PDA

View Full Version : Passengers from Hell

josephinekelly
27-12-2004, 14:47
A previous discussion seems to have ended up on the above subject and I wonder whether anyone has an unforgettable experience on the flights over with such fellow passengers, or even cabin staff.

I kicked off with recounting how a three year old was allowed to jump on his seat and hang over my TV screen during all the times he was awake. On remonstrating with his father, we were told it was all we could expect from a three year old, and in retaliation, he (the father)let down both seats back as far as possible for the entire flight.

SunLover
27-12-2004, 15:41
I think I'd have been inclined to kick the back of their seats for the whole flight, explaining "that's all you can expect from an annoyed person" !!! [:O]

LiesaAnna
27-12-2004, 15:48
and i said following the conversation........
on our way home after our first visit to florida that the people in front of us slam the chair back into my knee! when i cried out and said "please put your seat forward you've hurt my bad knee" they got the knock! her partner then put his back into my daughters face who has bad eyes and wears glasses constantly! she said she couldnt watch TV like that, so i politely asked if he would put his seat forward as it was distressing my daughter, he muttered something about always sleeping on the way home! then slammed it back again! i then called the air/steward to sort this out, and my husband (wrongly) told him to put it up as it wasnt fair to Terri as she was in tears! he was so rude! which wound steve right up! then the A/S said he was sorry about this to the chap in front! red rag to a bull i'm afraid! steve was very angry, and shouted through gritted teeth to put the chair up and not be so selfish! the A/S said the man in front had paid good money for his seat and was entitled to put it back WE DIDNT have free seats!!!!! but he asked him to put it upright which he did, after telling steve quite loudly that he was going to get the police to arrest steve when we landed if he didnt sit and be quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (which he did) steve apologised to the air steward, and said anyone would defend their kids!!!! especially when an adult is involved!
was dreading the next flight but thankfully apart from my painful knee went great there and back!!!

Nostromo
27-12-2004, 16:59
My worst experience was when the wife and I flew to San Francisco a few years ago. Sitting in front and all around us was a group of noisy young people (in their 20s) who I later learned were some sort of nuveau Christian Gospel group from somewhere in the Americam Midwest. All of them seemed to be high on something (maybe they thought that got them closer to heaven) and were dancing and singing ludicrously throughout the flight, unmindful of the complaints by other passengers or staff. The guy in front of me was the worst, wiggling furiously in his seat in tune to some music with both legs perched on top of the seat in front of him. We later learned that the airline had lodged an official complaint to the group's Church or whatever.

LiesaAnna
27-12-2004, 17:40
that wouldve sent me over the top i'm afraid!

Ray&Sarah
27-12-2004, 17:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SunLover
I think I'd have been inclined to kick the back of their seats for the whole flight, explaining "that's all you can expect from an annoyed person" !!! [:O]
[/quote]

That sounds like a good plan, we always seem to end up with some annoying child in front of us. [msnsmile2] We always made our sons sit in their seats and kept them busy with things to do. Perhaps we got it wrong though.[msnscared]

SunLover
27-12-2004, 17:47
Sounds like a complete nightmare Nostromo :(

blott
27-12-2004, 18:17
Oh, there were the passengers who had a stand up fight in the aisle. Then there were the passengers whose kids kicked the back of our seats for the entire flight. Then there were the screaming baby people. Then there were the passengers who bagged all the seats in the transfer bus for their kids and left the elderly and disabled to stand and then argued the toss - but didn't budge an inch.

Then there was the Virgin crew from hell (the ones whose supervisor wasn't paid enough to handle complaints), swiftly followed by the Continental crew from hell who completely ignored someone with a disability and issued a seat that wasn't suitable.

Ray&Sarah
27-12-2004, 18:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Oh, there were the passengers who had a stand up fight in the aisle. Then there were the passengers whose kids kicked the back of our seats for the entire flight. Then there were the screaming baby people. Then there were the passengers who bagged all the seats in the transfer bus for their kids and left the elderly and disabled to stand and then argued the toss - but didn't budge an inch.

Then there was the Virgin crew from hell (the ones whose supervisor wasn't paid enough to handle complaints), swiftly followed by the Continental crew from hell who completely ignored someone with a disability and issued a seat that wasn't suitable.
[/quote]

Remind us not to fly at the same time as you then Blott!!![msnwink]:D

E. Cosgrove
27-12-2004, 18:31
Oh you've travelled on the same flights as me then Blott?[msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott

[/quote]

LiesaAnna
27-12-2004, 18:35
and i thought my one was bad! not so sure i wanna fly again!![msnscared]

blott
27-12-2004, 19:09
Should have said... that was the condensed version of many flights! :D Can you tell I don't like flying? :)

