PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast in America

MaggieAllan
20-01-2005, 12:24
Just wondering what everyone does for breakfast when over in the States.

MaggieAllan
20-01-2005, 12:25
We tend to do a combination of the first three, and over the years have tended to lean towards more eating at the villa whilst everyone has a morning swim.

julieanne
20-01-2005, 12:42
[msntongue][msntongue] [msntongue] [msntongue] [msntongue]
I LOVE breakfasts in America.
In Florida we usually go for the non-buffet.
IHOP definately my fav "chain", closely followed by Perkins [msntongue]
And some nice places on the Gulf Coast - ooooh I'm drooling, especially after my dieters porridge this morning [msnwink]

MaggieAllan
20-01-2005, 12:49
Jules, you didn't vote...need that as well as comments[msntongue]

LiesaAnna
20-01-2005, 13:06
will probably have bought sickening cakes and all sorts of goodies at walmart, so will eat or pick at them before going out! but have been known to have ponderosa brekkie the first time we went but not the second, kids are just so fussy!!!![msnwink]

julieanne
20-01-2005, 13:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MaggieAllan
Jules, you didn't vote...need that as well as comments[msntongue]
[/quote]

I've voted now Maggie.
I was getting SOOOO excited at the thought of an IHOP brekkie I forgot to vote before [msnembarrased]

MaggieAllan
20-01-2005, 13:18
I just looked up IHOP to see if they are in the UK....how can they be International if they only have branches in USA and Canada or can someone tell me different???

Also, does anyone know if any of the other brands are available over in the UK????

Sally D
20-01-2005, 13:47
I voted for buffet, Golden Coral for us. Although we don't go everyday, sometimes we do something quick at the villa.

blott
20-01-2005, 14:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MaggieAllan
I just looked up IHOP to see if they are in the UK....how can they be International if they only have branches in USA and Canada or can someone tell me different???

Also, does anyone know if any of the other brands are available over in the UK????[/quote]I think they're called International because they serve pancake styles from different countries?

Cruella DeVilla
20-01-2005, 14:20
Mainly we eat at the villa, sometimes we have McDonalds breakfast as I like their Griddles and McMuffins. I hate everything else in there but for some reason like the breakfast menu.

LiesaAnna
20-01-2005, 15:02
you learn something new every day, didnt think you'd be a mcdonalds babe![msnwink]
even i am not into mcdonalds!!! and thats saying something! had to go for the kids, but am not overstruck on them, but may look into their brekkies now!

give me Uncle Sams Burgers anyday, (think we only have them down south) ummmmmmmm! stop it...........diet...........ok

brizzle
20-01-2005, 16:07
Whilst the villa is the majority of breakfasts, it's a combination of the first four.

Normally do the Princess breakfast in the castle, with two girls I have no choice and I enjoy it too.
IHOP is a must for a few brekkies as well....mmm pancakes.

We also do a couple of buffet breakfasts but mostly we eat in the villa before hitting that days activities.

Brizzle.

20-01-2005, 16:21
Favourite breakfast is the little cafe on the corner in Celebration can't remember the name of it but it overlooks the lake where the rocking chairs are, it so lovely to sit outside[msnwink]

Not tried IHOP so must do that next visit, but have gone off places like Dennys etc.[msntongue]

julieanne
20-01-2005, 16:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
<span style="color:red">Favourite breakfast is the little cafe on the corner in Celebration can't remember the name of it but it overlooks the lake where the rocking chairs are, it so lovely to sit outside</span id="red">[msnwink]

Not tried IHOP so must do that next visit, but have gone off places like Dennys etc.[msntongue]
[/quote]

Forgot about this one - yet another of my favourites [msntongue]

resorthomerentals
20-01-2005, 17:29
We prefer eating at the villa when traveling with our kids. They tend to get a little cranky if they have to wait too long for breakfast!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-01-2005, 17:46
IHOP or Perkins

Nostromo
20-01-2005, 18:40
We almost always have breakfast in the villa because I would have ordered an early start (or else!). Sometimes we miss breakfast (if going to a water park, for example), but seldom eat that meal outside.

Rich-n-Ang
20-01-2005, 18:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
Sometimes we miss breakfast (if going to a water park, for example)
[/quote]

When I was young my parents would never let me swim for an hour or so after eating and this is something I've always stuck to with our kids as well, but I've always wondered if it was just an "old wives tale" or is there something in it (Nostromo ?)

chrizzy100
20-01-2005, 19:18
We have cornflakes in our villa if we are doing something around the house that day.....but cooking breakfast is not on my list for any reason while away......cooking any meal for that matter.....I'm still getting my head around having to make the bed while on holiday.....and I'm not sure I like it.......[msncry][msnmad]

Nostromo
20-01-2005, 20:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rich-n-Ang
[/quote]

When I was young my parents would never let me swim for an hour or so after eating and this is something I've always stuck to with our kids as well, but I've always wondered if it was just an "old wives tale" or is there something in it (Nostromo ?)
[/quote]

