PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you been to Florida

Phil and Mel
11-01-2005, 00:04
I am intrigued to know how many times you have all been to the 'Sunshine State'??

Ray&Sarah
11-01-2005, 00:05
Does that mean three times or more Phil & Mel.[msnsmile2]

Phil and Mel
11-01-2005, 00:06
SOrry[msnscared][msnscared] I hit ENTER by accident!!!

ORLANDO_MAGIC
11-01-2005, 00:08
Glad to say 5 times in 4 years and will be at least 6 in the next few months[clap]

John

Ray&Sarah
11-01-2005, 00:10
I think its 7 times for us now, 8 times when we have been in February this year, can't wait. Never tire of going to Florida.[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
11-01-2005, 00:12
I have been 5 times so far. 1991, 1995, 1998, 2000-1, and 2004. The first 3 and the most recent were great successes [beer][beer][beer][beer], but the fourth trip was a man made disaster after a great start :(. Out next trip is not until October 2007 [msncry].

Phil and Mel
11-01-2005, 00:13
You lucky, lucky things[lucky][lucky]!!!

We've only been the once (so far) but have already booked for this year and also for 2006.....we are even considering 2007[msneek][msneek]

Phil and Mel
11-01-2005, 00:14
Nostromo,

Should I ask about the "man made disaster" or not?!?!? [msnscared]

Nostromo
11-01-2005, 00:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Phil and Mel
Nostromo,

Should I ask about the "man made disaster" or not?!?!? [msnscared]
[/quote]

NOT I'm afraid. There are certain aspects of the fiasco that are unsuitable for these forums. Moreover, I was not exactly blameless [msnembarrased]. All I can say that it was thanks to City Walk and let you make your own guesses![msnwink]

Phil and Mel
11-01-2005, 00:24
Message received LOUD and CLEAR [msnwink]

resorthomerentals
11-01-2005, 00:36
Living in the Michigan and having relatives in Florida, we visited a lot when I was a kid. My kids have been there 2 or 3 times (youngest wasn't around yet for the first trip with kids[msnsmile]). We managed 5 trips in 2004. First was a vacation with family, 2nd was adults only for bike week in Daytona. 3rd was for walk through of new villa just before closing (only a day trip - so it doesn't really count. 4th trip for hubby and I was for closing on villa and getting it ready for renting (most exciting of all the trips). Last trip was in August with the kids to show them the new house. Got there just in time for Bonnie and Charlie to blow in. [msnoo] Still had a great time and can't wait to go back!

brizzle
11-01-2005, 00:50
Dec 1998 thru Jan 1999 - Hotel, Honeymoon on the 192 [:X]
Dec 2002 - Hotel on I Drive (sorry ;)), kids first trip
Dec 2003 - Hotel, I Drive and Animal Kingdom Lodge
Apr/May 2004 - First Villa :):)
Nov/Dec 2004 - Villa, Mums first trip
Oct/Nov 2005 - Villa, Mums second trip :)

Brizzle.

KJH
11-01-2005, 01:04
10+ the next one on the 31st January....sorry have i mentioned that somewhere before[msnwink]

Sally D
11-01-2005, 01:04
Twice for me. 3rd one booked for October.[clap][clap][clap]
Sally

blott
11-01-2005, 01:18
More than 10, a lot more than 10 and I'm here now :) and will be coming back again in April 2005. :)

LiesaAnna
11-01-2005, 01:20
been twice third one booked for Nov 05 and sooooooooooo looking forward to it already!!!!!!!

Phil and Mel
11-01-2005, 01:25
Fair play to you Blott....now I know why you are so knowledgeable about Florida!!![msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Have you been going for a "number" of years or has it been multiple trips per year?