Robert5988
27-12-2004, 19:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:and i said following the conversation........
on our way home after our first visit to florida that the people in front of us slam the chair back into my knee! when i cried out and said "please put your seat forward you've hurt my bad knee" they got the knock! her partner then put his back into my daughters face who has bad eyes and wears glasses constantly! she said she couldnt watch TV like that, so i politely asked if he would put his seat forward as it was distressing my daughter, he muttered something about always sleeping on the way home! then slammed it back again! i then called the air/steward to sort this out, and my husband (wrongly) told him to put it up as it wasnt fair to Terri as she was in tears! he was so rude! which wound steve right up! then the A/S said he was sorry about this to the chap in front! red rag to a bull i'm afraid! steve was very angry, and shouted through gritted teeth to put the chair up and not be so selfish! the A/S said the man in front had paid good money for his seat and was entitled to put it back WE DIDNT have free seats!!!!! but he asked him to put it upright which he did, after telling steve quite loudly that he was going to get the police to arrest steve when we landed if he didnt sit and be quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (which he did) steve apologised to the air steward, and said anyone would defend their kids!!!! especially when an adult is involved!
[/quote]

So the 'Passengers from Hell' were the people in front?

chrizzy100
27-12-2004, 19:30
I have tattoos and I wear a leather bike jacket...I get no trouble...LOL

LiesaAnna
27-12-2004, 20:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:and i said following the conversation........
[/quote]

So the 'Passengers from Hell' were the people in front?
[/quote]

How am i supposed to take that????? say it quick then run???
they were in the wrong! we asked politely we're not rude or loud or nasty!
but he didnt want to do that he wanted his sleep! dont matter that others were uncomfortable! we never put the seats back as we think its unfair to others, theres limited space as it is on these planes! there were other things aid by the man in front which upset my husband, he was just defending a 14 year old child! do you think he was wrong then?????
at least he was man enough to apologise to the air steward!!!!

Robert5988
27-12-2004, 20:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:do you think he was wrong then?????[/quote]
Yes.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:at least he was man enough to apologise to the air steward!!!![/quote]

Which apparently saved him from being arrested!

It would be illuminating to get the Air Steward’s opinion on the altercation.

If your definition of a Passenger from Hell is someone who reclines his seat, then you place the majority of air passengers in that category.

LiesaAnna
27-12-2004, 20:34
i dont think you understand!
i had said on a previous thread and it was talked about on here, that the seating on the way out was perfectly addequate but on the return journey it seemed like an extra row of seats had been put in, we were very cramped! i know it wasnt the gent in fronts fault but there was more to it, he had a very bad attitude to all of it, said he had rights, well dont we all, we have to give and take on this sort of thing!
i have a bad knee and they didnt give a monkeys about me being uncomfortable nor my daughter, its sounds to me if someone was rude to a child of yours you'd just let them get on with?? well i'm glad steve is the man he is and would do/risk anything for the sake of his children.......

chrizzy100
27-12-2004, 21:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
i dont think you understand!
i had said on a previous thread and it was talked about on here, that the seating on the way out was perfectly addequate but on the return journey it seemed like an extra row of seats had been put in, we were very cramped! i know it wasnt the gent in fronts fault but there was more to it, he had a very bad attitude to all of it, said he had rights, well dont we all, we have to give and take on this sort of thing!
i have a bad knee and they didnt give a monkeys about me being uncomfortable nor my daughter, its sounds to me if someone was rude to a child of yours you'd just let them get on with?? well i'm glad steve is the man he is and would do/risk anything for the sake of his children.......
[/quote]

Being a nasty biker type........I always ask the people behind me if its ok to put my seat right back...and I always set it upright when the food comes round...on a plane its a case of give and take........[msnsad]

LiesaAnna
27-12-2004, 21:19
my thoughts! exactly!!!!!!!!
we had people reclining their seat on the way back this time, it was no problem, it didnt get my leg or bother lauren!
we always say there has to be give and take in such situations! he wanted to take take take.......................................

Nostromo
27-12-2004, 21:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
I have tattoos and I wear a leather bike jacket...I get no trouble...LOL
[/quote]

I have tatoos too, but keep forgetting to pack them for the flights! :D:D

LiesaAnna
27-12-2004, 21:29
i got tattoos and love showing off my rose and sunflower!

27-12-2004, 21:41
Passengers from hell!!!

Oh please don't get me started on this subject with 20 years as cabin crew I have seen them all!!

I have been spat at, hit by a very famous boxing promoter when I offered him a meal, broke up a fight between two very famous women, I have passengers asking for drinks whilst I have been dealing with medical emergencies, I even had a passenger try to get back onto an aircraft we had just evacuated!! I have had to break up a fight between two very high profile attorneys on a Concorde flight which started because one reclined his seat and spilt red wine over the other! And Yes I also have had a couple of trouble makers met by the Police on landing!

