PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody help me please?

Fletch
30-12-2004, 01:01
We are driving from Orlando airport to Cumbrian Lakes on Poinciana Boulevard. I have a fairly good map of the area, and have traced the route which has been recommended. However, there is one point where it doesn't seem to tally.

Travelling on the SR-417 the directions say 'Continue on past the next two exits, 6 and 3, and then leave SR-417 at the next exit, 2 (Osceola Parkway)'

On my map, Osceola Parkway appears to be exit 3.

The next sentence says

'As you leave SR-417 at exit 3, you come to Celebration Avenue. Turn right heading for Highway 192.'

On my map, it looks like you need to take exit 2 for Celebration Avenue.

My question is - do I take exit 2 or exit 3 off the SR-417 to get to Celebration Avenue?

E. Cosgrove
30-12-2004, 01:17
Celebration Ave is exit 2 Fletch.

SunLover
30-12-2004, 01:41
Definitely exit 2 :)

Nostromo
30-12-2004, 02:15
That's right. Driving on SR417 South from MCO airport, Osceola Parkway is Exit 3 and Celebration Avenue Exit 2. But for Cumbrian Lakes, I would have thought that turning left into Osceola Parkway at Exit 3 (going East briefly) is shorter and quicker (since it is closer to the villa community and a less crowded road than US192) and leads to Poinciana Boulevard, where one turns right (south) again towards Cumbrian Lakes.

Fletch
30-12-2004, 03:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
That's right. Driving on SR417 South from MCO airport, Osceola Parkway is Exit 3 and Celebration Avenue Exit 2. But for Cumbrian Lakes, I would have thought that turning left into Osceola Parkway at Exit 3 (going East briefly) is shorter and quicker (since it is closer to the villa community and a less crowded road than US192) and leads to Poinciana Boulevard, where one turns left (south) again towards Cumbrian Lakes.
[/quote]

Thanks Nostromo (and Elizabeth and Sunlover)

Nostromo - this is word for word the directions I have been given:

Leave the airport via the South Exit (red sign) heading for State Road (Toll) 417 (Central Florida Greenway). On the approach to the 417, be ready to turn right to join this road heading west (but signed as south), ie turn onto the entry slip road (ramp) before passing under the highway itself. This is Junction 17. Almost immediately there is a toll plaza ($1.00).

Continue along the 417 passing the next three exits 14, 11 and 10. A little further on there is another toll plaza (again $1.00). Continue on past the next two exits, 6 and 3 and then leave SR-417 at the next exit, 2 (Osceola Parkway) where there is a toll of $0.25 payable on exit. The total distance travelled on SR-417 is approximately 15 miles.

As you leave SR-417 at exit 3, you come to Celebration Avenue. Turn right heading for Highway 192. Less than half a mile further on, join the 192 by turning right onto it towards Kissimmee. Once on the 192, continue until the intersection with Poinciana Boulevard. This is 3.1 miles from the I-4 or 2.4 miles from Celebration Avenue. Turn right into Poinciana Boulevard....... (I'm happy with the rest of the directions from this point)

Can you see why I am confused? I'm grateful for any advice from yourself or anybody else on the forum who knows these routes well.

blott
30-12-2004, 05:23
Crumbs, that's an awfully convoluted route to get to Cumbrian Lakes as you'll be going past it and then coming back again.

You might find this easier...

Take the signs from Orlando International for the North Exit (the 528 Beeline Expressway - signposted Orlando, Tampa), ignoring signs to Kissimmee. Turn right onto the 528 West on which there are two tolls, both 75 cents. Leave the 528 shortly after the second toll following signs to the John Young Parkway exit on your right.

Turn left onto John Young Parkway (this is a divided road and you need to get halfway across and then stop). Follow this for around 8 miles, until you reach the cross junction with the 192. Continue over the 192 (Albertson's is on your right), over a railway bridge. At the traffic lights, continue straight.

At the next traffic lights turn right onto Poinciana Boulevard. Cumbrian Lakes is the first or second community you come to on the right side, a mile or so along.

esprit
30-12-2004, 07:13
Be careful with that toll booth at Celebration ( exit 2 definite!!), it is unmanned and half the time you throw coins in and the gate doesnt open. It is notorious for it.