Ray&Sarah
11-01-2005, 01:26
Ooh you lucky thing Blott, wich we were there now too.[msnsmile2]

blott
11-01-2005, 01:39
Shall I tell you about how it is now? Or perhaps not? Oh, I'm going to anyway! :)

The sun's shining, it's around 80F, there a few little puffy clouds, the rear lake (can't see the front one at the mo) is like a millpond with no ripples at all apart from the fish, there's a heron fishing (and two little boys) as well as some egrets and an anhinga, we saw the alligator this morning and the sand hill cranes, it's really quiet and peaceful... and we've been working all day inside getting ready for the photographer coming tomorrow!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
11-01-2005, 01:42
I've lost count - "a lot" would be the closest I could get to the actual figure :D:D:D

Ray&Sarah
11-01-2005, 01:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Shall I tell you about how it is now? Or perhaps not? Oh, I'm going to anyway! :)

The sun's shining, it's around 80F, there a few little puffy clouds, the rear lake (can't see the front one at the mo) is like a millpond with no ripples at all apart from the fish, there's a heron fishing (and two little boys) as well as some egrets and an anhinga, we saw the alligator this morning and the sand hill cranes, it's really quiet and peaceful... and we've been working all day inside getting ready for the photographer coming tomorrow!
[/quote]

I'm not jealous, really i'm not, no i'm not!!![msnwink]:D Ok just little, well maybe a lot then.:D

linda allen
11-01-2005, 02:44
I've lost count too. Apart from holidays I travelled to Florida many times over the last 21 years as cabin crew for BA.

pubmaster2k
11-01-2005, 04:51
Vicky & I used to work for Carnival cruise lines, I was there for 5 years and fell in love with the place mainly Miami but 18 months out of Port Canaveral, since we got married in 1994 we have been at least twice a year, and are looking forward to going more often, why go anywhere else ?

11-01-2005, 10:21
More than 10 for holidays, started going in 1983, and tons of times to Miami when I was BA Concorde Crew[msnsmile]

Cruella DeVilla
11-01-2005, 12:51
About 15 times, 5 in the last year, feels like we are going home when we arrive on Florida soil.

MaggieAllan
11-01-2005, 13:37
May 96 ... hotel package hol - 2 weeks
Nov 97 ... first villa 2 weeks at Lindfields
Sept 00 ... one week travelling east coast and back up west coast ( stopped over night in Cocoa, Pompano, Fort Myers, Clearwater) then one week villa Southern Dunes
Sept 03 ... villa 2 weeks at Indian Pointe incl overnight stop in Clearwater
Sept 04 ... allocated townhouse(no pool)package hol - 1 week
Dec 04 ... villa 1 week at Calabay Parc

six times so far and it's getting shorter between trips...can't wait to go again, but house improvemnets this year (double height extn) so could be a while [msncry] And I've got to get there for 3 weeks someday, so I can fit in a good stint in the Keys.

Blott, it sounds lovely, might try Jan next time, or link to half term in Feb like Fiona.

Nostromo
11-01-2005, 13:43
I just realised that the question said FLORIDA and not just Orlando and vicinity. In addition to my 5 aforementioned visits to Orlando, I have been to Miami twice. The first time was way back in 1963 when I was 7 years old, but I have a good recollection of most events. Don't recall the name of the hotel but I still remember a large photo featuring JFK & Jackie in the lobby. We went to Miami again in 1992.

MaggieAllan
11-01-2005, 13:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
I just realised that the question said FLORIDA and not just Orlando and vicinity. In addition to my 5 aforementioned visits to Orlando, I have been to Miami twice. The first time was way back in 1963 when I was 7 years old, but I have a good recollection of most events. Don't recall the name of the hotel but I still remember a large photo featuring JFK & Jackie in the lobby. We went to Miami again in 1992.
[/quote]

I bet you have seen a tremendous amount of change over the years Nostromo...you were very well travelled for back then in 63. In that year, when I was 2, we went to the Isle of Man - abroad for us then. Our children are getting to see much more of the world, and I hope they go on to see as much as you have.

