PDA

View Full Version : How many 'States' have you visited?

Nostromo
14-01-2005, 14:06
Since a lot of us enjoy tourism in the United States, I thought it would be interesting to know how many of the 50 States people have visited. I just calculated that I have been to 20 states and will add the two Carolinas this summer.

So, excluding mere stops for flight connections and similar, how many US states have you actually visited? (American members can include their home state)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-01-2005, 15:08
Florida
California
Texas
New York
Washington DC
Virginia
West Virginia
Georgia
South Carolina
Illinios
New Jersey

Katys Grandad
14-01-2005, 15:27
Nostromo

I think I've visited 15 - I've been on tours when it isn't always clear whether you are 'visiting' or passing through.

John & Sarah - I'm interested to see you have visited Virginia. We're off there in March for 10 days although I only booked the flights and a first night's stay in Boston so far. Any recommedations or places to avoid?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-01-2005, 15:43
Virginia is our absolute favourite - it's so beautiful.

We went in the Fall and stayed in Williamsburg which is the area the first British settlers to the US landed and set themselves up. The whole place is like going back in time to that period, including the buildings and lots of characters around the area dressed up as if they came from that age - a tip is that they have to act in character from that period e.g. you can ask them what is on TV that evening - they will ask you what a TV is [msnwink].

There is lots to see and do in this area - if we ever moved to the US this is the kind of area I'd move to as it has history, culture and really friendly people [msnsmile2]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad

John & Sarah - I'm interested to see you have visited Virginia. We're off there in March for 10 days although I only booked the flights and a first night's stay in Boston so far. Any recommedations or places to avoid?
[/quote]

Nostromo
14-01-2005, 15:45
My states are Florida, New York, Massachusettes, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Illinois, Indiana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana (only about a 20-mile stretch but stopped for gas and tea), California, Nevada, Arizona, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Michigan and Hawaii. Will add the two Carolinas this year.

Nostromo
14-01-2005, 15:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
Florida
California
Texas
New York
Washington DC
Virginia
West Virginia
Georgia
South Carolina
Illinios
New Jersey
[/quote]

No Nevada or Arizona! John, surely you have been to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-01-2005, 15:51
I'm afraid not. I nearly went to Arizona (well, a change of planes in Phoenix) in 2003 but I turned up a day late for the flights so could not go (I booked for what I thought were the right dates on the net, but in fact booked for the day before I needed [msncry]).

We're off to Los Angeles in a couple of weeks time and may do the Grand Canyon as part of that trip if we get chance.

Las Vegas is somewhere we've always wanted to go but are waiting until the children are a bit older as I think they would get bored with it at the moment as there is not enough to keep them occupied (I'm prepared to be convinced otherwise though [msnwink]).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
Florida
California
Texas
New York
Washington DC
Virginia
West Virginia
Georgia
South Carolina
Illinios
New Jersey
[/quote]

No Nevada or Arizona! John, surely you have been to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon?
[/quote]

Katys Grandad
14-01-2005, 16:04
Thanks for the Virginia advice. Williamsburg looks a 'must see'.

MaggieAllan
14-01-2005, 16:40
Now you're all just showing off now[msnwink]

I've only been to two, Florida and New York so far.......just jealous of the rest of you[msncry][msncry][msncry]

(I've been in plenty 'states' though!)

Nostromo
14-01-2005, 16:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk[/iLas Vegas is somewhere we've always wanted to go but are waiting until the children are a bit older as I think they would get bored with it at the moment as there is not enough to keep them occupied (I'm prepared to be convinced otherwise though [msnwink]).
[/quote]

For the past few years, Las Vegas has been trying to be more and more 'Family Friendly', which I would translate as 'Kid friendly'. I don't know how old your children are John, but if they are 8 years or over, there will be plenty to do. Apart from rides like the NY-NY Rollercoaster, Stratosphere's 'Big Shot', X-Scream etc, there are shows orientated towards kids. MGM Grand is supposed to be particularly friendly to families with its Adventures Entertainment Complex and Youth Activity Center; when we visited a few years ago, there was an excellent teatime Magic Show aimed at the kids. I am sure other resorts would have followed suit by now. Then there are outdoor shows like The Mirage Volcano, Bellagio Fountains, Treasure Island's Pirate Ship and so on. Of course, there is loads of buffets, swimming etc. Worth checking out.

