PDA

View Full Version : E2 Visa renewal

NJB
27-12-2004, 05:46
Our E2 Visa expires in April 2005. Has anyone out there renewed an E2?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. i.e how to pay the application fee from the US? How long it takes? How much info did you send?

cheers!!

esprit
27-12-2004, 07:59
Have to say most people I know use an attorney or immigration consultant. I am sure you can do it alone, but you know what they are like, one thing in the wrong place or missing and they will reject the whole lot. I have heard it is relatively easy to get through Texas but it isnt done and dusted until you have been home and been to the embassy for interview. That means leaving your entire life in Florida behine and going home without knowing whether you will be able to get back in, or when. That frightens the hell out of me.

MAKRIDA
28-12-2004, 01:02
We just renewed ours in August 2004 . Like Julie I had the bejeebers scared out of me by the thoughts of going back To UK for an indetermined length of time to renew at an embassy outside the US. It lit enough of a bomb under me to get all our documentation together and get it into the mail by July 8th which was the cutoff date for renewals by mail. I was still a nervous wreck waiting but our package came back ok, no letter or anything, just all the copies of stuff I had sent, with the 2 passports on top with new visas to august 2009. Such a relief. We didn't use an attorney or anything, I just printed the forms and instructions off the website, and followed them carefully, and checked and double checked everything. The payment we made with a business check ($410.00). I'm trying to reassure you but unfortunately I have no idea how it will work now that you can't do that any more. I think you have a years grace from when your old visa expires. ours had expired Feb 2004, but I had renewed our I94 already, which seems to be very important, so even though our visa had technically expired, we were still in legal status because our I 94 is up to Feb 2006. We will have to leave and re-enter again before then , but we usually just do a cruise for that. Sorry for all the waffle, maybe I can write again with more info later.....

NJB
28-12-2004, 09:45
Hi

Thanks for your replies [grouphug]

Can you tell me was the profit for the business more than marginal?
Ours is a new start up business and we are currently making about $2000 profit per month (After all business and personal expenses) after 15 months of trading.

NJB

florida4sun
28-12-2004, 13:45
They will be looking for an owner draw of around $80k for a family of 4. I just had freinds return to the uk as their first renewal was declined, no reason given and they will not reply to any questions. I have no idea why as they had a business every bit as good as ours and we ha no trouble wit renewal. I can only assume the owner draw was not enough.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NJB
Hi

Thanks for your replies [grouphug]

Can you tell me was the profit for the business more than marginal?
Ours is a new start up business and we are currently making about $2000 profit per month (After all business and personal expenses) after 15 months of trading.

NJB
[/quote]

esprit
29-12-2004, 04:29
$2000 per month is low. I dont know how you are living on that and the embassy wont either. You need employees too on renewal, even if you dont have them on initial application. From what I hear on the ground, Martin, it is getting harder and harder in the time since you did yours, Were your friends turned down in Texas or at interview in the UK: I can think of nothing worse than getting to the window and being turned down. It is scaring the wits out of a lot of us. This business of not even having to give a reason for refusal is just marvellous.

florida4sun
29-12-2004, 20:08
They were turned down by london, they were given 180 days to leave the country and thats it. Many letters have gone un answered. The pressure was too much and they left. Its an awful way to be treated.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
$2000 per month is low. I dont know how you are living on that and the embassy wont either. You need employees too on renewal, even if you dont have them on initial application. From what I hear on the ground, Martin, it is getting harder and harder in the time since you did yours, Were your friends turned down in Texas or at interview in the UK: I can think of nothing worse than getting to the window and being turned down. It is scaring the wits out of a lot of us. This business of not even having to give a reason for refusal is just marvellous.

[/quote]

MAKRIDA
29-12-2004, 21:32
scary stuff. I would hope that they may be more lenient with a start up business thats only been going 2 years, than an established business. Is your business showing steady growth since start up ? This is what they would be looking for I think. Good luck with everything, and make sure you renew your I 94 first, it is important that it does not expire. we had friends who renewed their Visa ok, but because they had not renewed the I94 they had to have lengthy interviews with immigration officers at the airport the next time they left the US then tried to get back in. They said it was very nerve wracking as they thought that they were going to be turned away, and their home , business, animals, are here, and they no longer have a base in the UK. They eventually got in, as the officials believed it was a genuine oversight and they had the new Visa, but were given a very stern warning not to let it happen again. This stuff is unbelievable for those of us who are here legally and try to do the right thing.[msneek]

esprit
30-12-2004, 07:35
The Americans make no attempt to do anything about the millions of illegals here and from time to time they even amnesty them, yet things are made harder and harder for legitimates who have done the right thing and pay their taxes and yet they will always be visa holders and never amnestied. The Brits here at the moment on E and L all have the sword of Damocles hanging over us with this new renewal policy, if you read the immigration forums there are horror stories that would fill one with absolute dread. I know only the people for whom things go wrong bother to post, but even so it gives you the collywobbles. Some people get marooned in the UK for weeks, meanwhile their businesses here go to rack and ruin.