On the other hand I have also had some wonderful flights, met some fantastic people including royalty, pop stars, and the rich and famous, and managed to see most of the world in the process!! So thanks BA!!!
[msnwink]

Cowboy
27-12-2004, 23:09
All this reminds me of a Virgin flight several years ago from Boston to London.
Three British youths had been drinking heavily in the departure lounge and making a nuisance of themselves despite a USA policeman being present. They were allowed to board the flight and guess what? They were sat across the aisle from me. About 1 hour into the flight they started to annoy a young man in front who eventually asked a member of the cabin crew to sort it out. She tried to reason with the guys and one became quite stroppy. To cut a long story short he was frogmarched somewhere to the front of the plane and peace reigned, the other two soon went to sleep. A female cabin crew member came and asked if anyone would be kind enough to make a statement because they would need one for their report. Everyone around refused apart from me. On landing police boarded the aircraft and kept all of us at the rear end of the plane for over an hour. Everyone, apart from me, denied seeing anything. The police knew I had made a statement and I was detained in a room on my own for another 2 hours being questioned. Kath wasn't allowed to be with me and I had no idea where she was.
I never received so much as a thank you from Virgin [msnmad] No wonder no one else would admit to seeing the fracas.
Mike and Kath.

flyrr100
27-12-2004, 23:42
Years ago I was on a BA flight to Amsterdam. The 70s band 'Mud' were in first class. The were trashed! I didn't mind the noise, but the language was horrible. A guy with his family tried to complain but the BA flight attendant just said somthing about them being first class passengers so he couldn't do anything!

If you've ever see Richard Simmonds, The short, American, gay, weight loss guy? He was on one of my flights recently. Boy, what an ass! Just his presence made it the flight from hell!

benfilo
28-12-2004, 03:25
I kicked off with recounting how a three year old was allowed to jump on his seat and hang over my TV screen during all the times he was awake. On remonstrating with his father, we were told it was all we could expect from a three year old, and in retaliation, he (the father)let down both seats back as far as possible for the entire flight.
[/quote]

I get very annoyed when kids are allowed to run riot, I have a 12 and 5 year old and there is no way I'd let them annoy people in that way. But I must admit I can't stop the the 5 year old singing or talking, she does it non stop from the minute she wakes up until she goes to sleep (sometimes in between too). so i do appologise for this to anyone who sits near us[msnembarrased]

julieanne
28-12-2004, 04:00
I don't take any children to Florida. But knowing how long a flight to Florida seems to an adult it's easy to appreciate how difficult it must be travelling with excited youngsters on a long-haul flight to Florida.
But I get SO frustrated with parents who delibrately "send" their children to another section of the plane to play. They sit back, relax and enjoy their flight whilst others are tormented
[msnmad]

A little consideration isn't too much to ask surely??

benfilo
28-12-2004, 04:29
I totally agree with you Julie, but I think there is a gowing number of people who don't care who their kids annoy as long as it isn't them. My children quite often try to wind my wife and me up[msnmad] but I am quite proud of the way they behave , I would really be the first to tell them off if they annoyed anyone.
On the other hand on a couple of occasions I have had to have words a couple of times with people who have very rudely pushed in front of my 12 year old son at checkouts, when they've assumed he's on his own.
Some children could be unruly on flights due to some health issues, but the rest must be the fault of the parents. perhaps the airlines should start fining people

LiesaAnna
28-12-2004, 04:41
i am with you on this...... my children on the whole are well behaved and i wont tolerate rudeness or bad manners etc of any kind from them and i dont like being on the receiving end of other peoples kids bad manners! luckily on the flights so far have only the one mishap with adults! and no matter how we have been portrayed by others on here we are not unruly or loud mouthed etc, we will defend our kids to the end of the earth if they are right!
can normally get on with the worst behaved kids tho' so will try and chat to them or play with them.......anything to keep on the better side of the family!!

Nostromo
28-12-2004, 05:05
The problem with most 'passengers from hell' is that like most bullies, they sense when they are on to a soft touch and get away with it. I am sure that they get cheap thrills by these so-called 'conquests' over decent people. There is no point in trying to negotiate with such specimens; however distasteful, one may have to bring oneself down to their level to get any leverage in the situation.

LiesaAnna
28-12-2004, 05:08
i feel like i'm a passenger from hell cos of Roberts earlier remarks, you had to be there to see what was happening! its been playing on my mind all day! !
i would never do anything to upset anyone especially in such a confined space for such a long period of time!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
28-12-2004, 05:23
I personally feel that all airline seats should be fixed so they cannot recline as much as they currently do. I think they were made in the days when seat pitch was a lot more generous than it is today so the recline was ok but it does not carry over to the smaller seat pitches we have today. That's my theory anyway [msnwink]

I too agree that parents should keep their children under control and respect other passengers. There is nothing worse than badly behaved children whilst the parent looks the other way and quietly works their way through the free bar service [msnmad]

Having sais that, they are children and it is a flight to one of the most magical places any child can go to so they are naturally going to be very excited and may accidentally kick a seat once in a while. I've had words with other adult passengers who have given my very well behaved children dirty looks after being kicked in the seat back once in a 9 hour flight to Orlando. I reminded them that if they did not want to be disturbed by children perhaps they should try a different destination or pay more for a higher class seat. There is no excuse for bad behaviour towards my children from any passenger just the same as there is no excuse for bad behaviour by my children.

