PDA

View Full Version : Arriving late evening xmas eve

NickClark
07-12-2004, 21:01
We arrive around 7pm xmas eve. This seemed a great idea when we were booking but now the reality has hit home that everywhere is probably going to be closed, supermarkets etc. Can anyone tell me what is open and what the likleyhood of us buying christmas day lunch ingredients are. I have assumed the worst and booked to stay at Universals Portefino Bay for two days even though we have booked a villa through this site (Ours has been delayed again, late January now, fingers crossed)can't bear the thought of us atarving for 2 days.

blott
07-12-2004, 21:37
Well, I don't think you're going to starve at the hotel!

Here's Publix store hours (just click on the store) http://store.publix.com/publix/cgi/selection?mapid=US&place=kissimmee&region=FL%2CUS&zip=&x=27&y=11

Winn Dixie http://www.winndixie.com/locations/Return.asp?City=KISSIMMEE&State=FL&Service=0

Wal-Mart 24 hours stores should still be open as well as 24 hour Walgreens, Eckerds, etc but you're not likely to get a whole turkey at the last two!

Alternatively, why not book up for a meal out? Most of the bigger hotels offer something special for Christmas day in the way of meals.

DarrenShort
07-12-2004, 22:43
I am pretty sure that the WalMart on US27 near Southern Dunes is open on Xmas Day (although they are limited hours).

chrizzy100
07-12-2004, 22:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NickClark
We arrive around 7pm xmas eve. This seemed a great idea when we were booking but now the reality has hit home that everywhere is probably going to be closed, supermarkets etc. Can anyone tell me what is open and what the likleyhood of us buying christmas day lunch ingredients are. I have assumed the worst and booked to stay at Universals Portefino Bay for two days even though we have booked a villa through this site (Ours has been delayed again, late January now, fingers crossed)can't bear the thought of us atarving for 2 days.
[/quote]

I don't think you'll starve to death in a hotel.....we spent last Christmas in a hotel.....and we're still alive and well........:D:D

wrpac00
07-12-2004, 23:33
All of Publix stores are closing at 7pm on Xmas eve, I think Walamrts are closing at a similar time. The rason I know this is I have some renters from Canada that are not landing until 21:30 on Xmas eve and wanted to know where they could shop. I emailed Publix and Walmart, Publix said 7pm and Walmart said it was down to individual stores but it was unlikely any would be open after 8pm.

I have now arranged with my MC to get some shopping for them.

KarenScott
08-12-2004, 00:22
Could you not get the owner to arrange some shopping for you rather than stay in a hotel after all you have the use of a fab villa and then going to stay elsewhere?
Alternatively I'm sure that there would be many recommendations for a good restaurant to eat in for Christmas Day?
I know I would rather stay in a villa and either eat out or arrange to have some supplies in rather than up sticks to a hotel for a couple of nights.

fiona
08-12-2004, 04:58
Some Walgreens will probably be open - you can get some essentials such as coffee, tea, milk, sugar, bread, eggs, butter, cheese etc.

However if you are a hotel for nights of 24 and 25 assume you will eat around Universal area then or in the hotel? Are you planning to go to Universal for Xmas? We have and it's great fun. We go to the cinema every Christmas Day when we are in Florida as it has become our florida christmas tradition! We have a nice lunch at one of the buffet restaurants and then on to the cinema.

All the shops will be open by the 26th so you won't starve! When are you planning to eat your Christmas lunch or have I misunderstood your post?

hurricanesarah
10-12-2004, 04:24
Could you not find a shop that you can buy your groceries online and have it delivered for you and pay by credit card or something, like Tesco's does here????

esprit
10-12-2004, 18:22
Some of the convenience stores will be open, even on Xmas Day. A good many of them are Asian run as they are in the UK and if you are Hindu, Xmas is just another day.

MAKRIDA
18-12-2004, 02:04
The walmart Superstores, ( hwy 192, Osceola parkway, and the one one the corner of Sand Lake road and John Young Parkway) are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, Including bank holidays. You will be able to get everything you need on Xmas eve night or Xmas day morning. Because of the time difference you are likely to be awake very early on Xmas day anyway. Depending on where you're staying there may be one closer, but these are the ones that I am familiar with. They have a huge selection of foods, bakery, meat, veggies etc.

kaysvacationvilla
18-12-2004, 04:41
The Walmart on 192 near will be closing at 6:00 PM on Christmas Eve and will then open again on December 26 at 6:00AM. This is information received directly from that store by a telephone call. They said some Wal-mart stores may close earlier than 6:00pm on Christmas Eve.

Andy & Arlene
19-12-2004, 15:24
The Walmart on the 192 has always closed at 6pm on xmas eve. I am usually there at that time standing in the mile long queues. However, not this year [msnsad]. It will probably be Asda here, instead [msneek]

wrpac00
21-12-2004, 01:35
Not open 24 hours a day 365 days a year then[:I] As I said earlier I knew that as I made enquiries with both Publix and Walmarts so time ago.

Jill
21-12-2004, 02:09
The Walmart on the US27 at Southern Dunes is closed on Christmas Day

LiesaAnna
21-12-2004, 15:18
ask the MC to get some supplies! am sure they'd be only to happy to oblige! after all it is christmas!![xmas1]

esprit
21-12-2004, 19:17
Winn Dixie at Formosa is opening Xmas Day till 3.

MaggieAllan
21-12-2004, 19:20
Thanks for that Julie, we might just make it if we land on time...thought we might have to just get what we could at a petrol station.