PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel old?

Rich-n-Ang
20-01-2005, 14:59
I've just received this by e-mail and thought I'd share it with you, are there any other kids of the 60's and 70's out there that can relate to it ?

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint, which was promptly chewed and licked. We had no child-proof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and
Fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted
the same.
We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing..

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this.
We would spend hours building go-carts out of s[bad language filtered out]s and then went top
speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After
running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one
minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99
channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile
phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends –

We went outside and found them.
We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt!
We played Bulldog which also really hurt
We danced to Madonna, when she was invented, nevermind reinvented.
We drank Sodastreams on the steps of our front doors.
We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no
lawsuits.
We had full on fistfights but no prosecution followed from other
parents.
We played knock-on-the-door-and-run-away and were actually afraid of
the owners catching us.
We walked to friends' homes.
We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy
Or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.
We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem
solvers and inventors, ever.
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how
To deal with it all.
And you're one of them. Congratulations!
Show this to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids,
Before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

For those of you who aren't old enough thought you might like to read
about us. This my friends, is surprisingly frightening, and it might put a smile on your face: The majority of students in universities today were born in 1986. They are called youth.
They have never heard of 'We are the World', 'We are the children', and the Uptown Girl they know is by West Life not Billy Joel. They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Neneh Cherry or Belinda Carlisle.
For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam.
AIDS has existed since they were born.
CD's have existed since they were born.
Michael Jackson has always been white.
To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't
imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance.
They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are Films
From last year.
They can never imagine life before computers.
They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, Red-Hand Gang or the
Famous Five.
They'll neve

LiesaAnna
20-01-2005, 15:11
[clap][clap][clap][clap]
i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so true!!!very true all the first lot above it takes me back, wearing coats by the hood,
gonna read this again and again!!!! i can see it all in my mind now!

oh and by the way i am not old!!!!the body is!!!!!!!!!

Cruella DeVilla
20-01-2005, 15:27
I have seen this before but I felt realy old the other day when I went to the dentist and the slip of a girl introduced herself as my new dentist...GULP! She was newly qualified and it was nerve racking to say the least!

poohbear
20-01-2005, 16:09
i agree with you leisa im not old my body is?hahaha
but thate-mai is fantastic im gonna print it and show everybody i know [clap][clap][clap][clap][msnsmile2][chatter]:D

poohbear
20-01-2005, 16:10
i need a new keyboard my one is illiterate[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
20-01-2005, 16:26
mine is worn out!!! the keyboard that is[msnwink] [laugh][laugh]

ctgirlscout
20-01-2005, 16:32
I've seen this before, too. My favorite is the one about Michael Jackson! We were watching some kind of documentary on him last year, and my 14 year old son was surprised t learn that Michael Jackson was actually Black! [msneek]

sheenallan
20-01-2005, 18:19
i too can relate to eveything that has been said including watching the first moon landing, Kennedy getting shot but i am not old the body is just a different shape that,s all and the mind might not be ask quick but inside i,m still 17 never going to get old!!!!![msnwink][msnwink]

Nostromo
20-01-2005, 18:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rich-n-Ang
I've just received this by e-mail and thought I'd share it with you, are there any other kids of the 60's and 70's out there that can relate to it ?

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived.

We went outside and found them.
We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt!
We played Bulldog which also really hurt
We danced to Madonna, when she was invented, nevermind reinvented.
We drank Sodastreams on the steps of our front doors.
We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no
lawsuits.
We had full on fistfights but no prosecution followed from other
parents.
We played knock-on-the-door-and-run-away and were actually afraid of
the owners catching us.
We walked to friends' homes.
We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy
Or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.
We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually sided with the law.

[/quote]

Age is nothing but a number. Today's regulators and bureaucrats can go jump in a lake (or two, if one won't hold them all). Our generation knew how to really live. Today's kids live in a boring world of Playstations and Political Correctness. [zzz][zzz]

Liam_Sandie
20-01-2005, 18:43
Absolutely brilliant!!! Can relate totally to a most of it and yes...it made me smile!![msnsmile2][msnwink]

Sally D
20-01-2005, 19:09
My girls don't know how I survived my childhood without DVD's, playstations etc.
I loved playing elastic but also hopscotch, so much fun in those days.

