PDA

View Full Version : Universal for Nervous 6 year old

ringwood1
04-01-2005, 20:07
Planning on going to Universal but we have a very nervous 6 year old who gets worried about the rides before going on them. By the time he is on the ride he is so worked up that he doesn't enjoy it. Would we be wasting our time going to Universal or is there enough to do without going on all the rides.[drinkpepsi]

daxon
04-01-2005, 21:42
Have you tried looking at the Florida Guides on each of the above sites & on the ticket link? They have some articles written by Florida visitors which may give you a greater insite into each park. Try the two below for starters - of course each to their own but our younger ones tend to find more to do at Universal than Islands of Adventure.

http://www.park-tickets.com/florida-attraction-guide/universal-studios-orlando.aspx

http://www.park-tickets.com/florida-attraction-guide/islands-of-adventure.aspx

Nostromo
04-01-2005, 22:28
Actually, there is a lot more in Universal Studios than just rides, and for all ages. Moreover, your posting suggests that the rest of you will miss US if your little boy does not go - which would be a crying shame. I suggest that you plan to go to BOTH parts of Universal (Studios & IoA).

At Universal Studios, your son could see like shows like Jimmy Neutron, Shrek 4-D etc as well as have a great time in the several attractions in Woody Woodpecker's Kidzone. If he seems amenable, you can try him out on slightly more 'adventurous' rides like Men in Black, Twister and Back to the Future. I would avoid Terminator as it might scare him and he'll be off limits (heightwise) for the Mummy ride anyway. The rest of you could 'baby swap' in turn to go on the rides yourselves, without undue extra wait.

At Islands of Adventure, there are specific kid rides anyway for use while the adults and bravehearts at the biggies. Start with Suess Landing (a kid friendly island) and go anti-clockwise, as we always do. Other islands also have one or two kiddie rides and areas like Flying Unicorn, Camp Jurassic, Me Ship-the Olive and so on. He may even be able to join you on family rides like Popeye & Bluto's Barge. As I said, there is plenty to see and do.

dodgey memory
17-01-2005, 21:04
The first time we went to Florida our daughter was a nervous 10 year old. She went on Back to the Future and was terrified. All the rides after that were viewed with suspicion and fear. It spoilt most of them for her and needless to say us as well. She had to be let out of Earthquake sobbing! Universal has some brilliant rides but some with a scare factor. The buid up however is usually worse than the actual ride. I wouldnt bother with IOA the childs area is lovely but practically every thing else in the park is geared up for the thrill seekers. Unless you want to do these as adults and use the baby swap option. I personally wouldn't bother and go to the Magic Kingdom instead. There will be plenty of time when your child is older!

Ray&Sarah
17-01-2005, 21:45
Our son has always been very nervous of all theme park rides, this stems back to taking him on "Honey I Shrank the Audience" when he was 4. He is now 12 and we went to Universal Studios in August last year and for him it was a bit of a waste of money. He didn't really go on much and so we spent most of the day just waiting for his dad and older brother to queue for rides. Having said that he is a bit big for the younger childrens rides and shows which a 6 year old might enjoy.[msnsmile2]

ringwood1
23-01-2005, 03:49
Are the rides really that scary or could we just see how it goes. A lot of his anxiety is in his mind - we took him on rides to early and the fear has stayed. Our fault for being big kids and expecting our children to be fearless.

Nostromo
23-01-2005, 13:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ringwood1
Are the rides really that scary or could we just see how it goes. A lot of his anxiety is in his mind - we took him on rides to early and the fear has stayed. Our fault for being big kids and expecting our children to be fearless.

[/quote]

It depends on what you mean by 'scary'. Rollercoasters are 'scary' but you know what to expect, except where CGI animation is mixed like 'The Mummy'. Your son will not be the requisite height for such rides anyway. As I said before, IoA has some midler alternatives alongside most big rides to appease small kids (and those too scared to ride the biggies). Attractions like Twister and Terminator are not rides per se but a 6-year old is likely to be scared by the loud special effects. You may have to use the 'baby swap' facility on such occasions.

ringwood1
23-01-2005, 22:00
Okay, think I am still tempted to try out Universal but will go to IoA too. Silly thing is I hadn't planned on doing the theme parks this visit but I am already starting to plan what parks we could see and what rides to go on. Must be this site, it gets you in the mood.

christhear
23-01-2005, 23:00
There are quite a few rides at Universal that he could do. ET, Jimmy Neutron, Jaws, Shrek 4D, Woodpecker Coaster and lots of playing in the Curious George area. I think MIB would also be OK. I have a very un-nervous 7 year old that drags me on everything. I'm dreading him reaching 54" as then I can't even use his height as an excuse not to go on things[msncry][msncry]

ringwood1
23-01-2005, 23:44
Hi Christine,

Shame we can't swop as I love the scariest rides and thought the children would be an excuse to go on them, but it is just me jumping up and down and saying "can we, can we, please can we". My husband doesn't like the fast rides either and is quite happy not to go on anything that looks remotely fast or dangerous.