PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy for beginners- channel 4 programme

chunkichik
20-01-2005, 03:53
Don't know if anyone has seen the advert for this, but next monday night they will start a four part series, actually disecting a human body and showing you how everything works!!!!

Its being carried out by the same guy that did the post-mortem a year or so back.

Personally, not being in the slightest bit squeamish, I will find this fascinating, just wondered if anyone else would be brave enough to watch it?

Anita

Nostromo
20-01-2005, 11:03
It is not a question of bravery, but one cannot really show "how everything works" by dissecting a cadaver. We did our dissection in the first 18 months of Medical School to learn basic anatomy and I doubt if it can be effectively shown in 4 hours. But if you're really interested in the workings of the human body, I suggest you get the DVD "The Human Body" made by BBC a few years ago.

SG
20-01-2005, 11:20
Thanks for posting this Anita. I had no idea it was on but will look out for it now. Like you this sort of thing fascinates me.

LiesaAnna
20-01-2005, 11:30
yes this sort of thing fascinates me to! but sometimes it plays on my mind! i watch PM's to, and then wished i hadnt!
think as much as i want to watch might have to give it a miss, i start thinking of it ALL the time![xx(]

chunkichik
20-01-2005, 20:11
I must be a strange sort of person, nothing like that has ever bothered me, I have never been scared by a particularly scary film or anything like that.

It probably goes back to my childhood, my Dad says that when I was about 3 I came downstairs one night and Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell was on, he was trying to stand in front of the TV so I couldn't see them cutting the top of his head off and apparantally, I was telling him to get out of the way so I could see the blood!!!! (i hear sirens!!!, damn who called the men in white coats?)[msnwink]

amy
20-01-2005, 21:50
Thankfully no one has invented smell-a-vision yet, as the smell is by far the worst part of any PM.

LiesaAnna
21-01-2005, 00:11
yeh alright to much info!!!

Chloe
21-01-2005, 01:30
I can see that this sort of thing is interesting - it is to me too. But.... the idea of it makes me feel a bit uneasy somehow. It does not seem quite right to show on television the taking apart of a body that was once a person,who was once someones loved one, who lived,breathed and felt things. Sentiments are a very personal trait, and we all differ. No doubt it will get a mixed bag of reviews the day after, which in TV is probably the name of the game.
Chloe

Jill
21-01-2005, 02:14
Our 18 year old will definitely be watching it as he is hoping to read medicine after finishing school in July.

LiesaAnna
21-01-2005, 16:34
i will have cushion handy! will try to watch a bit................

chunkichik
22-01-2005, 01:56
Don't be such a wimp woman!!!!!! A friend of mine recently had her bellybutton pierced and wanted me to go in the cubicle with her, the woman doing it said was I going to faint?

FAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, i've had 2 kids for gods sake, oh the youth of today[msnwink]

You'd better be watching, I will be asking questions[msnsmile2]

huckleberry house
22-01-2005, 03:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Chloe
I can see that this sort of thing is interesting - it is to me too. But.... the idea of it makes me feel a bit uneasy somehow. It does not seem quite right to show on television the taking apart of a body that was once a person,who was once someones loved one, who lived,breathed and felt things. Sentiments are a very personal trait, and we all differ. No doubt it will get a mixed bag of reviews the day after, which in TV is probably the name of the game.
Chloe
[/quote]

Totally agree with you Chloe, I am not in the slightest bit squeamish but the morals of dissecting someones loved one for the sake of TV leaves me cold and I wouldnt be able to watch without imagining the " real " person this used to be. Sorry but it just isnt for me at all.

Lesley

Robday
22-01-2005, 15:38
Did anyone go and see the 'Body World' at Brick Lane a couple of years ago?

Dr Gunther von Hagens who is in this series, is the inventor of the Plastination technic used at that exhibit currentley at the california science centre....

http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/MainPage.php

Now this is one strange, but fasinatinating guy.

I for one will be watching.

SG
22-01-2005, 19:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robday
Did anyone go and see the 'Body World' at Brick Lane a couple of years ago?

Dr Gunther von Hagens who is in this series, is the inventor of the Plastination technic used at that exhibit currentley at the california science centre....

http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/MainPage.php

Now this is one strange, but fasinatinating guy.

I for one will be watching.

[/quote]

I did Rob and was absolutely fascinated. Steve wouldn't even come inside the door and went off to do something else!