PDA

View Full Version : most memorable TV moments

flyrr100
11-12-2004, 18:35
This week we had a series of shows listing the 100 most memorable TV moments. Here's the top 5:
5. The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show 1964
4. 'I Have A Dream' the 1963 speech by Martin Luther King
3. The Challenger Explodes 1986
2. 'One Small Step....' The Moon Landing 1969
1. 9/11

It'd be interesting to see the British take on the same subject.
On my list might be:
'They Think It's All Over.....' 1966 World Cup Final
Tommy Cooper Dies Live on Sunday Night at the Palladium
'Four Candles' The Two Ronnies Hardware Sketch
Del and Rodders finally are millionaires
Chelsea Beating Leeds at Old Trafford 1970

I've been here since the mid eighties so I've missed 20 years of British television. Anyone else have any 'moments' for the list?

flyrr100
11-12-2004, 18:57
Interestingly, Walter Kronkite (The USA's most famous news anchor from the 60s & 70s) argued that the Moon Landing should be number one. His argument was that we all remember great dates in history. 1492 Columbus sails to America, 1621 First Thanksgiving, 1773 Boston Tea Party, 1776 Declaration of Independance.
I argue that great tragic dates also stick out. 1898, USS Maine was sunk in Havannah Harbor. 1965, Lincoln Assasinated in Washington. 1941 Japan Bombs Pearl Harbor. 1963 JFK Assasination. 2001, Trade Center Attacked.
Makes for an interesting conversation though.
Oh, anyone getting ready for US Citizenship, all those dates are important!

Snapper
11-12-2004, 20:01
Germany 1 - England 5

andrewmckay5
11-12-2004, 20:54
He must have been getting on a bit by then Jeff[msnwink]

"1965, Lincoln Assasinated in Washington"

flyrr100
11-12-2004, 22:17
Yup... he was a little old!
LOL
You got me!
1865... Fords Theatre... Washington DC... John Wilkes Booth shot President Lincoln through the skull with a Derringer single shot Black Powder pistol.
Booth was shot and killed about a week later, by some U.S Cavalry troopers, hiding in a barn in Virginia. His eleged last words were, while looking at his hands... "useless, useless.....'

andrewmckay5
11-12-2004, 22:41
Jeff,
I'm sure you've been to Washington D.C. but for those who haven't, when we visited a few years back you could atually go in the house opposite the theatre where Lincoln died.
I thought Washington was a lovely and interesting city to visit.
andrew

Cruella DeVilla
12-12-2004, 01:02
Del boy falling through the bar when he was trying to be a yuppie! The Batman one comes a close second!

Nostromo
12-12-2004, 02:49
I think the very last scene of the final episode of Blackadder Goes Fourth is mesmerising. It gives a totally new dimension to the series.

SunLover
12-12-2004, 03:03
Seeing the news report that Jeffrey Archer had been sentenced to jail always brings a smile to my face, but failing that, Del Boy falling thru the bar runs a close second :)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-12-2004, 03:24
Del Boy and the falling chandelier does it for us every time :D:D:D<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SunLover
Seeing the news report that Jeffrey Archer had been sentenced to jail always brings a smile to my face, but failing that, Del Boy falling thru the bar runs a close second :)
[/quote]

blott
12-12-2004, 03:52
Gotta be the 'four candles' Two Ronnies and all the Only Fools and Horses episodes mentioned already for the funnies, as well as the Kennedy assassination in 1963, the first moon landing in 1969 (which I watched live) and the 9/11 scenes which we also watched live.

chrizzy100
12-12-2004, 04:35
My dad was at the space centre and asked if they could land on the moon on my birthday....for years I thought they did because of that....LOL!

Jules
12-12-2004, 04:58
Morecombe and Wise preparing breakfast to the stripper music,the timing is perfect and Del boy falling through the bar have to be 2 of the funniest T.V moments.

MaggieAllan
12-12-2004, 13:54
My top 5 are

5. One small step
4. Margaret Thatcher walking out of No 10
3. Live Aid
2. 1971 Wembley RL Challenge Cup...Alex Murphy being carried off...Leigh beat Leeds
1. 9/11

I can remember where I was and who I was with for all of them.

I love all the comedy moments mentioned previously as well.

