PDA

View Full Version : travel agents

poohbear
19-01-2005, 02:06
do you not think that when booking a holiday to the states that travel agents shoud tell you that if you have had convictions/been arrested you will need a visa? a friend of mine has booked a hoiday for september and she was covicted of something when younger..i have tried telling her she needs a visa but same old story she doesnt believe me because the 'travel agent ' didnt say anything...

steph_goodrum
19-01-2005, 02:27
The travel agent cannot be held responsible for everything. Most will give a leaflet telling details of visa requirements or eligiblity to travel under visa waiver and then it is up to the person to make sure of their facts.
My husband may be going to Canada later this year but we wont book anything until we know what , if any the visa requirements are and that they are met before any money changes hands.
It isn't unreasonable for the travel agent to assume that the person booking has checked before they go in to book and would possibly upset someone if in the midle of a busy office said "do you have any convictions " and they had to answer yes.

poohbear
19-01-2005, 10:43
my friend booked her holiday over the telephone, and the comment about a travel agents asking have you any convictions is a bit over the top. you do not have to ask a question like that but just point out the facts, dont you think? they earn enough money out of people.

Nostromo
19-01-2005, 10:59
I agree with Boo's comments. Travel Agents have something of a Devil's Alternative here. They are obliged to give all the necessary info to their customers and yet it is very awkward for them to ask a respectable looking person whether he/she has had any conviction in front of other people, including one's own family. For example, Jane Bloggs may not have told her husband about a minor conviction as a dizzy teenager. These new regulations are not easy to handle for anybody.

poohbear
19-01-2005, 12:22
but i think i would be more embarassed at the airport of my destination being told no you cannot have your holiday go home.
so who do you think responsibility lies with?
if the only people you speak to when booking a holiday is your travel agent!!!

steph_goodrum
19-01-2005, 12:37
"so who do you think responsibility lies with?
if the only people you speak to when booking a holiday is your travel agent"

I would have to say the person who is travelling. If they are intelligent enough to be able to understand the booking procedures then they should be able to find out the visa requirements.
Just lately you would really struggle to find everyone who doesn't think that everybody needs a visa due to all the publicity. I have had several of my future guests phone to ask, even though I am only renting the villa to them and have made it clear in my terms that it the the guests responsibility to check their eligibility to travel.
Most often the answer is no but if there is any doubt then we refer the guests to the US immigration website to check for themselves.
I know it is sometimes the questions we DONT know to ask that are the most important but still personally think there is enough publicity to make people aware that with the security regulations then it is always best to check.

poohbear
19-01-2005, 13:07
yes you are right, i know what is expected of me ,i have been to florida 5 times now so i do know .
but my friend is a bit brainless,(and wont listen to me)[msncry] and i feel sorry for her that she will probably be turned back at orlando airport, with a massive loss financially.still as you put it it is down to her!!

steph_goodrum
19-01-2005, 13:23
It's still frustrating though Poohbear isn't it? Some times people will only believe what they want to and it doesn't matter how much you try and tell them, even if you show it down in black and white, they won't listen (and chances are if she does get refuse entry will say why didnt you tell me?

Nostromo
19-01-2005, 13:45
Moreover, it is the passengers responsibility to read and understand the documents made availble to him/her and not the travel agent's or anyone else's. If someone is intelligent enough to go and manage on a holiday in a strange country, that someone should be able to understand the regulations for doing so. I expect my Travel Agent to come up with the goods he/she promised, like correct flight, car or hotel bookings, but not to teach me how to follow rules put down in black & white.

poohbear
19-01-2005, 15:44
yes steph you are probably right i will be asked why did you not tell me.
but as for me i didnt even use a travel agent to book my holiday this time. i did it all myself.
booked my villa , car and theme park tickets via this site.[clap][clap] and flights on line with virgin atlantic. and saved money too.

steph_goodrum
19-01-2005, 16:05
And those extra dollars are always useful in Walmart aren't they Poohbear?

bluebirds
19-01-2005, 22:54
A work colleague tried to book her Orlando Holiday at the weekend. Her partner is South African and was told he would need a visa. Because they were not sure what to do the travel agent advised them not to book until he had clearance. I am supposed to be surfing the US Embassy website after this for her.

Cheshirecat
20-01-2005, 01:13
I work for a travel company (not a tour op) and we are obliged to tell customer it is their own responsbility to check their own passport/health/visa requirements.

Particularly for the US, immigration can be a minefield.

If we were to give out that advice, first we would have to check if they are British passport holders (or one of the other countries in the VWP), then ask about being arrested or convicted (which I think some people would take offence to), plus I think another criteria is about communicable diseases etc. Not something I want to get involved in.

I frequently get people asking me if they need a visa. I always direct them to the US Embassy and make it clear they need to check with them direct, I will also add notes to their booking saying that too. I don't want anybody coming back to our company in a few months and I get severly reprimanded for giving imcorrect advice on something so crucial.

I think it is also mentioned on a customers conf/itin and on our t's and c's.

Robert5988
20-01-2005, 12:20
Whilst I agree with most of the points made here, it should not be forgotten that many travellers to the USA do not have access to the internet.

A printout of the web page which contains all the salient points of the Visa Waiver scheme could easily be handed to customers; with a note telling them to contact the US embassy if they have any questions.

MaggieAllan
20-01-2005, 12:28
The last two times we have been, we have received a letter with the confirmation invoice which highlights the need to check things out, and that it is our responsiblity. This has given us ample time to sort any issues out.