PDA

View Full Version : Worried about anti-gay prejudice

Martin_MidlandsUK
08-01-2003, 07:15
Hi,

I'm a member of OUTintheUK.com which is a non-commercial social group for gay men of all ages. Any member can organise events, small- or large-scale, for other members. I'm looking to rent a 6- or 7-bedroom executive villa in Orlando for a small group of around 12-14 of our members for one or two weeks in October or November this year.

I'm conscious of the fact that villa owners may be troubled by the idea of renting to an all-male group or may hold prejudices that stop them renting to a gay group.

Does anyone know of any suitable villas whose owners would be happy to rent to us? I've considerable experience of organising previous events ranging from those in upscale hotels to those in youth hostels, but I'm a newbie when it comes to villas.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Martin.

Lakul
08-01-2003, 11:47
Hi Martin

I have rented to all male groups in the past with no problems at all. They have left our home in excellent condition which is what we ask of all our guests.

From a personal point of view everyone's sexuality is their own business. I would be happy to rent to you but our villa is not large enough for your group. Have you considered 2 smaller villas for your holiday?

steph_goodrum
08-01-2003, 12:04
Hi Martin
Since most of us don't get to meet our guests in person we have no idea, and no wish to know of their preferences in any area of life, all we ask is that they treat our homes with respect and take good care of them. I am sure you wouuld find no difficulty with any homeowner at all, it certainly isn't a question any owner I know would ever dream of asking.
It may be of interest to you to know that there is an annual gay week in Orlando, I believe it is in the first week of June each year and the first Saturday of June is held in one of the Disney parks, if you really are worried about meeting any prejudice, this may be an ideal time to travel. I think last year the figure quoted was around 300,000 people attended various events which were arranged. If you want more info, I can see if I can find the source, but I personally feel you will have nothing to worry about whenever you decide to travel and hope will have a wonderful time.
It is the fact of being a single sex group which may concern owners sometimes more as past experience has taught that the parties may get out of hand, or that the home is just not well looked after, so you may find an owner asks for an increased security deposit, or if the party is under 21 (some owners state 25) as these are the groups which have in the past caused problems for people. If you do find this you could offer to allow the mc in mid stay to check on the property if they are concerned, it may seem that we are being paticularly fussy on this but as I'm sure you appreciate our homes are privately owned, not by a large company and are our dreams and often represent our lifetimes savings and are our pride and joy and if a home has been abused we then have to find alternative accommmodation for the guests who must be diplaced whilst repaires are done etc.
Hope you find somewhere suitable and have a great time.

janny
08-01-2003, 12:17
I really don't think there will be any problems you will encounter with owners renting your group their home.As Steph says, as long as our homes are treated with respect and taken care of, then as owners that is all we ask of our guests.I am sure you should not have any problem finding a home to stay in and if you are asked for extra security monies then rest assurd it will be for the reasons stated by Steph and not for any other.

scimoon
08-01-2003, 13:50
Hi Martin, i have no problem hiring out to any group, i only have a 4 bed but if that will help let me know
Karen:)

Martin_MidlandsUK
09-01-2003, 04:17
Thanks for your advice and help. This has given me the encouragement to just go ahead and book.

steph_goodrum
09-01-2003, 14:45
Glad to hear that Martin, hope you all have a great time.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-01-2003, 21:53
Just a reminder to all owners not to advertise availability of your villa for Martin's dates here. If you do have availability by all means email or pm Martin.

Thanks

scimoon
10-01-2003, 23:04
Sorry[:I]

KatesDreamer
08-03-2003, 23:53
We have rented to gay groups of your size without problems.

Rob