PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite supermarket

Cruella DeVilla
17-01-2005, 20:21
I think I know the answer but curious anyway

Cruella DeVilla
17-01-2005, 20:22
For me it has to be Sprawl-Mart. Everything you need is practically under one roof![clap]

Nostromo
17-01-2005, 20:40
OK, I've also voted WalMart, but this is a slightly unfair answer. If I was buying only food and basic home needs (like foil, loo paper etc), I'd go to Winn-Dixie (which we prefer to Publix). But I agree that WM is incomparable for 'general' shopping.

Ray&Sarah
17-01-2005, 21:01
I voted Publix as I assumed you were talking about food shopping.[:I][msnsmile2]

Like Walmart for everything else though.[msnsmile2]

blott
17-01-2005, 21:04
Ditto Ray & Sarah! :) Target's also good for non-food items (even though they sell food!).

christhear
17-01-2005, 21:16
I'm with Ray and Sarah, assumed you mean general food shopping not all the extras

LiesaAnna
17-01-2005, 22:17
walmart!!! i love it!!

emm
17-01-2005, 22:24
Publix for food shopping.

KJH
18-01-2005, 01:52
ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL GET ExCITED IN THEM ALL INCLUDING COSTCO, SAMS, TARGET. 13 days ....and i'll roll down the aisles, (well I will if this weight doesn't shift in time)

Kaz

julieanne
18-01-2005, 12:34
Publix or Albertson's for food.

Think I prefer Target to Walmart -but they are all GOOD
;)

Phil and Mel
18-01-2005, 12:55
I had to vote Publix, because when we werre in Florida, we didn't manage to get to a Wal-Mart!!!

Nostromo
18-01-2005, 13:13
I was told by many people that Publix was more like a british supermarket that Winn-Dixie for food shopping. But I have to confess that I found the opposite to be the case. We are dedicated Sainsbury's fans over here and it seemed to me that the Winn-Dixie on US27 (Woodridge) was very much like what we were used to. I found the Publix on US192 slightly disorientating to navigate a trolley around. Maybe just me.[msnembarrased]

MaggieAllan
18-01-2005, 13:20
I'll use any...whichever is the nearest...they are all good enough for what bits we need, even Walgreens. Not big on food shopping on holiday.

amy
18-01-2005, 14:47
Its publix for food for us, can't beat their Key Lime Pie.

Cruella DeVilla
18-01-2005, 15:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by amy
Its publix for food for us, can't beat their Key Lime Pie.
[/quote]

MMMMMMMMMMM. Me to![:P]

blott
18-01-2005, 16:28
Its publix for food for us, can't beat their Key Lime Pie.[/quote]Gotta be eaten out on the pool deck still frozen though! Mmmm...

Cruella DeVilla
18-01-2005, 16:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Its publix for food for us, can't beat their Key Lime Pie.[/quote]Gotta be eaten out on the pool deck still frozen though! Mmmm...
[/quote]

[:P][:P]
OH Stop it Blott you will have me drooling!

chunkichik
18-01-2005, 17:26
I have voted Walmart I love it too!!! I have only used Publix once! never been to the others, I will make it one of the things to do in Nov.

chrizzy100
18-01-2005, 18:05
I can't food shop at walmart......I can never find anything......so it takes me ages.......and I hate food shopping in the USA.....it costs to much.....and its boring........[msnsad]

blott
18-01-2005, 18:20
It costs too much, surely you're joking?

Our supermarket bill for two of us for a week here in the UK costs about £60 but the max we spent was $80 in Florida (and that included bits and pieces for the house!).

chrizzy100
18-01-2005, 18:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
It costs too much, surely you're joking?

Our supermarket bill for two of us for a week here in the UK costs about £60 but the max we spent was $80 in Florida (and that included bits and pieces for the house!).
[/quote]

If I had to feed my whole family in the USA....my kids work...so they eat out a lot......we would have to spend well over $200 a week maybe more.....for 2 of us its around $100 for the normal everyday stuff...and $60 or more for real food.....I find things cheaper in FL....but when I first moved to the USA I had to double my food bill...

chunkichik
18-01-2005, 19:32
I must admit, I don't really like American food at all, at least not in the supermarkets!! I should move there and then I would lose weight all the time!!

The bread isn't the same, the cakes all taste too processed and don't even get me started on the chocolate yuck!!!!

I will admit to eating chocolate everyday but the only thing I like over there are Milkyways(same as our Mars Bars) I did find some cadburys in the Sherlock Holmes shop in Celebration but very pricey (still bought some though[msnwink])

I also find that I will go shopping the first full day we are there and then hardly cook any of it. We always leave any frozen food in the freezer for the maid or whatever, do they get to keep it, or do they just chuck it I wonder?