LiesaAnna
14-01-2005, 16:50
Virginia is our absolute favourite - it's so beautiful.

We went in the Fall and stayed in Williamsburg which is the area the first British settlers to the US landed and set themselves up. The whole place is like going back in time to that period, including the buildings and lots of characters around the area dressed up as if they came from that age - a tip is that they have to act in character from that period e.g. you can ask them what is on TV that evening - they will ask you what a TV is [msnwink].

There is lots to see and do in this area - if we ever moved to the US this is the kind of area I'd move to as it has history, culture and really friendly people [msnsmile2]
[/quote]

have only been to florida twice!!!!!
this place sounds great!!!
the sort of place that i would like to visit!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-01-2005, 16:55
Sounds great Nostromo. Isaac is 6 and Freya is 4 so maybe a little young yet?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk[/iLas Vegas is somewhere we've always wanted to go but are waiting until the children are a bit older as I think they would get bored with it at the moment as there is not enough to keep them occupied (I'm prepared to be convinced otherwise though [msnwink]).
[/quote]

For the past few years, Las Vegas has been trying to be more and more 'Family Friendly', which I would translate as 'Kid friendly'. I don't know how old your children are John, but if they are 8 years or over, there will be plenty to do. Apart from rides like the NY-NY Rollercoaster, Stratosphere's 'Big Shot', X-Scream etc, there are shows orientated towards kids. MGM Grand is supposed to be particularly friendly to families with its Adventures Entertainment Complex and Youth Activity Center; when we visited a few years ago, there was an excellent teatime Magic Show aimed at the kids. I am sure other resorts would have followed suit by now. Then there are outdoor shows like The Mirage Volcano, Bellagio Fountains, Treasure Island's Pirate Ship and so on. Of course, there is loads of buffets, swimming etc. Worth checking out.
[/quote]

Nostromo
14-01-2005, 17:02
[/quote]

Yeah, I guess so. Nice names by the way. Freya sounds Nordic. I assume it's a girl?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-01-2005, 17:04
Thanks - yes Freya is Norwegian for "goddess of love" - the Norwegian spelling is Freja but we preferred the Scottish spelling with a "y" as otherwise she would have a lifetime of people mis-spelling her name.

[/quote]

Yeah, I guess so. Nice names by the way. Freya sounds Nordic. I assume it's a girl?
[/quote]

LiesaAnna
14-01-2005, 17:30
i know the feeling! Liesa

Cruella DeVilla
14-01-2005, 17:39
Florida X 15
New York x 1
Georgia X 3
Mississippi X 1
Tennessee X 1
Nevada X 1
California X 1
Louisianna x 1
Alabhama x 1
New Jersey X 1
Massachusettes X 1

Can't seem to break away from the Florida habit as we have been there around 15 times, want to see more of the States but with eventual hopes and plans to live there on a more permanent basis maybe one day I will get my ambition of visiting every State.

emm
14-01-2005, 17:51
Florida
Washington
New York
Colorado

My list seems rather paltry compared to some others!!!

chrizzy100
14-01-2005, 18:41
New York
Florida
Massachusettes
New Jersey
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
North Dakota
South Dakota
Washington DC
Montana
Wyoming
Connecticut
New Hampshire
Virginia

That the ones I can remeber.....

Cruella DeVilla
14-01-2005, 19:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
New York
Florida
Massachusettes
New Jersey
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
North Dakota
South Dakota
Washington DC
Montana
Wyoming
Connecticut
New Hampshire
Virginia

[/quote]

You are such a lucky thing living in the US!!!How long have you been there now?

E. Cosgrove
14-01-2005, 19:58
Florida
California
Nevada
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Arizona
Utah
Wyoming
Colorado
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Vermont
Washington
Rhode Island
connecticut
Maine

Wow, I didn't realize it was that many till I listed them,and there are many more I want to visit, especially in the East. Would love to follow the civil war trail. Next year it will be a trip down the east coast to Florida. Looking forward to hearing about your forthcoming trip Nostromo

Nostromo
14-01-2005, 20:03
I assume it is Washington state that you've listed Liz? Have you been to the Olympic National Park there? Apparently, it is the only temperate rainforest on earth. That, all the NPs in Utah and White Sands in New Mexico are on the top of my 'should go' list.

