PDA

View Full Version : Photo sizes

Fletch
31-12-2004, 17:09
Not sure if this question has already been asked - did a search but couldn't find anything.

What size photo would you recommend setting my digital camera to take? I know you can get much more on the memory card if you reduce the size of the pictures, but would value an opinion on the quality of the picture if I do this.

DarrenShort
31-12-2004, 17:22
I usually stick to the 3megapixel option, but I guess it depends on the size of memory card you have....

jolliffee
31-12-2004, 18:12
You should go for the largest format your camera has vs the size of your memory card and the amount of pictures you would like to take. Remember the smaller the size the less information is stored, not a problem if you only want to email them or put them on a web page but if you want to print them then it is better to have a larger size.

I leave mine on its max/fine setting.

Snapper
31-12-2004, 18:49
I agree completely with Dave. Go for the largest possible image size. If you camera automatically jpegs the images then set it to the lowest possible compression and/or finest possible detail. If your camera supports a 'raw' or 'native' mode then use that and then jpeg the images when back on a PC.

The golden rule with digital is that once the camera goes snap that's the absolute maximum detail and image quality you will ever have. It's easy to remove detail and make the image smaller afterwards, but it doesn't work the other way. You can't add detail back into a compressed image.

This wasn't always the case, but with flash memory now so affordable there is no reason for compromising on quality.

The quality (or lack thereof) really only shows up when you try to print digital photos. A quick work-out shows what kinds of demands prints make. Even low cost desktop inkjets are now running at print resolutions of 600 dots per inch (dpi) or higher. So if you figure a normal sized 6" x 4" print, that needs 6 * 4 * 600 * 600 pixels worth of data. It doesn't sound a lot when you write it like that but it works out to over 8 megapixels.

Nostromo
31-12-2004, 18:56
Snapper, based on what you've just said, can I check that I am doing the right thing with my Monolta A1 (5MP). For most 'holiday' type photos that will never be larger than 5"x7" prints, I use an 'extra-fine' setting, which seems to be the best JPEG option available. But If I an taking something special, like wildlife, weddings etc, I go for TIFF or even RAW. I do it that way to make sure that my memory card does not get full too quickly while taking many holiday pics which have to be very good but not perfect. Is that OK?

KJH
31-12-2004, 19:50
Hello all,

As you may or may not remember, I eventually bought an Olympus C765,

The thing I have noticed (and which suprised me) is the slow reaction time in taking a picture from when I press the wotsit until the camera actually seems to take the picture. Is there anything I can do about this and do I need to do any of the above, ie. changing settings etc.?

Many thanks from a plonker who loves taking good pictures but hasn't a clue how to work the equipment.

ps. HAPPY NEW YEAR

Kaz[msnscared]

Snapper
31-12-2004, 20:19
It sounds like a sensible approach Nostromo, especially if you don't have a laptop handy to offload the images to. An alternative might be to shoot everything RAW and then get one of the camera shops on 192 (or wherever) to dump the flash cards onto CDs when they start to get full.

I'd always go for the RAW option over TIFF if it's available as you're getting the data straight off the camera's sensor without any 'interpretation' by the camera's software. RAW is always going to be at the top of the pyramid. You can go from RAW to TIFF but not vice versa, and you can go from TIFF to a compressed JPEG, but not the other way.

What we all really need is something like a 40Gb iPod that will allow one to dump images off flash cards but yet is small enough to fit in a pocket. I think the future will be devices like this but also with wireless, allowing the camera to offload images all the time without you having to connect any wires.

Snapper
31-12-2004, 20:26
Kaz - your small delay might just be a feature of the camera. Most of the pocket sized digis (my Canon included) are quite slow to autofocus, especially if the subject is moving. It could also be the camera's internal computer having to think a bit about the exposure.

KJH
31-12-2004, 20:31
Thanks Steve

Nostromo
31-12-2004, 20:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
It sounds like a sensible approach Nostromo, especially if you don't have a laptop handy to offload the images to. An alternative might be to shoot everything RAW and then get one of the camera shops on 192 (or wherever) to dump the flash cards onto CDs when they start to get full.

I'd always go for the RAW option over TIFF if it's available as you're getting the data straight off the camera's sensor without any 'interpretation' by the camera's software. RAW is always going to be at the top of the pyramid. You can go from RAW to TIFF but not vice versa, and you can go from TIFF to a compressed JPEG, but not the other way.

What we all really need is something like a 40Gb iPod that will allow one to dump images off flash cards but yet is small enough to fit in a pocket. I think the future will be devices like this but also with wireless, allowing the camera to offload images all the time without you having to connect any wires.
[/quote]

Thanks snapper. I do have a 20Gb Flashtrax that can be used to dump images as necessary. But in Orlando and other 'touristy' area, one tends to keep on snapping as the opportunity arises and with higher settings, the card gets full before one can say Jack Robinson. My 256Mb Compactflash card is supposed to allow only 16 pics in the RAW mode while I can take 99 in the ususal 'extra fine' JPEG.