There is something in it. A lot of the blood is diverted to the stomach after a heavy meal and if you jump into a (relatively) cold pool soon afterwards, there is another rapid circulatory redistribution. Not ideal for someone with a dicky ticker (Mine is fine, BTW). Although the water in the parks is warmed, it is still a lot cooler than the skin's surface temperature and on a warm day this sudden change can theoretically cause problems.

chunkichik
20-01-2005, 20:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rich-n-Ang
[/quote]

[/quote]

There is something in it. A lot of the blood is diverted to the stomach after a heavy meal and if you jump into a (relatively) cold pool soon afterwards, there is another rapid circulatory redistribution. Not ideal for someone with a dicky ticker (Mine is fine, BTW). Although the water in the parks is warmed, it is still a lot cooler than the skin's surface temperature and on a warm day this sudden change can theoretically cause problems.
[/quote]

Interesting, I thought it was something to do with cramp!!

E. Cosgrove
20-01-2005, 21:59
Denny's was always my favourite until we discovered the market street cafe at Celebration, great food, inexpensive, [msnsmile2]a wonderful ambience and you can eat outdoors. We went there every day for our breakfast in Oct and the same locals were there every morning, the man who tied his golden lab to the tree on the sidewalk, the lady who always wore wellies and the lady on her mobility scooter. When we went again in Jan it was the same familiar people eating breakfast outside in the sunshine, except wellie woman wasn't wearing her wellies!!!<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
Favourite breakfast is the little cafe on the corner in Celebration can't remember the name of it but it overlooks the lake where the rocking chairs are, it so lovely to sit outside[msnwink]

[/quote]

SG
20-01-2005, 22:50
Definitely buffet style breakfast for us. We have never tried the Golden Corral before but after the numerous recommendations for it on this site it is at the top of our list for the next visit. Making me hungry just thinking about it!

KJH
20-01-2005, 22:53
Hi Liz

I agree with you, the Cafe at Celebration, It's going to be the first OUT breakfast we have when we arrive, we are taking friends with us and our children have not tried it either. We hope they are all going to like it.

It all depends on what we are doing on the day as to how we breakfast.

MGM character breakfast gets a day going well.[clap]

Kaz

Ray&Sarah
20-01-2005, 23:28
We tend to have a mixture of things, sometimes eat at the villa and sometimes eat out at buffet style restaurants and sometimes sit down breakfasts at Dennys etc.

My son is a keen swimmer and he cannot go training just after a meal as it makes him sluggish and feel sick.

ORLANDO_MAGIC
20-01-2005, 23:52
I have to admit to loving buffets and never having stayed at a villa i eat out every morning at Sizzler,Ponderosa and Golden Corral although i do like Perkins also which is not a buffet but they do serve some lovely omelets,as you can see from the photo below of my ham omelet.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/2005120194020_PERKINS.jpg

Ray&Sarah
20-01-2005, 23:57
Mmm looks good, mouth watering as I type.[msnsmile2]

Liam_Sandie
21-01-2005, 00:00
We tend to eat at the villa, cereal and fresh fruit...its probably the only meal of the day when we actually eat normally and don't overdo it!![msntongue]

amy
21-01-2005, 00:25
We tend to eat in most days, but we have to have at least on sizzlers and a character breakfast each visit.

linda allen
21-01-2005, 02:38
We tend to eat breakfast at the villa, but I do love to have it out at least one day so that I can have corned beef hash with poached eggs.[msntongue]

fraser
23-06-2005, 23:54
Never been one for breakfast myself.

Steviek
25-06-2005, 02:26
We really like Golden Corral & previously would never eat in McDonalds but a few in Orlando have now become Gourmet. they have a special menu which you order to cook individually eg omelettes, eggs benedict etc very good & very cheap. They do gourmet sandwiches Pizzas also throughout the day which looked very good value. they have a chef there cooking the stuff in front of you.

Ray&Sarah
25-06-2005, 13:20
We saw the Gourmet restaurants when we were there last time, now the words Gourmet and MacDonalds don't seem a likely match but may hav to take the kids and try it out now Steviek.[msnsmile2]

Steviek
25-06-2005, 14:33
Think you will be pleasantly surprised

25-06-2005, 23:23
I will not set foot in Mcds ever again Gourmet or not!![msnscared]

If I want an omlette I go to Celebration[msnwink]

CarolAnn
26-06-2005, 00:01
One of the many reasons we love the US in the first place, especially the Orlando area, is that whatever your tastes ood wise, there is something for everyone! We are creatures of habit with breakfast and all the family do like a simple and quick cereal breakfast:) However in April, after checking our luggage at Virgin in DT Disney this time we did call in to McD's at Champions gate for a bacon Bagel...and VERY nice it was too:D:D

domster
26-06-2005, 22:56
I would say Sizzler.