KarenScott
28-12-2004, 11:45
Well said John and Sarah.:D

I agree with you re seat pitch, I feel that in economy all seats should be static as there is just not the room if the person in front reclines theres back you are left with no room - even to try and hold a book in front of you and what gets me most is the people who really slam their seats back with no consideration as if there is no one behind them! I really feel that we are going to have to try a Premium Economy seat and see if these are better!

We too have had the experience of one of our children accidentally kicking the seat in front and the dirty look that ensued! We are very conscious of our children and wanting them to behave well, (which they normally do[msnwink]), they have been flying now from the age of 4months upwards and so are used to cabins but it can happen to anyone even an adult and you just wish that sometimes everyone had a bit more patience.

[:I]

TonyBlenk
28-12-2004, 12:23
Perhaps when the double-decker planes arrive, the Airlines might be more generous with the seat pitch.
I just don't relish the thought of more people at Immigration! :)

Sally D
28-12-2004, 13:08
My children have all been brought up to be polite, well mannered and respectful to others but there are so many now adays that haven't. We always seem to be sitting near these children. Last time we flew I hade a girl of about 10 in front of me who kept sitting forward and then flinging herself back hard into her seat. After about the 20th time she got my knee in her back everytime she did it. Her parents didn't tell her once to stop, if any of mine has done that even once I would of told them to stop. As well as that I had 2 young boys behind me who fought and argued the whole way, their dad didn't even seem to notice. That 9 hour flight felt like a 20 hour one. [msnmad]

linda allen
28-12-2004, 13:14
Having worked as cabin crew for 20 years, like Lucy, I could write a book about passengers from hell, but these are usually a small percentage of travellers. Some problems stem from peoples inconsideration for others(as in reclining seats etc), some from peoples fear of flying being the underlying cause. Alcohol doesn't help matters in some cases. Thankfully smoking is now banned on aircraft, but not smoking can trigger a minority of people into acting completely irrationally. Sometimes I used to think that some passengers left their common sense at the airport! Thankfully the majority of travellers were nice people.

When I travel with my 2 young boys I try to be as considerate as possible to others on board. I take everything we need for the flight, including snacks for the children, just in case they don't like the meal on board. I usually buy new books or small quiet toys for them to play with, which they haven't seen before the flight. I certainly would not alow them to hang over seats and annoy others.At the end of the day they are only children and being children are prone to do the unexpected, so I couldn't guarentee that they are saints on board but I try to occupy them enough to avoid any embarressing situations.

Ray&Sarah
28-12-2004, 13:19
It is sad that alot of parents do not seem to care that their children are annoying other passengers. On one flight we had three very badly behaved children in front of us, and the stewardess was pulling her hair out with the amount of complaints she was getting from other passengers. The parents were sitting two or three rows in front, enjoying the free bar and a nice long nap!!! I think this sort of behavour by parents should be fined.
My children have been flying since the youngest was 4 and they have never been allowed to annoy other pasengers, we have had comments about how well behaved they have been.[msnsmile2]

28-12-2004, 13:22
Children on flights often turn in to passengers from hell due to lazy parenting, most of us here seem to keep our children in check on flights, mine have never been allow to misbehave in any way shape of form but I have seen many who seem to have parents that are deaf dumb and blind! It is becoming more the norm, even in restaurants children seem to be allowed to run riot, its just lazy parenting!!

As crew I would not allow other peoples children to disrupt passengers I made a point of getting them sat back in there seats, I often gave all the children on board extra goodies to encourage them to be good, even inventing competetions to keep them busy, and if all else failed I would get the seat belts signs put on for a bit!!![msnwink]

LiesaAnna
28-12-2004, 13:29
Nice one!:D

Nostromo
28-12-2004, 13:39
I totally agree with Ray & Sarah about fines for the disruptive passengers or parents of disruptive children. A flight to Orlando is magical for everyone on board and it gives no one a licence to misbehave. If people can be sent back for undeclared minor offences committed 20 years ago, surely behaviour of the kind described by some posts above needs similar treatment at the very least. It might not be a bad idea for all flights to have a sort of 'monitor' person whose sole job it is to receive and assess all on-board complaints and decide on the outcome after landing. If such a person has legal powers to impose fines, the additional cost incurred by his/her employment will be made up. Eventually, this will act as a deterrant to those would-be 'flying bullies' and little monsters.

My 10 year old niece (our Godchild) was on her first flight at 5 months of age and since then has been to several flights with her parents and/or us, plus on her own from Madras to Singapore when only 7 years old. She has fun like every other child when and where appropriate, but being well brought-up and trained to be mindful of upsetting other people, has always been extremely well-behaved. We have had more than one crew member complement her on her good behaviour.

