PDA

View Full Version : Heart by pass

Dorothy
17-01-2005, 23:03
Good evening to you all. You might remember me asking for advice about my husband's heart by pass last October,I was able to pick up lots of information, a big thank you to you all.
I have wanted to ask another question but have not, as I was waiting to see if US Airways were actually going to fly us to Florida. Their site says that there will be further talks in June so it looks OK for Easter.I feel I can actually talk about going now!!
So the question is.. is there anyone out there who has had a bypass and been on the roller coasters?
When we went for my husband's check up the consultant was very vague and said try the small ones and see how you go. We went to a heart support meeting recently and there was no one there who had been to Florida. Any input would be great Keep up the good work[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
Dorothy

Nostromo
17-01-2005, 23:32
Dorothy, this is not an easy question to answer. There are lots of variables, like his general condition otherwise, whether he already had an infarct (heart attack) beforehand, his post-op recovery, associated problems and the medications that he is on. If you can give some info on this, I'll try to give an answer.

Dorothy
18-01-2005, 00:40
Thank you Nostromo
John did not have a heart attack, he had a chest infection that did not get better or respond to anti biotics. The infection appeared to leave him breathless. It was the lack of being able to get his breath that made our GP send him to hospital. It was suggested that he had caught a virus that had attacked his heart.After being being given drugs as though he had had an attack he improved. Two months later he had an angiogram which indentified that he needed a bypass.He had his by pass last June. He is now on Atenolo 25mg, Amias 8mg, Asprin 75mg one each day and Simvastatin 40 mg each night. He has returned to work he is a joiner
Dorothy

Nostromo
18-01-2005, 03:45
Thanks for the info. As long as he has remained clinically stable, I cannot see any problem in him doing any ride in Orlando, including The Slingshot if he wishes! But it is very imporatnt that he takes his medication without fail, especially the Atenolol, which is a Betablocker and should not be suddenly stopped without medical supervision. I expect he is a non-smoker and is following the dietary advice given.

blue nose
22-01-2005, 00:47
hello,i have just read your post with interest,my dad would love to visit florida with my family, but unfortunately we have found getting affordable travel medical isurance very difficult,as he has had heart problems.could anyone help on this matter.[msnsmile]

Nostromo
22-01-2005, 01:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blue nose
hello,i have just read your post with interest,my dad would love to visit florida with my family, but unfortunately we have found getting affordable travel medical isurance very difficult,as he has had heart problems.could anyone help on this matter.[msnsmile]
[/quote]

I'll try to help, but can you please elaborate on his 'heart problems' including treatment received and current medication?

blue nose
22-01-2005, 01:35
hi,my dad has a history of heart problems but has been dicharged from hospital.an example of a medical inurance quote was for £850 for two weeks in orlando.

blott
22-01-2005, 01:39
Try here first http://www.flightsflorida.com/Insurance.aspx

If he's not accepted for that, try http://www.kingfisherinsurance.com who I know cover people with quite severe heart problems and usually, if his GP says he's fit to travel and certifies to that, you should be OK. You'll have to ring them up (the phone number is on the website) though as you need to explain his medical condition to see if they will cover him. It'll cost a lot less than £850 for two weeks!

Nostromo
22-01-2005, 01:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blue nose
hi,my dad has a history of heart problems but has been dicharged from hospital.an example of a medical inurance quote was for £850 for two weeks in orlando.
[/quote]

Yes, but it all depends on the actual 'problems' as I asked earlier. If someone actually had one or more heart attacks, the premium goes up significantly; likewise, someone in heart failure might find it hard to get good travel insurance. Most companies charge extra for more than 3 prescription medications; I know that some companies separately penalise drugs like Warfarin because of the bleeding risk. It all depends, as I said, on the individual's clinical picture and current treatment.

blue nose
22-01-2005, 01:59
thanks for the advice i will have to look into this a bit more.

blott
22-01-2005, 02:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
Yes, but it all depends on the actual 'problems' as I asked earlier. If someone actually had one or more heart attacks, the premium goes up significantly; likewise, someone in heart failure might find it hard to get good travel insurance. Most companies charge extra for more than 3 prescription medications; I know that some companies separately penalise drugs like Warfarin because of the bleeding risk. It all depends, as I said, on the individual's clinical picture and current treatment.[/quote]I understand what you're saying but I recommended the second company because I have experience of someone who had had two MIs, was on Warfarin and Digoxin and didn't have to pay any additional premium nor was their existing condition excluded from cover. The company is just more amenable than some with pre-existing medical conditions and their premiums aren't loaded or even expensive.

fiona
22-01-2005, 04:17
Blottie do you know if they cover other illnesses? I have tried a couple of insurance companies - including our existing one - and they will cover me - excluding anything related to the breast cancer. So fine if we are in a car crash or anything, but if I get an infection due to the chemo (which is happening rather regularly at the moment) won't be covered. Breast care nurse has told me to get course of antibiotics from my GP just in case, but full coverage would be better.

Having looked at their website looks as if anyone with existing condition has to ring and discuss it with them, so will try tomorrow and see what they say.

blott
22-01-2005, 04:29
Well, they've covered me also and I'm a walking illness! ;) They have a medical department that you need to speak to who are pretty helpful and the worst they can say is no but it's always worth a try.

blue nose
22-01-2005, 16:26
hello blott,are there premiums very expensive.

blott
22-01-2005, 17:05
The prices, policy wording, etc are all on their website http://www.kingfisherinsurance.com for both single trip and annual worldwide policies (which are more cost effective if you go away more than once a year).

Dorothy
25-01-2005, 00:25
The company we insured with were really concerned to find out if my husband had suffered with angina or had had a heart attack, he hadn't had either. They wanted a list of his medication he was on, when he had the bypass and what the surgeon had said.... He had said to go on holiday... insurance companys would look at him as OK now.
Thank you for all the advice.... we are counting the days now
Dorothy