E. Cosgrove
14-01-2005, 20:21
We stayed with my bother in law in Seattle, and although we went up Mount Ranier we didn't get to Olympic National Park as we spent some of our time tavelling in Canada.
Have you been to Capitol Reef National Park in Utah? That really is a hidden gem?

chrizzy100
14-01-2005, 20:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
New York
Florida
Massachusettes
New Jersey
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
North Dakota
South Dakota
Washington DC
Montana
Wyoming
Connecticut
New Hampshire
Virginia

[/quote]

You are such a lucky thing living in the US!!!How long have you been there now?
[/quote]

We've lived here 5 years now.....but a lot of the traveling was done when we still lived in England.....out of all the places so far I love Montana best.....and have looked at buying a home there....but hubby thinks its to far to travel for a holiday home..and work is hard to come by there... so moving full time is not on the cards....and winters are long...and snow gets old quick......so we are looking at Virginia....or the Carolina's...

14-01-2005, 20:42
New York - 835 times and counting!!!!!
New Jersey
Texas
Nevada
Illinois
Hawaii
Washington DC

[msnsmile]

Ray&Sarah
Let see:

Florida
California
Nevada
New York
Washington
Virginia

Only another 36 to go then.[msnwink]:D

chrizzy100
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
Florida
California
Nevada
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Arizona
Utah
Wyoming
Colorado
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Vermont
Washington
Rhode Island
connecticut
Maine

Wow, I didn't realize it was that many till I listed them,and there are many more I want to visit, especially in the East. Would love to follow the civil war trail. Next year it will be a trip down the east coast to Florida. Looking forward to hearing about your forthcoming trip Nostromo
[/quote]

I'll have to add Rhode Island to my list.....I want to go to Maine this year.....and drive up to the falls......

chrizzy100
14-01-2005, 20:45
We stayed with my bother in law in Seattle, and although we went up Mount Ranier we didn't get to Olympic National Park as we spent some of our time tavelling in Canada.
Have you been to Capitol Reef National Park in Utah? That really is a hidden gem?
[/quote]

We've traveled a lot in Canada.....after a while I was sick to death of pine trees.....hehehehe
We have seen Seattle from afar.......but not been there.....

Ray&Sarah
14-01-2005, 21:14
Loved Niagara Chrizzy, even my sons thought it was spectacular and being teenagers it takes alot to impress them.:D:D:D

Nostromo
14-01-2005, 21:23
[/quote]

No Liz, I have not yet visited Utah. I know that it has more National Parks than any other state and will go someday soon. But I am told that Salt Lake City is dullsville:(.

SG
14-01-2005, 21:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
Nostromo

I think I've visited 15 - I've been on tours when it isn't always clear whether you are 'visiting' or passing through.

[/quote]

Definitely recommend the blue ridge mountains!

Will have to get Steve to list all the states we have visited so that I can post them.

E. Cosgrove
14-01-2005, 23:17
Chrizzy, Rhode Island is lovely. We paricularly enjoyed Newport where we walked the 6 mile cliff walk and ogled all the mansion where all the "old" money is and where the bankers fromBoston come for there vacation. Another lovely spot is Westerley and Watch Hill.
Florida
California
Nevada
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Arizona
Utah
Wyoming
Colorado
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Vermont
Washington
Rhode Island
connecticut
Maine

[/quote]

I'll have to add Rhode Island to my list.....I want to go to Maine this year.....and drive up to the falls......

[/quote]

chrizzy100
15-01-2005, 00:30
Chrizzy, Rhode Island is lovely. We paricularly enjoyed Newport where we walked the 6 mile cliff walk and ogled all the mansion where all the "old" money is and where the bankers fromBoston come for there vacation. Another lovely spot is Westerley and Watch Hill.
Florida
California
Nevada
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Arizona
Utah
Wyoming
Colorado
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Vermont
Washington
Rhode Island
connecticut
Maine

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

We went there to have our finger prints done for our visas.....but never had much time to look around....I'll make a note of the places you said and try to see them...a neighbour on the Cape lived in Newport...I think he was planning on taking us there this year.......:D

chrizzy100
15-01-2005, 00:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
Loved Niagara Chrizzy, even my sons thought it was spectacular and being teenagers it takes alot to impress them.:D:D:D
[/quote]

We are going to give FL a rest and go up country this summer....into Canada and maybe meet up with friends there....we have to see the falls before we move......

