PDA

View Full Version : Frequent Flyer schemes

Katys Grandad
10-12-2004, 11:15
Although probably not as often as many on this site, I have been flying to the US for holidays regularly over recent years. My usual approach to flights has been to find the best deal and go with it irrespective of who the carrier is. As a result, I have small quantities of 'frequent flyer' miles with a variety of airlines. None of these are at a sufficient level for me to claim rewards but I'm pretty sure I'd be in a stronger position if I had stuck with 1 carrier.

Anybody got advice on which is the best scheme and whether it is worth staying loyal to a carrier?

Nostromo
10-12-2004, 11:20
Why don't you try joining WEXAS? My wife and I find that they offer very good deals for flights, car hire and particularly hotels all over the world. They deal with almost all the major airlines.

Ray&Sarah
10-12-2004, 11:58
Ray has frequent flyer cards with most of the major airlines, as he travels alot for work. They are all pretty much the same to be honest. He has collected a fiar number of miles but not enough really to go anywhere with. We joke that he could get half way to Florida on one airline and then switch mid flight to another.[msnsmile2]

Katys Grandad
10-12-2004, 12:11
Exactly my problem - except that I would have to change flights about 6 times!!!

Matt
10-12-2004, 14:50
I'm with Virgin Flying Club who offer great deals with many different ways to collect miles other than just flying.

They are also linked to a number of other airlines where you can collect miles from too, such as BMI who we use through work all the time so therefore get miles for those flights too even on heavily discounted tickets.

I also have a BA Exec Club Card, but miles are not given on discounted flights and the miles needed for a freebie are high.

Matt

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-12-2004, 15:01
We're with Virgin's Flying Club too as Virgin are the only direct carrier from Manchester to Orlando so we always fly with them. I now have enough points for a free economy round trip ticket to Orlando and also Silver membership of the scheme which means I can go to the shorter Premium Economy checkin even if I am flying economy [msnsmile]

The points did not take that many trips to accumulate unlike BA's Exec Club which is a total waste of time unless you pay full fare on each of your tickets.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Matt
I'm with Virgin Flying Club who offer great deals with many different ways to collect miles other than just flying.

They are also linked to a number of other airlines where you can collect miles from too, such as BMI who we use through work all the time so therefore get miles for those flights too even on heavily discounted tickets.

I also have a BA Exec Club Card, but miles are not given on discounted flights and the miles needed for a freebie are high.

Matt
[/quote]

jolliffee
10-12-2004, 15:55
These schemes only work if you dedicate yourself to earning the points. There is a need to reguarly fly with them too so chances are you do better by looking for the deals. The best I ever did from a frequesnt flyer program was two free 1st class tickets round the world that included Marriot Hotels and Hertz hire cars: I sold them since I had three children and no hope of using them. Currently I have about 8,000 BA miles and ditto Air Miles, just enough to get me down the jetway. But I do have 154,219 Marriot reward points that Pamela intends to blow on some exotic vacation.[msncool]

Nostromo
10-12-2004, 16:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
Currently I have about 8,000 BA miles and ditto Air Miles, just enough to get me down the jetway. But I do have 154,219 Marriot reward points that Pamela intends to blow on some exotic vacation.[msncool]
[/quote]

Better make sure that you're included in her plans! :D:D

jolliffee
10-12-2004, 17:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
Currently I have about 8,000 BA miles and ditto Air Miles, just enough to get me down the jetway. But I do have 154,219 Marriot reward points that Pamela intends to blow on some exotic vacation.[msncool]
[/quote]

Better make sure that you're included in her plans! :D:D
[/quote]

Nice one, [msnwink]

Snapper
10-12-2004, 18:15
I'm a bit of a fan of BA's exec club personally, although I don't score as many upgrades now that I've lose my silver status.

One thing I like about is that I use a BA amex card, which gives me 1 mile for each £ I spend. I put all my business expenses through on that card wherever possible so the miles add up quite quickly. The other big bonus is that for each £10k spent via the Amex card they send you a 'friend flies free' voucher, so you can effectively double up on the free flight.

Just like John says, it is very annoying that BA only give reduced miles and no status points on discounted economy fares. Their marketing department want shooting as these are often the people who fly a lot who are exactly the ones you want to breed loyalty in. So their exec club really is aptly named! It certainly isn't frequent flyer program. The downside to BA is that I only flew with them half as much last year as I might have done, and because of this their only competitor on the Manchester-Frankfut route, Lufthansa, got all the other flights. It ultimately transpires that my flights to and from Florida are with Lufthansa because of this. Bit of a blunder there on BA's part you've got to think!

