PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Prayers

MaggieAllan
19-12-2004, 16:07
Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the Babsons and Coles.

LiesaAnna
19-12-2004, 16:21
who are they maggie? not sure what this is about, sorry to seem ignorant

19-12-2004, 16:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
who are they maggie? not sure what this is about, sorry to seem ignorant
[/quote]

Three English tourists have been killed and four children injured in a road crash, a day after arriving in Florida.

Charles Babson, 40, of Mitcham, Surrey, his wife Dawn, 41, and Simeon Cole, 41, from Essex, died when their vehicle hit a lorry on a highway near Orlando.

Four children aged under 10 who were also in the people carrier were seriously injured and are in hospital.

Mr Cole's wife and youngest child were not in the vehicle at the time of the crash on Saturday morning.

Mr Babson, from Brockley, is thought to have been driving to a grocery store on the US27 highway, in Polk County near Davenport, when the crash happened.

Our consular staff in Orlando are assisting relatives and liaising with local authorities regarding the care of the children

Foreign Office spokesman

A Foreign Office spokesman said: ""Two adults died at the scene and a third adult did so later in hospital, his wife at his side.

"The four children, all understood to be under 10, were taken to hospital where at least three were placed in intensive care.

"Our consular staff in Orlando are assisting relatives and liaising with local authorities regarding the care of the children."

The children, Faith Cole, five, Tony Cole, seven, Phoebe Cole, nine, and Robert Babson, nine, were taken to the Orlando Medical Centre and the Heart of Florida Hospital.

Faith and Phoebe were transferred to a paediatric ward at the Arnold Palmer Hospital.

A spokeswoman said Faith was in a stable condition and Phoebe was critically ill.

The driver of the tanker was not injured, police said.

So so sad..........

SunLover
19-12-2004, 16:36
What an apalling tragedy. My heart sank when I heard this on the news :(:(:(

KarenScott
19-12-2004, 16:44
Our thoughts and prayers are with all the families. May the souls of the departed rest in peace.

LiesaAnna
19-12-2004, 16:48
oh my Lord!!!
am so not surprised tho, there were so many accidents there over the 2 weeks we were there! a man was killed crossing the road outside the howard johnson at kissimmee, so many so close! i dont like thier roads! free for all i think most of the time!
God Bless Those poor people and their families and am sorry for my ignorance

Nostromo
19-12-2004, 16:49
Here is the full story. It IS an apalling tragedy. I sincerely hope that the kids make a full recovery.

http://www.itv.com/news/index_2000942.html

It might be that Mr Babson momentarily forgot the direction from which the southbound lorry was coming. I often found myself checking the traffic in the wrong direction at turnoffs because we drive on the opposite side of the road.

benfilo
19-12-2004, 17:20
a terrible tragedy made all the worse by the time of year, I'm sure all thoughts of the forum members are with the families

CASSIEANDMEG
19-12-2004, 17:39
what a terrible tragedy,lets hope these children make a full recovery,

Sally D
19-12-2004, 17:41
So very very sad.

shenon
19-12-2004, 18:55
the most appalling tragedy,our thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-12-2004, 19:08
OMG - that's awful. Our thoughts are with the families concerned [msnsad]

poohbear
19-12-2004, 19:31
a terribe terrible tragedy my heart goes out to all invoved and their poor families. i know what it is like to loose a loved one in these circumstanes, it will be a sad sad time for a long long time.
god bless.

Semper
19-12-2004, 20:02
Awfull tradgedy. I hope the survivours make a speedy recovery. Thoughts and best wishes to all involved.

LiesaAnna
19-12-2004, 20:08
what makes me feel so sick is, on Tuesday evening we came from walmart (new one) and was heading along the us27, we were going to take pics of the houses with deccies up, a lorry with lights all around came along in the opposite direction, steve thought in a strange moment that these lights down the side were that of the start of the road we wanted to enter and went to pull into it! the lorry had 2 rows of bulbs yellow going from top to bottom and a row going down the side! we all thought it was the road, we started to pull over and hit the kerb, which made us all wonder what was happening!
mistakes can be made, Thank God steve didnt drink and drive his reactions couldve been worse!
Bless those poor families!

linda allen
19-12-2004, 21:42
It is very sad, what a desparate situation. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Ray&Sarah
19-12-2004, 23:18
A terrible tragedy, our thoughts are with the family and friends of these two families.

