PDA

View Full Version : Relocating to Orlando

diamond_mp
12-01-2003, 22:28
I'm relocating to Orlando in Feb/March from Silicon Valley, CA. I want to rent a small townhouse (for one person), fully furnished, full kitchen. Any recommendations?
Rental would be for approx a month.

Also, what is the job market like in Orlando?
I'd be initially looking for admin/clerical/secretarial work to get by in the beginning. (After I'm settled, I'd look for a job in my own profession - marketing/PR.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

esprit
12-01-2003, 23:13
We are mostly English on here and our homes are short term vacation homes which are larger than you require!! Orlando seems very busy but very few of us have any first hand experience of the job market. I would say your best bet would be a realtor who rents out condos, appartments etc long term. I have just come back from Orlando and have some leaflets on realty so can provide tel nos by pm. Let me know if interested.

steph_goodrum
12-01-2003, 23:32
You can view the local paper online at www.orlandosentinel.com which may give you some idea of local job and housing opportunities.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
13-01-2003, 02:48
Diamond-mp

I would echo Babblin Boo's advice as there is a special relocation section on www.orlandosentinel.com

Sarah

diamond_mp
14-01-2003, 17:59
Thank you Sarah, Steph and Esprit. I very much appreciate your responses. This is a very helpful website which I've browsed through recently. I'm amazed at how helpful people are here - genuinely kind!
I will take up the idea of emailing realtors for their advice, and looking at the Orlando Sentinel.

I am British also. Are there lots of Brits living in the Orlando area? Does anyone know? Is there a support group/club for those Brits that relocate to Orlando area?
Many thanks in advance.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-01-2003, 02:49
I understand that there is a British run pub called The Stage Door located at the western end of the 192 near the junction with the 27 where a lot of ex-pats go for a natter etc. I have never been there personally but others on this site may have further info.

Sarah

esprit
16-01-2003, 03:18
Yes there are lots of Brits in Orlando!!!! Someone told me there are 600,000 Brits in Florida. Can that be right???? Many of them run their own businesses bought out there to secure a visa, a lot in the vacation industry either directly or indirectly. There is a newpaper called the Union Jack for sale out there which is just for British ex pats in which there are social events and helpful information for Brits in Florida as well as news about what is happening "back home". You can have a look at it on line too.
As well as the Stage Door, there are other British meeting places such as the Cricketers Arms in the Mercado on International Drive. Most appear to be pubs ( dare I say more!!)

donnapit
18-01-2003, 20:31
Juli, do you happen to know the web address for the Union Jack that you mentioned? I've tried several web addresses, but getting all sorts of strange sites!

Thanks

Donna

blott
18-01-2003, 21:22
Hi Donna

It's http://www.ujnews.com/html/Patricias.html so not surprising you didn't find it! ;)