've passed it a lot of times......I'm sure you'll have a great time ......[msnsmile2]

rosie
23-01-2005, 04:26
We stayed in one of the supposed "5 star" hotels for a week when we went to check the progress on our villa. Their version of top class and mine obviously differ by a long way..... [msneek]

Also once stayed at the Wyndham on I Drive, don't think I'm allowed to say what I thought of that on a family forum [msnwink]

Every other time we have stayed in a villa and would never consider a hotel again.

chrizzy100
23-01-2005, 05:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rosieuk
We stayed in one of the supposed "5 star" hotels for a week when we went to check the progress on our villa. Their version of top class and mine obviously differ by a long way..... [msneek]

Also once stayed at the Wyndham on I Drive, don't think I'm allowed to say what I thought of that on a family forum [msnwink]

Every other time we have stayed in a villa and would never consider a hotel again.
[/quote]

I love the Custom House in Boston....I'd like to find something like it on the east coast of FL....to get my sea fix when away.......[msnsmile2]

Cruella DeVilla
23-01-2005, 14:13
Had lots of bad experiences in hotels in Orlando. I hate the noise factor of people coming and going slamming doors at all hours, shouting and general inconsideration. One stupid woman even brought her dog to breakfast and carried it under her arm whilst picking up the food. We complained to the manager and she took it away, claiming she did not realise it was not allowed. Next to us a poodle is sitting on a breakfast chair whilst people are looking for seats. I WAS FURIOUS!!!!!! Also at the pool I like to relax and read or just chill out which is not possible when there are lots of other guests whose idea of fun is dive bombing everyone!

A villa is the only way ahead for us now, well we would have to say that really as just tipped the piggybank upside down to buy one!!!
[msneek]

brizzle
23-01-2005, 14:41
We used to do hotels but after finding this site now do villa's although we still do the odd night in a hotel.
Last April we were there for 8 nights so booked a night at a Disney hotel then moved to the villa.

This October the villa we've booked isn't available for the first 3 nights so we'll look at a hotel for that period.
Animal Kingdom Lodge would be lovely again although we're tempted by Celebration Hotel as well.

Decisions decisions...

Brizzle.

CarolAnn
23-01-2005, 18:17
I have been to Orlando 5 times between 1991 and 2004 and until the last trip, we did not even consider a villa. I really don't know why. We mostly stayed at Disney Resort Hotels and while these offered certain advantages, they were prohibitively expensive, inconvenient (like having to walk half-a-mile for breakfast) and restrictive. I only made the decision to stay in a villa on the latest trip cos of the large size of our party. I now think it was the best decision that I ever made and have decided that in future we will only stay in villas.
[/quote]
Hurrah for Nostromo!!!
Disney accomodation can be fabulous, but a villa, just has something else, don't you think?

Cruella DeVilla
23-01-2005, 18:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
[/quote]
Hurrah for Nostromo!!!
Disney accomodation can be fabulous, but a villa, just has something else, don't you think?
[/quote]

Yes you can eat breakfast in the scuddy buddy!

CarolAnn
23-01-2005, 18:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
[/quote]
Hurrah for Nostromo!!!
[/quote]

Yes you can eat breakfast in the scuddy buddy!
[/quote]

[msnsad]Ok CDV...I don't know what a scuddy buddy is? But I know already that I want one!!![msntongue]

blott
23-01-2005, 19:26
Scullery perhaps? [confused]

caroline
23-01-2005, 20:01
We've stayed in villas and hotels, BUT the only reason we sometimes have 1 or 2 nights in a hotel is that we have guests staying in our villa:D - we're hopefully going over to the Gulf coast in 2006 and I definitely WON'T be asking for hotel recommendations, it's villas everytime for us.

ringwood1
23-01-2005, 20:02
I thought it meant naked.

Cruella DeVilla
23-01-2005, 20:09
[/quote]

Spot on![clap]

Nostromo
23-01-2005, 20:25
[/quote]

I thought that was 'Nuddy'???

ORLANDO_MAGIC
23-01-2005, 22:43
[/quote]

[/quote]

No not nuddy,but noddy

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/2005123184248_bum.gif

Cruella DeVilla
23-01-2005, 22:46
[:O]What have I started, bottoms on display!