Sharon G
20-01-2005, 19:29
I loved my childhood and this has definately made me smile[msnsmile2]
......I remember the "rah rah" skirt the first time around[msnscared][msnscared]

.....you know your getting older when you've kept your clothes and they then come back in fashion years later[msnoo][msnoo][msncry]

Sharon

Rich-n-Ang
20-01-2005, 19:45
I still have my original "Space Hopper" circa 1966 (the orange one ;)), the wife keeps telling me to throw it away but I couldn't bear to.

chunkichik
20-01-2005, 20:04
Bought the Kylie CD at Xmas and was chatting to my friend, there is a video of us somewhere (i'm not telling) to her first singles!!!! Those were the days, age 15 watching Dirty Dancing and drinking a bottle of Concorde wine every Friday evening!!!!! sigh,

You're only as old as the man you feel, so I must go now and find me a younger model[msnwink]

Anita

Nostromo
20-01-2005, 20:09
I still have my original "Space Hopper" circa 1966 (the orange one ;)), the wife keeps telling me to throw it away but I couldn't bear to.
[/quote]

I've got more than 5000 'Silver Age' comics from my childhood that I don't allow anyone to touch. Also loads of those 3D View Master Reels. Kids these days never seem to understand how enjoyable those things were. Pity.

daisy
20-01-2005, 21:26
hi didnt think i was that old till i read that can remember most of it !

Sally D
20-01-2005, 22:39
[/quote]

WOW, did you have a chopper bike too[msnsmile2]

Ray&Sarah
20-01-2005, 23:35
Great Rich n Ang, can remember most of it well, must be getting old then.[msnsmile2]

sunseeker
21-01-2005, 02:17
I had a chopper with the gearstick on the crossbar,unlike its cheap modern day version. very uncool.

Dave

Kissyme
21-01-2005, 10:36
Arrrrr the good old days I remember all these thing and more I have 3 teenage boys and it is hard to not say "it was better when I was younger" so I try to say "It was different"
Some things are "different" today

We would`nt be able to book holidays, talk and make friends who love Florida on line

I would be taking my boy`s to Leysdown instead of Orlando

I would have been able to play football instead of netball

Still had great fun when I was a slip of a girl and it is a shame that nearly everything we do now if governed by some-one else

LiesaAnna
21-01-2005, 13:22
here here..............:D
they were great days tho werent they!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich-n-Ang
21-01-2005, 14:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sally D
[/quote]

[/quote]

Unfortunately not Sally, but I did put Cow horn handlebars on my racer [msnsmile2]

21-01-2005, 16:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sally D
[/quote]

[/quote]

Unfortunately not Sally, but I did put Cow horn handlebars on my racer [msnsmile2]
[/quote]

I can remember the Xmas that my brother got a Chopper bike, many other boys down our road were also getting one that year so on Xmas Eve all the Dads had a Chopper race up and down the street - it was soooo funny!!!

Who remembers 'Clackers' I think thats what they were called[?]

Rich-n-Ang
21-01-2005, 16:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal[br
[/quote]

2 balls on a bit of string ? yes I think they were called Clackers, if they were available now you would probably have to wear cricket gloves and safety goggles to play with them [msnsmile]

Sally D
21-01-2005, 17:23
I never had a chopper either, I sooooooo wanted one[msncry]
I didn't even have a space hopper, but my sister did.
Oh yes, clackers, always had bruised wrists with them, cor they hurt.

21-01-2005, 17:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal[br
[/quote]

2 balls on a bit of string ? yes I think they were called Clackers, if they were available now you would probably have to wear cricket gloves and safety goggles to play with them [msnsmile]
[/quote]

That's the ones! They were fab I was addicted to them!

LiesaAnna
21-01-2005, 19:18
i thought they were called K-nackers! am sure thats what we called them in Brighton
but i remember the swollen wrist!! oh they did hurt ;)

ellie
21-01-2005, 19:33
And can anyone remember the Corona van arriving each week - what a treat to go and buy just one bottle of highly coloured orange 'pop'? We didn't go to the supermarket and stock up on bottles of it - and if it was flat by the end of the week, well we still drank it - and it HAD to last till the end of the week!

Yes, life is amazing with all the technology, and I enjoy all the benefits, but perhaps it is a little sad too that children won't know some of the simple pleasures of life, and think they are hard done by if their phone doesn't take videos!

Great email, and lots of food for thought, and after all you never really age in your head, despite the sagging bits that prove that you are no longer 16!;)

stabard
21-01-2005, 19:36
[msnsmile2] I remember the xmas I got my Chopper bike (with gear stick!) anad my brother got the smaller Chipper bike. I also had K-nackers and my kids were stunned the other day when I showed them how to play 2 balls against the wall. |nd what about putting the tennis ball in the end of one of your mums ol stc=ockings and playing with that and the wall? Cripes I feel ancient[msnscared]

Nostromo
21-01-2005, 19:36
I must be REALLY getting old. I can remember (though I was a 6 year old kid), Cliff Richard's 21st birthday album with the pic of him blowing out the candles.

Rich-n-Ang
21-01-2005, 19:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie
And can anyone remember the Corona van arriving each week -
[/quote]

The pop lorry that delivered round our way was called Alpine (this thread is turning into a Peter Kay sketch - Rola-Cola rules [msnsmile2])

Sally D
21-01-2005, 20:13
Memories - we were allowed 2 bottles of corona a week, went and picked which ones on Sunday, and took the empties back later for some money (can't recall how much).
Yes Stabard I used to put tennis balls in my mums tights, can remember getting told off many a time for cutting up her new tights.:D