However when our villa is complete we will probably eat in there. (after 2 days of all you can eat I tend to get sick of the sight of bacon and sausage).

ahagan
30-06-2005, 13:55
We mostly eat breakfast in the villa but we love Waffle House, IHOP and Golden Coral for breakfast

becbecs
30-06-2005, 14:38
Eat breakfast in the Villa most mornings but have tried the Wafflehouse which was an experience and did the Character Breakfast once, now this was great, everything you could think of food wise for breakfast was there, absolutly love the American Crispy Bacon stuff.[clap]

andreah
30-06-2005, 15:14
Perkins....Perkins....perkins....!!!!

Ana
30-06-2005, 17:25
We have to keep everyone happy so vary our beakfasts - I like to eat light by the Pool in the Villa, Hubby doesn't feel he's in America unless he starts the day with a Waffle House, kids also like Waffle House, my eldest likes Golden Corral or IHOP. Cat in the Hat character Breakfast at IOA is a good one too.

spg
03-07-2005, 22:54
Denny's for us, just love the two egg breakfast although we do like the IHOP too.

owen3
08-07-2005, 05:40
i do not eat breakfast i have a ihop milkshake, the others like either ihop or golden corral. barbara

mollymoo
09-07-2005, 00:21
We will eat in the villa but have got to do a ponderosa just so the kids can have their jelly for breakfast![V]

luckylady
10-07-2005, 18:21
We love Breahfast in America ,it sets us up for the day. hardly ever eat Lunch if we have had a good breakfast
Then by 8pm we are ready to start all over again

Maz
30-07-2005, 23:25
brekkie in the villa for us - occasionally a character breakfast ie Crystal Palace. Where is the character breakfast at MGM?

Ray&Sarah
31-07-2005, 01:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mollymoo
We will eat in the villa but have got to do a ponderosa just so the kids can have their jelly for breakfast![V]
[/quote]

Even my 15 year old son likes to go to a buffet style breakfast so he can have ice-cream.:D

luckylady
31-07-2005, 18:34
Nevermind your 15 yearold son Sarah my xxxxyear old husband as eaten ice cream for breakfast
At the buffet style restaurants

stabard
31-07-2005, 19:54
We mainly eat at the villa while the kids are in the pool but once a week we go to Golden Corral for the buffet (especially the omlettes - YUMMY [ihop]

Ray&Sarah
01-08-2005, 00:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady
Nevermind your 15 yearold son Sarah my xxxxyear old husband as eaten ice cream for breakfast
At the buffet style restaurants
[/quote]

Just goes to show Barbara that they never trully grow up!!![msnwink]:D

tigger66
05-10-2005, 21:07
i love dennys:D[8)][msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
05-10-2005, 21:37
Bought some banana smoothie mix from Publix last time we were over. Quick and easy and a great way to start the day along with a cinnamona and rasin English muffin[msntongue]......roll on 5th Nov.

orlandodaze
06-10-2005, 00:52
We tend to breakfast at the villa mostly because we are too lazy to go out unless we are doing the parks or travelling to the beach , and then we go to ihop or dennys generally eat too much and moan and groan for the next few hours . Of course there is the annual birthdays/anniversary trip to the Peabody for their marvellous Sunday Brunch.

tony2000
29-08-2010, 12:29
Our first morning we go to Denny`s then its breakfast at the villa for the rest of the holiday.
Tracy

kitch50
29-08-2010, 13:11
We eat some mornings at the villa but my husband Gary loves the Waffle House on 27 for breakfast so we tend to go there if we are eating brekkie out as it is on the way to I4, in fact when we were in FL last time we had breakfast in there so many times they gave him a mug !! The other choice would be the Golden Corral for the buffet.

caroline
29-08-2010, 15:31
If we're visiting with all the family then most mornings it will be breakfast at the villa to allow for everybody rising at different times and wanting different things, although we do always try and have a couple of trips to Bob Evans as we all love their French toast.
If it's just Dave and myself then we tend to get up and out early to visit the delights of Home Depot, Lowes etc so often grab something at the Starbucks drive through, they do a lovely banana and walnut cake and also a hot muffin with bacon or turkey and that's really good too, not as greasy as McD's version.

Lyn
29-08-2010, 17:16
The 1st visit in 93 we took the kids out for breakfast on our 1st morning and they would eat nothing, the waitress tryed to tempt them with pancakes but they hated those as well. We now always eat breakfast in the villa, even when theres only the two of us, we like a slow leisurely start a cup of tea by the pool, then cook breakfast, then shower and dress for whatever the day holds, perfect[msnsmile2]

jeansusrentals
29-08-2010, 22:49
Coffee at the pool - till I waken up properly - check my e-mails while Graham makes some breakfast - - alternatively - have a [bad language filtered out] mary and then have brunch later:) If we are going shopping - sometimes go to IHOP and have brunch there - only 7 days - and I may visit them for one of their omelettes! [msncool] Jean