PDA

View Full Version : Traffic fine - Unpaid

john
05-01-2003, 13:36
Hi

I had an accident (no injuries - only damage to the vehicle) while driving a rental vehicle in Orlando in 1998. I had the top whack covers all insurance, and never heard any more from the rental Co.

A state trooper issued me with an on the spot 'fine', which was fair as I caused the accident. Although I offered to pay him, he said that I should send the payment by post. I fully intended to so so. Unfortunately, I never got around to it - the fine remains unpaid and the paperwork is no longer held by me.

The address on my UK driving license at that time was my previous one which I had left in 1991, I stayed at the same address from 1991 until 2002, when I moved. My uk license now has my current address on it. I travel on a canadian passport.

My question is - when I return to Orlando in April, am I liable to face problems either with entry @ immigration or indeed with subsequent car hire?

Anyone know of any similar experiences or been through similar?

regards

John

caroline
05-01-2003, 13:58
Haven't heard of anyhting like this before - however - did the state trooper take details of your passport?
If not then I think it highly unlikely that you'd have any problems.

bellaepovera
05-01-2003, 17:06
I dont think you will have any problems but maybe you should contact the embassy and ask them.

florida4sun
05-01-2003, 18:32
I dont think you waold have problems with imigration at present, they are tryingg to ,lonk all sytems together but that is along way off. If you were stopped again by the police and your name came up, that's, were your problems could start. If you have an unpaid fine its handcuffs and off to the station.

quote:Originally posted by john

Hi

I had an accident (no injuries - only damage to the vehicle) while driving a rental vehicle in Orlando in 1998. I had the top whack covers all insurance, and never heard any more from the rental Co.

A state trooper issued me with an on the spot "fine", which was fair as I caused the accident. Although I offered to pay him, he said that I should send the payment by post. I fully intended to so so. Unfortunately, I never got around to it - the fine remains unpaid and the paperwork is no longer held by me.

The address on my UK driving license at that time was my previous one which I had left in 1991, I stayed at the same address from 1991 until 2002, when I moved. My uk license now has my current address on it. I travel on a canadian passport.

My question is - when I return to Orlando in April, am I liable to face problems either with entry @ immigration or indeed with subsequent car hire?

Anyone know of any similar experiences or been through similar?

regards

John

blott
05-01-2003, 18:53
John

To save yourself worrying for the whole time you're in Florida in case you're stopped on another matter, check it out! I've found this on the American Embassy website.

"Travelers with minor traffic offenses which did not result in an arrest and/or conviction for the offense may travel visa free, provided they are otherwise qualified. If the traffic offense occurred while you were in the United States, and you have an outstanding fine against you or your did not attend your court hearing, it is possible there may be a warrant out for your arrest, and you will experience problems when applying for admission into the U.S. Therefore you should resolve the issue before traveling by contacting the court where you were to appear. If you do not know the address of the court then information is available from the Internet at: www.refdesk.com."

If the fine is still valid, presumably just paying the fine would sort it out amicably but best check it out first.

orlandobabe
10-01-2003, 01:57
Ooops!

It might be a good idea to try to pay it before you go!

Then you can relax. It's only about $72 for a first offence-I think!