PDA

View Full Version : Something Special

Snapper
04-01-2005, 03:10
First off, thanks heaps for all the nice words for all the previous photos. I'm so glad you enjoyed them.

I think the saying, 'save the best till last' applies to this one. This isn't intentional as this pic was taken on my last night in Orlando, but as things work out I think it's the best, on both artistic and technical levels. There is also a bit of Disney magic lurking in there too.

As with all the previous photos, this one is straight off the flash card and has not been manipulated, adjusted, or photoshopped in any way. That also includes digital effects applied by the camera. There aren't any. None. Which I think gives a nice twist, in that one can have all this amazing kit, but yet the best photo of the lot is the one where everything automatic is switched off and all the twiddlers are set manually.

Hope you like it ...

Snapper
04-01-2005, 03:11
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Snapper/200513231127_DSC_0383.jpg

LiesaAnna
04-01-2005, 03:13
well..............words...........amazing i just love the photos that you have taken and shared with us a very big "thankyou"
[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]
[beer][msnwink]

i couldnt actually tell you which one was best they were all fantastic!!!!!!!!

Nostromo
04-01-2005, 10:57
I agree that it is a fantastic picture, Snapper. Obviously, it was at MGM, but how did you get that 'rotating' effect in the background?

jolliffee
04-01-2005, 12:45
Steve what a delicious image, it is made all the better because it was the human interface that produced it, rather than the digital trickery we have available.

No how long do we have to wait before you go over again.
[msnsmile2]

04-01-2005, 17:40
Steve,

It is truly fantastic!! Wow!![clap]

daxon
04-01-2005, 19:20
hi steve would ask u how u did it, but no that u wud tell me and i wudnt understand! [msntongue]

MaggieAllan
04-01-2005, 19:49
Steve thank you for sharing what I could only dream of achieving.

Cruella DeVilla
04-01-2005, 20:32
Woooooow, Thought it was the banned snap for a mo!!;)

Snapper
04-01-2005, 21:00
For Nostromo and Daxon, the description of how to do it is quite easy, executing it is a tad tricky.

You get the blurring/twisting type effect by zooming a zoom lens while the photo is being taken. It's a beautiful effect when it works and is a bit of an eye-catcher as it looks digitally enhanced but because it is all optical the image stays really stable and focused.

All you need to try one of these are a tripod, a steady hand, a lens that will let you zoom while the camera's shutter is open, and a bit of patience. Take loads and loads as ultimately some will work and some won't.

It also works well if you have a subject with pin-points of light. I did a couple of the Dove at Epcot after the fireworks. Hang on a mo and I'll jpeg one to show the difference ...

Snapper
04-01-2005, 21:03
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Snapper/20051417324_DSC_0458.jpg

daxon
04-01-2005, 21:29
Thats beautiful!!!!
(Dont think my old Olympus trip & shaky hands quite qualifiy for the minimum requirements tho!)[msnembarrased]

Nostromo
04-01-2005, 22:12
Thanks for the tech info Snapper. WOW! The Epcot one is a brilliant picture too. Could be a 'Firebird' caption of some kind.

LiesaAnna
04-01-2005, 23:36
another gorgeus one![clap]

KJH
05-01-2005, 03:05
Brilliant as per the norm[8D]

MaggieAllan
05-01-2005, 12:22
the dove is my favourite so far Snapper

brizzle
05-01-2005, 15:25
Uggh, it's all blurry..;)

Seriously though, when you said you were going to try this effect I knew it was going to look good but couldn't imagine it would look so spectacular.
I also love the Dove one, especially as that area around the archway is one of my favourite places to be in Disney at Christmas. I can hear the music being played just looking at the picture.

Brizzle.

Snapper
05-01-2005, 15:54
The Dove was a real bugger to photograph as it was really difficult to frame it without getting lots of coloured areas, that kind of spoiled the effect.

I think the plan for next year is to try the same thing again but maybe add a tiny bit of fill-flash so that it picks out the Dove a bit better. I do wonder if I could also frame it looking back more towards the archways, which might fill in the top of the photo with lights and turn it into an awesome pic.

I also want to try the same thing with the bronze statue of Mickey and Walt in front of the castle in MK.

The ultimate, I think, if it worked, would be to use this technique during Wishes. I think the timing for the Wishes shot would have to be perfect. You'd need a really long exposure I think and ideally use the first 2-3 seconds of this to burn in a clear image of the castle, then have the shells explode, then zoom the lens to 'explode' the explosions. I think it would work best on a still night with no wind so that the fireworks don't drift too much. If everything came together it would be a competition winning photo ... but it could drive you mad with despair trying if all the elements don't fit together. Another project for later this year maybe.

Then there are the possibilities for playing around with a few filters like starbursts or chromatics; and goodness only knows what you could do with a bit of imagination in PhotoShop.

You could spend your whole life photographing Disney and never ever finish. What a great place!!

LiesaAnna
05-01-2005, 16:08
maybe an OV calender for next year with proceeds going...............

brizzle
05-01-2005, 16:10
I know what you mean about being able to photo Disney, and in fact Florida, for ages and never finish. Around every corner is a new view or angle on something.
After I'd been three times this year, and getting the obligatory normal castle shots etc, I decided to try some alternative shots this year and some came out OK.

Just to confirm was this picture taken by zooming in or zooming out during the exposure?
Not sure if my camera will allow zoom whilst the shutter is open but I think I may well try after seeing the results.

Brizzle.

Snapper
05-01-2005, 16:39
They were both zooming in (things getting bigger).

There's nothing to stop a bit of experimentation zooming in too. Personally I find that zooming in is much harder to control and much easier to lose definition. Then again, with these types of photos it's really so much down to personal preference and taste. I've got a shot of the Dove that was zoomed out rather than in. Hang on a mo ...

Snapper
05-01-2005, 16:40
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Snapper/200515124040_DSC_0452.jpg

LiesaAnna
05-01-2005, 16:49
again lovely think i prefer this one! its beautiful!!!!!

dont know why, keep going back and forth........

brizzle
05-01-2005, 17:19
I think I prefer this one too, not sure why.
I know the other one had more definition of the dov but this ones seems to have more life!!

jingleton
06-01-2005, 03:51
Fantastic pics Steve my husband says u should b able to sell that first one? Very clever.

Janet

Magical Dreams
06-01-2005, 17:00
As usual words can't describe your photo's.

Its hard to believe that these have not been tampered with to give such dramitic effects.

But hey, that the Magic of FLORIDA!!