PDA

View Full Version : Teabags?

jingleton
02-01-2005, 19:09
Can anyone recommend a decent tea? (preferably not ones bought from the UK!!!) As all the teabags we've used so far are like dishwater!

Thanks, Janet.

blott
02-01-2005, 19:32
You can get British type tea in Publix on the 'ethnic food' section! Best thing is to get everyone who comes over that you know to bring you loads. :)

jingleton
02-01-2005, 20:07
Thanks Blott have had a look in Publix perhaps Im not looking in right place. We are now thinking of going to decaf coffee in desperation!!!
Janet

CarolAnn
02-01-2005, 21:07
I gave up on Tea Janet!!! Though not addicted back at home to be fair! I use the excuse of the warm weather and wondering around Tourist areas,theme Parks,or being on the beach as my reason for drinking lots of water!!! Believe it or not....I lose weight when we are there, even when there is so much good stuff to eat while in Florida:)

KevinT
02-01-2005, 21:49
Hi Janet,
There's a small "British shop" at Old Town on the 192 that has UK items that you can not get elsewhere but the problem is that you will probably have to pay around double what you would expect to pay in the UK! I am sure I saw Taylors "Yorkshire Tea" , PG and Typhoo there last time. After reading your post again I wasn't sure whether you meant British tea as you said
"Preferably not ones bought from the UK". If you are looking for an American tea you may be in for a long search. Our relatives there are always thankful of fresh supplies when we visit.
[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
02-01-2005, 21:59
My wife insists on packing her own Tetley Tea bags for all our US trips, including Orlando. She refuses to drink any tea bought there.

jingleton
02-01-2005, 22:14
sorry for confusion. I meant not relying on relatives and friends bringing them over for us from the UK. We may switch to coffee although i dont mind drinking water, but do like a cuppa first thing. Will try old town. Thanks for replies.

Janet

jingleton
02-01-2005, 22:18
we are not really bothered about english tea bags, if there is a good american tea bag that has a bit of colour in it, that would help.

Janet

LiesaAnna
02-01-2005, 22:41
walmart has an English aisle, we found by accident! pg. tips, and all "normal stuff" its at the end of the american teabags/coffee/water aisle, the one that we used was the new one on highway 27, 192

LiesaAnna
02-01-2005, 22:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
You can get British type tea in Publix on the 'ethnic food' section! Best thing is to get everyone who comes over that you know to bring you loads. :)
[/quote]
we didnt think you were allowed to take it into the country! so we didnt take any when we went on holiday.....

the little British shop at Old Town was like $10 for a box of pg tips it is sooooooo expensive! look in walmart first!

esprit
02-01-2005, 23:07
Janet is in Lake Mary which isnt a tourist area hence her local Publix and WalMart wont have the little "ethnic" section which actually contains Brit food that the stores in Kissimmee have. I have noticed that when nipping in for Brit supplies whilst on my cleaning route, ie the Publix and WalMart in Orlando and Apopka etc dont have it.
So Janet, a little trip down to Kissimmee is needed to stock up. WalMart on 192 and the new one at Cagans Crossing have Brit sections as do the two Publixes down at the western end of 192 near the junction with 27 and the one on 27 south. Not sure about the rest but someone who shops at the eastern end of 192 will know.
In the Brit section, you can find British teabags ( but at a price), Branston Pickle at $4 a jar when it has a 38 pence sticker on it ( I still buy it because I am sad and cant live without it!!), HP brown sauce, salad cream. custard powder, marmite, canned curry sauce, Robinsons squashes, disgestive biscuits, mushy peas, Ambrosia rice pud ( I buy that too at well over $2 per tin!), assorted choc bars like flake and crunchie and occasionally even my beloved mint sauce.

jingleton
03-01-2005, 01:35
Thanks Julie i forgot to say where i was living doh!!!!

We will have to have a trip sdown i think although we are not missing anything yet as only been here 3 weeks, but im sure we will. Dont mind buying American equivalent if it tastes ok, but cant find any decent tea bags.

Janet

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-01-2005, 01:43
The Publix at Campbell City - just south of Kissimmee DownTown on the 17/92 also has the "ethnic" english section with tea bags and all manner of other goodies [msnsmile2]

jingleton
03-01-2005, 02:15
Thanks everyone for your help.The only problem is is that Kissimmee is 1 hour away from us. We were hoping there might be something nearer to us/
Clive (my husband) as just gone off to Albertsons, as we have been told they have english goodies. He wants some Squash.
Will let you know the outcome
Janet

jingleton
03-01-2005, 02:27
Clive has just got back from Albertsons with his carrier bag!!! he has lime cordial and has promptly poured himself a lager and lime!!!! baked beans tea bags were $8 he didnt get any im not paying that for a cup of tea. he says tey sell branston pickle and other bits so i will have a look tom.

Janet

esprit
03-01-2005, 06:14
Baked beans $1.70 in Kissimmmee. Teabags, I get my owners to bring me so I dont know the price.

Ray&Sarah
03-01-2005, 13:54
We always take our own tea bags with us, as they are quite expensive in Publix. Don't think I would object to paying the price for them if I had to on holiday but if I had to on a permenant basis because I lived there (I can dream) I think I would object. We have tried US tea on many occasions, many different brands but haven't yet found one like home.[msnsmile2]

daxon
03-01-2005, 16:45
We find that its also the taste of the water that makes tea in USA "taste funny". Try using filtered water out of the fridge if you have some & brew it for longer. Just cant do without at least 2 cups in the morning to get me going!!!

LiesaAnna
03-01-2005, 17:44
Dawn i know that feeling i downed gallons of tea in florida much more then i do at home! we used the filwater from the shop and my tea was great!