PDA

View Full Version : American Express 'Cheques for two'

Biggus
10-01-2003, 02:12
Dear all,

Firstly thank you to those people that took the time and effort to reply to my last info request re: attraction tickets.

Not ANOTHER question I hear you cry!! Sorry here comes another one for you to help me with.

Has anyone here used the Amex 'cheques for two' and are they available at every Amex travellers cheque dealer? I ask because they would be very convenient for my wife and I, and a work colleague suggested them today but his wife had sorted them all out (he's now off for a fortnight!!) and didn't know where she got them from!! I looked on the Amex website but they had no listing for locations that I could get them from, and their own online ordering service was knackered.
Has anyone encountered these and if so where did they get them from.
Thanking you in advance,

Biggus

blott
10-01-2003, 07:04
Hi Biggus

Yes, we have used these in the past and still do. Two people sign the cheques on receipt and then either can use them independently of the other person.

You can only buy them from American Express travel services offices (not other places which sell Am Ex travellers' cheques). These tend to be in large towns/cities like London, Manchester, etc. We got ours in Manchester at 10-12 St Mary's Gate M1 1PX tel 0161 833 7303. Their UK refund line is 0800 571313 so you could try ringing either the Manchester number or the free number to ask where you can purchase them near you.

janny
10-01-2003, 11:11
We have an American Express service office here in Andover -a small town -so you may have one near to where you are.

Biggus
10-01-2003, 16:59
Thank you peoples
I have looked again on the Amex website searching using the 'Service Office' term and the closest I have is in Milton Keynes - I live in Bedford so 20 miles away, but we visit MK occasionally so will do it when we go next.

Do you know if they charge a fee etc. for exchange - I would be buying $ checks.

Cheers,

Biggus

Biggus
10-01-2003, 17:35
Actually I've had a thought :D;):D

Given that you can only get these 'cheques for two' from Amex Travel Service Offices, for those of you that might want to find out where these offices are I have posted the link below, they do seem to be all over the UK.

http://travel.americanexpress.com/travel/personal/resources/tso/

Biggus

blott
10-01-2003, 19:01
No, you never pay a fee to exchange US$ cheques. You can use them in shops, restaurants, etc just like cash and get change with no exchange fees. The only time you pay for the cheques is when you order/collect them.

Just one tip... don't get loads of $100 cheques as small shops, etc don't usually have enough in their tills to change them. Best ones are $20s with the occasional $50s for larger shops/purchases.