SunLover
10-12-2004, 18:50
We are Vigin Flying Club Silver Members like John, and would agree that you can accumulate a huge amount of points seemingly very quickly. Plus, as previously mentioned, there is a huge choice of things to spend your points on with Virgin, not just flights. :)

brizzle
10-12-2004, 19:12
I've got 20,000 virgin miles pretty quickly through a combination of flying and using the Virgin credit card (1 point per £1 spent and 1,000 points for just getting it).
I also booked a car through Avis with my work account and got another 1,000 points for the round trip to Gatwick.

I think I can get a free companion flight when I buy my next flight but I think the better way to use them is the milesplusmoney option.
For 2,000 of the points I can get 40% off an economy return flight.
I costed a return flight for March at £252 with all taxes etc which was pretty good.
I'll probably use them for a trip during the school holidays late in the year to reduce the raised flight prices.

I just wish I would have registered a bit sooner.
The points will expire three years after your last flight so quite a bit of leeway too.

Brizzle.

Katys Grandad
10-12-2004, 19:47
Thanks for everybody's advice and experiences. One of the things that I find so difficult is understanding the terms of the various schemes. I have most of my miles with AA Advantage and can't make much sense of how it works. There are around 4 levels of membership, something called elite status and more rules than in golf with a different set for US and European travel.

Far too much for a simple man such as me.

Matt
10-12-2004, 19:57
Brizzle,

My only concern with the milesplusmoney option is that you do not earn any miles or tier points on those fares and therefore loose your membership status.

I usually purchase a Premium Economy ticket and use miles to upgrade to Upper Class. That way I still earn miles and tier points on the Premium ticket.

Matt

lambdeng
11-12-2004, 03:35
You may find a carrier that will convert all your small amounts of miles from different carriers to vtheir scheme. I fly every week using BMI who will convert from a number of airlines. This works well as they are part of the star alliance - I can book flights to orlando with US, AA or even Virgin under the scheme. I get enough for about 3 or 4 flights a year to the states. Check out their webiste www.flybmi.com

Gary

Robert5988
11-12-2004, 06:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Thanks for everybody's advice and experiences. One of the things that I find so difficult is understanding the terms of the various schemes. I have most of my miles with AA Advantage and can't make much sense of how it works. There are around 4 levels of membership, something called elite status and more rules than in golf with a different set for US and European travel.

Far too much for a simple man such as me.[/quote]

I also am with AAdvantage.

It should not be forgotten that AA are part of the One World Alliance of several major airline(including BA) and miles accrued on these can be used on AA and vice versa.

Assuming you fly on discounted fares the rules are less difficult. It is when you fly on other tariffs that the real complications set in.

On discounted fares it is just your actual miles flown(not bonus miles) that count toward elite status.
You need 25,000 in a calendar year for Gold status, 50,000 for Platinum and 100,000 for Executive Platinum status. So to get Gold you need the equivalent of 3 return trips UK to Florida in the year.

You can earn bonus miles in a number of ways.

You need 40,000 miles(of any kind) for a free return trip UK – USA in winter and 60,000 in summer. So as an Orlando trip earns approx 10,000 miles if booked on line you can get a free winter trip every 4 journeys.

The advantages if you can get Gold or Platinum status are huge. 25% extra bonus miles for Gold and 100% for Platinum. You check in at the first class desk, load first regardless of your seat, can pre-book any seat in coach. You get 4 x 500 mile upgrade passes for use in the USA on internal flights.

I fly to the USA 6/7 times every year on discounted fares and, for me, the biggest advantage is to use my miles to upgrade on every return flight – some outbound flights and on every internal flight.

Katys Grandad
11-12-2004, 08:28
Robert - that's very helpful. Like you I am as interested in upgrades as in free flights but I note that AA Advantage have changed their rules from 1 December 2004 meaning that a one-way upgrade that was 25000 miles is now 25000 PLUS $250!! I don't know how that will affect you but I see it as much less attractive than it was. Additionally, I think they have now discontinued the 4x500 miles upgrades. The details are on the website but I don't think they took the trouble to advise their members direct.

Robert5988
11-12-2004, 15:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Robert - that's very helpful. Like you I am as interested in upgrades as in free flights but I note that AA Advantage have changed their rules from 1 December 2004 meaning that a one-way upgrade that was 25000 miles is now 25000 PLUS $250!! I don't know how that will affect you but I see it as much less attractive than it was. Additionally, I think they have now discontinued the 4x500 miles upgrades. The details are on the website but I don't think they took the trouble to advise their members direct.[/quote]

You are correct about the $250 co-pay making upgrading a lot less attractive On some airlines you can only upgrade using miles if you have booked in one of the higher classes of coach fare(flexible) –or a similar co-pay system. There has been an outcry in USA about the $250 and with any luck that will be modified – not holding out much hope though.