Ray&Sarah
15-01-2005, 02:19
[/quote]

We are going to give FL a rest and go up country this summer....into Canada and maybe meet up with friends there....we have to see the falls before we move......
[/quote]

Its definately worth it, make sure you view it from both the US and the Canadian sides if you can. The views are quite different.[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
15-01-2005, 13:53

[i]Its definately worth it, make sure you view it from both the US and the Canadian sides if you can. The views are quite different.[msnsmile2]

Absolutely true. We usually allow a whole day for the Canadian side alone, to spend time at the falls, go up the skylon tower, ride the Spanish cable car, do the boardwalk, Niagara Glen etc. We keep the Maid of the Mist tour for the American side, along with the 'Cave of the Winds' tour, 3-sisters etc. It is a wonderful experience.:)

Ray&Sarah
15-01-2005, 13:59

[i]Its definately worth it, make sure you view it from both the US and the Canadian sides if you can. The views are quite different.[msnsmile2]

Absolutely true. We usually allow a whole day for the Canadian side alone, to spend time at the falls, go up the skylon tower, ride the Spanish cable car, do the boardwalk, Niagara Glen etc. We keep the Maid of the Mist tour for the American side, along with the 'Cave of the Winds' tour, 3-sisters etc. It is a wonderful experience.:)
[/quote]

We didn't do the Maid of the Mist tour as it was too misty on the day and a park ranger on the US side advised us to not do it if you couldn't see the top of the falls from up top.[msnsmile2]

SG
15-01-2005, 19:19
Steve has produced the list for me so here goes:

Washington State (also Washington DC)
Idaho
California
Nevada
Arizona
Utah
Montana
Wyoming
Colorado
New Mexico
Texas
Nebraska
Kansas
South Dakota
Illinois
Iowa
Missouri
Arkansas
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
North Carolina
South Carolina
Virginia
West Virginia
Maine
Massachusets
Vermont
New Hampshire
New York
Connecticut
Rhode Island
New Jersey
Maryland
Pennsylvania
Delaware

This should total 36 of the 50. Only 14 to go to achieve our ambition of visiting them all. We hope to add a few more later this year when we drive route 50 [msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
15-01-2005, 20:46
Thanks for reminding me about the others....
so I'll add..

Maryland
Pennsylvania
Delaware
We went to Rhode Island a few time to have our prints done for our visas....and we stop at different places on the way down to FL when we drive down......

Most of our travels were done in Canada......where we did plan on living.......

SG
15-01-2005, 20:55
Always glad to be of help Chrizzy [msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

djdigitald
17-01-2005, 11:57
Florida
South Carolina
Missouri
Mississippi
Louisiana
Georgia
Maine
:D

E. Cosgrove
17-01-2005, 13:16
Wow Shirley that's an impressive list, I think what they always say is true. The tourists who visit the US have seen more of the US than the people who live there!!! Mind you there are a fair few places in our tiny country that I have never visited, would you believe that I have never been to Cornwall[msneek]

SG
17-01-2005, 13:28
Wow Shirley that's an impressive list, I think what they always say is true. The tourists who visit the US have seen more of the US than the people who live there!!! Mind you there are a fair few places in our tiny country that I have never visited, would you believe that I have never been to Cornwall[msneek]
[/quote]

Hi Liz

I think you are right that we often make an effort to tour other countries but do less in our own. I remember once talking to an Austrian guy in Venice about London and I realised that he had visited so much more of it than I had and I was born and lived there. You tend not to do the touristy thing close to home.

Nostromo
17-01-2005, 13:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SG

[i] You tend not to do the touristy thing close to home.

You said it. In the 20 years that I have been in this country, I have been to Blackpool all of once.[8D]

MaggieAllan
17-01-2005, 15:34
I've never even been to London...doesn't do it for me at all.

