PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Demolition

Snapper
09-01-2005, 20:26
I'm just watching a show on Discovery about imploding hotels in Las Vegas.

When they dropped the Sands hotel, Steve Wynn (the then owner of the Mirage Group) timed the opening of the Treasure Island to co-incide with the demolition. They had the show timed so that one of the canons of the pirate ship fired and then the pyrotechnics and special effects went off on the Sands as it was imploding.

The snippet of knowledge that caught my ear was that as part of the show there was a $1m firework display. It kind of makes Illuminations and Wishes seem cheap. Now that would be a photo assignment!!!

Nostromo
09-01-2005, 21:16
Demolition of a LV hotel is always a special event and very well attended. I understand that the implosion of the Hacienda a few years ago was the most spectacular so far. I expect the 52 year old Sahara will be next and Tropicana and Bally's are probably not far behind. So Snapper, keep your cameras handy. ;);)

Snapper
09-01-2005, 21:31
Errrrrrr - didn't the Sahara go about 4 or 5 years ago. There's a whole new one there now, still called the Sahara. I'm sure you are right with the Tropicana. It looks a bit like the poor cousin on that intersection now that you've got New York and the re-furb'd MGM on opposite sides of the road.

Nostromo
09-01-2005, 21:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
Errrrrrr - didn't the Sahara go about 4 or 5 years ago. There's a whole new one there now, still called the Sahara. I'm sure you are right with the Tropicana. It looks a bit like the poor cousin on that intersection now that you've got New York and the re-furb'd MGM on opposite sides of the road.
[/quote]

The old Sahara seemed to be still standing when we went to LV for the Millennium bash. If it was demolished afterwards, I missed it. In any case, with Tropicana, Bally's and a few others closing on their sell-by dates, you are spoilt for choice. :D

Michele L
10-01-2005, 02:03
I love Vegas. Haven't been for a few years but can't wait till I do - Bellagios for me

Michele