PDA

View Full Version : swollen ankles

hurricanesarah
10-01-2005, 02:45
I hate long flights. Everytime i fly to florida i get really badly swollen ankles. I mean like i can literally hear a squishing sound when i walk. I try walking during the flights, doing imaginary circles with my feet and everytime i get off the plane i am the only one whose shoes wont fit back on and i end up walking barefoot down into the airport!! it lasts for like two or three days too! What causes this and anyone got any advice?
Thanks

LiesaAnna
10-01-2005, 02:55
mine swell and invested in scholls flight socks, they make my legs feel great, so far no probs, ( i am very worried about DVT as my mum passed away due to that!) its the only time my legs have anything on them, what about your GP can they advise you?
must say my legs feel really good after each flight, and as most know i have the baddie knee,apart from the pain in my knee, and as the socks dont cover them i at least know that my legs will feel fine....

hurricanesarah
10-01-2005, 03:44
i havent had flight socks yet i just use those freebie ones that i get from the pack on the plane! im so [bad language filtered out] cheap! But i should do and yes i have the same fears as you do. I've never seen any person ever whose ankles swell like what mine do. you literally cant see my ankles its like my legs are the same size all the way down!!

hurricanesarah
10-01-2005, 03:45
wow i got a word edited out? it wasnt bad!

jolliffee
10-01-2005, 03:56
The answer is :- Flight Socks (Scholl are best), they may sound like poo but believe me they work we put them on before we get on the plane and take them off at the villa. Don't know they are on after half an hour...[sporty]

Ray&Sarah
10-01-2005, 11:54
I will have to give these a go as my ankles have a tendency to swell too.[msnsmile2]

MaggieAllan
10-01-2005, 13:14
I started using the Scholl flight socks this year and WOW what a difference!! I was the same as you and couldn't put shoes back on, and the same when I got home for a day or so. One word of warning..they are slippy on tiled flooring, as I found out!!!

LiesaAnna
10-01-2005, 13:27
but great! i dont wear anything on my legs ever, dont like it, but them i forget theyre on after a short while!

Nostromo
10-01-2005, 13:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hurricanesarah
I hate long flights. Everytime i fly to florida i get really badly swollen ankles. I mean like i can literally hear a squishing sound when i walk. I try walking during the flights, doing imaginary circles with my feet and everytime i get off the plane i am the only one whose shoes wont fit back on and i end up walking barefoot down into the airport!! it lasts for like two or three days too! What causes this and anyone got any advice?Thanks
[/quote]

The pressure within your leg veins increases due to stasis while sitting or standing for long periods, leading to accumulation of fluid in your ankles. As has been said, Scholl stockings are loads better than the cheap in-flight ones, but Boots also do their own brand that is as good as Scholl and a bit cheaper.

Ray&Sarah
10-01-2005, 14:11
Thats worth knowing Nostromo, thanks, will check out the boots brand.[msnsmile]

jolliffee
10-01-2005, 21:00
Pamela prefers Boots but I don't think they have the bigger size I need or they didn't. Not much in the price either.