PDA

View Full Version : Hairdryers and straighteners

MichelleD
17-01-2005, 01:03
This is our first time to Florida, we have three teenage daughters who all want to bring hairdryers and cannot live without their straighteners!! We would appreciate any advice about travel adaptors and appliances from the UK. [msnsmile]

Ray&Sarah
17-01-2005, 01:07
Although you can use the adaptors, hairdryers are not too bad although a bit reduced in speed and heat.

Our son's girlfriend took her straigteners and even after being plugged in for an hour were not even really warm.[msnsmile2]

caroline
17-01-2005, 01:09
Hi Michelle
If you're staying in a villa check with the owner as most of supply at least 1 hairdryer per bathroom. With regards straighteners they will work with a simple UK - US plug adaptor but not at full heat - when I took mine they were totally useless. I ended up buying some US straighteners last time I was over which are brilliant but they were about $120 (from memory)

LiesaAnna
17-01-2005, 01:10
most of the villas have hairdryers, and wouldnt it be better to buy some cheapies over there, then they will have them for future USA hols

KJH
17-01-2005, 01:46
We have hairdryers in our villa but no straightners. We are going over at the end of the month and with two teenage daughters will buy some to leave there.

We tried taking hairdryers and straightners from UK but they were useless.

If you are staying in a hotel, Walmart, Target etc do some really cheap models that work really well. It would be worth it in the long run

Kaz

bellaepovera
17-01-2005, 01:57
The curling irons are very cheap in the states but the straighteners not sure if worth buying as they are a bit expensive..
If you are going in the spring and summer not worth even using those as the humidity will curl them right back up!!

17-01-2005, 10:29
I have GHD straightners which heat up in 8 seconds in the UK and they take about 30 seconds in the USA just using the normal adaptor, hairdryers are so cheap if you don't like the one provided at the villa just buy a cheap one from Wal-mart they have a large selection[msnsmile]

sheenallan
17-01-2005, 10:42
Hi Michelle,
we provide hairdyers in both bathrooms plus a spare ,curling brush and did supply hairclippers until some kind person walked away with them,our dughter bought some straightners from walmart about $20 and they worked fine better than waiting for hers from U/K to heat up

hurricanesarah
17-01-2005, 12:31
It is really better to use the American ones. I bought my daughter a Mary Kate & Ashley hair straightener from Walmart for less than $15 and it works really well! I was nicking it from her all the time. As for hair dryers it's really not worth taking one from England, the power is so bad. You can get UK to US adapters from Boots really cheaply but to my mind its better to get the stuff in America and just take it every trip.

Sally D
17-01-2005, 12:40
My daughters took straightners with them but as you say they are useless. Think I might have to get them the cheap ones in Walmart next time. Then again with 3 daughters and a niece will we ever get out in the mornings.

daisy
17-01-2005, 12:56
regarding straigtners lal i have ghd ones carnt live without them ! mine have not got the range of voltage to work in the usa or so i was told by other half but if yours work out there i can take mine yippeeee that has made my day :D

E. Cosgrove
17-01-2005, 14:13
Noted the price of ceramic hair straighteners when we were over there , they are abut half the price you would pay in the UK, so may well be worth investing in if you are a regular traveller to the US:)

jaynekent
17-01-2005, 14:28
Gee thanks everyone, I have hair that just loves to curl and use straightners at home, guess im going to have an interesting hairstyle for 2 weeks!!!!!:D

Andrena
17-01-2005, 14:55
If it is your own villa you can always buy straighteners and leave them in your owner's closet for using each time you come out.
We supply hairdryers in each bathroon but not straighteners but my daughter bought some there and leaves them locked away.

Andrena

steph_goodrum
17-01-2005, 15:13
I bet you'll find that the girls get there though and are so busy at the parks/water parks, pool etc that they will find it too much of a hassle anyway to worry about straightening their hair.
Our daughter always goes with good intentions of what is going to happen but when we get there she finds that relaxation time is so vital between all thats going on that "hairdressing" generally consists of a swim in the pool, followed by a shampoo/shower at the poolside shower head and collapsing on a sunlounger with a book to let the sun dry her hair (and it's very quick in the heat) whilst she applies her creams (she gets excema quite severely.
Everything is quite casual in Florida and unless you are going to a really fancy dress up place for dinner most people tend to go as they are anyway after the parks etc.