I am a bit scared to carry the expensive and delicate Flashtrax around with me in case I drop or lose it [msnembarrased]. Therefore, I tend to do my 'dumping' in the evening after I return to the hotel or villa.

jolliffee
31-12-2004, 21:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KJHewitt
Hello all,

The thing I have noticed (and which suprised me) is the slow reaction time in taking a picture from when I press the wotsit until the camera actually seems to take the picture. Is there anything I can do about this and do I need to do any of the above, ie. changing settings etc.?

Many thanks from a plonker who loves taking good pictures but hasn't a clue how to work the equipment.

ps. HAPPY NEW YEAR

Kaz[msnscared]
[/quote]

Hi Kaz. I have this problem with my Olympus, I press the wotsit and count to three, I always have to tell people who take snaps for me, otherwise they are giving me the camera back while it is still thinking.

This is a reason I moved to a Fuji which is very fast, Ho Hum!

Happy New Year[msnsmile2]

DarrenShort
01-01-2005, 12:14
We also have a Fuji, and this is usually instant, the agfa we had a couple of years ago sometimes took up to 10 seconds before it finally took the picture [msnsad]

Fletch
01-01-2005, 17:59
Thanks for all the advice - unfortunately I don't understand a lot of the technical terms [msneek]. Guess I'll stick with the setting I've got it on as they have been great when I've printed them out. We're taking a laptop with us so I can download them every night and free up space on the memory stick.

Nostromo
01-01-2005, 18:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fletch
Thanks for all the advice - unfortunately I don't understand a lot of the technical terms [msneek]. Guess I'll stick with the setting I've got it on as they have been great when I've printed them out. We're taking a laptop with us so I can download them every night and free up space on the memory stick.
[/quote]

This often works well for 'tourist photos'. Most Digital Cameras come with a factory default setting that is 'fine' or 'extra fine' JPEG that is designed to give just enough compression (and hence allow adequate number of pics to be taken with a given card), but not so compressed as to affect quality. This achieves a sort of compromise and the resultant prints should give very good results for standard 6"x4" or 7"x5" prints.

KJH
01-01-2005, 20:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KJHewitt
Hello all,

ps. HAPPY NEW YEAR

Kaz[msnscared]
[/quote]

Hi Kaz. I have this problem with my Olympus, I press the wotsit and count to three, I always have to tell people who take snaps for me, otherwise they are giving me the camera back while it is still thinking.

This is a reason I moved to a Fuji which is very fast, Ho Hum!

Happy New Year[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Now you all tell me! Does any know if it would make a difference putting it on the sport mode?

Snapper
01-01-2005, 21:02
It might do Kaz, and wouldn't hurt to try.

What the camera will be doing in the background for sport mode will be trying to maximise the shutter speed in order to freeze any moving objects.

If it is a slow reacting autofocus or electronics it might not make much difference.

Alas I think you are starting to see the difference between a budget vs. expensive camera. They both might have the same number of megapixels (which seems to be the headline metric by which everyone advertises) but there is tons of other stuff that goes on in the background; something ultimately has to give to get these things into the shops at the price they are at.

chunkichik
03-01-2005, 04:17
My camera is second hand so I never got to read the instructions!!!!

I don't even know if you can change the setting!!!, it is an Olympus c-960zoom, 1.3 megapixel which is these days quite pi** poor, although I am still happy with the quality of my photos, if I ever work out how to do it, might put one on here as I know there are a couple of guys who know what they are talking about when it comes to photography!!!

We bought a memory card whilst in Orlando last 128mb and we can get about 550 pictures on there, is the quality reduced depending on the amount of space you use?

Many thanks from a complete dunce!!!

Anita

jolliffee
03-01-2005, 16:28
Hi Anita. If your happy with your pictures then that's all that matters. I was at a NY do with friends and one of them had the same camera as you; he had purchased it in Orlando ages ago but it still does the job for him. As to your question it is a case of less equals more, the larger the save picture the more information is stored so in your case always go for the max amount. Doing the sums in my head (still hurts from NY so not a good idea really) it looks like you may be set at a lower resolution maybe 500k; check it out and make sure you are set at the 1.3. I think you should get about 350 at 1.3 on a 128mb card.[msnwink]

KJH
03-01-2005, 22:04
Hi Steve,

I wish you had been about when I was asking about cameras. I hadn't a clue what to go for..............so asked for advice on this forum. I like the idea of the zoom on the c765, as I take a lot of sports pictures for the school and my childrens teams. My other digital cameras have a quicker reaction time than the Olympus.
:(
Really good quality photos as long as the subject doesn't move!

Kaz[msnscared]

Snapper
03-01-2005, 22:32
I do sympathise with you Kaz. I tried photographing the shows at Sea World with my little Canon last August and I've got tons of photos of dolphins just heading back into the water rather than smiling nicely at the top of their jump.