PDA

View Full Version : Driving a 15-seater

Lee
14-01-2003, 13:03
Experts,
We have been offered a 15-seater for about US$1300. It seems to be good value but I'm wondering if it's overkill. There are 11 of us going but I'm wondering what sort of license you would need to drive such a beast. Are there any special requirements? I'm talking in the context of a full Irish driving license.

If the license holder is licensed to drive a vehicle here with up to 8 passengers (B license), does that restriction carry over to the US or is it a straight-forward 'if you have a driving license, you can drive anything'?

Thanks,
Lee

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-01-2003, 14:28
How long is the rental for Lee as $1300 sounds a bit steep for 2 weeks but a good deal for 3 weeks?

phaedra
14-01-2003, 14:30
Not sure about the license aspect but $1300 (£865) seems high for a 12 seater.

If there are 11 of you the 15 seater may be a better option depending on how much luggage you have, 5 of us in a standard 7 seater with luggage was pretty full.

phaedra
14-01-2003, 14:33
Sorry can't read! thought you said 12 seater!, still worth trying Hire for Lower or Americars (I think they are part of the same company) as they were the cheapest by far when we hired.

Lee
14-01-2003, 14:47
Again, thanks for the replies so far.

A friend is looking after this and tells me that it's part of the flight package that we've been offered. I'm just worried that we end up with a white elephant of a thing that's no use to us. If we're paying an extra $130 a head to get this van and then we discover that we aren't able to drive it.

A 15-seater sounds kind of big to me and I don't think any of us have experience manoeuvring that kind of thing. I am thinking that we could go shopping for flights elsewhere without footing the bill for something that we mightn't use. I'm sure we can get a bit of practice in before we go, so fear aside, what are the legal implications of driving this sort of thing? Do we need a special license? As far as my friend understands, you don't need a PSV license if you're just using it for private use.

fiona
14-01-2003, 15:07
With that number of you have you considered hiring 2 cars? It will mean you don't all have to do the same things all the time?

Of course there are price implications, so the 15 seater may represent better value. We had a 4x4 for 5 of us this time and it was very uncomfortable in the back. Would have been better with the luxury car, but I wanted to try the 4x4, so it was all my fault!!

phaedra
14-01-2003, 16:02
Why were the contact details for Hire for Lower and Florida Car Hire removed from my 1st post?

Phaedra: The forums are not a place to advertise the services of other websites like this. By all means recommend people but if you want to quote prices etc etc we'd prefer it that you use private messages or email. John, Orlando Villas

florida4sun
14-01-2003, 18:27
They just ask for a valid liscence. I have always driven these of a full Uk license and Florida lisence. They are easy to drive and not as big as you think.
For a better rate try the car hire available on Orlando Villas. It is with dollar so you will colect at the airport.

quote:Originally posted by Lee

Experts,
We have been offered a 15-seater for about US$1300. It seems to be good value but I'm wondering if it's overkill. There are 11 of us going but I'm wondering what sort of license you would need to drive such a beast. Are there any special requirements? I'm talking in the context of a full Irish driving license.

If the license holder is licensed to drive a vehicle here with up to 8 passengers (B license), does that restriction carry over to the US or is it a straight-forward 'if you have a driving license, you can drive anything'?

Thanks,
Lee

Kissyme
14-01-2003, 18:44
Lee, year before last we had a 15 seater a Dodge Ram looked very big when it pulled up in the car park but beautiful to drive and parking spaces are pretty generous so did`nt have a prob.. very comfy ride

blott
16-01-2003, 17:06
Only problem with a vehicle this size is that everyone in your party is going to have to want to go to the same place at the same time. Only you know your party and whether it's possible for everyone to agree on the same destination!

If you think it's going to cause arguments, best to go for two vehicles so that you can at least do a two way split of destinations, even if that means paying slightly more it might be worthwhile in the long run, if only in keeping the peace!

The other thing to bear in mind is how much luggage you are taking as there are no roof racks available for US rental cars. If you're taking 11 large hard type suitcases and 11 sets of large hand luggage, you may have problems finding a vehicle suitable to fit it all in but at least you'll be getting four extra seats with your 15 seater.

You can get 12 seater vehicles (I think already mentioned above) but all US vehicles are generally easy to drive (they're all automatic) and lots have cruise control, etc. Parking spaces are pretty generous everywhere and so are lane sizes. You'll probably only ever reverse out of your Florida home driveway and out of parking spaces so that you can position someone outside the vehicle to guide you if necessary.

I drive a 7 seater in UK and find that's pretty much as easy as an ordinary car to drive.

neilandkay
18-01-2003, 04:29
We hired a 7 seater minivan for $199 / week plus taxes in Dec. However that didn't include car insurance as our normal US car insurance covered that. I think that was through Thrify Car Rental.

2 x 7 seaters may be more flexible for a large party so that you can go to different places if you want (however if you all want to go to the same places, you may end up paying double parking fees).

Don't underestimate the amount of luggage you may be taking. We only had 3 people in the minivan, but had a lot of luggage!

Kay

Lee
20-01-2003, 16:27
Thanks for all of the feedback folks. We went ahead and took the van but we'll also hire a second car (before we go). It'll probably be well into the first week before we orient ourselves and know where to go. The van will be handy for getting to and from the airport (with all of the luggage) but at least one other car will be handy for people doing their own thing. One of our party drives a lorry so driving a 15-seater (Dodge Ram?) shouldn't prove to be too difficult.

Cheers all

orlandobabe
20-01-2003, 21:29
We were a party of 9 in October. We had hired a 12 seater which wasn't available and we were given a 15 seater instead.

I absolutely hated it and felt very unsafe in it. I felt it bounced along and it really gobbled up the petrol.

We took it back and got a 7 seater and a 5 seater. I was so pleased. Some days only 3 of us went out-can you imagine.

It was ok driving it along the main highways-but it was really out of place in the small town of Mount Dora.

geoffm
23-07-2003, 01:28
I don't know when you were going to hire the van, or if you have already done so, but Autos Abroad, Hire4Lower etc have allegedly gone bust. Dollar rent-a-car in Sanford, Florida are NOT accepting vouchers from them.

Geoff M.

semerton
24-07-2003, 01:20
About 5 years ago I needed an 8 seater but I could not upgrate from the uk so had to wait until we got to Sandford but they only got a 15 seater and it was big my driving licence was ok but when we got back I got a bill for a $1000 for the insurance so make sure you get all inclusive from the uk

Sylvia

philb
24-07-2003, 03:33
Is it true there are no roof racks on hire cars in US>

I am sure for our 7 seater later this month we have booked a roof rack for our luggage to and from the airport.

Any advice!!

blott
24-07-2003, 03:44
Not in my experience Philb but I guess it depends which car rental company you are picking up your car from? I've never seen a roof rack anywhere in Florida! But Dollar do rent ski racks in areas where these are required.