Sally D
17-01-2005, 17:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
I have GHD straightners which heat up in 8 seconds in the UK and they take about 30 seconds in the USA just using the normal adaptor, hairdryers are so cheap if you don't like the one provided at the villa just buy a cheap one from Wal-mart they have a large selection[msnsmile]
[/quote]

My girls have GHD's but they didn't heat up.[msnsad]

17-01-2005, 17:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by daisy
regarding straigtners lal i have ghd ones carnt live without them ! mine have not got the range of voltage to work in the usa or so i was told by other half but if yours work out there i can take mine yippeeee that has made my day :D
[/quote]

Yep they deffinitly work as I can't live without them! Used them every day for almost 4 weeks last August they just take a bit longer to heat up but once they have they work as normal!!![msnsmile2]

17-01-2005, 17:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sally D
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
[/quote]

My girls have GHD's but they didn't heat up.[msnsad]
[/quote]

How strange? Did the power light come on?

caroline
17-01-2005, 19:31
My GHD's were useless in the states, they just didn't get hot enough to straighten my hair:(
I tried buying a cheapie set from Walmart but they were ceramic coated and not pure ceramic plates so again were useless.
Which is why last time I invested in some from Trade Secrets in the Florida Mall, can't remember the make but they look just like GHD's and more importantly work just like them :D

So I can now say goodbye to 'Florida Hair' [clap]

fiona
17-01-2005, 20:28
I have 2 teenage daughters and I would reiterate their UK GHDs are not as effective as back home. I have a feeling YD had tracked down a supplier and they are thinking of buying some and leaving them in our villa (I can see this being a very good USP!!), so will check with them and post later on. ED has just confirmed that her GHDs are too powerful and do not work over there, but ordinary straightners work better.

If your teenagers are like mine they are NEVER too busy / frazzled / tired to not straighten their hair before they go out. Despite me telling them in the summer that 5 mins in the humidity it will have all dropped out anyway!!

17-01-2005, 20:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
My GHD's were useless in the states, they just didn't get hot enough to straighten my hair:(
I tried buying a cheapie set from Walmart but they were ceramic coated and not pure ceramic plates so again were useless.
Which is why last time I invested in some from Trade Secrets in the Florida Mall, can't remember the make but they look just like GHD's and more importantly work just like them :D

So I can now say goodbye to 'Florida Hair' [clap]
[/quote]

How strange that mine worked?? They worked in Chicago too??? Spooky[msnwink]

jolliffee
17-01-2005, 21:12
The GHD HAI Stik is travel friendly 110-240 volt and will reach optimum temperature (200 degrees) in less than 10 seconds, my daughter has these maybe thats the ones you have Lucy? They cost her about £75...

17-01-2005, 21:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
The GHD HAI Stik is travel friendly 110-240 volt and will reach optimum temperature (200 degrees) in less than 10 seconds, my daughter has these maybe thats the ones you have Lucy? They cost her about £75...
[/quote]

Mine are the original ones, they say 220-240 volts on them and they cost me £78 2 years ago, my daughter has the same only they are are pink (for breast cancer) and hers work too!

MichelleD
17-01-2005, 22:31
Thanks to everybody who answered, this has been a big help. Looks like we will be buying hairdryers/straighteners when we get there. Don't think they will be too tired to do their hair, knowing my daughters they will not be seen out with frizzy hair!

Michelle

andreah
18-01-2005, 19:51
I also have GDH's in the UK. In our villa I have bought straighteners and the most powerful hairdryers I could find, they aren't a patch on the ones I have at home.

I have really curly hair, so I now spend all of my holiday with curls! It is so refreshing to be able to get in and out of the pool and shower without having to worry about my hair getting wet. I just have to avoid any photos that are being taken!![msnwink]

CarolAnn
18-01-2005, 20:54
I have to confess to being a slave to a hairdryer at home, and in the US too!! When I bought my US hairdryer (Walmart, where else?) it was about £7, a Braun, and it is fantastic! Wouldn't be without it, so I understand the teenager Straightener situation!! The adaptor idea, just didn't work for me at all, and the hairdryer I had taken from the uk was a good one! Definately check if you have one where you are staying first though, could be a life saver!

carolmc
18-01-2005, 21:29
We have a set of curling tongs and straighteners at our home - they were a gift from guests who come back twice a year. I have short, straight - poker straight- hair so wasted on me I'm afraid....but our guests really do appreciate them.:)
A USP??