Ray&Sarah
28-12-2004, 13:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]It is becoming more the norm, even in restaurants children seem to be allowed to run riot, its just lazy parenting!!

msnwink]
[/quote]

Don't get me started on that subject!!![msnwink]:D

LiesaAnna
28-12-2004, 13:45
but you must remember that its not always the kids! they learn from their parents! so just watch the parents wherever you are and see what they're doing, we've known people in the past that have been the nicest of people you could wish to meet but we hated the kids..... what an awful thing to say but am sorry its the truth!

Katys Grandad
28-12-2004, 14:00
Not meaning to get all philosophical about this but why do we think that standards of behaviour on airplanes should be any different from society as a whole? The situation with people putting their seats back in other people's faces and food is no more than a further example of the "I'm alright Jack" attitude that we all encounter every day of our lives.

We all believe that OUR children are well behaved but so do the people whose children's behaviour we see as unacceptable. It is a brave and perhaps foolish person who is prepared to tell a parent or child that they behave badly - especially in the confined space of a 9 hour flight full of excited, tired and determined parents as well as children.

Fixed seats in economy, a total ban on the sale of alcohol in-flight and, above all, tolerance would help but it isn't going to deal with the problem of some people who see their own enjoyment as the purpose of the flight and everbody on it.

LiesaAnna
28-12-2004, 14:03
if they couldnt drink on the flight they'd make sure that they had more then enough on boarding, that mixed with the adrenalin the body gives on take off could make matters worse

KevinT
28-12-2004, 14:44
Having had my share of passenger behaviour problems, including our last journey where I booked an extra legroom bulkhead seat and was sat next to a man in a vest smelling heavily of drink who was speaking in "grunts" and after takeoff proceeded to lie full length across the bulkhead floor to sleep, thereby taking up everybody's legroom, only stirring when his wife kicked him to advise him that a meal was on its way, after which he slept on the floor again. The cabin crew asked him once to move as he was a hazard to them when pushing trolleys up the aisle, but he moved once until the trolleys ceased and then laid down again!!
On the other side of the coin, I must however mention one couple of with a daughter of around 10. Shortly into the journey they produced a small pack of travel games, and apart from mealtimes the mother and father took it in turns to play all manner of games with the daughter (I don't even think they bothered with the films shown as they were all so involved with the games). Result, amazingly peaceful journey. On leaving the plane I complimented the parents on their daughters good behaviour. Both seemed flattered but did not appear to think that they were unusual. (I wish!!)
I must agree with John about the seats. If the standard pitch was greater - say 32" a lot of the problems for aircrew would vanish overnight. I seem to remember talking with a captain as we both stood in line for the loo and he mentioned about some new legislation coming in "soon" whereby the minimum pitch would be increased. That was about 18 months ago. I wonder what happened to that?

Nostromo
28-12-2004, 14:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
Not meaning to get all philosophical about this but why do we think that standards of behaviour on airplanes should be any different from society as a whole? The situation with people putting their seats back in other people's faces and food is no more than a further example of the "I'm alright Jack" attitude that we all encounter every day of our lives.

We all believe that OUR children are well behaved but so do the people whose children's behaviour we see as unacceptable. It is a brave and perhaps foolish person who is prepared to tell a parent or child that they behave badly - especially in the confined space of a 9 hour flight full of excited, tired and determined parents as well as children.

Fixed seats in economy, a total ban on the sale of alcohol in-flight and, above all, tolerance would help but it isn't going to deal with the problem of some people who see their own enjoyment as the purpose of the flight and everbody on it.
[/quote]

KG, I agree with you entirely that standards of good behaviour should be applicable to society as a whole. But the problem on a long-haul flight is the limitation of options available to the victims to do anything about their flights. If someone annoyed you on the High Street, you can ignore them, turn and walk away on most occasions. On an aircraft, that option is not available.

As for children, we tend to notice only the badly behaved ones because they tend to be 'in your face'. But if we look around, for every 'family from hell', there are at least 5 perfectly good ones, even on a plane. Therefore, I do not see why we should sit back and suffer the disruption meted out by those who fail to take other people into consideration. I can understand giving kids some leeway, but there has to be a limit.

I agree that the changes in seats, alcohol etc suggested would have little effect on bullies. There should be more specific and punishable laws.

Joolz
29-12-2004, 04:10
I agree with the seat idea of no reclining. I get quite cluastrophobic if the seat in front is reclined fully- I never recline it fully (nor allow my children to unless the people behind are also fully reclined and I always ask. You can recline the seats partially just enough to get your head back a little.

