PDA

View Full Version : New Driver's Guide

Nostromo
20-12-2004, 18:19
In view od the recent horrifying accident on the US27, I wonder if it might be a good idea to have a link on this site that offers points of advice to people who are relatively inexperienced in driving in the US, particularly in Central Florida. Some might hesitate to post a basic sounding question in the 'Driving in Florida' forum for fear of being ridiculed, but anyone can anonymously check the aforementioned link out.

Rich-n-Ang
20-12-2004, 19:16
How about these two :-

http://www.floridahire.com/Tips.aspx

http://www.floridahire.com/Driving.aspx

or did you have something more detailed in mind ?

Nostromo
20-12-2004, 19:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rich-n-Ang
How about these two :-

http://www.floridahire.com/Tips.aspx

http://www.floridahire.com/Driving.aspx

or did you have something more detailed in mind ?
[/quote]

The problem with those links is that they have car rental and cheap flight sublinks, which means that they are automatically disallowed from the OV forums. I was thinking of any link that is permissible by the admins, but along with a few more 'practical' tips to Brits like checking the correct side for traffic etc. The Continental Europeans drive on the wrong side of the road themselves and so will probably be more comfortable under US conditions than Brits, Aussies etc.

Rich-n-Ang
20-12-2004, 19:59
Nostromo,

I'm fairly sure these links won't be disallowed as they are on the Car Hire sites linked to this one, but I can see your point about there being more practical advise, why not volunteer to write something and get John to add it (commission free of course [msnwink])

Rich

steph_goodrum
20-12-2004, 20:16
The best one would be the Florida handbook for drivers which is available to download (although it is quite long) or read online.
www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks.
No amount of reading can allow for a momentary lapse of concentration though, which is what appears to have happened in this tragic instance.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-12-2004, 20:24
It's one of our sites so we have absolutelty no problems with them being posted on the forums [msnsmile2]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rich-n-Ang
Nostromo,

I'm fairly sure these links won't be disallowed as they are on the Car Hire sites linked to this one, but I can see your point about there being more practical advise, why not volunteer to write something and get John to add it (commission free of course [msnwink])

Rich
[/quote]

Joolz
20-12-2004, 20:57
Brilliant idea-

Thanks to this forum we now know what a 4 way sign means at a crossroads..

what does a flashing amber light mean?? We have taken it to mean - proceed with caution... ????

We approached a crossroads last night turning left .... the vehicle facing us, ahead of us (large 6 wheeled thing) did a right turn on red (yes I know its allowed) but it meant that it nearly hit us.... we had nowhere to go and had to dodge the cars behind us and to our left !!! Argh!! We got home safely though!!

Joolz

chrizzy100
20-12-2004, 21:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Joolz
Brilliant idea-

Thanks to this forum we now know what a 4 way sign means at a crossroads..

what does a flashing amber light mean?? We have taken it to mean - proceed with caution... ????

We approached a crossroads last night turning left .... the vehicle facing us, ahead of us (large 6 wheeled thing) did a right turn on red (yes I know its allowed) but it meant that it nearly hit us.... we had nowhere to go and had to dodge the cars behind us and to our left !!! Argh!! We got home safely though!!

Joolz

[/quote]

driving in the USA
Some things to think about when driving in the USA:

An international driver's license is not required in the US.
Check the minimum age limit hire companies specify for drivers - it is often 25 in the USA.
Remember that each of the 50 states has its own set of traffic laws and regulations. Fortunately, most of the laws are the same, but some states have slightly different rules. When you pick up a car, ask the agent if there are any special driving rules in that state.
It is a legal requirement that babies and toddlers are secured in a child seat. If you are not taking your own child seat for babies and toddlers arrange this in advance.
Driving on the 'wrong side of the road' takes a short while to master. 'Think right' each time you get in the car.
If you can, begin your journey in daylight.
In addition to checking the car for any obvious dents and faults, take a few minutes to get to know the car and don't set off before you know exactly where you are going.
Ask the hire car agent for a map and directions (get them to point the direction you want)
Almost all cars are automatic and if that is too much trouble, you can activate cruise control.
Speed limits are lower than in the UK and drivers drive at between 55 and 65mph. Watch out for radar speed traps.
The speed limit in front of every school is 15 mph when the warning lights are flashing. You are required to stop in both directions for any school bus with flashing lights. These rules are strictly enforced in every state and have severe penalties for disobedience.
In many places it is legal to drive on the hard shoulder and people do.
Drivers overtake on the inside and outside, often at the same time.
Be particularly careful at junctions. Traffic lights are usually suspended on cables, gantries or horizontal poles high above junctions.
Traffic lights turn from red to green with no intermediate red and amber stage as there is in the UK. As in the UK there is an intermediate amber-only stage when changing from green to red.
Unless there is a sign to the contrary, you can turn right on a circular red traffic light in many states. You must always come to a complete stop and check that the way is clear before making a right turn on a red light.
If in doubt as to whether a right turn on a red light or red arrow is permitted or not, then you can observe the actions of the vehicle in front. If you are the leading vehicle then you will usually be informed rapidly by the driver of the vehicle behind should you fail to turn where such a manoeuvre is legal.
A flashing amber traffic light is just a caution - you don't need to stop but you do need to slow down and exercise care.
Petrol stations may be pay first, self service or full service. Look for signs in the garage.
Keep change handy for toll booths. It is not unusual for roads near airports to be toll roads.

blott
20-12-2004, 21:07
Flashing amber does indeed mean proceed with caution.

Always stay at the stop line at a Stop sign or at traffic lights until it's safe to go (unless there's a left turn green arrow showing) and don't 'creep' across the junction to wait like you would in the UK.

chrizzy100
20-12-2004, 21:11
I don't think there are any links other then to driving on this...

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.cletheroe/usa_can/driving/left.htm

steph_goodrum
21-12-2004, 01:27
The drivers handbook link also shows the meaning of the traffic signals.

LiesaAnna
21-12-2004, 11:52
Thanks Chrizzy! this is just what i think we all need, good sound advise!
we have in the villa we stayed a file on road use in Florida, and i was so unsure of something, oh i remember a man sat at a turning in the left hand lane on the way to Daytona, and was circling his right arm out of the window, i shouted at steve quick does he need help? whats wrong with him?
he said he was signaling to turn left! doh....... but had to read for myself, and want to be sure of the school buses, at florida pines where we were staying it stopped on a corner! and these tiny little tots all got off and just ran every which way! good job we saw others sit at the side of the road, even tho' it was some of their folks picking them up in a car!

chris
28-12-2004, 14:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
oh i remember a man sat at a turning in the left hand lane on the way to Daytona, and was circling his right arm out of the window, i shouted at steve quick does he need help? whats wrong with him?
he said he was signaling to turn left! doh....... [/quote]

Hey, LiesaAnna you've got me worried now. Do you drive in UK? This signal is universal, I have to use it everytime I turn into my home as it is on a junction and I want people to know I'm actually turning in.[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
28-12-2004, 16:19
yes i do drive here in the UK, but it has been such a long time since seeing someone use this method! i honestly thought he had a problem! sorry me being thick as per usual![msnembarrased]

flyrr100
26-02-2005, 00:04
Chrizzy's list is the best I've seen.
It really doesn't take much to get used to driving here. You were all taught to drive in the UK. Which automatically makes you a better driver than about 99% of all US drivers! It won't be your mistakes that get you into trouble. It'll be the old purple hair'd lady in her Caddilac. Or the 16 year old in his Jeep.
Just remember, when you break the law here you could be hauled away in cuffs and spending a night in jail. That will also kill all your dreams of ever visiting the USA again.
Don't speed. Don't run a stop sign. Don't run a red light. And you'll be safe and have a great vacation.