PDA

View Full Version : Jet lag!

LiesaAnna
21-12-2004, 12:03
how can we get through jet lag! still got it!
went to bed at 1am! not tired, didnt got to sleep till after 2am, woke for loo at 3'30am looking out the window, didnt want to go back to sleep! but forced myself, now at 8am am shattered!
arived back 8am thursday!
works do friday, home 12.
bed at 2.30am
and thats how its going on!
so tired!!!! in the mornings which isnt me!
the rate i'm going wont be able to get up christmas morning!!![msnwink]

julieanne
21-12-2004, 13:46
Liesa - think I'm still suffering jet lag and I've been home 11 weeks :D
Or perhaps it's too much time spent at work along with too many boozy nights out [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
21-12-2004, 13:52
oh dear!!!!!! so am going to be dozy for ages then?
am tired now!!!!!!!!!!!!

julieanne
21-12-2004, 13:58
I think the only cure is - another trip to you know where ;)

SunLover
21-12-2004, 14:01
We've always found that if the effects of jet lag seem to be hanging around, then doing some moderate exercise during the day helps you get a better nights sleep when it comes to your regular bed time.

Obviously, avoiding stimulants such a coffee will help too.

julieanne
21-12-2004, 14:21
Sunlover - that's far too practical [msnwink]
My remedy was better [msnsmile2] [msnsmile2] [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
21-12-2004, 14:46
sitting at this computer all day doesnt really help tho does it?
i want to go to florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now.............

julieanne
21-12-2004, 14:55
Me too.

Lets go [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
21-12-2004, 15:14
dont lets bother packing, theres plenty on sale over there!! where shall we meet????

Southsider
21-12-2004, 15:37
The jetlag is the worst thing, the first time we went, it took me weeks to get back to normal. But I got talking to a lady on the plane who told me to make sure and go go bed the minute we arrive home and set the alarm for 3hrs later, get up, then go to bed at around 11.00pm, so we have done that and found it does work. I cant remember her name but it was she who told me about this forum as she ownes a villa.

Tricia

LiesaAnna
21-12-2004, 15:50
last time we had problems with our young daughter who was 8 and a half months pregnant when we got back, i had to take her to the hospital, we sat and waited and waited and the sight of all them beds, i was nearly crying cos i needed to sleep. in the end i had to leave her there, my eyes were stinging!!!!!!!!
this time we went with the flow, except our wonderful son in law (if they were married) turned the heating down, so we were freezing!! we put the gas fire full on!!!!!!!!!!! that was it i couldnt even drink my tea, i became noddy!!! this was ok for an hour but then i woke up, thought i'd go to bed early, friends then phoned us at 10.30/11pm, i didnt know where i was!! so confused, then had to get them up for work and school, then hubbys works do! been ill sat and sun, so am feeling totally knackered!!!!!!!!!!!
have got baby this afternoon for 2 hours, maybe i will go to bed earler tonight,
but thanks Tricia will bear that in mind, sounds like the best idea!!!!!!

SunLover
21-12-2004, 15:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
Sunlover - that's far too practical [msnwink]
My remedy was better [msnsmile2] [msnsmile2] [msnwink]
[/quote]

If it's any help, I believe shopping is counted as "moderate exercise" [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
21-12-2004, 16:53
i dont want to go shopping in this country ever again!!!1 you do notice the difference! here theyre all knocky, pushing and shoving! no happy faces!!
but florida, now going to walmart was a pleasure, especially the old chaps on the way in/out of the door! with his little sticker gun!
oh theyre so sweet the americans!! love em alot!

LiesaAnna
26-12-2004, 01:56
am so tired!!!!still.......... been in bed for 2 hours at 5pm til 7pm, and at nearly 10 am knackered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
help!
didnt affect me the first time we went to florida, same time of year!