Cowboy
20-12-2004, 00:17
This is so very, very sad.Our thoughts and prayers are with all concerned, especially Mrs. Cole. The poor lady must be devastated.
We sincerely hope the 4 young ones make a full recovery.
God Bless.
Mike and Kath.

julieanne
20-12-2004, 01:56
So difficult to find the right words to say in these circumstances.
Dreadful, dreadful news.
I can only echo all the above sentiments.

God Bless.......

Chloe
20-12-2004, 05:06
The thought of it just makes the blood run cold. Those poor people. Chloe

Joolz
20-12-2004, 09:29
this is so terrible!
We are in Orlando at the moment - All my family have been telling me I'm paranoid in the car - I make them ride in silence while my husband is driving at night - because its not easy to see where to turn - the roads seem so badly lit and it is easy to miss an opening for turning across the traffic- and the last thing we need is any more distractions...
i will stick to my decision of silent passengers at night time now!!

It's inconceiveable what Mrs Cole must be experiencing....

Lynnes
20-12-2004, 12:19
OMG Our thoughts and pryarers are with the family and all their friends. This was probably a dream holiday for them, at this time of the year it seems - well what can I say. God Bless

Jill
20-12-2004, 14:13
This morning our local radio station was talking to the police involved with this tragic accident. They said they had been able to move Mr and Mrs Babson's son to a hospital nearer to his aunt. I was also pleased to hear that the other children are still alive albeit seriously injured and hopefully they will all make a full recovery. I was also pleased to hear that Mrs Cole is not alone at this dreadful time as she has a sister with her which must be of comfort to her.

We have made the same turn at this same junction and at the back of my mind is that saying 'There but for the grace of God go I' especially as we had left our 2 boys in our villa.

Nostromo
20-12-2004, 15:16
I read a Reuters report which mentioned an initial police conjecture that Mr Babson had probably overshot his turn into the store and then tried to do a U-turn to go back.

Good to hear that the kids are slowly recovering.

LiesaAnna
20-12-2004, 15:52
its really upsetting me! this is where we went passed everyday when we went out and spent so many hours at that walmart they were probably off to, only a week ago, and so close to where steve nearly had a crash! the roads are so dangerous not lit up like ours!
just cant get them out of my mind!

ujpest doza
20-12-2004, 16:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
I read a Reuters report which mentioned an initial police conjecture that Mr Babson had probably overshot his turn into the store and then tried to do a U-turn to go back.

Good to hear that the kids are slowly recovering.
[/quote]

Orlando Sentinel report something similar. He had missed the turn off for the 192 and had entered the next available road to turn around and go back. It would obviously be dark at the time as well as the accident occurred at 4AM.
Very very sad news.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/southwest/orl-locbritsdie20122004dec20,1,3935755.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

CarolAnn
20-12-2004, 16:04
What awful news. My thoughts are with the families concerned.

wrpac00
20-12-2004, 16:26
This was on the Evening Standard website-
A British mother was today keeping a bedside vigil by her critically ill daughter after half her family were killed in a road crash while on holiday in Florida.

Denise Cole, 42, lost her accountant husband Simeon, 41, her sister Dawn Babson and her brother-in-law Charles Babson on a trip to a shop for food.

Her daughter Phoebe, nine, is fighting for her life in hospital after Mr Babson apparently got lost and pulled out in front of an 18-wheel fuel tanker as he tried to perform a U-turn on the highway.

Mrs Cole's younger daughter Faith, five, was also seriously injured along with the Babsons' seven-year-old son Toni. The Babsons' elder son, Robert, nine, suffered a broken arm and shock.

The crash happened within hours of the group arriving at their timeshare holiday home near Davenport, Florida, in the early hours of Saturday. Mrs Cole, a solicitor, stayed with her sixmonthold daughter Chloe while City IT expert Mr Babson, 40, took the rest of the party to find a 24-hour shop in their rented Dodge people carrier.

Police found a map and directions to the shop on the lap of conveyancing solicitor Mrs Babson, also 40, and have concluded they had missed a turning and were trying to turn around when the lorry hit them. Mr Babson may have looked the wrong way to check for traffic. State trooper Larry Coggins said: "It seems Mr Babson was lost and drove in front of a trailer truck as he tried to cross the highway. Mr and Mrs Babson died at the scene and Mr Cole died later with his wife at his bedside."

Mrs Cole is said to be "struggling to cope" as she watches over Phoebe and visits another ward to check on Faith who is off the critical list. Her two orphaned nephews are also being treated at the Arnold Palmer Hospital. Several relatives are flying out to the US.

Neighbours of the Babsons in Mitcham, Surrey, spoke of their shock. Emeka Maddy, a 20-year-old bio-medical student who looked after one of the children, said: "They used to help me with my IT work. They were really nice."