Fletch
12-12-2004, 16:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
My dad was at the space centre and asked if they could land on the moon on my birthday....for years I thought they did because of that....LOL!
[/quote]

What a lovely story! Brought a smile to my face [msnsmile2]

Fletch
12-12-2004, 17:04
Ok, now I've had time to think about this one. If we're talking about "live"/breaking news events on TV, mine would be the following:

1. Diana's death - I was never a fan of
Princess Di, but I was devastated
when I turned on the TV that morning and heard what had
happened. At first, I didn't realise who they were talking
about, but when it sank in I burst into tears. I still don't
know why it had such a profound effect on me.

2. 9/11. The only reason this didn't come first in my list is
that I didn't see any of it live (thank goodness) and therefore.
as terrible as it was, it didn't have the same "shock" impact
as my number one choice. I was listening to my car radio when
news came in about a plane crashing into the WTC. I watched
the news report that night, but chose not to watch any further
coverage after that. Love and blessings to everybody who was
directly affected that day.

3. Michael Buerk's report on the starving people of Africa.
It is unbelievable that, 20 years later, we are still unable to
provide everyone on this planet with the basics of clean water,
enough food to sustain life and a roof over their heads.
I could get all political, but this isn't the right place!![gun] [gun]

4. Bobby Kennedy's assassination. I was on a school trip to
Castle Howard when somebody told our group about it (they had
heard it on the radio). I wasn't very old but I remember
being terribly upset. Having seen footage of John Kennedy's
assassination on TV already, I think I was feeling very upset
for their family!! When I saw the TV coverage later, I cried.

5. Tommy Cooper dying on stage. I remember watching him slide
gracefully to the floor with a glazed look in his eyes. What
will stay with me forever is the sound of laughter from the
audience who obviusly thought it was part of the act.

Epic
13-12-2004, 19:06
One of the most memorable tv moments for me was waking up around 7.30 am and hearing that princess Diana had been killed and sitting there all day watching the tv right up until i went to bed that night.totally shocking and listening to the news all day about her life etc was just strange.another time i watched tv all day was the 9/11 attacks.still to this day i find it unbelievable that happened.
On a lighter note all the only fools episodes never get old and are still as funny to this day [clap]

Em

chrizzy100
13-12-2004, 20:17
I was watching a news channel on 9/11 about a terrorist being sentenced that morning in New York city.....you heard this sound and a few minutes later people came onto the screen covered in ash....the news reporter stopped one guy to ask what had happened and he told the reporter about the plane hitting the first tower.....I look on the PC news....and it was there.....next thing the report had gone from the online news....on the TV news you could still see people heading towards the towers to help........doctors...nurses....I keep wondering if they got back safe or not......

Magical Dreams
13-12-2004, 21:22
Diana, Princess of Wales died on Sunday, 31 August 1997 following a car crash in Paris

911, Still can't believe that happened!

Hungerford Massacre

Lockerby Plane Crash

Michael Burke reporting on the Starving (Live Aid begins)

Sorry amended my first one, didn't want it to cause a debate

Semper
23-12-2004, 04:09
One of the earliest for me was the Challenger disaster. Was around 14 at the time I think.

Definately Del boy falling through the bar.

Lockerbie.

Diana.

9/11.

And best recent feel good moment on TV was the kiss at the end of The Office Christmas special.

LiesaAnna
23-12-2004, 04:17
Dunblane poor kids!
my mum passed away suddenly the evening before! absolutely devastated but i believed she went before the kids in order to help in heaven!

princess Dianas death! devastated!
her funeral!! cried more over her then my mum i think!

spaceship that went up and blew up, i told my kids "come sit in front of the TV and watch this, its history, theyre going into space!"

made them move pretty quickly! Bless the poor souls!

and of course never ever forgetting 9/11..............

mollymoo
24-12-2004, 19:51
<h3>ON A MORE CHEERY NOTE</h3>

Its got to be Del boy falling through the bar it makes you laugh even when you know its coming!!!!

My husband's TV moment is Paul Burrell eating a Kangaroo's Testicle on I'm a celebrity
[xx(][xx(][xx(]

Kerry-Ann

flyrr100
24-12-2004, 23:54
Not necessarily a favorite, but Bill Grundy and the Sex Pistols was interesting. I was having dinner with my mother when it aired. I almost died!
These are some great quotes, see if you can identify them:

They think it's all over.......
One small step for man.......
I have a dream.......
.......ask what you can do for your country.......