Phil and Mel
11-01-2005, 14:09
At the very least I think we can all rest, safe in the knowledge that the experts really do have the experiences to back up their comments......not that I ever doubted them for a second, obviously!![msnscared][msnscared][msnscared]

Nostromo
11-01-2005, 14:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MaggieAllan
I bet you have seen a tremendous amount of change over the years Nostromo...you were very well travelled for back then in 63. In that year, when I was 2, we went to the Isle of Man - abroad for us then. Our children are getting to see much more of the world, and I hope they go on to see as much as you have.
[/quote]

The only reason that I am 'well travelled' is cos I had no choice as a kid. My foster parents took me along wherever they went, but there is a darker side to the story as well. My earliest visit anywhere was in November 1959 to Hawaii. It was just after my 4th Birthday, but I do know that we were supposed to have stayed in a 'Village Hotel' that was taken over by Hilton a few years later. The only recollections from that visit are a palm tree very close to our balcony and a native staff member who must have helped with the luggage.

djdigitald
11-01-2005, 16:25
November 2004 was my 20th visit! :D

domster
11-01-2005, 21:42
4 as to date, will be 5 in April.[8D]

DOM

julieanne
12-01-2005, 13:04
Think my last trip was my 14th (I've lost count) [8D] [8D]

Hope for MANY MANY more [msnwink] [msnwink]

E. Cosgrove
12-01-2005, 21:31
How about, I've been 8 times but there are going to be many more trips now I have my new villa. Don't intend to forget the rest of the US though, there are some fantastic places to visit out there.[msncool]

Nostromo
12-01-2005, 21:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
Don't intend to forget the rest of the US though, there are some fantastic places to visit out there.[msncool]
[/quote]

You can say that again. In a few months, I'm off on a 3-week holiday covering Chicago, Indianapolis (including the Indy 500), Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mountains, Myrtle Beach and Cape Hatteras. Looking forward to it.[beer][beer]

Cruella DeVilla
12-01-2005, 22:05
Don't intend to forget the rest of the US though, there are some fantastic places to visit out there.[msncool]
[/quote]

You can say that again. In a few months, I'm off on a 3-week holiday covering Chicago, Indianapolis (including the Indy 500), Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mountains, Myrtle Beach and Cape Hatteras. Looking forward to it.[beer][beer]
[/quote]

Oh I am jealous! I love the States, I have travelled all over the world in my 36 years but its the USA every time for me.

Nostromo
13-01-2005, 00:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
You can say that again. In a few months, I'm off on a 3-week holiday covering Chicago, Indianapolis (including the Indy 500), Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mountains, Myrtle Beach and Cape Hatteras. Looking forward to it.[beer]
[/quote]

[b]Oh I am jealous! I love the States, I have travelled all over the world in my 36 years but its the USA every time for me.
[/quote]

CDV, you don't have to be jealous. You can always come with me! [msnwink][msnwink]

E. Cosgrove
13-01-2005, 00:16
Any room in your suitcase for me?[msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
[/quote]

[/quote]

Nostromo
13-01-2005, 00:21
Any room in your suitcase for me?[msnwink]
[i]

You're a touch late Liz. I'm afraid my suitcase is booked already. But if you're interested, I'm planning a visit to the Canadian Rockies next year. [msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

CarolAnn
13-01-2005, 12:27
Well we have managed 14 so far!! My daughter thinks everybody goes to Disney for their hols EVERY year!! She is just starting to appreciate how lucky she has been for the past 12 years!! We would like to see more of the states, but for now..it's Florida for us, it really seems to have everything we look for in our family holiday[8D]

julieanne
13-01-2005, 12:48
[/quote]

[/quote]

Nostromo - have you been to Myrtle Beach before?
I'd be interested to know what you, or indeed anyone else thinks of it. It's one of the many many places in the US that I'd like to go [msnwink]

Nostromo
13-01-2005, 13:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne

[i]Nostromo - have you been to Myrtle Beach before?
I'd be interested to know what you, or indeed anyone else thinks of it. It's one of the many many places in the US that I'd like to go [msnwink]

No, I have never been to South Carolina before. My first stop there will be Congaree National Park near Columbia before going on to Myrtle Beach. From what I have heard, it is a bit like Blackpool, only warmer and a nicer beach. I'll let you know how it was soon after my return.