As for annoying children- I had an interesting experience with someone elses 7 year old on the return journey this time - I got my seat by the exit and by the 4 loos!! I appreciated the extra legroom but did not appreciate being woken up 4 times [disturbed at least 8 times by people walking into my feet or bashing my video screen into me. Anyway this 7 year old emerged from the loos half way through the journey and waited by my seat for her dad- she saw Dad as he came out of loos and told him she was going to stay and talk to me.... apparently that was fine with Dad[:O] hey what about me!!!! I then got a long series of gobbledey gook about being bored and annoying brothers - I was trying to watch my film - I tried to be polite and talked a little while - then I did the "Im going t0 watch my film now-" so she turned the screen so she could see it - so I did the im going to sleep now ... and she trotted off and kept coming back to see if I was awake- then in the end I just said bye bye Its time for you to go back to your Dad now- -- meanwhile dad was sleeping 8 rows back !! [msnmad]

29-12-2004, 13:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
if they couldnt drink on the flight they'd make sure that they had more then enough on boarding, that mixed with the adrenalin the body gives on take off could make matters worse
[/quote]

Alcohol is the air is 3 times more efective than on the ground, so people who can normally cope with having a few drinks forget that they will get drunk 3 times quicker when in a presurised cabin [msnscared]

Katys Grandad
29-12-2004, 13:47
I find it interesting that the level of consumption of alcohol in-flight is always directly proportionate to whether it is free or not. I must admit that I do usually have wine with my meal if it is free but I don't when there is a charge. I don't miss it when it isn't there.

I don't really understand why airlines offer free alcohol and have limited sympathy with them if they then have problems with passengers who (shall I say) take full advantage of their hospitality.

KJH
29-12-2004, 14:32
The only problem with fixed seats, is 9 hours in the same position. People with even minor back problems would be in agony by the end of the journey. There should be a rule that seats have to be in the upright position for when meals etc are served.

Nostromo
29-12-2004, 14:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KJHewitt
The only problem with fixed seats, is 9 hours in the same position. People with even minor back problems would be in agony by the end of the journey. There should be a rule that seats have to be in the upright position for when meals etc are served.[/quote]

That rule already exists. The crew do make the relevant announcement and most people comply. But you do get the odd specimens who choose to ignore it to get their cheap thrills.

I agree fixed seats will not be practical, especially if people want to sleep. The only answer is for the crew to intervene with offenders; and if they still cannot be made to comply, the crew should have powers to report them after the flight with the possibility of stiff penalties. That will be a deterrant for most would-be miscreants.

gromit
29-12-2004, 15:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
Passengers from hell!!!

Oh please don't get me started on this subject with 20 years as cabin crew I have seen them all!!

I have been spat at, hit by a very famous boxing promoter when I offered him a meal, broke up a fight between two very famous women, I have passengers asking for drinks whilst I have been dealing with medical emergencies, I even had a passenger try to get back onto an aircraft we had just evacuated!! I have had to break up a fight between two very high profile attorneys on a Concorde flight which started because one reclined his seat and spilt red wine over the other! And Yes I also have had a couple of trouble makers met by the Police on landing!

On the other hand I have also had some wonderful flights, met some fantastic people including royalty, pop stars, and the rich and famous, and managed to see most of the world in the process!! So thanks BA!!!
[msnwink]
[/quote]

I also being cabin crew for BA have to say I have experienced some of the above, being hissed at, uniform tugged at, finger pointed at etc, to add to the above. All I will say on the matter or else I would be here all day, is that everyone is entitled to recline their seats during the cruise of the flight, we can't stop somebody from doing so.

However, I don't know about other airlines but we do ask when we come with the meals for the seats to be put forward so that people can eat properly. Most people don't mind at all, on a day flight most people want their meal so are happy to sit and eat properly.

I have seen full blown arguments over reclining seats, seen grown adults kicking the back of seats with children sat in front.....Any disturbance in the air will be dealt with on the ground by security. Just remember to recline seats slowly in case anyone has a drink or something on the table behind. If you have little room, then as long as the seatbelt signs are off go for a little walk to stretch your legs etc. Also we are all guilty of stuffing things into seat back pockets etc, this gives a more cramped feeling especially if the seat in front is reclined, so have a sort out of that too. At the end of the day we all want a nice holiday so don't let the flight spoil that!!!

greenpete
30-12-2004, 04:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Marthas Harbour
Well said John and Sarah.:D

I agree with you re seat pitch, I feel that in economy all seats should be static as there is just not the room if the person in front reclines theres back you are left with no room - even to try and hold a book in front of you and what gets me most is the people who really slam their seats back with no consideration as if there is no one behind them! I really feel that we are going to have to try a Premium Economy seat and see if these are better!

We too have had the experience of one of our children accidentally kicking the seat in front and the dirty look that ensued! We are very conscious of our children and wanting them to behave well, (which they normally do[msnwink]), they have been flying now from the age of 4months upwards and so are used to cabins but it can happen to anyone even an adult and you just wish that sometimes everyone had a bit more patience.

[:I]
[/quote]

We flew with Virgin Premium Economy for the first time on 11th Dec.
It was an experience to say the least! We appreciated the preferential boarding, the champers and various newspapers. We were fortunate to be given bulkhead seats but on the return journey we were quite happy with the pre-assigned ones. Plenty of room even with the seat in front reclining back as far as it would go.