17-01-2005, 18:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MaggieAllan
[/quote]

Maggie,

How do you know if you have never been there!!!TeeHee!!!

I was born in West London and lived in Sunbury on Thames for most of my life then met and married a Manchester Lad so moved north and I would not move back for all the tea in China - I love Cheshire!!!![msnwink]

chunkichik
17-01-2005, 18:44
Only been to Florida twice, but when I met my Husband he was in the process of getting a green card through a job in Greensboro, North Carolina. It took about four years altogether for everything to come through and we balked at the last minute, didn't want to leave the family etc.

This is probably the only regret I have in my life, we could have bought an open return ticket and just come home if we wanted to, we had no kids, no mortgage, nothing!!

Still never mind, everything happens for a reason[msntongue]

When my children are a bit older, I want to go to New England, in the fall of course, I make my living from crafts, handmade cards etc. and have been told that its very crafty there!!! Not sure whether I would take the boys or not, would have to look into what there is for them to do!!!

Mo Green
26-01-2005, 00:18
New York
New Jersey
California
Arizona
Nevada
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
West Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia

and 15 times to Florida

E. Cosgrove
26-01-2005, 02:44
I did it the other way round Lucy, moved from Cheshire to Wiltshire. No desire to move back! Glad you love my "roots" though:)<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MaggieAllan
[/quote]

Maggie,

How do you know if you have never been there!!!TeeHee!!!

I was born in West London and lived in Sunbury on Thames for most of my life then met and married a Manchester Lad so moved north and I would not move back for all the tea in China - I love Cheshire!!!![msnwink]
[/quote]

resorthomerentals
26-01-2005, 06:50
I think these are all the states I've spent time in (not counting just a drive through the corner on a road trip!) in no particular order...

Michigan
Ohio
Indiana
Illinois
West Virginia
Virginia
Maryland
New York
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Tennessee
Nevada (my sister lives in Vegas)
California
South Dakota
Oklahoma
Texas
Hawaii
New Mexico
Arizona
Colorado
Connecticut
Massachusetts
North Carolina
Missouri
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
New Hampshire
Utah

Still have many more to visit, but I'm over the half way mark to seeing them all!

ctgirlscout
30-01-2005, 19:59
I've done 35 states plus Washington, DC (not a state). Hope someday to get to the other 15.

luckylady
01-03-2005, 04:18
Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 11:45:13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My states are
Florida,
New York,
West virginia.
Texas
California
Nevada,
Arizona,
Colorado,
New Mexico
Texas,
New Jersey
Tennessee
North Dakota this year

Fran19
01-03-2005, 15:30
Only been to 4 -

Florida (x 6)
California (x 1)
Nevada (x 2)
Arizona (x 2)

All fantastic places and quite different and looking forward to seeing many more!

Ann-Marie
01-03-2005, 15:52
Nostromo

When in Virginia, you must take a drive along 'Skyline Drive' and look out over the Shenandoah Valley - its absolutely fantastic. The Blue Ridge Mountains are breathtaking - definitely a must if you're going to Virginia.

See that attached site - its full of info on this great park.

http://www.shenandoah.national-park.com/

Ann-Marie
01-03-2005, 15:57
Florida x3
California x2
Washington DC x2
Virginia x2
Nevada (Las Vegas) x2

mona
19-06-2005, 15:57
Texas
Arizona
Nevada
New Mexico
California
Utah
Wyoming
Montana
Colorado
Idaho
Kansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma
South Dekota

We lived out there for nearly 4 years.....loooved it !!!!

Ramona[msnsmile2]

fraser
23-06-2005, 12:57
Florida
California
Nevada
New York
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa

dan
23-06-2005, 15:06
Florida (x7)
New York (x3)

A question for villa owners

Do you travel to other states from your villas or do you book a separate holiday altogether?

floridageoff
07-07-2005, 01:15
Florida (x13)
New York (x2)
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Vermont
Maine
California
Nevada

and hope to visit many more in the years to come although I would also love to visit Canada.

owen3
08-07-2005, 05:35
florida(x7) maine hawaii california new york chicago we always travel from the uk on holiday, not from our villa. barbara