Ray&Sarah
24-01-2005, 00:19
Now how did this thread end up on bottoms.....CDV!!!:D[msnwink][msnsmile2]

We have stayed in a few bad hotels in our time, but only really nice villas, which prompted us to buy one.[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
24-01-2005, 18:34
only been to florida twice and both times have stayed in a villa in fact the same one! couldnt imagine staying in a hotel in florida!
i love the pool to myself whenever i want and however i want;)
love to sit on a comfy chair with the old coccyx prob, so dont like sitting on beds all the time!
villas rule![msnwink]

E. Cosgrove
24-01-2005, 19:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ORLANDO_MAGIC
[/quote]

[/quote]

No not nuddy,but noddy

[/quote][msnembarrased][msnembarrased]:D

Cruella DeVilla
24-01-2005, 20:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ORLANDO_MAGIC
[/quote]

[/quote]

No not nuddy,but noddy

[/quote]

Liz,
Who you kidding we know what you see all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Tonish
25-01-2005, 13:09
I'm not sure exactly how many times we've been to Florida. Between '93 and 2000, I think possibly 6 times, and possibly 3 or 4 times between '83 and '93. I started going with my parents almost 30 years ago, and as my own family has grown up, I've taken them as often as possible. In all that time, I've only stayed in a hotel in Orlando once (the first time with my parents). Every time we've been to Orlando since, has been in a Villa. We've stayed in hotels and condos in other parts of Florida (actually, we've never had a Villa outside of Orlando come to think of it).

You just can't compare a hotel with a Villa and for the life of me, I can't think of any reason why you would stay in any other form of accommodation in Orlando. I have four kids, ranging from 2 to 14, and we need the flexibility to put the younger ones to bed while staying up ourselves with the older ones. We use the villa like we use our own home and it makes all the difference to the holiday.

Tonish

Nostromo
25-01-2005, 14:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVillahttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/2005123184248_bum.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Liz,
Who you kidding we know [b]what you see all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)
[/quote]

I don't understand; how can Liz herself see............[laugh]

ctgirlscout
30-01-2005, 20:00
Only a villa for us! :D

Phil and Mel
01-02-2005, 14:50
Only been once and it was a villa.....can't see me EVER stopping in a hotel in Florida, now!!

Phil

linsan
01-02-2005, 15:27
We used disney resort hotels until my son and daughter hit the teens then needed the privacy of their and our own bedrooms so tried a villa. Never looked back and now buying one with an 'intent' on another![msnsmile2]

Steve and Dawn
07-02-2005, 19:33
We have stayed in quite a few hotels in the past, but on long stays it's not a good idea. A villa gives you the oportunity to cook some healthy meals every once and a while. I know they change the sheets in hotels after every guest leaves but how often do they change the bedspread/comforter??? I had to laugh listening to Real Radio, Shannon Burke was talking about how many sweaty assed businessmen sit and lay naked on them....[msnscared]

Steve & Dawn

chunkichik
13-02-2005, 00:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Steve and Dawn
We have stayed in quite a few hotels in the past, but on long stays it's not a good idea. A villa gives you the oportunity to cook some healthy meals every once and a while. I know they change the sheets in hotels after every guest leaves but how often do they change the bedspread/comforter??? I had to laugh listening to Real Radio, Shannon Burke was talking about how many sweaty assed businessmen sit and lay naked on them....[msnscared]

Steve & Dawn
[/quote]

That conjures up awful images!!!!!!!!!!

We are going back for a third time this year and have only ever stayed in a villa, I would like to stay at a Disney Hotel once just to say that i've done it!!! and before the children are too old to enjoy it as well.

I just can't justify the expenditure when you look at how much you get with a villa, and it leaves me more money for shopping[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
13-02-2005, 14:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chunkichik
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i][/quote]

We are going back for a third time this year and have only ever stayed in a villa, I would like to stay at a Disney Hotel once just to say that i've done it!!! and before the children are too old to enjoy it as well.

I just can't justify the expenditure when you look at how much you get with a villa, and it leaves me more money for shopping[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

We have stayed at Disney Hotels and the experince cannot compare with a villa. There may be some positives, but after a few days, the excitement wanes and you begin to look at the disadvantages more. There can be a very long wait to check-in when you come in and the rooms are often a good walk from the facilities. Eating in-house is expensive and can get monotonous after a while. Even if you get transport and early access into the WDW parks, you may not feel like starting out that early---but if you don't, you've lost one advantage.

