PDA

View Full Version : new ride at Epcot?

janny
28-11-2002, 01:30
details of new ride

* The queuing area inside the International Space Training
Center, contains a series of railed areas, similar to Test Track, with a huge Gravity Wheel suspended on one of the walls. There are a number of International flags hanging from the ceiling, representing the International feeling of the training centre.
* The flight pods each contain 4 seats, with dividers running between each seat.
* Each seat is equipped with an 'over-the-shoulder' restraint, and its own sound system.
* The pod's interior is very detailed, with a large number of controls and displays in front of the seats, each equipped with a joystick. The pods are far larger than the Cyber Space mountain pods. Standing is possible, similar to Star Tours in scale, but obviously only sized for 4 persons.
* The ride is going to begin with the launch countdown, expect some psychological effects to build the tension here.
* As launch approaches, the seats will roll back into the launch position (facing upwards, on your back), you will feel the engines roar, and blast off. Expect to be faced with large G Forces, and an immense feeling of speed as the craft escapes the Earth's pull.
* During the flight there will be simulated weightlessness effects.
* Each member of the 4 person team will have a mission to do during the flight. The outcome of the mission will depend on how well the team performed.
anyone fancy this?

esprit
28-11-2002, 03:08
Not really. Am always the weakest link in these simulator things. Husband and boys are used to them via computer games and it is always "Oh Mum, not like that", "chronic score" or whatever. Seriously brought the team score down in MIB or was it Buzz Lightyear and ended up not very popular. They get SO competitive, must be a "man" thing. Anyway, this sounds a real boys ride to me.

floridahol
05-03-2003, 02:30
Sounds cool Janny. they just won't build a 'normal' ride in EPCOT will they?! O well. Does anyone know when it opens? I was in the park last week and it looks pretty much complete and ready to go... wonder if they have delayed opening due to sensitivity over recent shuttle disaster. anyone got any inside knowledge?

speaking of which how did you find out all this detail about a ride which hasnt opened yet Janny?! Disney are notoriously secretive when it comes to developing rides/shows.

good work though!

Will
www.floridahol.com

Lesley S
05-03-2003, 02:33
What will the height restriction be for this ride.

pbensur
08-03-2003, 23:13
The flight pods only seat 4?? With 5 of us, there's my excuse to avoid that one! Just like you, Julie, I am always the weakest link in my crowd! Believe me, when my kids have to choose whether their father or I will accompany them on this ride, it won't be me who wins the vote!

fiona
12-03-2003, 13:29
"Mission: Space" Disney's next big E-ticket type attraction is taking shape in its location in Future World in Epcot.

The attraction will offer guests a one-of-a-kind experience, “Mission:SPACE” will be launching visitors into a simulated space adventure. Visitors will experience a pulse-racing lift-off followed by the experience of weightlessness in outer space.

Created by former NASA advisors, astronauts and scientists, along
with the Walt Disney Imagineering team they created “Mission:SPACE”. The attraction will be using new technologies, which will make it the first ride system ever created to take attraction visitors straight up in a simulated flight experience.

On a recent backstage tour at WDW, while touring around the WDW machine shops area, 12 Mission Space ride vehicles were clearly visible to the tour group. The vehicles on inspection to the details of the vehicles, had an exterior that was white in color, and had four seats in a row with dividers running between each seat, which were facing four monitors and control switches. Each seat is equipped with a locking "over-the-shoulder" harness restraint, and its own sound system built into the seats. The vehicles interior seemed to be very detailed, having a large number of controls and displays in front of each seat, along with a joystick that each guest will use. Standing in the vehicle is possible, similar to Body Wars in scale, but only sized for four Guests. The vehicles had the front portion folded downwards, which looked to be the position that it will be in for loading and unloading of the vehicle.

As you approach the pavilion you will notice in the plaza outside the building, four planetary objects.The first is of the Planet Earth, which has the "Mission Space" Logo with a Space vehicle appearing to be taking off in front of it.

To the far left you will pass by a scale model of our moon, which has different colored markers that indicate the 30 landing sites of missions to the moon between 1959 and 1976 that were flown by all world countries of Earth.

The third planet is multi colored and is to the right near the exit area.The large red planetary object is where the entrance to the attraction will allow guests to enter. This is where you first enter the attractions Queue line. The entrance will Distribution areacontain a series of railed off areas that will separate the Fast Pass return line visitors, from the Stand-By line anthe Single Riders Line Distribution area to enter where you will pick up your Fast Pass that will allow you to return later for your ride. Digital displays located overhead, let you know the wait time for each line category.

Along the outer walls of the Planetary plaza area, you will see
plaques that have quotes from famous people pertaining to space flight through the ages.

Upon entering the attraction you will be brought into a queue area that is suppose to represent a futuristic International Space Training Center. Suspended on one of the walls will be a huge Gravity Wheel along with a number of International flags hanging from the ceiling, which will give it a International feeling for the training center.

The ride system is being manufactured by Entertainment Technology Corporation. ETC builds human centrifuges that create 25 G's [1 to 15 G's in one second!], large-scale intelligent VR training simulators, to creating the next generation of motion-based simulation attractions which will be able to allow sustained G's and continuous 360º motion in up to four axes on the ride.

The ride will begin with the launch countdown, and they throw in some Psychological effects that will help build the tension you might experience before a launch. As the countdown approaches the launch, the seats will drift back into the launch position of facing to the sky, on your back. At lift off you will feel the engines roar, and blast off. The ride will create large G Forces, and tremendous feeling of increasing speed as the craft escapes the Earth's gravitational pull.

As the flight continues there will be a simula

imported_n/a
13-03-2003, 17:16
does anyone know when this new ride opens

athurstance
13-03-2003, 18:56
I think it is scheduled to open late Summer 2003 but based on past experience it will probably be late. There are some rumours going around that they may be doing some pre-soft opening testing very shortly.

Angela

esprit
29-03-2003, 00:41
The rumours on Walt Disney Insider are now are that this will open around Memorial Day. That is late May I think???

blott
29-03-2003, 02:49
Memorial Day is 26 May in 2003, if that's any help?

esprit
29-03-2003, 03:36
Just read on another site that they think they may delay the proposed opening out of respect for the Columbia tragedy, though it also says that Eisner is very keen to get the ride open for July 4th. Answer is I think, the opening date is anyones guess at the moment.

esprit
23-04-2003, 19:54
It has just been announed that the much delayed opening of his ride will now be August 15th. That is official ( supposedly)