I didn’t see anything about stopping the 4 x 500 mile upgrades though – I will need to look at the site again. You can buy them for $25 each if you have an elite membership. – pity you can’t use them on transatlantic flights.

The co-pay was introduced as you say from 01 Dec however I booked and ‘paid’ with airmiles for upgrades on my next 3 trips before that date so I don’t have to pay.

Also I fly during summer on the Manchester – Boston route which is a coach class only 757 – this however has the USA internal first class seats in the first 6 rows(i.e. 2 x 2 seating with more legroom) and I can normally get in those seats.

The consensus of opinion is that it is still about the best reward scheme although the changes have had less affect on the internal USA traveler – the majority.

Katys Grandad
11-12-2004, 16:02
Thanks again Robert.

Nice move on your part to pre-book the upgrades pre-1 December. I suppose that at the current exchange rates $250 dollars to upgrade to a seat that would cost many times more still represents reasonable value especially if you compare it to 'Premium' economy seats which in my view are nowhere near as good.

adh619
12-12-2004, 01:39
I have moaned about Virgin but have to admit their flying club scheme is very good. We go to the Us about 4 times per year and the miles soon mount up. We also collect through our Amex card - we have had three free flights from Virgin over the last 4 years.

Elaine62
06-07-2007, 12:29
Couldn't find a more up to date post, hopefully someone can help.

I've just registered with Virgin's flying club, do I need to register my husband and daughter separately or if they travel with me on a booking i made will we get qualifying points for all 3 flights?

Elaine

Robert5988
06-07-2007, 12:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I've just registered with Virgin's flying club, do I need to register my husband and daughter separately or if they travel with me on a booking i made will we get qualifying points for all 3 flights?[/quote]

I think with all FF schemes you have to register each passenger separately to have the miles credited to their account.

i.e. You can't get miles for the 3 people credited to your FF account even if the booking is in your name.

andrewmckay5
06-07-2007, 13:49
Elaine,
make sure you intrduce your family through the miles more friends form so you get points when they fly.
Also unless you are a Gold member (I think) you will not get a membership for your daughter if she is too young.
andrew

ravtino
06-07-2007, 14:51
As far as I am aware its only adult fares that can register, my son who is 11 does not qualify.

mfairhurst
06-07-2007, 14:57
We fly with DELTA a lot and get a good price and lots of AIR MILES we have had 2 free flights each and if you stay at MARRIOTTS AND HILTON and some other hotels you get air miles too .
We stay a night or 2 in these hotels if someoone is in our villa when we first arrive or at the end and they soon add up .
When you first join you get a lot of miles to start you of .
MAUREEN www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Mo Green
06-07-2007, 20:54
We also fly mainly Delta for the price and have a Delta Visa card which we use for all purchases so have accumulated quite a lot of miles. In the past we have not been able to commit ourselves to dates until it is too late to use the miles but at last we can start using them.
We have booked flights end December from Gatwick to Tampa(via New York) then a week later Tampa to Chicago to visit son and then Chicago to Gatwick (via New York). Six flights for a total of £67 tax each.
Also decided to look at April. To our amazement it was less miles to fly business/first class than economy so we have return business flights Gatwick to New York and first class returns New York to Tampa for the price of £100 tax each.
At last our years of being loyal to Delta have paid off.:D:D:D

domster
06-07-2007, 23:30
Yes. They will have to join too. It is worth it if you intend to use Virgin a lot.

mfairhurst
07-07-2007, 16:14
HI MO .
How did you get a DELTA visa card ,We though it was just for AMERICANS .
Please advise DM me .
MUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Mo Green
08-07-2007, 00:21
Hi Maureen
The Delta Visa card advertised in their in flight magazines is only for Americans but MBNA Bank Europe have been offering a Visa card with Delta SkyMiles for a couple of years. A standard card costs £50 per year but there is 2500 miles the first time you use the card.
We put every purchase we can on it and it is amazing how the miles add up.
Mo

wrpac00
08-07-2007, 16:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ravtino
As far as I am aware its only adult fares that can register, my son who is 11 does not qualify.
[/quote]

They can join when they are 12.

wrpac00
08-07-2007, 16:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mo Green
Hi Maureen
The Delta Visa card advertised in their in flight magazines is only for Americans but MBNA Bank Europe have been offering a Visa card with Delta SkyMiles for a couple of years. A standard card costs £50 per year but there is 2500 miles the first time you use the card.
We put every purchase we can on it and it is amazing how the miles add up.
Mo
[/quote]

Your right Mo, I have 173553 miles on Virgin plus a free companion fare. I use my Virgin CC for everything I can, I do pay £115 a year for it though.