PDA

View Full Version : 1 night in Washington DC - hotels?

Katys Grandad
02-01-2005, 22:38
I will be making a 1 night stopover in Washington in March so I'll be there about a day and a half. I will have my elderly mother with me (Katy's Great-Grandmother!!) so I am looking for a safe area and comfortable hotel near major sights.

I don't want to spend a fortune but location and safety are more important than cost.

Any suggestions please?

adh619
02-01-2005, 22:50
Try around dupont circle, close to the metro etc. I have a web site I use for hotels etc. Not sure I am allowed to list it here so please DM me if you want it.

Tony

esprit
02-01-2005, 22:55
We stayed at the Omni Shoreham which is quite near the zoo. This is one of the worlds great hotels. It is where Jack Kennedy used to romance Jackie before they wed, the walls are covered with pictures of famous people who stayed there, the Beatles and Nelson Mandela spring to mind but there were loads. It is an older hotel full of character with a foyer full of chinoiserie and antiques and a grand piano. Nice pool too. And I remember within walking distance of a subway station. I dont remember how much but we stayed for three nights about five years ago when it was 1.5 dollars to the £ so I am guessing it is affordable at nearly 2. If you are only going to be there one night, I would splash out and go somewhere really nice.

foreplay
04-01-2005, 04:32
I visit Washington quite often on business, and I have found that the downtown hotels are at premium prices with very little extra to merit the tariff. Have a look at the Arlington Hilton Garden Inn. It is less than a block from the Metro (subway) and is in a very nice area. There are several very good restaurants nearby, one of which is Tom Sarris's Orleans House, about a 1/2 mile from the hotel. Great prime rib and an excellent salad bar. If the link I have attached works, it will take you to their site. If not, you can find them on the web without much problem. Rates are about 1/2 of those in the downtown area. It is less than 2 miles from the centre of DC and very easy to get back and forth.

<link to site offering travel services removed>

caseyd
06-01-2005, 20:21
I live in D.C. area (20 yrs) and have my office in D.C. What sights are you interested in? The WHite House, Capitol, Monuments, and Mall area? If so, try the JW Marriott for reasonable rates and great location, right on PA Ave. It is a large full service hotel. I frequently book business people who come to see me there. Also, the Willard is a very historic nice hotel around the corner from the JW Marriott. Great locations for a quick trip. Will you be coming into Dulles or National airports?
I respectfully disagree w/the idea of not staying in DC. You only have a short time and don't want to be navigating the metro (subway) w/an elderly mother. From the hotels I mentioned you can easily and inexpensively cab to anywhere you want to go close by, and you will be right in the middle of the best sites for a one day stopover.

Katys Grandad
14-01-2005, 22:47
Thanks to everyone for the information. Plenty of good choices to think about now!