LiesaAnna
13-01-2005, 13:24
just dont know how all these trips are afforded!!!!!!!!!!!
we only started having holidays abroad when we decided Butlins was just as dear! only started going in the year 2000, we decided as we both were turning 40 we would do something different might not seem like a big deal to some but money and fear of flying! Thankfully both sorted now and we are gonna do florida as often as we possibly can!!!!!!
hubby even has thoughts on "buying" a villa one day..............we'll see.......

julieanne
13-01-2005, 13:36
I have dreams of buying a villa there too Liesa. Or failing that at least being able to spend 2 or 3 months a year there in the future [clap]
You never know we could be neighbours one day [msnwink]

Nostromo
13-01-2005, 13:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
just dont know how all these trips are afforded!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Leisa, in our case there is one simple reason. No kids (though I have other commitments). We did not plan it that way, but it turned out anyway.

LiesaAnna
13-01-2005, 14:49
yes i know ....kids,,,,,, could've had a villa of our own if we didnt have all 6 pesky kids.. but at least we get to have fantastic holidays there and for that i'm very thankful,

Phil and Mel
13-01-2005, 15:41
SIX kids, Liesa!!! That's pretty impressive.....if a "touch" crazy....I can only just look after one!!![msnembarrased][msnembarrased]

How old are they all? Are they still at "difficult" stages? [msneek][msneek]

Phil

LiesaAnna
13-01-2005, 16:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Phil and Mel
SIX kids, Liesa!!! That's pretty impressive.....if a "touch" crazy....I can only just look after one!!![msnembarrased][msnembarrased]

How old are they all? Are they still at "difficult" stages? [msneek][msneek]

Phil
[/quote]

i know i was mad then but hey its worth while now!
i have 2 boys and 4 girls and 4 grandchildren!
Derek, 24
Kerrie, 22
Russ, 21
Kirsty, 19
Terri, 16
and Lauren is 9 and the worst of the lot! bossy little madam!!!! all by same mum and dad! and we been married nearly 25 years in april!
and we love florida
oh and the grandchildren 2 boys and 2 girls
we're hoping Kerrie and her partner and their baby whos nearly 1 will be coming to florida with us this year! he will be 21 months when we go and i think he will love it......i know i will!!!!!

ooops sorry have gone off topic!!![msnembarrased]

julieanne
13-01-2005, 16:42
WOW!!!

No wonder you didn't get to Florida till 2000 - you've been too busy [msnwink] [msnwink]

Phil and Mel
13-01-2005, 17:33
I'll second that, Julie!!![msnscared]

CorFL
09-07-2005, 18:03
We visit Florida about 2 - 3 times a year... last visit was in May..
Next is juli 28... and after that Christmas time...

In total we've visted (give or take a visit) about 19 or 20 times

george
10-07-2005, 02:45
That's exactly how we feel when we arrive in Florida - I've been about 20 times and George has been 5 times more.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
About 15 times, 5 in the last year, feels like we are going home when we arrive on Florida soil.
[/quote]

Frosty
10-07-2005, 03:34
We started going in 1982 as young 19 years olds, then probably twice a year most years since then.
A quick tot up makes it near the 40 mark, but i personally have been over there 4 times this year and 3 last so its probably more.

Its only since i found this forum that i have tried to make a more concious point of remembering costs and details etc so they can be relayed to people. I guess if i had paid more attention from the beginning i could have been a real expert by now.

luckylady
10-07-2005, 05:48
We havw been to the States about 28 times in the last 18 years
Maybe about 17 of those to Florida
We are now going more often and for longer Still cannot get enough
I thought by now we would like a change but no we loooooove Florida

10-07-2005, 13:06
Bit unfair to mention as I was crew but I have been on over 1000 trips to the states, mainly New York, Miami and Washington, but for holidays at least 25 times since 1983, mostly to Florida [msnwink]

alanandjude
11-07-2005, 01:52
We have been 6 times and are about to book trip number 7 for Sept 2005. Our little boy is 3 and Sept will be his 5th trip to Florida!!!!