At the Coles' home in Dagenham, their Latvian au pair Anna Strelkova, 20, said the family had been due home on New Year's Day. "They were really excited about going on their holidays, especially the children. It is so sad," she said.

The tanker driver was unhurt and is not expected to face charges.

It would appear from this article that they had missed their turn and had the accident doing a U turn. Funny thing is that they had a time share so you would have thought they were used to driving on the other side of the road. It could been a number of things, distracted by someone else in the car, being early in the morning and not being 100% with it, it's tragic whatever the reason. They did not stand a chance with an 18 wheeler hitting them, the poor old driver must be really shook up but he is not to blame.

djdigitald
20-12-2004, 17:16
Our thoughts are with the families :(

Nostromo
20-12-2004, 19:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
It would appear from this article that they had missed their turn and had the accident doing a U turn. Funny thing is that they had a time share so you would have thought they were used to driving on the other side of the road. It could been a number of things, distracted by someone else in the car, being early in the morning and not being 100% with it, it's tragic whatever the reason. They did not stand a chance with an 18 wheeler hitting them, the poor old driver must be really shook up but he is not to blame.
[/quote]

I think it could have been a combination of all of those. They had arrived 'only a few hours before' and were probably still jetlagged. Mrs Babson, who was apparently reading the map, probably exclaimed that Mr B had missed their turn - in a manner that all of us tend to do. In his haste to turn around, Mr B probably checked for traffic in the wrong direction and pulled out in front of the southbound lorry. That's why Jerome Washington is not being blamed. The poor guy is probably in a state of shock and could be traumatised for life for no fault of his.

chrizzy100
20-12-2004, 19:26
We have lived here 5 years...and my husband still looks the wrong way last sometimes.....and we are forever having to do U turns to find the turn to our own house in FL.......the roads are very dark in the USA....you have to be very careful turning into a road.....we miss the road to Orlando from the airport every trip......

LiesaAnna
20-12-2004, 21:03
so easy to do! whenever we were out and returning in the dark, we would be all eyes for steve, and many times we pulled in suddenly cos our turning was there!
my eyes have been filling up and i cant get them out of my mind, you know what i was like when we were building our countdown, i imagine thats what they were all doing and how they were all looking forward to florida! poor loves wish i could turn back the hands of time!

chrizzy100
20-12-2004, 21:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
so easy to do! whenever we were out and returning in the dark, we would be all eyes for steve, and many times we pulled in suddenly cos our turning was there!
my eyes have been filling up and i cant get them out of my mind, you know what i was like when we were building our countdown, i imagine thats what they were all doing and how they were all looking forward to florida! poor loves wish i could turn back the hands of time!
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing about the countdown......I also keep thinking about the poor lorry driver.....he must be in deep shock right now.....

LiesaAnna
20-12-2004, 21:16
my heart goes out to them all ...Truely.....[grouphug]

ahagan
20-12-2004, 23:10
I haven't been able to get them out of my mind either. Poor Mrs Cole to lose your sister, husband, brother-in-law and have injured children and a baby to look after. Very sad indeed.

jtijani
21-12-2004, 19:41
May I just say that the lady in question Mrs Cole visits this site regularly just before they travel, I actually introduced her to this site. Not sure whether she registered her details or what name. I will sure pass everyone's thoughts and prayer to her, when we see her on Sunday.

julieanne
21-12-2004, 19:47
Didn't realise you knew the family.

Please let them know that there are many of us on this site who are thinking of and praying for them at this time. I know I can't stop thinking of them.

God Bless

Champagne
21-12-2004, 20:10
So very sad but please let's have the safety of Orlando roads in perspective. Horrific car accidents happen in the UK too.

If you've not driven in Florida before please don't let it frighten you too much. My partner actually prefers driving over there. He finds the cars smoother, the pace of driving more leisurely and finding our way around generally easier than in the UK - we play smooth jazz on our radio and find that very soothing when we first arrive...

julieanne
21-12-2004, 20:26
I agree with Champagne - I do all the driving in Orlando and much prefer it to driving in the UK.

Obviously if it's your first time it will strange at first. But as you long as you take your time, stay calm you will do ok.

E. Cosgrove
21-12-2004, 21:49
sensible comments Champagne, I agree.

LiesaAnna
21-12-2004, 23:27
steve my hubby says the same its leisurely driving in florida, but when your jetlagged, so tired and hungry and excited, these things never happen to you its always someone else!.......not!
just everyone please be careful on the roads here and abroad in ANY country!