My 'passenger from hell' on the outward journey was the chap sitting behind me. He was slouched, knees bent and legs resting on the window ledge passing wind continuously, you know the sort, silent but deadly! I very nearly asked him if he had a problem and perhaps a visit to the WC.would alleviate the situation. (My husband stopped me!)
The excellent benefit of Premium Economy is that we came off the plane very quickly, shot through immigration before the queues built up, the baggage came on a separate carousel (first class and premium economy). We were in our hire car (Dodge Durango) within 50 mins of getting off the plane. The Dodge was brilliant apart from nearly dislodging my hip trying to get in and out of it. No running board/step!. Overall, I think Premium Economy is worth paying the extra.

Anna

LiesaAnna
30-12-2004, 16:48
farters would drive me nuts!! its just bad manners and sheer ignorance on their part! Thank God i havent come across this one, dont like keep schtmmmmmmmmmmm for to long[msnwink]

brizzle
30-12-2004, 16:53
I thought that the cabins normally had an 'aroma' after a flight and people just become immune to the smell after a while.
Or maybe that's just a bit of fake trivia I heard somewhere.

If it was true I can imagine a short straw being used to decide which one of the ground crew open the door on arrival!!!

Brizzle.

Ray&Sarah
30-12-2004, 16:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
I thought that the cabins normally had an 'aroma' after a flight and people just become immune to the smell after a while.

If it was true I can imagine a short straw being used to decide which one of the ground crew open the door on arrival!!!

Brizzle.
[/quote]

I can imagine it doesn't smell very nice, when those doors open for the first time after a 9.5 hour flight.:D

jolliffee
30-12-2004, 17:28
Maybe that is where that Orlando airport smell comes from?[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
30-12-2004, 17:42
Brizzle.
[/quote]

In many Far Eastern airport shops, you can get a balm, a small dollop of which can be smeared invisibly under each nostril. It smells very pleasant in itself and is very effective in blotting out unwanted odours during a flight. The only snag is that you cannot smell your food as well, but considering the fare dished out by airlines these days, one will not be missing much.

We bought some a while ago in Singapore Airport. I cannot find the little bottle at present, but when I do I'll post its name.

LiesaAnna
30-12-2004, 17:52
todays paper talks to someone who has a fear of catching germs on a plane! so she smears some kind of ointment under her nose, and wears a blanket over her head!!

daxon
30-12-2004, 18:41
Im afraid you could consider my nephew the passenger from hell!!
He cannot abide the smell of the inside of planes & is sick constantly. Luckily we have never had anything but compassion from Air crew & other passengers alike. I think if we are ever to get him on a plane again, hypnotherapy may be the only option. [msnsad]

Nostromo
30-12-2004, 18:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by daxon
Im afraid you could consider my nephew the passenger from hell!!
He cannot abide the smell of the inside of planes & is sick constantly. Luckily we have never had anything but compassion from Air crew & other passengers alike. I think if we are ever to get him on a plane again, hypnotherapy may be the only option. [msnsad]
[/quote]

Certainly not. His problem is a version of airsickness and NOT his fault. In my book, 'Passengers from Hell' are those who intentionally cause discomfort to others or simply don't care as long as they are comfortable themselves.

LiesaAnna
30-12-2004, 18:52
bless thats a shame! i sort of understand that one, coming back from menorca, i was feeling so sick all the way home! had a sick bag under my nose the whole journey! mustve been something i ate as it doesnt normally bother me like that! thank god it was only 2 hours and a bit,
when we got to florida in dec, we had this family sitting opposite us, the 2 year old had a bad ear but was so well behaved as were all the kids and there were many! just as we were getting off the plane the mum of the toddler went in to the galley and really chucked!! she said she felt sick not to long before we arrived, guess she wasnt joking!!!!!!! she felt really bad!!!!!

rosie
30-12-2004, 20:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by greenpete

We flew with Virgin Premium Economy for the first time on 11th Dec.
It was an experience to say the least! We appreciated the preferential boarding, the champers and various newspapers. We were fortunate to be given bulkhead seats but on the return journey we were quite happy with the pre-assigned ones. Plenty of room even with the seat in front reclining back as far as it would go.

My 'passenger from hell' on the outward journey was the chap sitting behind me. He was slouched, knees bent and legs resting on the window ledge passing wind continuously, you know the sort, silent but deadly! I very nearly asked him if he had a problem and perhaps a visit to the WC.would alleviate the situation. (My husband stopped me!)
The excellent benefit of Premium Economy is that we came off the plane very quickly, shot through immigration before the queues built up, the baggage came on a separate carousel (first class and premium economy). We were in our hire car (Dodge Durango) within 50 mins of getting off the plane. The Dodge was brilliant apart from nearly dislodging my hip trying to get in and out of it. No running board/step!. Overall, I think Premium Economy is worth paying the extra.

Anna

[/quote]

Stop showing off Anna [msnwink], it took us 3 hours to clear customs and get the car, the 2 Michaels were not impressed [msneek]. We like to go PE if its just Al & I, and we have enough air miles in the kitty, but decided this time to go economy and save the pennies for the holiday......

