PDA

View Full Version : Virgin MilesPlusMoney

brizzle
28-12-2004, 15:18
Not having taken much notice of this scheme before this year can anyone tell me if they have had it every year previous to 2004?

I've emailed Virgin to ask when dates after March 31st will be released but the reply said that they don't know if the offer will continue.
If it was offered in previous years I can only imagine that the offer will more than likely continue although not guaranteed.

Brizzle.

lgordon6041
28-12-2004, 17:02
Hi,

Ive used miles + money on nearly every virgin trip ive flown over the last few years so I presume it will continue. I think they only release a limited number of seats for the scheme but I may be wrong.
Im a big fan of the scheme and you do save money!
Just booked for 18 Feb, £260 return inc tax! Billy Bargain!

brizzle
28-12-2004, 21:29
Thanks, I've seen some great prices in March but it may be April/May when I am 'allowed' to go across to Florida with my Mum (sans Wife and kids) to do some shopping (for the Wife and kids obviously).

It may well be a weird situation that for the first time I do no parks, just relax and shop.
It will go against the grain with the choice of theme parks so close and I'm sure I'll crack and visit on one of the days.

Brizzle.

KJH
28-12-2004, 21:59
When I ASKED ABOUT THIS THEY SAID THERE ARE ONLY A CERTAIN NUMBER OF SEATS PER FLIGHT, AND THAT THEY DO NOT RELEASE AT PEAK TIMES. tHAT WAS FOR PREM ECON.

KAZ

Ray&Sarah
28-12-2004, 23:19
We phoned Virgin this morning about mile+money in premium economy for August 2005, some flights were already sold out ie. 14th August the date we wanted but we could go the day after. The funny thing is though we decided to go with a quote from the flights site attached to this forum as premium economy with Virgin was nigh on the same price as Virgin themselves were offering on the miles+money deal. So we have ended up paying about the same per person but not using up any miles, we'll save them and use them for a free up-grade at some point.[msnsmile2]

chris
30-12-2004, 13:03
The other good thing to do with Virgin miles is to buy a 'companion' ticket to anywhere in the world for 20000 miles. We are using it this August. You cannot get the very cheapest tickets but the companion only pays the taxes. We paid £740 for most of our tickets, then paid £850 for my husbands ticket (he was taking our son as his companion) and our son paid £80 tax. Therefore we got his ticket paying the equivalent of £180, saving £560. :D

steph_goodrum
30-12-2004, 13:27
the other thing against using the miles plus money scheme is that you often dont end up saving much money but you dont get any reward miles or tier points for the trip so it sometimes pays to pay a little extra and get enough miles for a free trip sooner.
The companion flight option can work out better as the person paying on that one has to purchase a ticket in a higher qualifying class (I think M is the least) but gets extra miles for the trip.

Ray&Sarah
30-12-2004, 17:01
Will have to look into the "Companion tickets", not something we had heard of before, must learn to read the small print. Hopefully after our flights in the summer we will have enough points either for an upgrade at 20,000 points or a companion ticket at 20,000. [msnsmile2]

brizzle
05-01-2005, 11:53
Another twist, I have looked for flights in October over the school holiday and the real price is about £2500 for five of us (two adults, two chidren).
Using 10,000 flying points this comes down to about £1400.

I think in this case it makes sense to use the points to save £1000.
If I were to save up to 40,000 points I'd only be able to get one free economy flight, in this case £571 so the MilesPlusMoney seems to be the more 'value' option.

Brizzle.