Jude & Alan

owen3
11-07-2005, 03:04
been 7 times hope to make it 8 in september. barbara & gary

fraser
21-07-2005, 03:02
9 times just can't keep away, three times this year and last year.

florida
21-07-2005, 03:44
We went in 1996 for what we thought would be the holiday of a lifetime and we got hooked and keep going back, 9 visits so far. We returned home on Monday and my daughter was searching flight prices Monday afternoon and we could be going back in about 6 weeks time only for a fortnight this time, but any time in Florida is fantastic. Every time we touch down at Orlando my daughter says it's good to be home and every time we leave I get all emotional. My husband and I will no doubt retire there eventually or should I say hopefully!

nicklangdon
21-07-2005, 12:58
Been twice and are due to go again end of january.Can't wait!!!!![clap]

gail and david roberts
21-07-2005, 18:45
This is are six Time in Florida
bought the Villa after the third visit just Love the place
I always feel home sick when I go to Spain
but Im never want to leave Florida, I feel we are home
hopefully in the future
we can do three or four months at a time
that would be a dream [msnsmile2]

jaff
22-08-2005, 04:11
well a only been once cos am skinted all the time.....its a very £££££££ holiday and a need to seriously look into how u ppl manage it so much cheaper

megan
22-08-2005, 19:42
[clap]

JJTR
26-08-2005, 23:57
Help, I have not been able to log onto the forum properly for some time now. I can only access parts of the forum and as a villa owner I need and want to access the owners areas. It keeps saying 'only available for live villa owners'. I am a live villa owner (1773) Please help me.....

Sorry if this is not the correct way to ask this question, but I didn't know how else to solve my problem.

Please email me if you can help
jandj.monaghan@piper-home.de

Thankyou
Jane

27-08-2005, 00:22
Try sending John or Roger a DM I am sure they will sort it out for you[msnwink]

freddiehollie
20-10-2005, 22:49
Have been every year since 1992. twice in 2000 & 2002 (christmas & new year BRILLIANT)
Booked for May 2006 can't wait!!!!!

E. Cosgrove
20-10-2005, 22:57
Twice more than when I originally answered this poll, and soon to be 3 times!!!!

amy
21-10-2005, 00:14
9 times for us after our trip in 3 weeks, 7 for our 3 yr old. Who see's a plane and says holidays, ask her where it's going and they always go to mickeys house[msnsmile]12 if you count other states since 1998

normajohnp
21-10-2005, 23:00
20 plus for us.7th time for our 2 year old grandson coming up.We are going out for a month from the 12 Dec to 11 Jan can`t wait still love the place.
Norma

mizzy
22-10-2005, 01:21
i was a proper florida virgin[:O]
until last easter and now i'm counting the days until march 07
Mizzy
:D

LiesaAnna
22-10-2005, 01:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by normajohnp
20 plus for us.7th time for our 2 year old grandson coming up.We are going out for a month from the 12 Dec to 11 Jan can`t wait still love the place.
Norma
[/quote]

thats what i would like to do next stay for a month at the exact same time Norma!!! maybe one year we will!!

normajohnp
22-10-2005, 17:01
I am so exited about staying for the month. We have stayed for three weeks before and this is our first Christmass out there. We usually go out in Dec but have always came home around the 22nd to be home with the girls.By the way a nice little chrismass treat for all you unlucky enough not to be out there for Crimbo, Argos has a CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN in this years book. £49.95p. Go on treat yourselves.

Liesa you will have to make sure you are reeeeeally good and ask Santa reeeeeally nicely and I am sure he will get you there.

Norma

erowlands
23-10-2005, 01:11
Just worked it out! bit slow at this time of night,22 times since 1992,usually been one a year but since we bought our home last year have been eight times,looking forward to January! Eric

jpusa66
27-10-2005, 00:55
Hi,
Have just thought about it and we have been 14 times. The first time we went to Florida was in 1996 and I was 4 months pregnant with our daughter, so althought she tells everyone it is 13 times she has been really she was there the first time as well. We to are looking forward to January when hopefully we can get over to see our new villa.
Regards
Julia

freddiehollie
28-10-2005, 01:26
We have been 15 times now. Booked 16th for next May. About to book for christmas/new year 06/07.
Twins been twice (three times if you count in mums tum) They love it!

carynwillson
12-11-2005, 12:02
We have been going once a year since 1996 - twice 1999 and now we have purchased, been 6 times in the last twelve months. Cant wait till January when we are back again

Genie
12-11-2005, 13:18
16 times and we off again next Friday. 1989 the first time every 2 years twice then every year, then we bought the villa 18 months ago and it twice a year for 3 weeks at a time. People often say don't we get fed up with Florida but I'm like so many other owners well and truely hooked !!