LiesaAnna
30-12-2004, 20:05
we went through alot quicker then what we thought we would in dec, thought we'd be there for hours due to finger printing and screening! straight to alamo car hire after getting luggage, again didnt take evry long! we sent off for direct services card that came with booking the car hire! so its dealt with straight away! was very very impressed this time, but next time we all know it could be very different story!!

31-12-2004, 16:21

Brizzle.
[/quote]

Its called 'Eau de Boeing' in the trade!!![msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
31-12-2004, 19:00
Do they bottle it Lucy!![msnwink]:D

carnage200
31-12-2004, 19:02
man i hope i dont get any of your guys issue son my flight tommorw. Mind you two young 20's lads should nt do eh?

Nostromo
31-12-2004, 19:09

Brizzle.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Or "Air-Bus" ?? :D:D

01-01-2005, 11:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

Brizzle.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Or "Air-Bus" ?? :D:D
[/quote]

I have a strange liking for the smell?? My uniform always had it no many how often it was dry cleaned, no accounting for taste eh - I just love all things airline!!! Sad eh![msnwink]

greenpete
02-01-2005, 03:10
Stop showing off Anna [msnwink], it took us 3 hours to clear customs and get the car, the 2 Michaels were not impressed [msneek]. We like to go PE if its just Al & I, and we have enough air miles in the kitty, but decided this time to go economy and save the pennies for the holiday......
[/quote]

I did wonder where you had got to[laugh]. Knowing my luck when we next fly out in April with Pete's parents we shall probably be delayed for hours[msneek].

Anna

rosie
02-01-2005, 04:38
Anna let me know what flight your on as we are planning a trip over again in April/May too [msnsmile]

chunkichik
03-01-2005, 04:10
My children are usually very well behaved, but, I will admit to being petrified on our first Orlando flight!!!! Neither of my two boys (4&6 at the time) had been on a plane before and beciase we flew with Air 2000, no seat back telly!!

We spent an extra £600 upgrading to Premium seats so they would have their own television to watch and not annoy our fellow passengers, ( I was petrified they would annoy others around them not the flying I love it!!) We were actually given individual video players and not televisions, but they behaved perfectly, especially there were only 2 kids films to choose from, I think Ross must have watched Chicken Run 3 times on the way out and at least twice on the return journey.

Our last trip had the Stewardess from hell, very rude, basically called my husband a liar when he asked when the duty free trolley would be coming round, she replied that she already done it, even when several rows in front and behind us claimed not to have been asked!!! She was very cheesed off at having to get something for us and literally snatched the money out of my husbands hand!!, we spoke to the supervisor who did apologise on her behalf, but I wish I could have been a fly on the wall behind that curtain where they hide!!

Anita

03-01-2005, 13:06
Quote: Our last trip had the Stewardess from hell, very rude, basically called my husband a liar when he asked when the duty free trolley would be coming round, she replied that she already done it, even when several rows in front and behind us claimed not to have been asked!!! She was very cheesed off at having to get something for us and literally snatched the money out of my husbands hand!!, we spoke to the supervisor who did apologise on her behalf, but I wish I could have been a fly on the wall behind that curtain where they hide!!

Anita,

I cannot speak for Air 2000, but most crew are aware if they have a bad apple amoungst them. If this ever happens again, get as many details as you can, like the stewardess's name, the area she was working in and who you compained too, and ask for a comments form (if they have them), then please write into the airline concerned. These letters do get put on the person's file and do get delt with and do affect promotion etc. Like wise if you have a exceptionally good stewardess write and tell the airline - it's a great feeling when a passenger gives great feedback!![msnwink]

LiesaAnna
03-01-2005, 13:49
have just this to virgin, i think you all know how worried i was cos they were horrible on our first time to florida, then asking for extra leg room, i know theyre from different parts of the "virgin office" but this time the desk,and steward,stewardesses were fantastic! and i was quick enough to write to Richard Branson and complain, so i thought i would write and praise!, probably wont mean alot there were to many to get names etc from, but i did write times and details......just so he knows some of them know what theyre doing!;)

hurricanesarah
10-01-2005, 04:34
i have tattoos too!

LiesaAnna
10-01-2005, 10:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hurricanesarah
i have tattoos too!
[/quote]

[?]?????????? sorry

CarolAnn
10-01-2005, 11:56
14 years of travelling to the US, mainly Florida, and do you know, reading this thread I have only just realised how lucky we have been, because I really can't think of any bad experiences, I am pleased to say. All economy flights, mainly Virgin, though there have been other companies too.
Here's to everyone travelling in 2005 having a pleasnt experience. :)

jolliffee
11-01-2005, 17:57
Since 1976 I have only had 1 bad experience, that was a very drunk guy sitting next to me. I have no need to bore you with the detail but ended up covered in white powder & I was re-seated. [msncool]