PDA

View Full Version : visa lottery

RUSHBURY
06-01-2005, 03:46
Just applied for the visa lottery as my husbands father is Italian. Keeping my fingers crossed for this.

huckleberry house
06-01-2005, 10:34
Good luck Helen, I have everything crossed for you [grouphug]

Lesley

Robby
06-01-2005, 12:07
Good luck to you, we hope it wont take too long
Rob & Linda

Cruella DeVilla
06-01-2005, 13:03
Good luck! My family are originally from NI so hope this qualifies me when the time is right!

jolliffee
06-01-2005, 17:21
Good luck, I hope yours comes out the hat; I tried for this but I don't qualify.[msncry]

jeff66
14-01-2005, 16:14
NI does not qualify..... Nor does UK!

There was a company taking £80 from Brits to enter them, I enquired, but it all sounded a bit fishy!
A few months later I had an e mail from FBI.. It was a scam!

Best of luck Helen.... They are shutting the lottery down in the future :(

esprit
14-01-2005, 20:01
Beg to differ with you. The UK is ineligible EXCEPT for Northern Ireland for the 2006 lottery ( which just closed anyway). See below, this is cut and pasted from the US Dept of State website, I do agree there have been some thoroughly and deliverately misleading private ones.

"For DV-2006, natives of the following countries are not eligible to apply because they sent a total of more than 50,000 immigrants to the U.S. in the previous five years:

CANADA, CHINA (mainland-born), COLOMBIA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, EL SALVADOR, HAITI, INDIA, JAMAICA, MEXICO, PAKISTAN, PHILIPPINES, RUSSIA, SOUTH KOREA, UNITED KINGDOM (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and VIETNAM. Persons born in Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are eligible"

kebab
25-10-2005, 16:48
Don't understand this. Does that mean that as both my parents are Portuguese I can apply for the visa lottery?

Ana

florida4sun
25-10-2005, 22:21
Yes you can and its free!!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kebab
Don't understand this. Does that mean that as both my parents are Portuguese I can apply for the visa lottery?

Ana
[/quote]

davbak
19-03-2006, 01:29
i have applied through my southern irish passport and am really hopeful that i get it but wot a wait for it to happen

MICKEYSDEN
19-03-2006, 23:00
My hubby has an Irish passport and we were told to try the lottery, where and how do you apply.

blott
20-03-2006, 02:27
Try here. http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/dvinfo.html

And here's the form. http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

MICKEYSDEN
20-03-2006, 10:02
Thanks Blott.

wrpac00
20-03-2006, 20:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
Yes you can and its free!!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kebab

Ana
[/quote]
[/quote]

That's not exactly what it says on the US embassy website link that Blott posted. It says:-

Eligibility to apply for this Program is determined by a person's place of birth not citizenship or residence.

and:-

If you were born in an ineligible country, but your spouse was not, you can claim your spouse's country of birth instead of your own, provided you and your spouse will immigrate to the United States together. Both you and your spouse can submit individual entries. If you were born in a country where neither parent was born or residing at the time, you may be able to claim one of their countries of birth.

That sounds to me that you have to have been born in that country but you MAY be able to claim your parents birth place.

The 2007 visa lottery closed in December.

vanessag
05-04-2006, 06:53
Does anyone know why UK citizens arent allowed to apply?

Ray9
05-04-2006, 08:48
UK citizens are not eligible to apply because they sent a total of more than 50,000 immigrants to the U.S. in the previous five years:

esprit
07-04-2006, 04:19
Too many of us. Youve heard of Little Britain well..... I heard there was a big allocation for Nigeria this time.