Have a safe and happy holiday weekend. May Santa be good to you.[xmas2]

MaggieAllan
25-12-2004, 00:03
Flyrr...you just made me go red as it made me remember what it was like at home...I had to put my face in the pillow whenever there was anything 'risky' on telly. Mum & Dad always made loud spluttering noises if something unsuitable came on and coughrd etc until one of them could get to the Tv to turn over, as they rustled their newspapers and hid behind them. I also remember my first tastes of alcohol...comong home watching Kojak and Parky with one eye open pretending to be normal. I'm so glad I'm old enough to relax now!!!!

MaggieAllan
25-12-2004, 00:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MaggieAllan
Flyrr...you just made me go red as it made me remember what it was like at home...I had to put my face in the pillow whenever there was anything 'risky' on telly. Mum & Dad always made loud spluttering noises if something unsuitable came on and coughed etc until one of them could get to the Tv to turn over, as they rustled their newspapers and hid behind them. I also remember my first tastes of alcohol...coming home watching Kojak and Parky with one eye open pretending to be normal. I'm so glad I'm old enough to relax now!!!!
[/quote]

CarolAnn
25-12-2004, 20:11
Agree with Princess Diana's Funeral, and 911. I can't tell you how that affected me. Diana's funeral, was like I had lost a a friend, we watched the car go by to Althorp too...

LiesaAnna
25-12-2004, 20:18
carolAnn
i know what your saying, it was the same for me, i cried all day!!!!
felt so incredibly sad!

orlandobabe
31-12-2004, 23:22
I was in Cannes when Princess Diana died and we knew nothing about it till I rang home about 10pm in the evening-then my mum told us.

I can't tell you what a shock it was-we went for a walk into Cannes-but we were just so shocked-everything seemed unreal.

The next day we were at the market and a german tourist came up and sympathised with us.

We got home two days after the funeral-and that was so weird as well as we travelled some of the route her coffin took and there were still flowers at the sides of the M1.

It was a really strange feeling. I felt like we had been on another planet. It seemed like the whole country had taken part in something we had been excluded from.

We were also in France when the Queen Mother died too!

flyrr100
04-01-2005, 21:46
Flyrr...you just made me go red as it made me remember what it was like at home...I had to put my face in the pillow whenever there was anything 'risky' on telly. Mum & Dad always made loud spluttering noises if something unsuitable came on and coughrd etc until one of them could get to the Tv to turn over, as they rustled their newspapers and hid behind them. I also remember my first tastes of alcohol...comong home watching Kojak and Parky with one eye open pretending to be normal. I'm so glad I'm old enough to relax now!!!!
[/quote]

It was the same at my house when I was growing up. No Monty Python, no Alf Garnet, no Steptoe & Son. We would all hold our breath when there was even mild profanity on the TV. Even a '[bad language filtered out] Hell' made us all blush!
But now I respect my late father's ethics. I wish we could go back and be without Springer etc....

benfilo
05-01-2005, 01:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
[/quote]

It was the same at my house when I was growing up. No Monty Python, no Alf Garnet, no Steptoe & Son. We would all hold our breath when there was even mild profanity on the TV. Even a '[bad language filtered out] Hell' made us all blush!
But now I respect my late father's ethics. I wish we could go back and be without Springer etc....
[/quote]

It was similar for me, never used bad language in front of my parents either (meant to say I've never sworn) whereas today with that type of language the norm especially on reality shows(gritted teeth) kids just spout it all the time (little ***##**#)
just goes to show our parents had a point.
TV moment one that sticks out for me which is not a trgedy is appollo 11, I was 10 and it made me dream of goint to the space center, but never thought I'd be able to go. only took me another 20 years[msnsmile2]

ahagan
05-01-2005, 16:40
Princess Diana's death - I was so upset. I actually saw it from 2 am shortly after the crash. We had a party and the last guests left at 2am so I switched on the telly to CNN because I couldn't sleep. And when it was announced that she had died around 4am I didn't go back to sleep. Couldn't believe it. Walked around like a zombie for the rest of the day.

9/11 is also very memorable

Only Fools always makes me laugh and I agree my favourite is Del falling at the bar followed closely by the chandelier. I still laugh even thinking about it.