NJB
30-12-2004, 22:17
Our business is steadily growing & we do employ three Americans.

Does anybody know anything about the visa extension, which you can do here?

Or, if we have up to 12 months after the visa expires to stay, maybe we should wait til the business has grown a bit more and then apply.

We went back to the UK in July so we have I94 til July '06

esprit
31-12-2004, 07:04
Your problem with doing that is if you needed to go back to the UK for some reason, an emergency whatever, I dont think you would be able to get back in without a valid visa??

florida4sun
31-12-2004, 13:55
Hi,
you need to talk to an attorney, its not good to take and act upon advice given by others in the same situation. The problem being what works for some does not work for for others. There is an extension available. Talk with a good attorney. The last thiong you want to do is give them a tecnicality to refuse your visa, believe me they love that sort of thing.

Our business is steadily growing & we do employ three Americans.

Does anybody know anything about the visa extension, which you can do here?

Or, if we have up to 12 months after the visa expires to stay, maybe we should wait til the business has grown a bit more and then apply.

We went back to the UK in July so we have I94 til July '06

[/quote]

NJB
31-12-2004, 22:38
Hi Martin

Thanks for your advice
I've just checked your background . You're from Bromgrove!!!
I'm originally from Redditch & more recently Droitwich!!
What a small world !!

NJB

florida4sun
31-12-2004, 22:44
Living in Catshill at the moment. My elctrical business gets quite a lot of insurance work in Droitwich. Small world:)

Hi Martin

Thanks for your advice
I've just checked your background . You're from Bromgrove!!!
I'm originally from Redditch & more recently Droitwich!!
What a small world !!

NJB
[/quote]

Frosty
02-02-2005, 03:01
Can i ask you guys what the new policy is with renewals?

I was only just talking with my attorney last week regarding E2 renewal and she told me you could post all the details to London and get preliminary approval before going back, this way there were no suprises when you were in London.

Regards

esprit
02-02-2005, 05:45
There are always surprises. It is up to the person behind the window at interview whether you get the visa or not, there is no real knowing until you have your passport back with the stamp in. The immigration forums are full of people who get approved in Texas and then have problems at interview in London.

NJB
07-06-2006, 00:57
Here is an update on my E2 visa Renewal "story" .

We decided that the business hadn't grown enough to renew(we started our business from stratch). In April 05 when the (2 year) visa expired we applied for an extension of stay through a US attorney. Got that in Sept 05. (five months to wait for an extension)

By this time the business was doing a lot better so we applied for the E2 renewal through the same attorney Nov 05.
We hadn't heard anything by April 06 so ,I emailed the Embassy who said they had[u] not </u> received our documents. Our attorney claimed they had contacted him for some more information that they [u]now </u> required.
It's now June 06 .Seven months later and we still don't know!

By now our business is continuing to grow and we need to move to larger premises. The initial figures we sent to the Embassy are way out of date. I advise anyone intending to renew an E2 prepare yourself for a long wait...... Watch this space .

esprit
07-06-2006, 03:30
The whole thing is a nightmare. Someone on another forum has been waiting since September/October on a renewal and nothing lost, just two requests for further information. Losing documents or claiming the thing never arrived at all seems to be not uncommon. Situation for initial E2 applications is worse, up to a year wait for some. And people are having problems, two years now more than five years, same on renewals and being declined flat not unheard of. Makes it hard to make any plans. People keep saying it is down to this visa officer and she is about to leave but who knows?

NJB
13-06-2006, 21:39
<span style="color:red">[u]</u>Beware of Attorney's</span id="red">

As you can tell I am getting very impatient.I emailed the Embassy yesterday June 12 .They said [u]</u>they have searched everywhere and still haven't received any documents!!
I forwarded this email to the attorney. He admits he only sent the documents two[u]</u> weeks ago!!

It may not be the Embassy's fault after all

esprit
14-06-2006, 03:59
You will be lucky to know ny Xmas then, I know someone in their ninth month of waiting and tge embassy has their documents. Dont some attorneys take the biscuit?

rogerdunnaker
06-07-2009, 23:43
<span style="color:red">[u]</u>Beware of Attorney's</span id="red">

As you can tell I am getting very impatient.I emailed the Embassy yesterday June 12 .They said [u]</u>they have searched everywhere and still haven't received any documents!!
I forwarded this email to the attorney. He admits he only sent the documents two[u]</u> weeks ago!!

It may not be the Embassy's fault after all
[/quote]

Sue the attorney for negligence!!!!!!

esprit
07-07-2009, 01:33
This thread is five years old and hadnt been posted on for three years old before todays post! Interestingly from a nine month wait as I posted above in June 2006, the embassy are now dealing with most applications within a month. Fact is there are far fewer applications now for obvious reasons.