PDA

View Full Version : Drink Driving.

Mick-H
08-01-2005, 04:30
I know this has been covered a good few times and I hope you don't mind me going over old ground again.
I had a drink drive conviction some 22 years ago, no longer on my license bla bla, I've been to Florida 3 times and I/we going again in March.
I have never declared this during our 3 other visits, first visit was in 01, I know things have changed since our last visit in that they now do prints and photo, sooooooooooo
question is do I declare it or not?

wiljohn
08-01-2005, 12:23
Any arrests "must be declared",the choice therefore is yours,do you apply for a B2 visa or not.

Magical Dreams
10-01-2005, 10:24
I wouldn't have to declare it!

I would have a flashing NEON sign on my head telling them!!

I'm one of those who looks guilty for no reason when passing through Immigration and security!!

I set off the alarm going through the metal detector last year and ended up stood like a starfish
in a plastic see through security check box while this guy give me the once over!!

I could see it in my mind, I was going to the clink!! lol

[lucky]

Take advice on it so you know what you should do!
Its not worth spoiling your holiday!
[clap]

Nostromo
10-01-2005, 10:51
Since there was an arrest and conviction, you absolutely have to declare it and apply for a visa. But bear in mind that the fact that you entered twice before without declaring the old conviction might become an issue.

SG
10-01-2005, 12:01
We have just gone throught the process of applying for a visa as we both had a very old (over 22 years) conviction for driving without due care and attention. We have visited the US many times under the visa waiver scheme and had not realised we needed a visa. The most difficult part was finding details of the conviction as I couldn't remember the exact date of the court hearing for mine. We were concerned that they might query why we had entered without applying for a visa before but that was not mentioned and we were granted our visa's :)

Mick, if you would like any details feel free to DM me.

Robert5988
10-01-2005, 14:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We have just gone throught the process of applying for a visa as we both had a very old (over 22 years) conviction for driving without due care and attention. We have visited the US many times under the visa waiver scheme and had not realised we needed a visa. The most difficult part was finding details of the conviction as I couldn't remember the exact date of the court hearing for mine. We were concerned that they might query why we had entered without applying for a visa before but that was not mentioned and we were granted our visa's
[/quote]

Driving without due care and attention does not normally result in an arrest- you are normally reported for such an an offence.

As minor traffic offences are exempt in the Visa Waiver Scheme(VWS) most people could still enter under the VWS with a conviction for driving without due care and attention.

However Drink Driving charges normally do involve an arrest.

SG
10-01-2005, 15:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We have just gone throught the process of applying for a visa as we both had a very old (over 22 years) conviction for driving without due care and attention. We have visited the US many times under the visa waiver scheme and had not realised we needed a visa. The most difficult part was finding details of the conviction as I couldn't remember the exact date of the court hearing for mine. We were concerned that they might query why we had entered without applying for a visa before but that was not mentioned and we were granted our visa's
[/quote]

Driving without due care and attention does not normally result in an arrest- you are normally reported for such an an offence.

As minor traffic offences are exempt in the Visa Waiver Scheme(VWS) most people could still enter under the VWS with a conviction for driving without due care and attention.

[/quote]

Not according to the US Embassy!!!!! As I understand it any driving offence that resulted in a court hearing (which our driving without due care and attention did) requires a visa.

Robert5988
10-01-2005, 16:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Not according to the US Embassy!!!!! As I understand it any driving offence that resulted in a court hearing (which our driving without due care and attention did) requires a visa.[/quote]
From the US Embassy website:

Note: Travelers with minor traffic offenses which did not result in an arrest and/or conviction for the offense may travel visa free, provided they are otherwise qualified.

Mick-H
10-01-2005, 17:17
Out of interest,
How would they find out?
Where is the information stored?
If it's on the passport why have they not picked up on it during my 3 other visits?
Do you know of anyone that has not declared it being refused entry?
Many thanks for your replies.

florida4sun
10-01-2005, 18:20
The info is kept on national records, they can now search this if they choose to. When you board in the uk your passport is swiped.This info goes stright to the arrival airport and they can start doing background checks while you are in the air.
We had one person who had recived a warning (not arrested) for using cannabis when they were young. Poor guy got turned round and sent back, he wasnt even aware this was officially on his record:(

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mick-H
Out of interest,
How would they find out?
Where is the information stored?
If it's on the passport why have they not picked up on it during my 3 other visits?
Do you know of anyone that has not declared it being refused entry?
Many thanks for your replies.
[/quote]

JamesG
15-01-2005, 07:45
And do you think he'd got into the U.S if he went for a visa first?

Nostromo
15-01-2005, 13:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by JamesG
And do you think he'd got into the U.S if he went for a visa first?
[/quote]

If he came clean and applied for a visa, then at least there is a chance. But if he gets caught and turned back, further visa applications could be compromised.

Robert5988
15-01-2005, 13:56
Well Sir Mark Thatcher now won't be able to use the Vias Waiver Scheme to visit his wife and children who live in America.

Wonder if he will have a problem getting a Visa? Expect not!!!!

Nostromo
15-01-2005, 15:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
Well Sir Mark Thatcher now won't be able to use the Vias Waiver Scheme to visit his wife and children who live in America.

Wonder if he will have a problem getting a Visa? Expect not!!!!
[/quote]

Well, one never knows. Being a celebrity and on the wrong side of the law (or even publicity, as Harry found out) can be a bigger disadvantage sometimes than being just Mr or Ms Ordinary - at least in Britain. The British press will be watching every move Mark Thatcher makes and I don't think he'll be able to rest that easy.

blott
15-01-2005, 16:33
Don't forget that his wife is a US citizen though.

Nostromo
15-01-2005, 17:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Don't forget that his wife is a US citizen though.
[/quote]

Even so, does that guarantee entry into the US? It may not apply in Mark Thatcher's case, but if a non-American is found guilty of doing something that is considered to be in direct conflict with US national interests, won't he/she be declared "persona non-grata" or whatever they call it even if the spouse is an American?

blott
15-01-2005, 17:50
Possibly not Nostromo. I think it's a stronger case for entry if you have a current spouse who is a US citizen and is living in the USA.

Nostromo
15-01-2005, 18:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Possibly not Nostromo. I think it's a stronger case for entry if you have a current spouse who is a US citizen and is living in the USA.
[/quote]

Thank goodness! Otherwise, we could have a scenario where OBL marries an American and ends up delivering pizzas to the White House!