Nostromo
30-12-2004, 11:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Crumbs, that's an awfully convoluted route to get to Cumbrian Lakes as you'll be going past it and then coming back again.

Take the signs from Orlando International for the North Exit (the 528 Beeline Expressway - signposted Orlando, Tampa), ignoring signs to Kissimmee. Turn right onto the 528 West on which there are two tolls, both 75 cents. Leave the 528 shortly after the second toll following signs to the John Young Parkway exit on your right.

Turn left onto John Young Parkway (this is a divided road and you need to get halfway across and then stop). Follow this for around 8 miles, until you reach the cross junction with the 192. Continue over the 192 (Albertson's is on your right), over a railway bridge. At the traffic lights, continue straight.

At the next traffic lights turn right onto Poinciana Boulevard. Cumbrian Lakes is the first or second community you come to on the right side, a mile or so along.
[/quote]

Blott, I agree that your route is more direct. But I assumed that Fletch was relatively inexperienced driving around Orlando and that's the reason I suggested my route. Moreover, it appreared from the directions that Fletch had been given before that they were going to take the South Exit out of MCO into SR417 anyway and from there what I suggested seemed easiest (unless, one can turn left from Southbound SR417 directly into Vineland Road, which as far as I can recall, is not yet possible).

bellaepovera
30-12-2004, 12:17
I also believe for a newbie driving that taking the Parkway would be the easiest..We timed it from the airport and total time is 25 mintues and Cumbrian is only 1 mile or less farther then our community.

Fletch
30-12-2004, 14:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott

[/quote]

Blott, I agree that your route is more direct. But I assumed that Fletch was relatively inexperienced driving around Orlando and that's the reason I suggested my route. Moreover, it appreared from the directions that Fletch had been given before that they were going to take the South Exit out of MCO into SR417 anyway and from there what I suggested seemed easiest (unless, one can turn left from Southbound SR417 directly into Vineland Road, which as far as I can recall, is not yet possible).
[/quote]

Hi Nostromo - I think the convoluted route Blott is referring to is the route I posted in my last message on this thread, immediately after your last posting (hope that makes sense).

Blott - I am a first time driver in Florida, and would prefer the quietest route, rather than the fastest one. Hopefully within a few days I'll be breezing happily along the Beeline Expressway without a care in the world [msnwink]

Thanks for your advice everyone - at least I have some alternative routes in mind now if I get hopelessly lost! [msneek]

Nostromo
30-12-2004, 16:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fletch[/i
Hi Nostromo - I think the convoluted route Blott is referring to is the route I posted in my last message on this thread, immediately after your last posting (hope that makes sense).

Blott - I am a first time driver in Florida, and would prefer the quietest route, rather than the fastest one. Hopefully within a few days I'll be breezing happily along the Beeline Expressway without a care in the world [msnwink]

Thanks for your advice everyone - at least I have some alternative routes in mind now if I get hopelessly lost! [msneek]
[/quote]

Thank you for making it clear, Fletch. Since you are a first time driver, I think most people will agree that taking the South Exit out of MCO airport that leads to SR417 would be vastly preferable. All you have to do is to folow the <span style="color:red">red</span id="red"> South Exit signs out of MCO towards SR417. There is just one tricky spot soon after getting on to the SR417 slip road; [i]to go SR417 South as you should, you actually have to follow the signs and turn right into a ramp rather than carry on straight (which takes you to SR417 North). Once you are on SR417, it is very easy all the way to Exit 3 into Osceola Parkway, where you turn left (away from WDW), drive east for about 3 miles and turn right into Poinciana Boulevard to head south. You should soon arrive at Cumbrian Lakes.

Hope that this helps.

Fletch
30-12-2004, 19:36
Thanks Nostromo - that's a great help.[clap]

blott
30-12-2004, 19:37
Fletch, you take whichever route suits you but that is our route for all our guests (about 50% of them Florida newbies) and I've only 'lost' one in five years and that was because they turned off somewhere that said straight on in the directions! It's not a bit convoluted!

Personally, I can't see the point of taking a longer route and driving any further than you have to after a long flight. Despite its name, the Beeline Expressway isn't busy at all.

Snapper
30-12-2004, 23:01
I find 417 a bit quieter and generally a nicer drive. When I go to and from the airport this is the route I typically use.

