PDA

View Full Version : New York Hotels

Claire M
12-01-2005, 15:37
Hi

We have booked our flights with Virgin to New York, then we are catching a Delta Song flight to Orlando. We have decided to stay a few days in New York. Anyone got any ideas of which area's to stay and good hotels. We have a budget of £200 max per night. Needs to be child friendly and preferably at least a 4 star.

Thanks for your help.

Claire

Nostromo
12-01-2005, 16:06
£200 per night (about $375) should get you a good hotel in NY. Generally, the South and East sides of Manhattan are more upmarket, but the hotels tend to me more expensive as well. Manhattan's streets increase in their numbering as they go north. Thus 23rd Street will be south of 58th street and so on. By the same token, there could be a significant difference in the price and quality of the hotels between the West and easte sections of the same street, with the latter more upmarket.

As a rough rule of the thumb, hotels 59th Street or less in number are OK. That is the southern border of the Central Park. So, go for the lower street numbers and the east side of Manhattan.

Nostromo
12-01-2005, 16:18
There are way too many suitable (and unsuitable)hotels in Manhattan to suggest specific names. But most NY Hotel booking sites are very good and all you have to do is a Google search, make a shortlist, check availability for your dates and select one, based on the two points mentioned above - as much South and East you can get for your money. All the best.

12-01-2005, 17:43
One thing to note about NY hotels is that even a 4 star can be of a lower standard than 4 star hotels elsewhere.

I can honestly say I have been to NY hundreds and hundreds of times in my 20 years as BA crew and have taken my children many times too.

A good central base would be mid town, say the Sheraton Towers 7th and 53rd street or the Sheraton Manhattan which is across the road. Have a look here.........

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/search/search_results.html?city=new+york&stateProvince=NY&country=US&IM=SI_HP_TD_NewYork

If you need to know anything more specific DM me!

Cruella DeVilla
12-01-2005, 17:51
I stayed in the Loews in Lexington Avenue(?) in 99, it is opposite the Waldorf Astoria and is a very nice hotel, probably 4 star and I would definately recommend it. They are a group, I know they have one in South Beach to and it is posh.

Good luck.

Bazamor
12-01-2005, 17:54
There is deals on at the waldorf astoria and the new Yorker both are right at the heart of it .Try expedia.com. I have just booked my wife a surprise trip with 2 friends for 3 nights for £1600 all in , flights, Waldorf at concierge level and limo to and from airport. Bargain!!

Jo
12-01-2005, 18:38
If every ypo need another wife - put me on the top of the waiting list! WOW!

Cruella DeVilla
12-01-2005, 19:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Bazamor
There is deals on at the waldorf astoria and the new Yorker both are right at the heart of it .Try expedia.com. I have just booked my wife a surprise trip with 2 friends for 3 nights for £1600 all in , flights, Waldorf at concierge level and limo to and from airport. Bargain!!
[/quote]

Oh you will need to let me know what it was like! I love that hotel!

skippy
17-01-2005, 03:18
We stayed at the Philaedelphia hotel in Manhatton, opposite Madison square gardens so when we pulled up outside we thought wow the entrance and lobby were fab but when we went up to our rooms the corridors were disgusting and the rooms could have been better, try asking to see the rooms before you decide to stay.

Katys Grandad
17-01-2005, 11:41
We always stay at the Parker Meridien on W57 St. Centrally located, beautiful rooms overlooking Central Park, indoor rooftop pool and 'Norma's' - the best breakfast in the USA (critic's words - not mine). You will get a room there within your budget particularly at the weekend. You might even get Bed and Breakfast.

A small tip - wherever you decide to stay, call the hotel direct for the best rates rather then book on-line.

Katys Grandad
17-01-2005, 11:42
Should have added that the hotel is very child-friendly. Cartoons played in the lifts and a very reasonable casual burger bar off the lobby.

steph_goodrum
17-01-2005, 13:54
"We stayed at the Philaedelphia hotel in Manhatton, opposite Madison square gardens so when we pulled up outside we thought wow the entrance and lobby were fab but when we went up to our rooms the corridors were disgusting and the rooms could have been better, try asking to see the rooms before you decide to stay."