Semper
22-12-2004, 04:12
I found the roads safer over there, I must say. Certainly saw a lot more police on the roads. I found the dangerous time was after a week or so when I became a bit more relaxed. Then I turned out of a petrol staion into the on comming traffic. Luckily it was near a junction and everything was going very slow. Nothing happened apart from a few blown horns and a red face on my part.

Please stay switched on. Let the jetlag clear it self before making any long journies.

Nostromo
22-12-2004, 12:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Semper

Please stay switched on. [/quote]

I think 'staying switched on' is an important part of driving in the USA. Everything is so predictable and orderly compared to the UK that one might relax a shade too much after a week or two over there. Generally, driving along open roads is not a major problem because of the lanes and traffic flow, but turing in and out of shopping malls, restaurants, parks etc can sometimes lead to mistakes, especially after a long and exhilarating day.

mm69340
22-12-2004, 17:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Semper

Please stay switched on. [/quote]

I think 'staying switched on' is an important part of driving in the USA. Everything is so predictable and orderly compared to the UK that one might relax a shade too much after a week or two over there. Generally, driving along open roads is not a major problem because of the lanes and traffic flow, but turing in and out of shopping malls, restaurants, parks etc can sometimes lead to mistakes, especially after a long and exhilarating day.
[/quote]

You are correct here and it can happen to anyone. We almost lost my 17 year old cousin to such a move this summer. She was pulling out of a shopping mall and we still aren't clear if she checked both ways-as her memory is gone of the accident. She pulled out in front of a huge SUV and had to be cut out of the car and air lifted to a trauma center. She was in a coma for 2 months and is slowly regaining use of her left side. My cousin and My Uncle are convinced the car saved her-as it had side airbags. If they had not been there, the outcome would have been more tragic.

My thoughts and prayers are with the whole family.

Magical Dreams
22-12-2004, 17:59
It always saddens me when you hear of these accidents. What makes it more sad, is the fact that it is fellow Brits that have died.

Lets not forget the others that suffer also.

These are other crashes in the last couple of days!!

Turnpike crash in Clermont injures 5 as car crosses median
December 22, 2004
In another crossover accident on Florida's Turnpike, five motorists were injured Tuesday morning in a multiple-car collision near Clermont. The crash occurred when the 20-year-old driver of a 1999 Mitsubishi lost control of the vehicle, entered the...

1 killed, 2 injured in head-on crash on I-4
December 21, 2004
By Anthony Colarossi / Sentinel Staff Writer
A deadly head-on crash on Interstate 4 snarled traffic for hours Monday afternoon after a Honda that witnesses said was traveling at high speeds jumped a median and plowed into an Oldsmobile in the eastbound lanes. Three cars were involved in the...

How awful!!

[msncry]

Lets hope that this is the last this year, hopefully the last for good!!

[grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug]

Nostromo
22-12-2004, 19:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mm69340
You are correct here and it can happen to anyone. We almost lost my 17 year old cousin to such a move this summer. She was pulling out of a shopping mall and we still aren't clear if she checked both ways-as her memory is gone of the accident. She pulled out in front of a huge SUV and had to be cut out of the car and air lifted to a trauma center. She was in a coma for 2 months and is slowly regaining use of her left side. My cousin and My Uncle are convinced the car saved her-as it had side airbags. If they had not been there, the outcome would have been more tragic.

My thoughts and prayers are with the whole family.
[/quote]

I hope that the young lady recovers to something close to a normal life.

It could have very easily happened to us during the last visit. My brother-in-law, the nominated co-driver, took the wheel for the first time on the third day of our arrival in Orlando. For him, it was the first time on the 'wrong' side of the road and so I was extra vigilant in the front passenger seat. Sure enough, he looked to his right instead of left while trying to pull out of the main entrance of Orange Tree onto US27. I managed to yell for him to stop in good time; the light Sunday traffic also helped.

Joolz
29-12-2004, 05:21
Whilst we were out there there over christmas were a number of pedestrians killed crossing on 192- another driver killed at a walmart entrance and one fatality as car turned into a petrol tanker....

The Walmart in Poinciana was the only one which had good signing... on the road and at junctions.

I seem to have developed car sickness as a passenger again!!!!!! and got in the drivers seat as soon as I could - just to gain some control again- I was a passenger all time in US as I left my drivers licence in UK!!!!

linda.s
06-01-2005, 20:01
Unfortunately my Husband used to work with Charles, and knew him quite well......... He was a lovely fellow, and respected by many. Our hearts go out to his relatives......