Since there is a LOT more in going to Orlando these days than WDW alone, I think a Villa (particularly one from this site ;)), would offer a combination of good value, advantages and flexibilty that you simple cannot get in a WDW resort.

VIvandPhil
14-02-2005, 23:04
We have timeshare and have always exchanged. We have been to some great Resorts (Marriott, Hilton, Vistana, Orange Lake etc)Looking forward to going back in ten weeks time (our 21st trip!) - we are going to Cypress Pointe for one week and Embassy Vacation Resort on Lake Brian for 2 weeks - it is across the car park from the Golden Corral so I know where we will be for breakfast !
Don't believe all of the bad publicity about timeshare - it was the best single thing we ever did from a holiday point of view. We have never had a bad exchange in Florida.

chrizzy100
14-02-2005, 23:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by VIvandPhil
We have timeshare and have always exchanged. We have been to some great Resorts (Marriott, Hilton, Vistana, Orange Lake etc)Looking forward to going back in ten weeks time (our 21st trip!) - we are going to Cypress Pointe for one week and Embassy Vacation Resort on Lake Brian for 2 weeks - it is across the car park from the Golden Corral so I know where we will be for breakfast !
Don't believe all of the bad publicity about timeshare - it was the best single thing we ever did from a holiday point of view. We have never had a bad exchange in Florida.

[/quote]

My neigbbour has time shares in a lot of places in FL.......and he loves them......he snowbirds there all winter....he also owns a great condo at Vero beach.....

CarolAnn
14-02-2005, 23:54
I think life is about choices, and a villa certainly provides plenty of choices, when staying in the Orlando area there is just so many things to do as well as the theme parks!! If you travel with a larger group too a villa just can't be beaten can it?

KirstieLou
23-02-2005, 17:01
We staryed in a villa the 1st time we went. We loved Florida so much we went again 6 months later on a very very last minute deal (flight booked less than 24 hours before). We stayed at Howard Johnson Florida Mall. We hated it. Dirty dingy room. Staff couldn't care less (girl on reception didn't understand English!)

Its a villa for us every time. There is always just me & hubby but we still would rather pay a few extra quid for 2 weeks in a rented villa.

Lyn
24-02-2005, 15:37
The first few times we went we stayed in hotels, but once we had tried a Villa that was it, there is absolutley no comparison I would never stay in a hotel again. A villa is a much mure relaxing place to be.

SG
24-02-2005, 17:52
We have stayed in both. When we first visited Orlando we stayed in a villa for a week, then went down to the Florida Keys and then returned to Orlando for a few days and stayed in a hotel. We had such freedom in the villa that the hotel was such a disappointment!

Aiminghigh
24-02-2005, 21:52
Done both. Villa wins hands down!

Hopkinson

Fran19
03-03-2005, 18:03
We have stayed in both hotels and villas and the same as Nostromo only tried a villa when the size of our party dictated it. We would have had to have 6 rooms in a hotel so hired a villa instead. We now only go to villas even when there are only two of us (which was only once actually!). We much prefer being able to get up and get breakfast and coffee really early if we have a long trip ahead of us that day. There's more freedom in hiring a villa and one thing I love is their top loading washing machines!!! Hubby thinks I'm crazy 'cos I love to do all my washing when I'm away and not have that job when I get back to England. I don't think the other guests would appreciate me hogging the washing machines in the hotels early in the morning!! It's definitely villas for us - just want one of our own now!

janwebb
03-03-2005, 18:15
I had to vote 'never stayed in a villa' but thats all about to change in August this year. Been twice to orlando, cant remember where stayed the first time (about 12 years ago) but 2003 stayed at the DoubleTree resort on the 192 which was very nice.

I'm sure that my villa stay will be a much better experience though [8D]

Nostromo
04-03-2005, 00:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by janwebb
I had to vote 'never stayed in a villa' but thats all about to change in August this year. Been twice to orlando, cant remember where stayed the first time (about 12 years ago) but 2003 stayed at the DoubleTree resort on the 192 which was very nice.

I'm sure that my villa stay will be a much better experience though [8D]
[/quote]

You bet! We stayed in hotels 4 times before braving a villa last year only because of the large size of the party. But having experienced the comfort and flexibilty of an OV Villa, my wife and I have decided that we will always stay in a villa even if it is just the two of us going. (The problem is, it won't be till Ocober 2007! :()