PDA

View Full Version : Nursing Visa/Green Card

ajay83
20-01-2005, 19:29
Hi everyone.

I've read that there is an obvious shortage of nurses and that having a qualification in nursing can lead to a green card pretty quickly...

Are there any visas for training to be a nurse while in the USA? In the UK it would take about 3 years to become a nurse and I don't really fancy being here for that length of time!

How long would it take in the US and is it possible to train in the US and subsequently get a green card when qualified or is it not as easy as that?

Adam

daisy
20-01-2005, 21:30
hi not shure about training whilst out in the u s but am pretty shure you have to be quilified for at least a year and then pass an exam as our registration is differnt from theirs.someone else might be able to tell you more specifically.

Robert5988
20-01-2005, 21:41
I understand that there is a queue of fully trained nurses from the Far East(mainly Philippines) waiting to enter the USA.

esprit
21-01-2005, 07:34
If you are a trained UK nurse you can take the Nyclex exam and apply for a green card without needing to go through labour certification but the whole process seems to take about two years or more. Training for nursing in the US is difficult. If you are British, you would need to do so on F1 student visa. The only institions that wpuld consider training my son as an international student were expensive private colleges. Many of the public ones have a green card or citizens only policy because of the nursing shortage, ie they are worried American trained foreign nurses will then go back and work in their native country - LOL.

ajay83
21-01-2005, 14:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]ie they are worried American trained foreign nurses will then go back and work in their native country - LOL.
[/quote]

Oh the irony... i'd sign anything saying i won't leave afterwards! LOL

andy and ann hales
30-01-2005, 01:15
HI

try
www.nurseatwork.com

The is a great book Nursing in America by Eugenie Houston
price £15
US$25
available on amozon

This will give anyone an insite

esprit
30-01-2005, 06:57
I have to say I am on another forum for expats that has a lot of green card nurses on it and to be frank a lot of them seem unhappy with the work conditions, long hours and standards in US hospitals which they say are worse than under the NHS. Reading between the lines, it takes over two years to get into the US as a British nurse and when you get here in aint all milk and honey. As someone posted, why do you think they have a shortgage of nurses??

E. Cosgrove
30-01-2005, 17:57
There is also the very serious issue of the UK NHS spending time and money to train nurses only to have them "defect" to other countries.
People are all too ready to criticise the NHS but there is nowhere else like it in the world, and we are crying out for good nurses.
I for one would like to see nurses who are trained in the UK contracted to the NHS for x years after their training is complete or repay their training costs.

amy
01-02-2005, 00:30
Liz i met a friend a few weeks ago who has been seconded to train, however written into the contract she must stay two years after qualifying.
I think if i wanted a green card i'd change career, i think i'd want a different life. Don't get me wrong i love my Job (District Nurse)but times are changing fast.

E. Cosgrove
01-02-2005, 03:07
I work in the community as well Amy, don't think I would want to go back into a hospital to work[msnsad]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by amy
Liz i met a friend a few weeks ago who has been seconded to train, however written into the contract she must stay two years after qualifying.
I think if i wanted a green card i'd change career, i think i'd want a different life. Don't get me wrong i love my Job (District Nurse)but times are changing fast.
[/quote]