Are you sure it wasnt the Hotel Pennsylvania? We had a VERY disappointing stay there in the summer due to the standard of the room, however with George Bush and Kerry in town for the Republican National Convention and Bushes pre election speech to the nation there was not much available in town. To make matters worse having complained about the room and been shown an even worse one to chage to, because of Orlando being shut due to the impending hurricane we had no choice but to spend another $330 for an extra 2 nights there (this took us into Labor day weekend0 so we figured there was no point wasting time traipsing round the other hotels to find out who had room.

17-01-2005, 19:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
"We stayed at the Philaedelphia hotel in Manhatton, opposite Madison square gardens so when we pulled up outside we thought wow the entrance and lobby were fab but when we went up to our rooms the corridors were disgusting and the rooms could have been better, try asking to see the rooms before you decide to stay."

Are you sure it wasnt the Hotel Pennsylvania? We had a VERY disappointing stay there in the summer due to the standard of the room, however with George Bush and Kerry in town for the Republican National Convention and Bushes pre election speech to the nation there was not much available in town. To make matters worse having complained about the room and been shown an even worse one to chage to, because of Orlando being shut due to the impending hurricane we had no choice but to spend another $330 for an extra 2 nights there (this took us into Labor day weekend0 so we figured there was no point wasting time traipsing round the other hotels to find out who had room.
[/quote]

That is one grotty hotel!!! I think its only a 2 or 3 star though?

Nostromo
17-01-2005, 21:26
We once stayed at a place called Skyline Hotel on the West side, which was the only thing we could get at short notice. It was in the rather pokey "Hell's Kitchen" area of NYC, but convenient for the main tourist stops. Although very ordinary from the outside, the rooms were large and clean and the restaurant OK. At least it justified its 3 stars.

steph_goodrum
17-01-2005, 21:28
Not according to the site we booked from (can't remmber the name of it). The parts that had been refurbished such as the foyer, lobby restaurant etc were all fine but they had so many people staying they opened an accommodation block that was awaiting refurb. The room was clean and the bathroom but was just so shabby and we could only close the curtain by using a safety pin as there was a panel missing. The room they showed us as being available to swap though had black mould all round the window and bathroom, certainly no good for anybody let alone 2 asthmatics.

Nostromo
17-01-2005, 21:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Not according to the site we booked from (can't remmber the name of it). The parts that had been refurbished such as the foyer, lobby restaurant etc were all fine but they had so many people staying they opened an accommodation block that was awaiting refurb. The room was clean and the bathroom but was just so shabby and we could only close the curtain by using a safety pin as there was a panel missing. The room they showed us as being available to swap though had black mould all round the window and bathroom, certainly no good for anybody let alone 2 asthmatics.
[/quote]

We were there in June 2002 and if I remember right, the refurb was done by then. Although it was strictly functional, we had no big complaints, especially as the staff were so helpful. But I have to admit that the immediate neighbourhood was rather forgettable.

wiljohn
17-01-2005, 22:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
We once stayed at a place called Skyline Hotel on the West side, which was the only thing we could get at short notice. It was in the rather pokey "Hell's Kitchen" area of NYC, but convenient for the main tourist stops. Although very ordinary from the outside, the rooms were large and clean and the restaurant OK. At least it justified its 3 stars.
[/quote]

My daughter has been staying at this hotel while in New york for a short break, package deal for her 21st,she will be setting off back home today, haven't spoken to her yet so I don't know if she enjoyed staying here.

Ray&Sarah
17-01-2005, 22:57
We have stayed in New York twice and had two quite different hotel experiences, the first time we stayed at a Sheraton hotel near Central Park, it was lovely, good location and the rooms were very nice, it was not cheap but not really expensive either. The second time we stayed we stayed at a Holiday Inn, quite near the Empire State and were not at all impressed. The rooms were in dire need of decorating and even though we had requested two rooms together, we ended up on completely seperate floors at either end of the hotel, wouldn't recomend it at all.[msnscared][msnsmile]

steph_goodrum
18-01-2005, 02:32
The first time we went we stayed at the Comfort inn in midtown and that was much better than this but was fully booked when we tried to book several months before. The rooms were much more spacious and fresher looking.