PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Degrees and Qualifications

musictech
21-01-2005, 04:44
Hi - congratulations (and thanks) for running such a friendly, informative and fascinating site. This is my first posting; I hope I'm in the right place. My question relates to the relative value of Post-Graduate qualifications in US/Florida. I'm about to embark on an M.A. here in the UK with stepping off points at Post-Grad Cert (PGC) and Post-Grad Dip (PGD) levels. It's a long story, but I never did complete a Bachelor degree. Would a PGC or PGD be recognised as an advanced post-graduate qualification for teaching purposes, or would it be better to take the extra time and complete the whole M.A. course?

Also, I've been offered an alternative place on an on-line M.A. at an Australian University. How can I verify that the Aussie qualification would be recognised in Florida?

Time is an issue - neither we nor our kids are getting any younger, and like many of the people registered here, we're desperate to start a new life in Florida. Current exchange rates and property markets are also an issue....!

Many thanks.

Seminole
22-01-2005, 00:12
The lack of a bachelor's degree may be the primary stumbling block. To have a teacher's certification I believe that you need at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited university. The question is whether the MA would suffice to "leap frog" you over that requirement. I would suggest contacting a college of education at any Florida university and inquiring specifically about the status of the credentials you would have following the awarding of the MA degree and whether that status would be sufficient for the certification. Frankly I don't think the Australian degree would put you at any disadvantage whatsoever. Do be aware that university level teaching positions are 1. in short supply in Florida and 2. Are chronically underfunded by the state. Florida consistently ranks in the lower 10 of the fifty states in commitment to education. If you are thinking of a high school or lower level of teaching, please give this very careful consideration as working conditions and pay for most public school teachers is abysmal. Polk County for example recently indicated that it would try to cut teacher's pay and already paid some of the lowest wages in the state. The problem is that at millions of people are moving and retiring to Florida and the state will not pass an income tax or raise property taxes to pay for the educational requirements of children in the state. By the way, if you enjoy sitting in miles long traffic jams (albeit the sky is sunny) every single day of the year, do move over for the "quality of life"!

musictech
23-01-2005, 15:01
Hi Seminole - Thanks for that; I've noted all those points and will follow your advice... Paul

flyrr100
23-01-2005, 17:16
We relocated to Central Florida from Ohio. My wife is a 20 year teacher with her BS degree. In Ohio she was earning in the low 40ks. Here in Florida she was offered 25k. So she does private tuition and is back to her 40k! We pay the liability insurance and taxes and she still earns so much more than a Florida teacher.
We aren't discusted with the education our kids are getting here. My kids go to Red Bug Elementary and Tuckawilla Middle. They are both ok schools. We just miss Ohio's top notch system.
We moved here for my job by the way.