PDA

View Full Version : Passport question

jan bendle
10-01-2005, 19:06
<span style="color:blue"></span id="blue">i am travelling in June this year, from the UK, by which time I will only have 6 mths to go on my 10 year passport. Is this going to be a problem? Someone has told me I need to have more than 6mths left on it.
it is a barcoded one as i got a replacement when I put the children on.

amy
10-01-2005, 19:13
You can apply for a new one if you are worried and have the six months from your old passport added to the new one, we did it last year and they where back in around 2 weeks.

jan bendle
10-01-2005, 19:23
thanks Amy, that is what i am tempted to do while i still have time.

blott
10-01-2005, 20:49
Your children need separate passports of their own now for travel to the USA. So when you renew your passport, get one for each of them at the same time.

steph_goodrum
10-01-2005, 22:37
As Blott says Jan you have to have separate passports for EACH person travelling, so you haven't got a choice you have to get new passports for the children so will automatically get a new one for yourself but to get the new 10 year validity will have to pay for a new one for yourself as well.

jan bendle
11-01-2005, 01:32
the children have already got there own as they go abroard more often than me.
my son is away 3 times with school and scouts before we go on our family holiday (kids today eh? they don know they are born)
i just wondered if this 6 mth minimum left on your passport was a myth or not?

BillyBoy
11-01-2005, 02:00
i have a similar problem,i only have 3 months left so will be interested to see the replies.[msncool]

Jo
11-01-2005, 02:26
Thes two bits have been pasted form the American Embassy in London's website. Hopefully they have got it right!

[u]Passport Validity:</u> If traveling under the Visa Waiver Program, the passport must be valid for at least 90 days from the date on which the holder enters the United States. If not, the holder will be admitted until the expiration date on the passport. Note: Passport holders from Andorra, Brunei, and San Marino must be in possession of a passport valid for at least six months from the date of departure from the United States, even if traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

[u]British Passport Holders Note:</u> British passports which contain the exception extension stamp extending the validity of the passport for two years are valid for travel to the United States. The stamp reads: "This passport is hereby exceptionally extended valid until (DATE)" and is preceded by either the words "Passport Office", if extended by a U.K. Post Office, or "Passport Office, London", if extended by the Passport Office in either Liverpool, Peterborough, Newport, Glasgow, Belfast or London.

jan bendle
11-01-2005, 02:36
thanks Jo, useful information.
I think i will get myself a new one anyway, just to be on the safe side.Dont want any worries with this holiday.
Just got to wade through all those forms to send off for a new one now.
[zzz]

steph_goodrum
11-01-2005, 11:45
"it is a barcoded one as i got a replacement when I put the children on."

That's the bit that confused us Jan as there was nothing to say you had got the children their own.

jan bendle
11-01-2005, 12:11
ok, when i had my daughter 7 years ago i had her put on my ten year passport and so they sent me a new one then which was barcoded.
about 2 years ago my son was going abroard on his own so needed his own passport so i had the children taken off mine and they got their own. I still had about 3 years left on mine then.
does that make sense?