PDA

View Full Version : Problems accessing forum

Ruth
02-01-2005, 03:32
At the moment I can't get onto the forum using my regular ISP Tesco. However if I connect using my UK online pay as you go I can get on the forum with no problems. Could this be a speed of connection problem or does anyone have any other suggestions please[msnscared]

CASSIEANDMEG
02-01-2005, 13:59
Hi Ruth, our ISP is Tesco we have not had any problems with them, we have been with them a long time now. Don't have any suggestions what to try Bob

jolliffee
02-01-2005, 14:01
Difficult to be too specific, because you didn't say what browser you are using or what the error condition was?.
If your ISP has some links down then that would block you but since ISP's tend to have multiple routes it is very rare that you get blocked. I'm assuming the ISP did have a service so you could get to Google?

Otherwise you need to call your ISP Help Desk and report the error and see if they can access the forum. A simple answer would be try it again they may just have had an outage?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-01-2005, 14:44
When you say you are having problems with Tesco can you elaborate? What happens and what is not working?

Ruth
02-01-2005, 18:16
When I use UKonline I get straight onto the forum. When I use Tesco it takes ages and then I get the following error message:

[The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

I am using the same browser (IE) each time[msnscared]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
When you say you are having problems with Tesco can you elaborate? What happens and what is not working?
[/quote]

DarrenShort
02-01-2005, 21:52
Hi,

That sounds like a problem with the Tesco Routers, I would leave it an hour or 2 and then try again.

Ruth
02-01-2005, 23:48
It has been the same since we got back from Florida on Friday[msncry]It shows how much I like OV that I am paying as you go to get on[msnembarrased]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-01-2005, 23:56
It sounds like Tesco's DNS servers are habing problems.

In the first instance I would speak to Tesco tech support and tell them they have a DNS resolution problem with the domain www.orlando-guide.info and what do you need to do to get it resolved.

Ruth
03-01-2005, 01:00
Many thanks John, I will contact them

jolliffee
03-01-2005, 03:09
Ruth, you still have not told us iff you can access any site via Tesco; such as google??

If you can then it is possible you could fix this by erasing your cache and temp internet files, some times IE gets fixed on a path that it thinks is unavailable; clearing the cache may fix it. In IE: tools, Internet settings, gereral:-
delete cookies, delete (temp internet) files then clear history.

If you can not access anywhere from tesco tell us..

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-01-2005, 13:19
Good advice Dave.

Ruth
03-01-2005, 17:33
Yes, I can access most sites from Tesco. The only other one I seem to have a problem with is Ebay? I emailed them last night but have still not had a reply so i am still having to use my Pay as You Go:(Do I need to clear my cashe if I can access OV using the same IE as I am using for Tesco. Once I reconnect I just refresh the page with the error message on and get straight onto OV[msnscared]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-01-2005, 17:44
Can you try clearning the cache anyway as IE does have some odd and very obscure cache problems at times which do exhibit the kind of behaviour you are seeing.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ruth
Yes, I can access most sites from Tesco. The only other one I seem to have a problem with is Ebay? I emailed them last night but have still not had a reply so i am still having to use my Pay as You Go:(Do I need to clear my cashe if I can access OV using the same IE as I am using for Tesco. Once I reconnect I just refresh the page with the error message on and get straight onto OV[msnscared]
[/quote]

Ruth
03-01-2005, 20:29
Tesco told me to delete the temp internet files and history which I have done but it has not helped at all. I have emailed to tell them this and will see what they say this time[msnscared]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-01-2005, 21:18
Can you take a DOS prompt - Start &gt; Run &gt; cmd &gt; OK and then type the following:

ping www.orlando-guide.info

Let me know what it says - specifically the IP address it comes up with.

Tesco told me to delete the temp internet files and history which I have done but it has not helped at all. I have emailed to tell them this and will see what they say this time[msnscared]
[/quote]

Ruth
03-01-2005, 23:00
Is this what you mean John 69.20.57.202

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
04-01-2005, 00:15
That's what it should say. Was this using your Tesco connection and not the other one?

Is this what you mean John 69.20.57.202
[/quote]

Ruth
04-01-2005, 01:12
I did it with both John and it gave me the same answer each time. I can't get Ebay either and it seems to have a problem on a few pages of other sites too and then when I go to UKonline they work fine. Could it be a speed problem as I think the connection with Tesco seems slower than UK online.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
04-01-2005, 01:32
That's the correct address so it seems the Tesco DNS is ok.

Have you scanned your PC for spyware or viruses recently just in case it's something like that?

Have you tried it from another PC / laptop?

Have you tried using a different browser (e.g. Netscape) just in case it is IE?

When you cleared the cache did you reboot before going back into your browser and trying again?

I did it with both John and it gave me the same answer each time. I can't get Ebay either and it seems to have a problem on a few pages of other sites too and then when I go to UKonline they work fine. Could it be a speed problem as I think the connection with Tesco seems slower than UK online.
[/quote]

jolliffee
04-01-2005, 02:07
This is a pig of a problem to fix like this; I suspect there has been some change in settings (did you load the pay per use dial up after the Tesco dial up?)and would suggest you consider reloading the Tesco software to set up its interface again. Or you need to go online with there help desk so they can talk you through the set ups but be careful incase they charge a huge amount per minute...

What I think may have happened is that the Tesco connection has been changed, maybe there is an incorrect proxy statement or some thing associated with that dial up connection, the only way is to look at the connection settings after clicking on the tesco dial up in IE.

Maybe some one else with a Tesco Dial up could relate their connection settings so we can tell what they should be.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
04-01-2005, 23:19
Did you get any further with the problem Ruth?

Ruth
05-01-2005, 00:30
No, I am still waiting to hear back from Tesco again. I am a total novice but think it is a problem with the Tesco settings on my laptop as Dave suggests as they use their own connection software. I always get an error message when I connect as it won;t update their settings due to my firewalls. I only just twigged this when I had a problem trying to change my website (Frontpage) using Tesco but no problem with UKonline. I am going to try to connect withour a firewall and see if it will update although I tried this in the past and could not get it to work. How I wish I understood computers more[msnembarrased]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-01-2005, 00:57
Sounds like it to me Ruth. It would definitely be worth de-installing the Tesco software, making sure their entry in Dial Up Networking is gone and then rebooting and installing from scratch.

Ruth
05-01-2005, 20:07
Hurrah, my problem is sorted:D Tesco emailed me back and told me to make some changes in the Proxy Server and Port settings on Internet Connections and I am back on OV:D:D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-01-2005, 20:08
Excellent - good to hear such a big ISP being so responsive - a lot would have denied it was their problem :D
Hurrah, my problem is sorted:D Tesco emailed me back and told me to make some changes in the Proxy Server and Port settings on Internet Connections and I am back on OV:D:D
[/quote]