I send all my guests along 528 (Beeline Expressway) though; and while that might sound a bit daft it's for exactly the reason that Julie points out. That unmanned toll station on the Celebration exit from 417 is a pain in the proverbial. I have nightmares about guests arriving with no US coins, hitting that unmanned toll booth and not knowing what to do; then getting all flustered (especially after a long flight) and stressed and it all getting their holiday off to a major downer.

I agree completely with Blott in that 528 generally isn't too busy despite being called the Beeline Expressway. I find the 192 probably the busiest road around Disney.

Nostromo
30-12-2004, 23:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
I find 417 a bit quieter and generally a nicer drive. When I go to and from the airport this is the route I typically use.

I send all my guests along 528 (Beeline Expressway) though; and while that might sound a bit daft it's for exactly the reason that Julie points out. That unmanned toll station on the Celebration exit from 417 is a pain in the proverbial. I have nightmares about guests arriving with no US coins, hitting that unmanned toll booth and not knowing what to do; then getting all flustered (especially after a long flight) and stressed and it all getting their holiday off to a major downer.

[/quote]

Sorry to be a pain Snapper, but if Fletch is going to Cumbrian Lakes and decides to take the Southern route (SR417) from MCO after all, she does not have to go as far as the Celebration Exit (Exit 2) at all. She can leave SR417 at Exit 3 into Osceola Parkway (east) and the turnoff to Poinciana Boulevard is only 3 easy miles further. While it may not be as direct as Blott's route, I think it is easier for a new driver. Of course, it is only my opinion.

bellaepovera
31-12-2004, 02:27
Thats where we get off on exit 3 as getting off on Celebration is out of the way...

Snapper
31-12-2004, 02:34
It's no pain Nostromo. Not a bit. I wasn't suggesting to use this as the route to Cumbrian lakes, I'd always defer that advice to folks with villas there who know this end of 192 much better than I do. I'm a great believer that all relevant information is useful though and that's where the mention of that unmanned toll station at the Celebration exit came from.

If you think about it, we all miss exits every now and then, and it would be a nightmare if Fletch (hi Fletch by the way) was heading for exit 3, missed it, figured to get off at exit 2 instead, hit the unmanned toll and had no quarters. Not an ideal start to one's holiday!

Fletch; I'm sure you won't miss exit 3, but now even if you do you are well prepared to the toll station at exit 2.

Joolz
31-12-2004, 03:41
Weve just ccome back from a holiday at Cumbrian Lakes - Personally being quite nervous of the roads Id say that Nostromos suggestion is easier.

If coming off the WO Parkway and crossing the 192 to go to Poinciana Blvd (Nostromos way) then Perkins is diagonally across on the right at the junction - the Perkins sign is green!!

When you turn into Poinciana Boulevard off the 192 (Nostromos way) then you will pass a series of communities after a gap you will come to these listed in order: (as mentioned on diff thread)
Terra Verde
Indian Point
Eagle Pointe
Liberty Village
then Cumbrian lakes.
If you are going in the next few days when the christmas lights are up... then Liberty village has an illuminated reindeer up by the sign (you can see it from some distance away) we used this as our promt to look for the left turn in the road.

Also a little tip Fletch - We used the Poinciana Vineland Rd - World Center Parkway route in to disney all the time - most of the roads on that route are well lit and the journey was less hairy! - (in my opinion!!)

[msnsmile2]
Hope you have a great holiday!

Fletch
31-12-2004, 03:50
Thanks again everyone - valuable advice which I have made a note of!

Joolz - welcome back to the UK - am just about to read your trip reports.

I'm feeling a mixture of excitement and anxiety about this holiday now it is virtually here. Also, I feel very heavy-hearted about the devastating tsunami disaster - it almost feels wrong to be looking forward to something when so many thousands of people have lost their lives and many more thousands are suffering. God bless everyone involved.

Joolz
31-12-2004, 21:39
Yes Fletch I know just what you mean- I felt like that when I heard about the Babson Cole accident even though I didnt know the families- I just kept thinking that whilst I was having my fantastic holiday these peoples lives and dreams and hopes had been shattered.
and now with the Tsunami..... the same sort of feelings recur- its a massive tradgedy on a massive scale... it heightens awareness of the fragility of life wherever we are in the world.