KevinT
26-12-2004, 15:18
Hi Liesa,
I guess with everyone being different,jet lag affects some and not others. I find that the journey out causes me no problems, probably because you land in the same "day" which just seems a little longer due to the lost five hours, but coming back psychologically feels like a two day journey as most of the flights out of Florida are afternoon/ early evening so you are up all day to try to make the most of your last day, then travel 8 hours (+5 hours) through the night ( I envy the people who can just sleep through the flight!) then land in the UK in the morning and have the whole of the next day to get through with little or no sleep as you are so wound up from the hassle of the journey. It sounds as though you and I have similar leg/ back problems. My left leg feels like "toothache" most of the time (caused I am told , by a back/ nerve root problem) so I know how you feel. 8 hours in economy seats gives the leg something to howl about! I personally find it helps me to change my watch to UK time just after takeoff and to go to bed for a few hours after arriving home, taking a couple of natural "valerian" type tablets such as Kalms or Nytol which seems to relax the muscles and give you a better quality of sleep.
I do hope that you manage to find something that works for you. Looking at some of the other threads on the subject, I might try the Melatonin solution next time.

Best wishes and hope you get over the jet lag soon. [grouphug]

Ray&Sarah
26-12-2004, 16:11
I too am going to try the Melatonin route next time, it takes me a good week or two to get back to a normal sleeping pattern and I have tried both not going to s;eep when we get back and the going to sleep for 2-3 hours, neither worked![msnsad] So next time will have to give the Melatonin a go.[msnsmile2]

luckylady
26-12-2004, 16:17
Hi all jet laggers
We have been here a week I still have jetlag or something it happens everytime I manage on roughly 4 hours sleep a night my body clocks up the the shoot anybody any suggestions other than hitting the bottle
Barbara

LiesaAnna
26-12-2004, 16:19
look at whats happened to me!!!!!!! i gone gold!

LiesaAnna
26-12-2004, 17:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KevinT
Hi Liesa,
I guess with everyone being different,jet lag affects some and not others. I find that the journey out causes me no problems, probably because you land in the same "day" which just seems a little longer due to the lost five hours, but coming back psychologically feels like a two day journey as most of the flights out of Florida are afternoon/ early evening so you are up all day to try to make the most of your last day, then travel 8 hours (+5 hours) through the night ( I envy the people who can just sleep through the flight!) then land in the UK in the morning and have the whole of the next day to get through with little or no sleep as you are so wound up from the hassle of the journey. It sounds as though you and I have similar leg/ back problems. My left leg feels like "toothache" most of the time (caused I am told , by a back/ nerve root problem) so I know how you feel. 8 hours in economy seats gives the leg something to howl about! I personally find it helps me to change my watch to UK time just after takeoff and to go to bed for a few hours after arriving home, taking a couple of natural "valerian" type tablets such as Kalms or Nytol which seems to relax the muscles and give you a better quality of sleep.
I do hope that you manage to find something that works for you. Looking at some of the other threads on the subject, I might try the Melatonin solution next time.

Best wishes and hope you get over the jet lag soon. [grouphug]
[/quote]

oh well 11 months to go to find some sort of remedy!, mind you i dont think it helps the run up to christmas is so close! it hasnt affected anyone else in my home, well the kids are not getting up (when permitted[msnwink]) till around 12-1pm!! i dont normally allow this but wanted a peaceful christmas , am still sleepy now, and to be honest i havent had as much pain in my left knee since coming back! so the painkillers have been taken less! which can only be a good thing!!
will look into this melatonin for the next trip!

KevinT
26-12-2004, 20:18
Congratulations on the gold stars Liesa.[clap][clap] Must be near some kind of record 2000 posts in 3 months !! (thats if you're not a webmaster or moderator of course!).
I would think that the warmth and humidity will help your knee, same as a warm bath does, except that over here in Winter you get out of the bath into cold air again. [msnsad]
I know when I'm over there my back and leg behave themselves better.

LiesaAnna
26-12-2004, 20:25
mine did after the first few days during the day, but then i couldve just been preoccupied to notice it!!!!!!!!

KevinT
26-12-2004, 23:53
I really think that's part of the magic of the place, there's so much going on that it takes your mind off the discomfort or pain. Even back home here I reckon "mind diversion" is the secret!![msnwink]

LiesaAnna
27-12-2004, 03:24
can only watch the videos with my horrible voice so many times!!!!!! but then theres the photos!!!!!!:D