LiesaAnna
12-11-2005, 13:33
well we dont nor ever will be villa owners so wont get the chance to go out as often as most of you, but do enjoy every time we have been out!! cant think of anywhere nicer then florida and in a beautiful villa!!!
oh i can imagine it 10 months from now:D:D:D:D[|)][|)][|)][|)]

Macka
14-11-2005, 18:04
I think about 20 times, can't be sure, not often enough.:)

CarolAnn
15-11-2005, 16:17
Think I would have to answer " Not enough too;) " This was the first year we managed twice in one year!! Count myself as lucky for that!!:)

badabing
16-11-2005, 20:20
Sept-Oct 96 Villa @ Beunaventurra Lakes
Oct 97 Villa @ Remmington Pointe
Oct-Nov 01 Villa @ Royal Palms
Dec 03- Jan 04 Villa @ Hillcrest
Dec 04- Jan 05 Villa @ Hillcrest
Dec 05 - Jan 06 Villa @ ?

neild292
25-11-2005, 17:06
Glad to say it will trip no 6 in Feb

sheenallan
01-12-2005, 02:44
16 plus ,4 for our grandson who is 3 ,but still we love it, and we have not seen a quarter of Florida its so big, all our friends say NOT FLORIDA again,they just don't understand the magic!!!.
Sheena

zx6r
14-05-2006, 22:28
First time 2001,2003,2004,2005 and again 2006 17th June 06

Just love it
[msnsmile2]
Greer

floridageoff
15-05-2006, 01:01
We too have lost count of the number of visits since our first time in 1990 but I do know it adds up to more than a year.

russell148
16-05-2006, 00:58
14 times

Russell

G Lazell
28-05-2006, 21:35
Not nearly enough [msntongue]

Our first visit was in 2003. We loved it so much we went straight home and put a deposit on a plot of land and stayed in our new villa for the first time in 2005.

Can't wait until we go back in September.

Tracey and Graham

blott
28-05-2006, 22:03
We're currently in Florida again (lucky us! [msnsmile2]) and never get tired of it as there are loads of places even we haven't visited yet.

chrizzy100
28-05-2006, 22:21
I go about 5 times a year...sometimes just for the weekend...or for 3 weeks or more....

ShirleyD
28-05-2006, 23:59
We first went in 1981 and have lost count of our trips since then

Magical Dreams
14-06-2006, 16:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
Does that mean three times or more Phil & Mel.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

David Soul fans maybe?

[msnsmile2]

becbecs
14-06-2006, 17:45
4 times for us but hopefully will make it 5 this year

jackie greaves
14-06-2006, 20:10
We first went in 1991 when I was 3 months pregnant. Did a week in Orlando and a week in Bahamas. Lost count of the times we have been since, although never back to the Bahamas[msnsad]

orlandochris
06-01-2007, 23:30
3 times for me - May 1997, Xmas 1999 & Xmas 2002.

Going again in June this year.:)

Tonish
07-01-2007, 03:41
My first trip was with my parents when I was about 13. I don't think I've gone longer than about 2 years since then without a trip, and occasionally 2 trips in a year. I'm about to reach the youthful age of 45 later this month, so if I was to guess at the total number of trips, I would say about 25.

We've seen an awful lot of changes over the years. I have to say, nothing compares to the first trip, where we flew into Miami, drove across the everglades, worked up the Gulf coast and finished with a trip to Disney. As a teenager growing up in Belfast, the first experience of America was a real eye opener and a culture shock it's hard to imagine nowadays. It's hard to describe the astonishment at the way of life; the huge cars, the different cultures, shopping malls, diners open for breakfast, blueberry pancakes and maple syrup. All of these things were new to us and incomparable to grey, bleak Belfast.

We had travelled as a family throughout Europe every summer for many years prior to this, and reckoned we had seen a lot, but the comparatively wealthy lifestyle of the average American, was genuinely incredible to us.

I've never got over it and have been a huge fan of the place ever since, even though I don't think it's a patch on what it used to be and I'm often disappointed by much of the change since.