KJH
18-01-2005, 20:27
I must be doing something wrong, my weekly food bill is about £180+ for 5 [V]

The quick shop in Walmart for a day or two is about $85, and we eat out nearly every night.

domster
18-01-2005, 22:28
Wall Mart for Dom and Mel

E. Cosgrove
18-01-2005, 23:48
Where is Albertson's in Orlando I don't think I've ever seen them. They are quite big in the South West US and we always shop there!
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne

;)
[/quote]

Cruella DeVilla
19-01-2005, 00:22
Our weekly food bill is around 100 squid and there is only two of us...still we love food!!!!

Nostromo
19-01-2005, 00:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Our weekly food bill is around 100 squid and there is only two of us...still we love food!!!!
[/quote]

What do you have, champagne and caviar every day?[msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
19-01-2005, 14:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
[/quote]

What do you have, champagne and caviar every day?[msnwink]
[/quote]

Only once a week;)

caroline
19-01-2005, 14:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
Where is Albertson's in Orlando I don't think I've ever seen them. They are quite big in the South West US and we always shop there!
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne

;)
[/quote]
[/quote]

We went to an Albertsons on John Young Parkway but I've also seen one on the OBT

luckylady
19-01-2005, 15:11
i have just arrived home after being in Orlando for 4 weeks
I love florida
but the bread as you said is naff it's so sweet and as no body if you know what a mean
I am ashamed to admit this but only baked a pizza in the whole time we were there
Its so cheap to eat out I dont rate their sausages though although I like the bacon
I must have enjoyed the food or why am I 10 pounds heavier now than before I went
I think there is alot of hidden sugar in the food
Well I have to blame something
Found some great restaurants we try different ones every time we go
My favourite new ones at the moment Sweet Tomatoes, Olive Garden.Bahama Breeze
plus old favourites IHOP, Cracker Barrel Outback Red Lobster and Golden Corral
Then I wonder why I weigh 10 pounds more who am I kidding
Barbara

Cruella DeVilla
19-01-2005, 15:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady

I love florida
but the bread as you said is naff it's so sweet and as no body if you know what a mean
I am ashamed to admit this but only baked a pizza in the whole time we were there
Its so cheap to eat out I dont rate their sausages though although I like the bacon
I must have enjoyed the food or why am I 10 pounds heavier now than before I went
Barbara

[/quote]
Girl after my own heart, eating your way round the place:D

julieanne
19-01-2005, 15:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady

I love florida
Barbara

[/quote]
Barbara - perhaps you should read the diets thread [msnwink] [msnwink][msnwink]

I said in there that I blame trips to the States for increasing my appetite and making me gain weight [msntongue]
Don't you just LOVE all the eating places there [msntongue]

Ray&Sarah
19-01-2005, 21:29
Mmm Keylime pie from Publix, my son will eat it for breakfast if we let him. Bought his Nan a Key-Lime pie cook book back with us from Florida and she is busily making her way through all the different recipes, much to our sons delight.[msnsmile2]

wrpac00
20-01-2005, 01:48
Publix for food no question, Walmart for everything else no question.

calumhibee1
08-02-2005, 00:08
Wal-Mart

Ruth
08-02-2005, 00:16
Publix for us. Their bread is the best around and they also sell decent cheese:)

Ruth
08-02-2005, 00:19
OMG I manage to feed our family of 5 for quite a bit less than that a week:)Thanks goodness for school dinners as we have to economise somehow to pay for all these holidays in Florida;)

[/quote]

08-02-2005, 00:43
My food bill is around £200 a week in the UK! They do say healthy foods cost more and we don't eat any rubbish [msnwink]

blott
08-02-2005, 02:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
My food bill is around £200 a week in the UK! They do say healthy foods cost more and we don't eat any rubbish [msnwink][/quote]For seven of you, that's about £28 per week each, just less than we spend each week for two. :)

If everyone's out all day, like Ruth's family, then she's only doing breakfast and supper for five days a week. Our bill would be less if we weren't in every day for lunch.

Fran19
10-03-2005, 13:01
I voted Wal Mart because they have a good choice of every item you want to buy. I didn't realise that Albertsons were in Florida, only been in them in California. We will definitely be going to them if in Florida as we think their food is better quality but they don't have all the other things Wal Mart have, do they?

Must admit I was surprised at the response that food was expensive in US. We find our bills for both food shopping and eating out drastically lower than our bills here and we usually have 6 or 8 of us over there.I hate to imagine how much we would spend eating out for two weeks over here if there were 8 of us! - Would never be able to afford to go to Florida!!!! [msncry]

ringwood1
16-03-2005, 01:38
Wal-Mart is our favourite and the one we visit at least 5 times per holiday (and we spend hours inside). Love it.

CarolAnn
16-03-2005, 15:22
When we used to have to find Halloween costumes for our daughter ( we always went for halloween when she was younger) we often found ourselves in Target, Publix for food, and for everything else there is Walmart:D I have to say, if I went to Florida and didn't get a Walmart fix I might just[msncry]